Thread: ICC shuttleport

ICC shuttleport

Great place to play, learn the game, meet the other faction without having to defend a spot etc. ICC shuttleport aka newbie isle/ noob island etc provides all the functions needed to learn the game except... implants, pvp, mission terminals and reclaim function. YES a couple of things... 1 mish terminals... backyards have that learning tool, thats off the list now. 2 implants, Im not a very old veteran, but I remember when imps dropped off mobs on the island, they were crap mind you but still could have been used as a learning tool if there had been a clinic on the island, that remains on the list. 3 reclaim function, that again is in the backyards and works... its off the list. 4 PVP... as far as I recall the only way to learn this is to unknowingly do something on the mainland to get flagged and then discover what ganking really is.

suggestions:
    Implants, let them drop on the island again... only this time put a clinic on the island or let antonio sell the portables (cheapish around 50-100 Cr for a ql1 ? ) Keep the same junk that droped before (remember the QL 2 imp of faded vehicle water?) Its just a learning tool!

PVP sounds like a difficult problem... not really just need one room/ area that is a seperate zone. there is an unused door near the zixx on the beach that could hold the playfield (25% or 5% gas) just need to have a NPC near the door to tell and describe what could happen if you step into the " insert name of arena here " . I say just copy paste the Hope Bar minus the barkeep and the nuker. If you die... you just end up back at the beach (if your old haha back on the crashed shuttle which finally stopped burning)

just a few ideas for the learning process, bump if you agree
    Last edited by Copperneedle; Dec 7th, 2006 at 22:39:34. Reason: spelling, incomplete idea, specifics.

bump

all these changes 'for noobs' that the've been doing has all been about remove or make easier... wheres the challenge of learning how to craft for the first time when you hear about the wonderful range meter when you can just do a little simple quest to get one for free. or learning what items upgrade your weapon

as soon as a noob hits the mainland there flooded with tons of messages and confusion and a lot of them have no clue what implants are, some don't even know how to check level of other people. no clue as to what the colour of health bar means or the little red pips that pop when ur in weapons range...

maybe a change of direction to the 'noob friendly' campaign is needed. instead of removing all the things us (self-proclaimed) vets know and "cherish" to alleviate confusing add an explanation. dare i say it, direct them to the /help menu make an NPC that explains to you things or even a optional tutorial

from what i'v seen noobs are only confused untill they ask questions and someone answers.

So give them the answers instead of removing the need for a question
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

good suggestion except the pvp part. if you're a noob, pvp should be the least of your concerns. you have to learn the basic game mechanics first, the weapons etc. and while the noob island provides some of this learning, it is by no means complete.

oh yeah, bring back the alium weapons too. it is insane to see ql 8-13 kyr'ozch weaps going for tens of millions on the gms because they were nerfed from noob island.
    Oltcit - 220/24/69 troxie enf -= Proud General of Deadly Whispers =- RK1
    Roflcopterz - 220/20/60 troxie nubstick wielder

bump
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor

bump for implants knowledge

Ran into a new froob in totw lvl 30ish, all crap gear, and no implants at all. knew they existed from subway and missions, but no idea how to use them, let alone building his own.

They made newbie island easier, but then they come to the mainland at even more of a disadvantage not being able to fully grasp one of the core concepts of the game and its functionality
    "If you say 'plz' because it's shorter than 'please', I'll say 'no' because it's shorter than 'yes'."

SirNegs - Neutral Keeper
    Negs - Neutral MP
    Lode - Neutral Doctor

No. Steps in this direction lead to the same thing that lead to the creation of WoW, and the destruction of Guild Wars. This game's pride lies in being an esoteric adventure. If newbies can't take the time to learn, they shouldn't play. I watched this way of thinking literally destroy everything that Guild Wars was. ArenaNet newb-friendly'd the game into the ground. I will NOT stand by and let mah' /AO/ go to hell in a similar manner.

WoW is nothing without the websites with guides, movies and addons. That game have a lot of support.

