Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Soldiers and what we were aimed for

Soldiers and what we were aimed for

When I started this game I believed soldier were a ranged (but lower) alternative to Enforcers in PVM, as well as major tanking order in Notum wars PVP.

As I see major patches go by, I understand that FC has improved the soldier profession with better weapons (Sharks, Dreadloch Sharks). But tbh, overall I see this profession dieing.

In my ideal, Soldiers were always the alternative tankers, taking damage like almost nobody, and dealing acceptable damage. Soldier were noble and while the profession is not an easy one, we made it. We were wanted and appreciated. We were feared and looked up.

..................then came 17.1....
    .....................then came 17.2.............................................. .................and 17.3

question is simple: how is FC seeing the soldier profession in the future?

Is 17.4 looking back at Notum Wars the way it was with soldiers with a role? or not?

I'm saying this because (and very like Enforcers), Soldiers are dieing.

there is no longer any momentum, the weak ones are already rerolling and will certainly quit, but many are just quitting, and those I talked to have been here a lot longer than me, some since 2001.

Help us preserve this profession, help us preserve AO.
    Thanks for listening.
    Ocene

Soldiers deal uber damage, have moderate staying power in pvp and uber staying power in pvm. What's your beef? Some of us played the weakest professions with no DD, no pvp and pvm capability for the majority of players and really just gimped our way through. We are now finally getting a little love to put us in the place which was previously reserved for grossly unbalanced professions.

You aren't nerfed, the rest of us just got a little closer to where you've been.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Give us reflects that work again.
    Vinyaya, 220/15/18 Omni Solitus Soldier of Cosmic Forklift Inc. [RK1][Retired]
    Kyuusaisha, 220/30/68 Neutral Solitus Doctor of Elite Operations [RK1]

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    You aren't nerfed, the rest of us just got a little closer to where you've been.
    Good point.

can't believe I just agreed with masta
    Reziukas 220/30 Soldier Equipment Screenshot Epeen
    Squad Commander of Riders of the Lost Org
    First omni owner of Superior Rebuilt Perennium Blaster on RK1
    Aide Rezidoc 220/25 Doctor Equipment Screenshot Epeen++
    The first and only doc on RK1 to do 200k DPM on LoTV!
    First owner of Alien Combat Directive Controller on RK1
    First doc to OD a clan zergbot twice.
    First TL7 doc to get 3rd and 4th solo titles.
    [Jagfixarinte]: think u got lootrights:P
    [Questra]: did you just get loot on Libra?

So what patch exactly made you unable to tank things? I dont recall any.

Actually, looking at pre-LE notum wars, I don't think any prof should be able to tank 20-30 people no matter how many docs are healing your a$$
    Reziukas 220/30 Soldier Equipment Screenshot Epeen
    Squad Commander of Riders of the Lost Org
    First omni owner of Superior Rebuilt Perennium Blaster on RK1
    Aide Rezidoc 220/25 Doctor Equipment Screenshot Epeen++
    The first and only doc on RK1 to do 200k DPM on LoTV!
    First owner of Alien Combat Directive Controller on RK1
    First doc to OD a clan zergbot twice.
    First TL7 doc to get 3rd and 4th solo titles.
    [Jagfixarinte]: think u got lootrights:P
    [Questra]: did you just get loot on Libra?

After getting over the nerf to reflects and stuff.. I'm getting used to it, and dont really see much difference. I even perked back from my nr setup (had like 3300 usually with buffs). Started doing a little more battlestation again after being bored. Well, i see that this stuff is making more people enjoy pvp. And im still able to hold off my death for awhile (unless theres a couple nts that put their eyes on me).

If people are leaving the soldier profession, we need to show that soldiers still rule.
    And just keep wishing that we get some rewards for staying in there.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    So what patch exactly made you unable to tank things? I dont recall any.
    Thats right, we still can't tank for shades or MAs on admirals. Nothing changed there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta View Post
    Soldiers deal uber damage, have moderate staying power in pvp and uber staying power in pvm. What's your beef? Some of us played the weakest professions with no DD, no pvp and pvm capability for the majority of players and really just gimped our way through. We are now finally getting a little love to put us in the place which was previously reserved for grossly unbalanced professions.

Please keep the discussion to its original post, I understand other profs had even more issues..this is a soldier post, and not one meant to compare it to other profs. If unsure reread the post. Maybe even twice

I figured out a way to get our old reflects back so it's not that big of an issue for me anymore. But it does seem like we're becoming less powerful, and truth be told i would greatly appreciate a better heal with the research lines or a new "improved" one more hit healing. Its kinda ridiculous that we have about 17-18k hp and only get a 300 heal with a tiny DoT on it :*(
    Dysfunktion.
    Trypants.
    Setup.
    One bright day in the middle of the night,
    Two dead boys got up to fight.
    Back to back they faced each other,
    Drew their swords, and Shot each other.
    A deaf policeman heard the noise,
    He came and killed those two dead boys.
    If you don't believe this lie is true... ask the Blind Man, He saw it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dysfunktion View Post
    I figured out a way to get our old reflects back so it's not that big of an issue for me anymore. (
    oh? share!

