Thread: Freelance: A Reporter's Tale

Independent Reporters of Rubi-Ka Editor: IRRK's Avatar

Freelance: A Reporter's Tale

A Reporter's Tale
    Monday 23rd October, 29480 - Noticiero Rivera

Freelance: It is rare for me to write an article that does not include some sort of entertaining news, or a scandal.

After all reporters find bad news more interesting than good news, as the reader polls have shown for the past 5 years.

I arrived on August 1st of '76, stranded on Rubi-Ka because earlier that year while I was in the employ of Sol Media (a subsidiary of Sol Corporation) I had published an investigative report on corruption in another company (which was also a Sol Corp subsidiary).

Colleagues warned me that it would negatively affect my career, I ignored them firmly thinking I had done the right thing.

I was sent to Rubi-Ka under the false pretence of rewarding me for my report, the offer being the position of lead reporter. As soon as I arrived I was fired, my expense account closed and all credit revoked leaving me stranded.

Alone and without friends, I vowed to make Sol Media regret their betrayal by becoming the most famous reporter on Rubi-Ka.

Since that day, I have done seventy investigative reports and interviews with important and notable figures. I've done my best to reveal the true nature of Rubikan personalities from all factions, and report on important events and stories across the planet and the universe.

I was a neutral for the first year I was on the planet, until I decided the clans were fighting for a just cause. Also I'm hard to become friendly with, since I believe most people have an agenda when I'm being approached.

I've made my share of enemies by reporting the truth, a good number of threats, and strange relationships over the years.

It is now when I must mention one of those strange relationships. Since June of '77 one man, or shall I say Commander...wanted to choke me every time I published something about the clans which was not positive.

He has thrown me out of The Cup and Reets Retreat, threatened me with bodily harm more times than I can remember and I think was close to shooting me a few times in public.

I did what I felt was the right thing to do, publish the truth. He did what he felt was the right thing to do, protect the image of the clans at any cost.

At one point last year ('79) he blackmailed me into joining his clan and under his leadership it was almost impossible for me to get his approval to publish anything. I only published one article that year.

But then he was betrayed and the clan fell apart. I was free, yet I could see it had affected him so much that it changed him. Months went by and our relationship change from dislike (to put it mildly) to friendship.

I still disagree with the methods he used in the past few years dealing with me, however that is water under the bridge as the ancient saying goes.

As of last month, he retired as Commander and now lives his life as a Knight in his clan. Windguaerd is his name, and even though I see him rarely these days; I value his friendship more than others because he at least has been true to himself and to me from day one.

Some of you will wonder why would someone like me publish all this. Well, because some have implied since January of this year that I was Windguaerd's puppet, that he pulled the strings and I danced to his tune.

I'm sorry to dissapoint all the Xaun supporters, but he never had the authority to change, edit or rewrite anything I did.

It was only during 29479 that he stopped me from publishing, since I would not accept any kind of editing from him in any way.

Maybe it would be best if someone would just admit she made a mistake and tell the truth. There is one thing I've learned in the years I've been on Rubi-Ka: Everyone lies.

One person lies to protect her image, another lies to protect his clan, another lies for profit, another lies to save the life of an innocent, another lies to take lives. There are many reasons to lie, some I would say are good, most are bad.

I've lied to get close to people so I can get the truth out of them. When Lady Xaun said "off the record" I acted as if I was not going to publish what she was going to tell me, I lied to her so I would get the truth from her.

So everyone lies. I lied to get the truth from her, she lied when she denied her statements.

Nobody is perfect, even the Redeemed have lied to us. Lord Galahad showed up among the clans as a human 17 years ago, but we now know he is not human, but one of the Redeemed.

He appeared to us in a deceptive way, but for a good reason...so we could accept his good intentions. Lady Xaun pledged fielty to the Knights of Avalon. Lord Galahad leads them.

It is not dishonorable to lie, if it's done for the right reason. However if you're caught in the lie, wouldn't it be best to admit it and then move on rather than keep denying the words that came out of your mouth?

