Thread: Updated Guide?

Updated Guide?

Sorry for posting another thread; but I had a look at the stickied guide, and it appears rather outdated - key things I noticed were no mention anywhere of Alien Invasion and it mentions Parry/Riposte in its working state (and we all know how much it works now ). Can we get a kind Meta-Physicist to volunteer to create an updated guide for young metas to follow? (I'd like some clarification on a couple subjects as well )

Thanks!!
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

You know the size of the thing. It's an herculean task.
    Xtremtech asked for contribution at some times and performed the feat to extract sense out of our collective banter.

You can but hope he's in the mood for modifications. One thing though is that AI didn't essentially modify the way a MP plays. That may or may not be fortunate.

Since there is a Wiki putting it on there for revision, provided X agrees to that, could be a good start.
    Malusz, Fist of Chronos.
    Raised by the Guild of Meta-Physics.

[EDIT] Noticed the stickied Wiki post, finally Will look forward to its completion
    Last edited by Saetos; Oct 20th, 2006 at 00:07:14.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Xtremtesh guide is very up to date considering what small changes we got for our profession last year.

Alien Invasion

- Alien weapons/armor didn´t provide anything profession specific.

- The alien bow is crap due to high req. The alien pistols (with specials) now seams to give the best output in damage besides the 1h blunt weapons.

- We can now boost our nanoskills with a com relay (util 3) and a Nano compiler Unit (hud 2).

- We got a nanomage-friendly damage perk in the Unknown Factor perk line. The special Chaotic Assumption takes 8 ai-perk points and have psy/int as attack skill. Very nice for tl3/4 mp-twinks.

Other

- We got a new healing staff that do no damage and require 2 h blunt.

- The veteran point system addition gave all old players the possibilty to buy a beacon warp that works to all gardens AND sanctuary's even from Rubi-ka. Now we can see how half the team after a SL-mission dissapear when you still stand casting the mp-warp to dalja/sheol/ely.

...that is about it..
    Last edited by Upupa; Oct 20th, 2006 at 18:05:07.

Upupa (220/20/60) Valhall Guardians. equip
    Tantal (220/25/68) Atrox Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Upupa View Post
    - We can now boost our nanoskills with a bio communicator (util 3) and a Nano compiler Unit (hud 2).
    Comm Relay

Quote Originally Posted by Bleodemm View Post
    Comm Relay
    Thanks!

wtb! my brain back, please

Upupa (220/20/60) Valhall Guardians. equip
    Tantal (220/25/68) Atrox Keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Upupa View Post
    Thanks!

wtb! my brain back, please
    Been playing the trox for too long, its getting to you.
    Villagebike - 220/22 Metaphysicist - Rebuilding
    Fyxi - 220/25 Fixer - Schtuff
    Nullnvoid - 164/6 Keeper - Supahgimp
    Skrappy - 150/2() Agent - wtb axpeh pl0x
    Irolldadvlol - 60/2 Adventurer - Ubahgimp

Quote Originally Posted by Means
    "FC Nerfsquad" When I have that made into a t-shirt I'll give you full credit.
    Join Primal Instinct in Age of Conan
    give it some love

Hey there,

I've looked a few times at extending the guide further. To be frank though, I always ended up with the same conclusion as Upupa - there's been so little change since the guide was last updated that is MP specific, that there has been little reason to put in the time on an update.

In my guide, I don't touch stuff that isn't MP specific as there are other guides that deal with those areas. If I try to encompass everything that might be of interest to an MP including all armours, items etc then the guide would swiftly end up trying to be an almost total AO guide which would be totally out of scope. It would be huge and massively time-consuming to maintain too and others have tried (and failed) with such things in the past.

What I have tried to do in some areas though, is explain how best to make decisions or to communicate the key elements upon which decisions need to be based for MPs. In essence, the guide tries to give the reader the skills needed to make their own decisions for their MPs rather than try to give them patent answers. The few small omissions mentioned when I've asked for feedback have nearly always been the odd item/weapon here and there which don't really affect the basic skills and decision making processes that the guide is really about.

So for example, the allocating IP section doesn't tell you what to raise... it explains why certain things are important to MPs so that players get the skill of assessing for themselves what is important for their playstyle or goals. So general AI perks/items which boost certain skills can be assessed by MPs using what they can learn from the IP allocation section. The guide explains how to work out what's important for you in the area of skills, so any item/perk boosting the skill can be assessed using the same process.

Similarly, the weapons section goes to great lengths to explain to readers how to choose weaponry that will suit them, without telling them what specific things to choose. By doing that, people who read the guide well should always be able to assess new weaponry and changes in the light of changes that may have occurred after the guide was written. The one general element of the guide comes here which is the section explaining the mechanics of weaponry in AO which you need to have if you're to make good decisions in this area and didn't exist elsewhere at the time when I wrote the weapon section.

My guide has never been good for people wanting to just drop in and get quick answers to "what should I equip..." questions and it's really not meant to be that. There used to be a few other MP guides around that provided that kind of resource and probably still are.

But - my guide has always been completely 'open source' and anybody is welcome to reproduce it. I'd be perfectly happy for a wiki site to pick it up as long as they made clear that their version would deviate from the original and as long as they put a link to the original for people to go to.

X
    Last edited by XtremTech; Oct 20th, 2006 at 21:23:55.
    Xtremtech: MetaPhysicist currently resident on Test. (209 + 21 AI Levels).

Various other test MPs of differing levels and builds available.

I just went in and checked the Parry Riposte elements that I could track down. As far as I know the Parry stuff is correct and most Riposte Entries mention that it's not functioning at present. There are one or two Riposte entries though that don't say that it isn't functioning.

I've posted a thread in the games mechanics forum to check on the present state of affairs and will correct/modify those entries as necessary.

A new implementation of Parry/Riposte was tested shortly after SL came out. It was found to have too many drawbacks at the time and so never made it to live (or was quickly killed... can't remember which tbh). It is however still something that the Devs would like to find a good implementation for and showed the lines of design that the Devs were thinking would be appropriate. There's a good chance that an implementation of some kind will be put in place at some point. That could have a negative effect on the long-term choices that people make on weapons and so should continue to be seen as a risk factor attached to choosing melee weaponry.

The entries were left in to describe intended functioning partly to allow for such potential changes and to inform readers. As I say, I'll add corrected or modified entries once I've pinned down the current state of affairs accurately.

X
    Last edited by XtremTech; Oct 20th, 2006 at 22:53:38.

I've hit a technical hitch with making alterations to the site, but as soon as that's resolved I'll be correcting the parry/riposte entries.

X

Done.

X