Thread: Discoveries of Wonder, Inventions of Marvel IV

Discoveries of Wonder, Inventions of Marvel IV

Date: SATURDAY 18th of November
    Time: from 19:00 GMT / 2:00 PM EST
    Server: Atlantean

Yes ladies and gentlemen, it's that time of year again!

For the fourth year running, Rubi-Ka Universal Robots would like to invite scientists, engineers, medical researchers, mathematicians and inventors from all over Rubi-Ka to take part in the fourth Isaac Asimov Scientific Symposium. If you have made any interesting discoveries, formulated a new intriguing hypothesis or just stumbled accidentally on a magnificent new invention you wish to discuss this with your peers in a friendly environment with a lot of alcohol, please give get in touch. Or just come and sit in the audience, pretend to listen and drink the free booze!

This is a yearly event which is held in November. We are particularly keen to have scientists from all factions as a reminder that, despite what the politicians may tell use, science knows no boundaries.

If you plan to speak at the symposium, please post your name and your topic below. Time premitting, we will also allow speakers who just turn up on the day to make their presentations too, but preference will be given to those who have booked in advance

Hope to see you all there,

Dabblez

Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)

/ooc

This is a roleplaying event open to everyone. What we are looking for is a few speakers willing to give a little 5-10 minute in-game presentation about something vaguely scientific and vaguely AO related. The science doesn’t have to make any sense as long as it’s entertaining. You can work alone or in groups, use any props if you like anything goes!

We run this event in November each year and in my view its one of the best showcases of AO's roleplaying community's creativity. The logs from past Scientific Symposiums can be found here:

Log for 2005

Log for 2004

Log for 2003

If you think you might like to get involved in this, reply to this thread or give Dabblez a tell.
    Dabblez - Rubi-Ka Universal Robots (RUR)
    We put the Art into Artificial Intelligence!

I have some exciting new stuff to present at the symposium. I wish to reserve a timeslot for my presentation please.
    Engineer General Virta, Omni-Pol. Not in active service.

Roleplaying Profile of Jimi "Virta" Hendrix

Metaphysical Wonders

I too have a wonderfull discovery I would like to present.
    ~Anyone can level, but only the wise gain experience~

*Bronto Burger, serving 10,000 high level noobs daily*

http://wolf-brigade.webs.com/

My Story

Don't feed the Mensa Tralalalala

Everyday I'm Shuffling.

Excellent, I'll sign you both up. Of course it would hardly be a proper Isaac Asimov Science Symposium without Officer's Virta's presentaion!

Dabblez

Is ok to just pop in for free booze.

(( I really want to be there. As a new member to the RP community I will use this opertunity to see how you guys do things))
    Knowlede of the past is the key to the future

Profile Soldatius

AO Universe - By Players, For Players! Gameplay/Quests/Locations Guides, News, Articles, Columns, AO Launcher Skins, Wallpapers, Maps, Utilities, Friendly Forums and the #1 Roleplaying Source for the community!

Greetings follow Rubi Kans, following the disappearance of Virta, and unfortunately with the search operations and normal information channels yielding no results, a search of his personal belongings and files commenced.

Within his files we found a draft document he presumably intended to publish at the Science Symposium. After discussion within the Omni-Pol command team, we have decided to publish it here on his behalf. We hope that you will give feedback here, maybe as his colleagues in science, you might be able to read further into it than we are skilled to.

Without further ado, here follows a copy of what was discovered:

Presentation for the 4th Annual Isaac Asimov Science Symposium.
    General Hendrix, Omni-Pol.

(handwritten note: thinking of oranges before the presentation may help relieve the anxiety)

We are all familiar with the phenomenon of things getting smaller when they are moved farther away. This was proved already 540 years ago by scientists Minogue and Korsakov. I have been studying the Minogue-Korsakov equations and it seems they only account for one direction. The object does get smaller when its moved farther away, but they do not fully explain why the object gets larger when it is moved closer.

It is clear the distance affects the size of the object. The intention of this paper and the following experiments (handwritten note: Add results of the experiment in appendix 4.3a), is to artificially negate the effect of distance when moved closer, thus preserving the smaller size.

The negating of distance when moved farther away will be left outside of the scope of this study. (handwritten note: Remember to look at the audience.)

I have discovered, on paper, that one can apply flux to the 3rd equation to get the mathematical proof of successful negation. To put it simply, the effect of flux is to create 2nd degree inverted philogasm on the 3rd equation, 2nd differential. We can all see the diagrams of it here. (handwritten note: turn on the projector, slidesets 4-15).

In laboratory conditions...
    (handwritten note: make the slides of the experiment, present them here)

This will open huge possibilities for the miniaturisation of speed cameras, thus making them more cheap to produce, for the benefit of us all. Thank you."
    We hope that should anyone be able to glean any information from these notes as to what may have happened to General Hendrix, that you will share your thoughts here or contact us via our gridsite.

With best wishes,

General McChristion.

It is indeed a shame that General Hendrix cannot attend, but I can't help wondering if that might be related to this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6090332.stm

Dabblez

It's tomorrow!