I do my best to publish the truth, regardless of what faction it affects. I joined the clans because I felt they were fighting for a just cause.

However that doesn't mean that I will turn a blind eye just because you're a clanner like me.

The truth is not always kind, it can be rough, bloody and unforgiving. Sometimes it is like a ray of sunlight, refreshing and life giving.

Sure most of my articles have dirt on them, that is because it is what I do best. Who wants to read "pet leet rescued from tall tree"? everyone wants to read "this one tried to kill that one" or "this faction bombed that faction's outpost".

I think I have succeeded on my goal, to the point that a few days ago I was offered a job as News Anchor for the Interstellar Network News (subsidiary of TruSpace Networks).

At this point in time, I haven't made a decision yet. I may be able to do more good to the clan cause through ISN which is broadcasted to 150 systems across the universe than through the IRRK here at home.

Of course there is the downside of it, I will be practically in corporate territory and an easier target to silence away from Rubi-Ka and the clans where I feel safe among freedom fighters.

I'm at a crossroads, and I figure before another reporter gets the the scoop on me I would put it out myself.

This is Reporter 'Noticiero' Rivera, and this has been 'A Rubi-Ka Exclusive'! maybe the last.

So what kind of lie is this report then? If you don't have courage to accept offer on your own, is there really any need to write a report that will drive you away?
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

I believe you are mistaken there. What most people what to read is not some sordid scandal or horrific tale. What most people what to read about is the advances being made in the sciences and fields of human knowledge. Now that is a good read!

Well, at least most people I speak to see it that way, at any rate.

Dabblez
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

Sounds more like an explanation than a news report.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Trgeorge View Post
    So what kind of lie is this report then? If you don't have courage to accept offer on your own, is there really any need to write a report that will drive you away?
    At no point in the article do I ask permission or counsel on my decision regarding the ISN. I'm yet to decide, remember that only here does Insurance technology works...once off Rubi-Ka if I die...it will be the end of my career.

Quote Originally Posted by Dabblez View Post
    I believe you are mistaken there. What most people what to read is not some sordid scandal or horrific tale. What most people what to read about is the advances being made in the sciences and fields of human knowledge. Now that is a good read!

Well, at least most people I speak to see it that way, at any rate.

Dabblez
    I did publish articles related to what you mention:

Robotics company settles out of court

Published 02.27.29480

RUR Robot goes haywire, owner files suit against company!

Published 01.29.29480

Reclaim Technology Unsafe?

Published 10.14.29479

They were the lowest rated articles, otherwise I may have done a follow-up on the RUR out of court settlement.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Sounds more like an explanation than a news report.
    When is a news article NOT an explanation?

Quote Originally Posted by Noticiero View Post

They were the lowest rated articles,
    Ah I see. I think the trouble is those technology articles were light on maths. It's all very good to talk about things in general terms, but I think you'll find people only really get excited with the formulas and equations come out. I know it works for me!

Dabblez

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: IRRK View Post
    A Reporter's Tale
    Monday 23rd October, 29480 - Noticiero Rivera

Freelance: It is rare for me to write an article that does not include some sort of entertaining news, or a scandal.
    Oh my goodness.. Is it me? Or can you not find another topic? I believe everyone can clearly see that your lies about me have caused you to go to great lengths to attempt to back them on more than one occassion and attempts at slandering my reputation. The part I find most amusing is how the only reputation you have hurt, in your attempt to get a ratings boost with you funnies column, is your own..

I feel sorry for you. Having read your story I can see how this all has transpired. You started out with "Honest" intent but like so many others have become overtaken by the desire to succeed and to exact your revenge on Sol. So by pigeon-holing me in this way you have finally got the noteriety you needed to be offered a real job again. To that I can say congradulations. And since I find as much humor in this all now as I do. I can smile and be happy for you that you got your big break. Good luck and I pray you will one day return to your roots of true investigative reporting and leave the tabloids behind.

One last thing.. Did you ever think about this for even a second.. How can I be totally loyal to the Clans, The Knights of Avalon, Sir Tristram and Gallahad, Which I most ardently am, while actually be against them at the same moment? I mean really.. perhaps better cross-referencing of data would suffice for future installments of your articles.