So far I have found maybe 5 or 6 AO sites but most are old and only have the same old guides... most of the time they say nothing... just tell you the name and show you a picture of GoT or something like that. So yes you need a Org in AO. But do people tell you about everything? No, not even if you are in same Org.

So more guides would be nice. And not links from this forum. They just boring and most people do not visit this forum anyway. (can see that by looking at my GTA post... me against all... but ingame not the same hehe)

Over and out.
    Last edited by Brunte; Dec 12th, 2006 at 09:00:34.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count.
    It's the life in your years." - Abraham Lincoln.

My AO movie: Anarchy Online: From my eyes
    My AO movie: Anarchy Online: From my eyes II

Main: Brunte - Enforcer - RK 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunte View Post
    WoW is nothing without the websites with guides, movies and addons. That game have a lot of support.

So far I have found maybe 5 or 6 AO sites but most are old and only have the same old guides... most of the time they say nothing... just tell you the name and show you a picture of GoT or something like that. So yes you need a Org in AO. But do people tell you about everything? No, not even if you are in same Org.

So more guides would be nice. And not links from this forum. They just boring and most people do not visit this forum anyway. (can see that by looking at my GTA post... me against all... but ingame not the same hehe)

Over and out.
    www.aowiki.com

Go there and make your own guides.
    I made a reference to a fictional extra-terrestrial hive-mind race of beings collectively called Grthulox, and you need an indication that I'm not being completely serious?

[Infferno]: btw u are girl in rl or something ? To [Infferno]: nope To [Infferno]: 21 yo m [Infferno]: oki :> To [Infferno]: why? To [Infferno]: you wants cyb0rz? [Infferno]: stfu lol

Get to know the real Healyhatman at Healy's MySpace! Leave a comment!
    See the Healy the Atheist at The Enlightenment of the Healy - my Atheist Blog.

Quote Originally Posted by BoardTroller View Post
    No. Steps in this direction lead to the same thing that lead to the creation of WoW, and the destruction of Guild Wars. This game's pride lies in being an esoteric adventure. If newbies can't take the time to learn, they shouldn't play. I watched this way of thinking literally destroy everything that Guild Wars was. ArenaNet newb-friendly'd the game into the ground. I will NOT stand by and let mah' /AO/ go to hell in a similar manner.
    What is this way of thinking? Did you read the initial post? Or just get ornery at the idea of AO becoming newb friendly cause that's what you surmised from the thread title to go ranting and raving about how we seek the destruction of the game.

Read the initial post, read the constructive ideas posted therein and following it in the replies. We don't want AO being newb-friendly in the way of removing complications, we never said that, we want things to be added, we want things in there that prepares and teaches newbs how to play the game so that they can enjoy it and continue to play it as we do.

But, what do you care, your just someone with an ill attitude who likes to go around and bash peoples ideas because it somehow makes you feel like your better then they are. So go on, BoardTroller, live up to your aptly chosen name, troll away at our threads and ideas. But don't expect people to pay you much heed beyond skipping your posts and commenting on how utterly annoying you must be.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I want to keep my AO the way it is, lets make it complicated so we can help newbs and not just give them everything they need from the get go like this current dev path is taking us.

Come FC, listen to your players, if not ever before then now. Simplicity is not what we search for in this game. Free things are nice, but what use is things when there is no challenge to get them.

Typing in a code to get an item isn't as fun or as satisfying as getting the item yourself through trials and I like the idea of new quests on the island, new stuff and a way for them to explore the island. I'm not saying that has to change. All I'm saying is that the removal of things is making things worse. Taking away Take me to the Shop, or the Ai weapons. What purpose did that serve? Oh, to alleviate confusion in noobs?

Why not just have the Unicorn guy talk to you and explain what these aliens are, cause you didn't remove them. Frankly, I've seen a lot of people not even know they have expansions because they started on Rubi-Ka and (it being so froob friendly) never encountered anything that caused them to question or wonder. So a froob finds a AI weapon, there not gona say "This game sucks theres things I can't use" there gona ask "What is this?" and there gona get answers. If they have expansions then great, they can use it. If there froob, well now that know what there missing. They now have the hint of, "I want that" and there more likely to pay for the game just so they can.

Like I said in my previous post on this topic, give them the answers instead of removing the need for a question.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

Quote Originally Posted by Jiyrau View Post
    What is this way of thinking? Did you read the initial post? Or just get ornery at the idea of AO becoming newb friendly cause that's what you surmised from the thread title to go ranting and raving about how we seek the destruction of the game.

Read the initial post, read the constructive ideas posted therein and following it in the replies. We don't want AO being newb-friendly in the way of removing complications, we never said that, we want things to be added, we want things in there that prepares and teaches newbs how to play the game so that they can enjoy it and continue to play it as we do.

But, what do you care, your just someone with an ill attitude who likes to go around and bash peoples ideas because it somehow makes you feel like your better then they are. So go on, BoardTroller, live up to your aptly chosen name, troll away at our threads and ideas. But don't expect people to pay you much heed beyond skipping your posts and commenting on how utterly annoying you must be.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I want to keep my AO the way it is, lets make it complicated so we can help newbs and not just give them everything they need from the get go like this current dev path is taking us.

Come FC, listen to your players, if not ever before then now. Simplicity is not what we search for in this game. Free things are nice, but what use is things when there is no challenge to get them.

Typing in a code to get an item isn't as fun or as satisfying as getting the item yourself through trials and I like the idea of new quests on the island, new stuff and a way for them to explore the island. I'm not saying that has to change. All I'm saying is that the removal of things is making things worse. Taking away Take me to the Shop, or the Ai weapons. What purpose did that serve? Oh, to alleviate confusion in noobs?

Why not just have the Unicorn guy talk to you and explain what these aliens are, cause you didn't remove them. Frankly, I've seen a lot of people not even know they have expansions because they started on Rubi-Ka and (it being so froob friendly) never encountered anything that caused them to question or wonder. So a froob finds a AI weapon, there not gona say "This game sucks theres things I can't use" there gona ask "What is this?" and there gona get answers. If they have expansions then great, they can use it. If there froob, well now that know what there missing. They now have the hint of, "I want that" and there more likely to pay for the game just so they can.

Like I said in my previous post on this topic, give them the answers instead of removing the need for a question.
    I'm not going to apologize to you for having conservative feelings on the issue. Hell, I wont apologize to you for anything because you simply do not deserve it.
    You can be as defensive and insipid as you wish, but my feelings on changing things of this nature within the game are limited to precedent. I've jumped ship from a few games in my day (including AO back in the day), and have yet to see one game take an option that would mean less money for their company. Making this game gratify those who can't stand to wait and just figure things out is the first step in a long line of changes that could lead to the defamation of a great MMo. Who the hell needs to be told exactly what's going on from the get-go anyway? The casual gamer will pick up the game and wont know what's going on, so they'll quit. Anyone with a moderate amount of curiosity, intellect, and sense of patience will do what they can with the knowledge provided to them from what they've found so far in the game, and things just kind of fill themselves in from there. That's how AO works, and should continue to work.

"we want things in there that prepares and teaches newbs how to play the game so that they can enjoy it and continue to play it as we do."
    You got there somehow, didn't you? And that's how everyone else should get there too. Because that makes the game what it is.

I got there by the grace and patience of others. People taught me the game because I asked questions about things I didn't understand.

Stop trolling and start reading, I support the idea of making the game complicated, I don't want people to get rewards for nothing. I don't want this game newb-friendly'd into the ground. What I want is things to be added to the ICC Shuttleport (as this thread is about) so that it makes things harder to get going but not so hard that they quit.
    Proc Descriptions

Rimor

heh, took a few days to get a reaction. By no means am I wanting things made uber simple, if that is what you want there are plenty of people starting into the EULA banned e-baying activity (side-effect of LE coming)want it easy? go buy an account and have fun with the 220's and their credits mule and leave the players alone.

My original post simply put forth a few new ideas that could supplement what already exists, and suggests returning some game fundamentals that are not in the place that new players start to learn the game. This is the key theme of the thread : "Why does one need to leave the designated learning zone to learn the game?"