Thread: Shop variety based on location

Shop variety based on location

I remember my first day in the training grounds in AO.. it was the day of release... I clicked on the shop terminal there and low and behold there was a sabertooth trenchcoat. Suddenly I wanted it, but it was SOOOOO expensive for a noob with no money... I thought I might never see it again if I didn't buy it... so I killed mob after mob after mob, but finally realized it would be awhile before I could afford it.... then I went back to check it's price and the shop had recycled... I later found out that that was able to be bought at every store that carried trenchcoats. It made me sad that there is nothing special about the shops...

To me I felt like items shouldn't be in such great quantity... and shouldn't be at every freaking shop (there were times that they weren't)... I would just like for items that are sold in certain areas...

I'd love a reason to explore new shops in new areas, because they have different items.

I got so excited the day I was exploring clon**** and found the ruins of a city... in this city was a shop... I wondered how many people had ever been to that shop... it was very early in the game... I thought I'd go in there to find items that no one had seen before.

You can't imagine my disappointment when I found out it was exactly the same items I could get in Omni-trade with no travel.

What I am getting at is simple.. there are certain items that need to be in great quantity in all shops (clusters, implants, armor, current weapons)... but how about some regional items... like an item that only spawns in the clon**** shop... or the outpost in lush... or lush resort.... etc... etc...

It helps give more of a reason to explore and go into new shops to see what items they have that are different.

Now the original areas like Omni-Trade, Newland, Tir should have the same generic stuff... but how about other outposts, ruins, and other shops that have items that can't be found elsewhere... the items don't have to be rare or unique... they can just be special... they are similar to current weapons with modifications. How about a modified disaffiliation Sniper rifle (description: this rifle has been modified to inflict cold damage)... these weapons are just a change to existing weapons and can cost considerably. How about a Modified Support Beam (description: this beam has been embedded with a heat sensor which constanly keeps a balance of temperature in which the tip is heated to extreme levels), the beam can do fire damage. These are just thought off the top of my head...

I'd love to see a reason to stop the shop in the middle of BS (I can't, because the one I know of is a clan only).. but for someone to be able to stop there and find some different item. Something new... it's like a shiny new toy.

Plus it would be nice with the new crashing economy for some of the farthest outposts to carry some QL125+ weapons and armor... maybe just the NPC's can do this, but it doesn't have to be the items that are considered the best... I just recall recently needing QL150 and QL180 breathing spaces and having to pay a high price to get someone to take the time to get them for me... Now these items aren't that great and the money I paid is still floating around the economy... if the items were priced well, people would only use them as a lazy man's alternative or in my case, if you can't get the item yourself.

It's almost like putting in new quests to put in new items that are random spawns in far away outposts.. it takes time and effort to obtain the items... anyone who has the money and can get to the outpost can obtain them given they are currently available at the time they get there.... it's a great money sink.... it provides more of a reason to explore RK... new shops/NPC's/etc. can be added in farther away areas, who charge higher prices (I recall an NPC in a crater in Mort that would be great for this!)

Variety is the ****e of life. I'm not asking for anything to change the way any current item is... I'm asking for new items that spawn in certain locations... I want to be able to wear my rare sabertooth trenchoat that I killed many leets in earnest to acquire

~Demono
    Rookie Czarina - Opifex Pistol Crat ~220 with 19 Alien Titles~
    Czestiny - Solitus Rifle Crat ~26 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czealous - Atrox 2-handed Blunt Crat ~21 with 2 Alien Titles~
    Czombie - Nanomage Assualt Rifle Crat ~15 with 2 Alien Titles~

Proud Opifex Crat of Tranquility
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I heard the beast is rerolling as an adv

We need some special stuff... How about a few NPCs near outposts with special items?
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

Sounds good to me. That would be something interesting, instead of always finding the same Miir/OT/whatever stuff (and camping Eddie in Last Ditch for a pair of blue rubber pants LOL).

I've really wondered for a while if they were some sort of "regional costumes" out there. I guess not, but it'd be a good add-on to be able to "go to [insert village name in XX area] and go talk to [insert NPC name]" to buy this special coat that is said to be only worn in a certain place, etc etc... Just like you'd go in holidays in Japan, and come back with hakama, geta and haori to show your friends
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Originally posted by MissMaul
    We need some special stuff... How about a few NPCs near outposts with special items?
    that's exactly what I'm talking about

a good money sink... something new and cool to collect!

Hmm...I'm thinking stuff even in Trade-Tir-Newland could vary a little....
    ~~~~~
    Katelin "Missmaul" Locknane -Sloooowly climbing her way out of the dank pits of gimpness. But stil crazy. Ya know...just in case you cared.

it does to a very slight extent... but here are the main differences I know of:

OT items are only in trade
    trenchskirt is only in Tir
    not sure about Newland

now if we could just get more

Thumbs up BUMP

I'm all for any idea that involves the addition of more variety and reason to explore. Ahem, a little xp for visiting places you've never been to would be nice, too.

I did learn early, though, that with the weight limit, (at the time), it was not worth it to wear that trenchcoat and expect to loot much.
    Cyrus "d'Artagnan" Bacarella
    Solitus Fixer for the Omni-Tek Corporation
    President of Draco Legionis
    Draco is Family, Legions Unite!

"The darkness must go down the river of nights dreaming...
    Flow morphia slow, let the sun and light come streaming...
    Into my life."