Good day Sir.
    Last edited by Xaun; Oct 23rd, 2006 at 18:29:05.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Xaun View Post
    Oh my goodness.. Is it me? Or can you not find another topic? I believe everyone can clearly see that your lies about me have caused you to go to great lengths to attempt to back them on more than one occassion and attempts at slandering my reputation. The part I find most amusing is how the only reputation you have hurt, in your attempt to get a ratings boost with you funnies column, is your own..

I feel sorry for you. Having read your story I can see how this all has transpired. You started out with "Honest" intent but like so many others have become overtaken by the desire to succeed and to exact your revenge on Sol. So by pigeon-holing me in this way you have finally got the noteriety you needed to be offered a real job again. To that I can say congradulations. And since I find as much humor in this all now as I do. I can smile and be happy for you that you got your big break. Good luck and I pray you will one day return to your roots of true investigative reporting and leave the tabloids behind.

One last thing.. Did you ever think about this for even a second.. How can I be totally loyal to the Clans, The Knights of Avalon, Sir Tristram and Gallahad, Which I most ardently am, while actually be against them at the same moment? I mean really.. perhaps better cross-referencing of data would suffice for future installments of your articles.

Good day Sir.
    There was no attempt at slandering Lady Xaun, your own words digged the hole you fell into. I would say that had you just admitted to your statements instead of desperately trying to deny the truth things would have died down within a month or two after the January interview.

What reporter will let something like that off the hook when the person continues to lie and point the finger at the reporter to try and save face? I'm not one to back down, specially to a liar.

My reputation is quite intact, actually if my reputation was of a liar and fact-creating reporter I highly doubt ISN would have made an offer...I don't think any news media would hire me if there was any truth to your claims of my journalistic integrity.

"I vowed to make Sol Media regret their betrayal by becoming the most famous reporter on Rubi-Ka"...it is what I have done over the years, I'm well known and respected. Sure some do not like what I have to say, got my share of threats but I think only you and your few supporters have ever accused me of lying.

I did start out as an honest reporter, and I still am. I do not regret publishing the article about the Sol Corp subsidiary, they had it coming for embezzling money from their employees retirement fund.

Sure I ended up stranded on Rubi-Ka..and at the time I wasn't too happy about it, but I do not regret the choices that got me here.

My need for "revenge" was much stronger the first year, after that it became an afterthought, I was more concerned with getting good stories.

Also the position I was offered was not relation to "tabloids", but as a New Anchor which is like comparing a leet to a cyborg. I was never into tabloids, even tho I did a few articles related to the entertainment industry here on Rubi-Ka it was not something sensational or eyebrow raising.

You may want to turn around and say "How can I be totally loyal to the Clans, The Knights of Avalon, Sir Tristram and Gallahad, Which I most ardently am, while actually be against them at the same moment?" however...

Your own words were against the CoT, not the Legacy Clan you support even tho by working against the council in an indirect way you did work against the Knights of Avalon because they are part of the council itself.

I think you will never own up to the truth of the interview, there has been plenty of chances for you to come forward and admit the words you spoke to me and show your knightly virtues.

I did some research on knightly virtues:

Courage: Knights think things through carefully, but at the same time, they aren't afraid to make a decision and take a risk. A Knight should never procrastinate on making a decision.
    Generosity: Knights always make time to help others. A good Knight takes part in the community, sharing his advice and experience with those less fortunate than he.
    Faith: Knights are wary in who they trust, but when they do invest their trust into someone, they place a lot of faith in them. A Knight will never dismiss advice without a great deal of consideration, even if it seems crazy, because he has faith in those he trusts.
    Determination: A Knight knows that everything is a matter of will power. While a smart Knight picks his battles carefully and knows when he has lost, he will never give up easily.
    Forgiveness: A Knight knows that others will make mistakes. While a Knight will do his best to teach them right from wrong, a good Knight also understands the value of forgiveness.
    Honor: A Knight knows that his honor reflects who he is. A Knight places his clan and his fellow knights above all else, and will never make decisions or a promise that would hurt them.
    Sympathy: A Knight shows sympathy to those using outdated technology, bad judgement and doomed projects. He will even try not to laugh too hard at the court jester.
    Truthfulness: A Knight leaves the politics to those assigned to that task in our society, and is open and truthful to anyone who asks.
    Humility: As smart and as well known as he may be, a Knight will remain humble to those around him. Although he may seldom be wrong about things, a good Knight is not afraid to admit when he has made a mistake.
    Perhaps one day you will have the Courage to admit the Truthfulness of the interview but I highly doubt you will ever have that Determination or Humility to seek Forgiveness and accept the Sympathy that others would give in good Faith.

For whatever it is worth, I forgive you. I shall end this post with a few wise words a friend told me, "May the light of the divine shine upon you".

Oh where do I begin.. How about at the top. I have admitted my words.. The problem being that what I "DID" say and what you reported are not the same. So I turn your statements directly back on you. However, You being a reporter are not expected to be honest for even one second and as such I never expect you to admit to your lies because they do not serve your ratings. This topic has died a long time ago. The only one who keeps digging it up is you. I have yet to have a single clanner come to me while I was on Rubika and say.. "Did you really say that?" Those whom know me know me well enough to know I would not. End of story if you will let it be.. But, when ever you lack any real "investigative reporting" you can always dig this sad tired topic back out in hopes of a few miserable posts in response to it. And with each time you bring it up fewer and fewer care to. The reason.. No one would buy it with your money. Its just too far fetched. If you had even tried to keep my personality intact during your "interview", it might have actually convinced a few people. But you not knowing me well enough butchered everything about how I conduct myself, well at least you did not edit out my love for tea or sake *smirks*. Having said that. You should have investigated me a bit more before attempting this. As for my feelings for the CoT and the Clans I have made them quite clear in my own words. And what "I DO Say" can be viewed almost as controversial as what you would like to have people believe I did say. However they are far from close to one another. I believe in a Nation of the Clans. You attempted to insinuate quite the opposite. Now, The bottom line to this is.. I am trying to be happy for you that you actually got something from this and I hope that all your hard work has finally paid off. After all I love Fiction too. It is not always easy to write fiction and pass it as fact. But you almost pulled it off. So congradulations.

Do not worry I harbor no ill toward you for the words you have tried so desperately to put in to my mouth. I as a Knight have the sympathy to over look your short comings, the compassion to forgive you and the faith pray to the divine for you in hopes that one day you may return to honest journalism. I have the courage to move on for the good of the clans despite the small setbacks you have tried to put in my path. I have the perserverance and determination to prevail against all odds and the generosity to give of myself until the fight is won. I shall always uphold the highest standards of honor in the choices I make regardless of the temptations to stray from the path for I have faith in my motivations to spread good in this world help those whom are weak to become strong and defend the honor of the clans. I have the humility to know that I cannot do any of these things alone and to be ever mindful of the example I set to those whom are younger than I and I say all of this with the truthfulness of my heart.

And Send Windgaeurd my love would ya?

Quote Originally Posted by Noticiero View Post
    When is a news article NOT an explanation?
    Let me rephrase then:

This news article sounds like your trying to make a court scene or a debriefing out of this. *shrug* Just seems like this is just an extremely biased report. Maybe it's just me, but when I watch or read the news, I want to know whats going on in the world. I am perfectly capable of forming my own decisions about people and events. Dont need a news reporter doing that for me.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Oct 24th, 2006 at 01:44:49.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Editor: IRRK View Post
    I was a neutral for the first year I was on the planet, until I decided the clans were fighting for a just cause. Also I'm hard to become friendly with, since I believe most people have an agenda when I'm being approached.

I did what I felt was the right thing to do, publish the truth. He did what he felt was the right thing to do, protect the image of the clans at any cost.

I do my best to publish the truth, regardless of what faction it affects. I joined the clans because I felt they were fighting for a just cause.

However that doesn't mean that I will turn a blind eye just because you're a clanner like me.

The truth is not always kind, it can be rough, bloody and unforgiving. Sometimes it is like a ray of sunlight, refreshing and life giving.
    From a Neutral perspective you've been writing at the wrong paper. The FJRK is THAT WAY!!!!

All I can say in regards to your new position is Good Luck and Good Riddance.
    Gee...another expansion that I'm not interested in...maybe it's a hint? O.o

Eeky: Cz how much beer would I have to provide to you, to have you water balloon the people responsible for last patch?

Cz: I would never consider such a horrible proposal! (I'll have my people contact your people.)

Quote Originally Posted by LangWiz View Post
    From a Neutral perspective you've been writing at the wrong paper. The FJRK is THAT WAY!!!!

All I can say in regards to your new position is Good Luck and Good Riddance.
    While I have not always agreed with Noticiero's reporting meathods, I have always found it interesting that people see the Neutrals as a group like Omni-Tek or the Clans.

First Omni-Tek is business, they run things a certain way. They have a vision statement on a little plaque somewhere.

People often try then to relate the Clans to Omni-Tek in simular ways. One can say "Bob is an Employee of Omni-Tek" and you can actualy learn alot about Bob from that statement. Bob has an Employee ID. Bob does this. Bob gets payed that. Bob may not like his job, but he is an Employee of Omni-Tek.

One should not though say "Sue is an member of the Clans." How can you even be a member of the Clans? Sue can be a member of A Clan, but she is not a member of All of them. Where as you can say that someone is an Employee of Omni-Tek, it realy makes no sense at all to say someone is a member of the Clans.

Furthermore it makes even less sense to say someone is a Neutral. Many neutrals are actualy employees of Omni-Tek, but just don't treat people that are called "clanners" any differently than any other customer. Of course doing that makes them unable to take advantage of their employee discount, but hey it's there way of being neutral.

Other people that call them selves Neutral are all for the kind of life that the Clans offer, but just don't want to join in on any kind of battle against Omni-Tek.

Being Neutral is even more of a vague comment than saying someone is a Clanner. I mean not even all people that are called clanners are even in a clan. How does that even make sense?

Saying that someone is Neutral, just says that the person does not care one way or the other about this conflict between the clans. And even then that's not true for all "Neutrals".

Someone that is "truely" neutral would understand that someone can go and sign an omni-tek application, get a job for the company and not all of the sudden be any less neutral. A "truely" neutral person would accept that perhaps this person that joined Omni-Tek just wanted a bit of extra money but still doesn't care about the clans.

Furthermore a "truely" neutral person would understand that just because someone signs a little clan forum that they are not any less neutral. A "truely" neutral person would accept that perhaps this person that just joined the clans just wanted to have easier access to the Redeemed guardens so they could meditate about matters fully unrelated to any conflict between the Clans and Omni-Tek.

We commonly view someone as "Clan" "Omni" or "Neutral" and we view these with such energy that we see them as a sort of relgion. IE: "If you are an Employee of Omni-Tek you warship the god called the Credit. You believe that the more credits that you own, the better your life will be by the god named Credit"

Anyways... what was my point... oh yes stop thinking that "Neutral" is some elite label that you can't possibly hold if you are a member of a clan, or if you are an employee of Omni-Tek. It doesn't come off as very neutral.

Zemkarik, your reply that was probably the most reasoned and insightful things I've read in long time, well at least of a non-scientific nature.

At the end of the day people are people. We are all more alike than we are different. Most of us belong to one faction or another not for idealogical reasons, but because that's the faction we were born into or maybe because that is the faction which had the right job openings at the time. I was born Neutral, I joined Omni to get a scholarship at Rome Uni. It's not like my whole belief system changed that day.

But there are people in power who have a vested interest in prolonging this conflict. They tell us that our enemies are monsters, that the war is just and promise honour, glory and medals to whoever joins the struggle. And, generation after generation, we keep falling for this old ruse.

Too many of us still trust the politicians and warlords, not enough people trust the scientists, that's the problem!

Dabblez

Every now and then, you find a gem in a field of coal. I agree, insightful post, Zemkarik. What you said sums up alot of my opinion on things as well. Alot of people in this war have some animosity towards one side or another, and pretty much carpet flame that side or the other, including people that had nothing to do with it. Not all OT or Clan or Neuts are bad either, and with the spectrum of people out there... You can expect to see exceptions to every bit, at each step of the way... if you know how to look.

As for the 'trusting scientists' bit, I know that research and developement is funded on investments and grants from politically motivated people. Its not that trusting scientists is a problem, its just that there is way too to much conspiracy theory to go around surrounding research and developement and how corruption within the system is. There will never be money in a cure for anything, only in the treatment of a problem. Even clan companies recognize the 'bottom line' when it comes to lawful business (just as much as everyone else), and that bottom line is credits. Economists many a world over will always say there is no such thing as a free lunch. Scientists, in the big scheme of things, are in the same categories as politicians and warlords, even the good ones... which is truly tragic.

For every prototype engine built that works off renewable resources, there will be a weapon drawn up to fit on it somewhere. For every new natural or synthetic chemical or mineral manipulated, there will be someone wondering if said element is explosive, and another who wants to know how said explosive can be used for a purpose. For every treatment we may find for diseases, one is being classified as a poison. For every tree you plant, several are being torn down. The herd that is humanity has been in this perpetual state of motion for centuries.

Why are we, in a more modern setting, any different? Names and dates have changed, and the innocent have never been fully protected. If anything, I'd say we have devolved just as much, or even more than, progressed.
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Oct 29th, 2006 at 16:02:59.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Quote Originally Posted by Zemkarik View Post
    While I have not always agreed with Noticiero's reporting meathods, I have always found it interesting that people see the Neutrals as a group like Omni-Tek or the Clans.
    There is a loose affiliation between all neutrals that you aren't seeing, and that is the choice not to sign the application form. While it is possible to remain somewhat neutral in both the corporation and the federated clans, you are still agreeing to follow a code of behaviour you did not agree to follow before. Parts of that code can include antagonizing the corporation or the federated clans or even the unaffiliated peoples. The reporter did not specify which clan he joined...He could have joined the Sentinels for all we know, who see the people of the world divided into two groups, with us and against us.

Experience can also change the values and opinions that people have, and those experiences will be different as a member of the corporation or a clan. This is most commonly known as a slant, and can be particularly evident in news reporting, due to the "color" words used (and I'm not talking orange and blue here). If a reporter describes a group of people negatively, one would say the reporter is slanted against them.

Another important change that happens after one has signed an application form is that of interest. Certain actions and events interest members of the corporation or a federated clan in different ways than they would an unaffiliated person. The Borealis conflict over the leadership of the city is an excellent example. Members of Omni-Tek are probably hopeful that the new governer is successful. The Unaffiliated would prefer to govern themselves and would like the governer to be removed. Members of certain clans probably don't care one way or the other. Other members of the clans might want to attack the governer or the guards in the city to "free" the oppressed.

Enter the reporter who must decide which of these angles to persue. The interest level of the reporter determines how much of the story is told. Thus we come to the newspaper as a whole. Any organization can be best defined by what it's members do.

If a newspaper is supposed to represent the corporation, it will include mostly members who value and praise the corporation. Issues may be raised, but they will be raised carefully and calmly. If a newspaper is supposed to represent a clan or a group of clans, it will probably do the same. It may also take some of those issues raised by the corporate newspaper and slant them so they look bad, even perhaps worse than they are.

This means an unaffiliated paper would give praise where it is due, but not to the extent of the others unless in praise of the unaffiliated. Issues may or may not be slanted to look better or worse than they are, depending on the impact or interest they may hold towards other unaffiliated.

This is why the affiliation of the reporter is important, not because of any moral judgement.
    Gee...another expansion that I'm not interested in...maybe it's a hint? O.o

Eeky: Cz how much beer would I have to provide to you, to have you water balloon the people responsible for last patch?

Cz: I would never consider such a horrible proposal! (I'll have my people contact your people.)