IMO gtfo of our forum. kthx

We all know you're just posting this drivel in an attempt to annoy.
    ACCOUNT STATUS
    Cancelled

WoW ftw.

from what I can remember in a pm that Sil sent me was that soldiers were supposed to be a hybrid tank/DD. But that only occurs in teams, solo we have to kite most of the time after ams is down so we wont die, and in pvp we have lost our luster. Sure we hit harder now after 3.5 years or so when the spb released(correct me if i'm wrong) and evaders complain that evades are nerfed cause we need less bullets to cap due to the huge damage increase.

From this point, we should ask FC, what is their vision for soldiers now? we lost a good portion of pvp viability with the reflect nerfs(still do good damage, but next to nothing in defense wise), I have doubts that the new soldier ring is going to be useful, our LE nano is pointless and i dobut we will be getting anything cooler for a while. Guess that that shark was a present to hold us off for another 3.5 years while FC fixes everyone else.
    Spartanx9 220/25/70 -Inactive
    [TR]Zuka Zamamee level 50 Grenadier, Executive of Aethyr Knights, Pegasus Server. -Long Live TR-

Silirrion:I was a gimp

I stand alone on the road to hell.

Check the active 201+ traders and the active 201+ Sols/Enfos and you will see how completely wrong your argument is.

Or.. just roll a trader/NT if you want to join the "winnerprofession".
    Thats what we got told for the last 2 years as soon as we complained about something.
    Last edited by Shareida; Mar 14th, 2007 at 23:42:18.
    Neophyte Nerf"Shareida"Batted First Order
    Freshman Jefferey"Bailan2"Ginsberg - Retired
    Shareidah - First Order

Quote Originally Posted by Lazy View Post
    it's written in the bible.
    Matthew 23:13 "and the trader hath casteth bulk trader at the young age of 14. and it was good. and so he hath an extra 260 comp lit and he hath equippeth better ncu's. and it was good too.
    A Producer's point of view

According to your auno link (may be out dated) i can understand you claiming you die alot on pvp, Sharieda.

We are adapting to adjustments like anyone else.
    Posted by Seventh: Has something to do with the fact that RL speaking im 172 sm high and weight 96 kg, all of which come in muscle form (and guessing your reaction about forum pvp, yes i can log into webcam )

Said the pixels lol..

Quote Originally Posted by Shareida View Post
    Check the active 201+ traders and the active 201+ Sols/Enfos and you will see how completely wrong your argument is.
    so you mean that chars made 2 - 3- 4 and even 5 years ago says how good/bad soldiers are doing now?
    lolz @ cluelessness!

soldiers are very entitled as to asking what is intended and aimed for imo since all the changes to pvp have occured and our main(only pretty much) defence got severily weakened.
    Lillagumman 220/24 Soldier stuff
    Shibari 220/14 Crat Shibari about to be reconfigurated stuff
    Froo 165/12 Adventurer
    no i dont have more alts.
    I miss Satenia
    Sith of Avatars Reloaded

I'm not here to start a flame war or whatever but to express my opinion on where the soldier (and some others) profession is going:

How I see it is FC is trying to balance offense/defense - pvm/pvp... which, maybe for interested reasons... I find fine.

For a long time (very long) 2/3 rd of the professions have been used to enjoy upper medium stats in all thoses characteristics.
    1/3 rd of the professions (the ones that have been called the whiners) have had to live with largely sub stats in all of thoses characteristics.

So the definition of a soldier as a great tank dealing nice dmg, pvm and pvp wise is getting dented... I think FC has chosen to nerf your defenses pvp wise.

NTs have been, well, whining for ages and insisting on getting our glass canon status: and we finaly got it pvp wise (not pvm yet alas)... which also explain why NTs get outraged at the idee of whatever we very newly got to be nerfed... we have followed the path of the nerfed for ages.

I think you'd better be clear to FC what the profession would realistically choose.

This is my opinion, not lobbying, nor trolling, flaming, just an out of the profession look at it.

nb1: yup I'm clearly a pvm player but not completely idiot or death
    nb2: plz no: "pre NG, decently skilled NTS were doing fine (pvp wise I suspect)" may work with me but won't with ALOT of pvping NTS.
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

imo we are just fine IF only FC makes new shark with .1 equip time .. or lower the EC3 and shark equip on 1 sec.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockshox View Post
    After getting over the nerf to reflects and stuff.. I'm getting used to it, and dont really see much difference. I even perked back from my nr setup (had like 3300 usually with buffs). Started doing a little more battlestation again after being bored. Well, i see that this stuff is making more people enjoy pvp. And im still able to hold off my death for awhile (unless theres a couple nts that put their eyes on me).

If people are leaving the soldier profession, we need to show that soldiers still rule.
    And just keep wishing that we get some rewards for staying in there.
    I agree we need some pvp videos of soldiers taking care of buisness to boost morale or something. As for whining about NTs I got over it because I noticed once you dropped you alpha first rarely would they make through. Still have beef with FC lovechild Adv but thats a losing battle.

all in all I say im pretty happy with the progress thats been made.
    Zim: The MegaDooomer Gir, The most powerful stealth robot in the Irken military.

Gir: *gasp* It's got chicken legs!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast