Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.

Quote Originally Posted by Crisalys View Post
    bah- time for a minor necro-bump.
    There still is...
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

The one that bothers me a whole lot is "I before E except after C", more because that's actually responding to education rather than ignoring it.

Certainly I was only ever taught "I before E except after C" - I was never taught the full "I before E except after C or if pronounced 'ay' as in 'neighbour' and 'weigh'... unless it's weird." And judging by what I see an awful lot on the internet (especially 'wierd'), neither (or should that be 'niether'?) were a lot of other people.

Come to think of it, who studies "sceince" - we don't have I before E after C after all.

So... who is guilty of this utterly stupid mnemonic and why is it taught in schools, anyway?
    Last edited by Monczeleet; Sep 11th, 2008 at 19:31:29.
    Roland "Monczeli" Faoláin - 189/11/42 - Assembly

egadsrk2: I can't recall the last time I played this game with pants on.

Quote Originally Posted by Monczeleet View Post
    The one that bothers me a whole lot is "I before E except after C", more because that's actually responding to education rather than ignoring it.

Certainly I was only ever taught "I before E except after C" - I was never taught the full "I before E except after C or if pronounced 'ay' as in 'neighbour' and 'weigh'... unless it's weird." And judging by what I see an awful lot on the internet (especially 'wierd'), neither (or should that be 'niether'?) were a lot of other people.

Come to think of it, who studies "sceince" - we don't have I before E after C after all.

So... who is guilty of this utterly stupid mnemonic and why is it taught in schools, anyway?
    There is no spoon...
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nuhmudira View Post
    What about the word "stupider". I have a crap memory, but something tells me that my elementary school teacher, back in the early '90s, once told me that "stupider" is not a word. Yet for some reason I see it in the dictionary. If it's always been a word, well, I guess I'm thinking of something else... but seeing someone and/or hearing someone use the word "stupider" makes me claw my fekking eyes out.
    I'd go with the your English Teacher on that one... I learned that in my old Elementary School English class as well, in that you should use "more stupid" rather than "stupider".

Although I suppose on a purely linguistic level, "stupider" IS a word in that it follows the er/est rule (stupid, stupider and stupidest), it's not a really good one and makes you want to respond with "It's the pot calling the kettle black"... like "ain't" is a word, but it's not a grammatically correct one.
    Christine "Crisalys" Kochanski 220/30/70 Nanomage Nano-Technician

License Plates: 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 Plate Debate has ended!

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,
    Crisalys has played 482 days 15 hours 48 minutes 36 seconds

There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.
    What annoys you most at work?

A thread 3 pages long about the word 'definitely'
    Toons
    Fulllauto( 170/21/42 - 88% complete pvp toon

member of Black bands

Rob Dougan - Rage against The Machines
    System Of A Down - Chop Suey
    Avril Lavigne - Happy Ending
    50 Cent - Many Men

Quote Originally Posted by Fulllauto View Post
    A thread 3 pages long about the word 'definitely'
    It's Reet's Retreat... all for fun, hehe
    Christine "Crisalys" Kochanski 220/30/70 Nanomage Nano-Technician

License Plates: 2007 / 2008 / 2009 / 2010 / 2011 / 2012 Plate Debate has ended!

Crisalys was born on Fri, Mar 29, 18:48:45, 2002, and as of November 6, 2011, 04:11 GMT,
    Crisalys has played 482 days 15 hours 48 minutes 36 seconds

There is DEFINITELY no letter "A" in the word DEFINITELY.
    What annoys you most at work?

more complicated than that but heh

http://www.friends.hosted.pl/redrim/Reading_Test.jpg

important thing is to understand each other guys !
    Amordoki 220 nm NT
    Amorforcer 214 trox ENFO
    Amorotti 177 solitus DOC
    Amorexia 150 opi SHADE

I personaly think the mistake a lot of people make with "your" and "you're" is a larger issue
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    I personaly think the mistake a lot of people make with "your" and "you're" is a larger issue
    agreed

I interpret most common misspellings with poor phonetics and bad modeling of speech from peers/parents/teachers et cetera. People tend to spell words how they pronounce them until they take correction seriously.
    Chihirosen 220 Adventurer
    Mononokehime 220 Shade
    Proctologist 205 Doctor

Spelling is closely tied to the amount of text you read in a certain language imo. Not something I can prove, and there are exceptions ofcourse, but generally I think people who reads a lot, be that books or news papers, generally spells better than people who doesn't.

One thing is for sure, my written english is not a result of a good english teacher, it's the result of me starting to read english litterature at an early age. Reading a lot of litterature will also improve your vocabulary significantly.

English isn't my first language by the way
    Last edited by Avari; Sep 24th, 2008 at 23:42:58.
    Avari 220/30/80 - Araghos 220/30/80 - Shishido 220/30/7x - Araninn 220/30/80

Quote Originally Posted by Tergx
    If one of the few traders are PvPing around you and land GTH on you, take a trip to decon and it will be gone. What's the big deal hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by Avari View Post
    English isn't my first language by the way

I noticed from your second sentence. I also have to admit, your English skills are better than what I've seen from some native speakers.

I'm still trying to figure out which language is your first, though. I would say it's definitely not German, but past that I can't really tell.

ever noticed how many unnecessary hyphens that germans place in english?
    [All Towers] The omni organization loves Toxor .. awww.

[Clockwork Inc.] Toxor: !blacklist Mostadio this ****tard wouldnt make my carb :@
    [Clockwork Inc.] Omgbot: Thank you Toxor. Reputation / Blacklist info about Mostadio has been stored in the Clockwork Inc.-archives
    [Clockwork Inc.] Toxor: thats cool
    [Clockwork Inc.] Mostadio: ROOOOOOOOOFL
    [Org. Msg.] Mostadio kicked Toxor from your organization.

i cna splel vrey bestest and i defnately no stpuid
    Ofab - Doctor [e]
    Clipfury - Soldier
    R22866281602 - Bureaucrat
    Icey2 - Soldier [deleted]
    First to receive an infraction worth 1337 points.

Bump this thread for Black Atroxes!

OMG YOU AM NAB!!!

see I r Spell Gud.

u Suck at inglesh.

Quote Originally Posted by Shichiroji View Post
    I've always wondered where "definately" originated...in my opinion, it doesn't even make phonetic sense.
    I know where. Dream Warriors - My Definition Of A Boombastic Jazz Style 1990. He clearly says definatly! And thats where we foreigners learn english, not our schools.

At 2:06:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfx7tvGisbA

worths the necro, still way too many ppl make the mistake
    * Cryborg Nano-Technician - Have a shoulder to cry on!
    Aramlash Fixer - Can't catch me!
    Aramsunat Engineer - 4 Blockers of the Apocalypse

Devil Inside

Definite bump for this!
    Ofab - Doctor [e]
    Clipfury - Soldier
    R22866281602 - Bureaucrat
    Icey2 - Soldier [deleted]
    First to receive an infraction worth 1337 points.

Bump this thread for Black Atroxes!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast