Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Engineer Guide MkIII

Quote Originally Posted by Novafox View Post
    I skimmed through the guide and I think a couple things should be changed/mentioned/noted.

Section 3.4 Command range was changed in a recent patch, which I believe made it the same as maximum range. Although, I'm certain there are some strange bugs where pets often ignore orders based on the range of things. I'll start another thread about this, though.

Section 8.2.2 If I'm not mistaken, those trimmers are still bugged, giving your pet a ridiculously large, and empty, HP bar. It makes the 217 slayer have the bugged bar at least, though I tried the 200 slayer and it seemed to work appropriately. The bugged bar seemed to fix itself when running out of range, though, but until then, the bot is effectively rooted since it has an empty HP bar.

Section 8.2.3 The Max QL of the Improved actuators trimmer can be higher now, thanks to new trimmer casings, so you might update that.
    Section 3.4 was corrected.
    I added a comment about that bug to Section 8.2.2, and added a bug to the buglist. From some reason it wasn't there.
    Section 8.2.3 was updated. We still can't make ql bigger than 244 though.

Thanks for the input
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.
    WTB ql150 weapons, Grand Armbands, Eye of the Evening Star.

Trimmer - Improve Actuators and Smelly Liquid have wrong links.
    Aussieborn 220/22 MA (Retired-ish)
    Healinjoo 2xx/1x Equip
    Merve 151/18 Mp PERK RESET
    And some other gimps!
    Consider this my Siggy

Quote Originally Posted by obliteratr
    thw word is spelt like deliverieing actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussieborn View Post
    Trimmer - Improve Actuators and Smelly Liquid have wrong links.
    Thanks, fixed
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.

I have completly rewritten the armor section. Feedback on this section is very welcome.

There are some armors I didn't mentioned though, since I have no experience with them:

Quote Originally Posted by Luuv View Post
    Thoughts about the armor section:

There is some very nice and cheap low armor that should be mentioned:

Saboteur armor - low ACs, but +HP, which I deem more useful, since we have AC buffs and I prefer HP over AC when I get hit rarely, plus it has some +TS which is nice to balance MC while still using imps

Shapeshifter's Vest - Helps a bit with HP and with better AC buffs, also nice ability buffs

Crepuscule Armor - Low Extermination Crepuscule Armor can easily be farmed and gives a few points in nanoskills, which can mean a better bot. Pants, Sleeves and Skinchip give +TS, Gloves, chip, boots and jacket are +MC.

Control Unit Sleeves - for the +TS
    Control Unit Vest - for the +MC
    Where do you think these fit? Beginner or Intermediate? Where do you find them?

Lemme think... you can get saboteur gloves ql25 from one of the nascence starter quests. It drops frequently form mortiigs in Elysium. Past that... no idea. I have gotten a few pieces from slithers in adonis, iirc, but there must be plenty more mobs that drop it. Unique, so buying a set can be kinda hard, but starting engies in a bigger org will have no trouble to get a few pieces from orgmates. Every engie grinding XP at mortiigs in ely will end up with half a set at least. Would rate that beginner armor.

Shapeshifter Vest drops from Cerubim in CoH, isn't too cheap on GMS. Prolly not starter armor, since you can hardly get it yourself and won't have the money as a newcomer.

Control Unit vest and sleeves drop from sided mobs in all QLs, and are generally very cheap on GMS. Can't be farmed, but really not hard to get. Might need a yalm or help from org to shop it. Beginner prolly. Main problem is that the QL starts at 75, so you can't run around in that at lvl25 without some twinkage.

The first "good" spot to hunt for spirit baubles is the Hoathlans in Nascence and then Kolaana west of the divide in Elysium. Droprate of ql60-80 baubles there is decent, always got a few while farming me insigs. Crepuscule armor isn't hard to make, and control / extermination parts are nice for everyone that wants to wet his feet at camping and tradeskilling early. Beginner's stuff. Easier to farm than farming the money for T1, and engies in full T1 give me the creeps, anyway.
    Last edited by Luuv; Dec 4th, 2006 at 01:54:48.
    Luuv lvl220/19/67 NM engie equip
    Spamheal lvl205/23 NM doc equip
    You might not believe it possible, but not all my toons are in my signature! *gasp*
    And yes, I always edit my posts.

Some more comments on the armor section.. You focus on CSS and CC as typical endgame choices. I know plenty of engies that run around in Scout armor at lvl215+, and with some good reason. Is a lazy and kinda cheap option, but if you stick to a bacam-xum at that level, you can just as well wear scout. Nice for soloing stuff, never gotta switch armor, buffs all "tradeskills" (including B&E ). As I said, wouldn't be my first choice, but it is very popular, so it should be mentioned.
    Also, there are a few MA-engies, although, from what I heard, more on RK2 than on RK1. CC or CM is the obvious choice for those. And lastly, depending on what you do, Molybdaenum armor can be used to ****e a setup, especially the chest. Seen more than one omni engie running around with that now (chest, not full set), even PvPing in it with good success. Same goes for the Carlos boots. You can include them in an endgame setup, since they offer badass +HP and some pistol skill. ACs arent too great, but ACs are hardly our problem. I wouldn't mind a full set of that. I think I have seen CSS+carlos+Molybdaenum chest on at least 2, maybe 3 PvPing engies now, can't be that bad.

Also, as beginner armor, please list the trusty omni-med suit. Before you run around in stuff like organic armor, that is definately one of the best choices. If you make a lvl1 omni toon for shopping, even diehard clanners can easily get their hands on a full set for a few credz.

I don't think that Apocalypse and Omni Steel-ribbed armor is the greatest choice for engies, but it beats T1 in many spots, and is nice for opifexes. Saves some IP for initiatives, and while you won't evade much at the level where it would be an option, it might help to get critted a bit less. If you decide to use flux pistols, the initiatives may indeed come in very handy. Very cheap as well, if you know how to use clicksaver and have the few bucks for omnifier/clanalizer.
    Last edited by Luuv; Dec 4th, 2006 at 02:06:27.
    You might not believe it possible, but not all my toons are in my signature! *gasp*

Some of the links in section 5.6 still point to aodb.info, need to update those.

Actually most engineers run in scouts , at least on omni side. I can count active +215 engineers in DD gear on my right hand fingers. So, while on forums we focus mostly on damage , if its so popular it might be a good idea to mention it.

Omni still-ribbed armor is nice choice for middle levels because of the inits, helps a lot if you are using Flux Pistols or PoP.

I wouldnt bother with Crepusclule armor on lowbie character ,camping it isnt really worth the effort. But high level Artillery Crepuscule chest is primary armor choice for endgame pvp.
    Last edited by IHaveHugeNick; Dec 4th, 2006 at 02:25:23.

My personal observation is that on clan and neutral side, it used to be mostly Scout. Now it is more often pure arithmetic (ouch), officer's (cheap way to bring up the ACs of a set of arith (and then some Bacam-Xum engies wonder why they are asked for SFA all the time)) or supple-based combined mixed and matched with other armor. I myself don't like the looks of the CSS chest, and have been temped to swap it for Scout. Can't remember ever seeing someone in crepuscule chest, but except for the low ACs, that's really nice stuff.
    Also might be worth mentioning: most neutral engies I know stick to the merlin coat or use a HNTA. For lack of better options. For neutrals, this is an endgame armor, and should be mentioned as such. For engies interested in a KEC5 for PvM or even a KEC3 for PvP, HNTA may be a prime choice, anyway.
    Last edited by Luuv; Dec 4th, 2006 at 12:09:11.

Some very good ideas there about armor, I'll work my way through them and add them one by one when I have the time.

You focus on CSS and CC as typical endgame choices. I know plenty of engies that run around in Scout armor at lvl215+, and with some good reason. Is a lazy and kinda cheap option...
    I admit that I have my own agenda against arith based armors. Like you yourself say, it is a cheap and lazy choice. IMHO T3 and almost any intermediate armor are better in combat than arith based armor.
    However, the fact is that many engis are lazy. I'm ashamed of it, but cannot avoid it. I therefore added this as a "lazy" option.
    Also, there are a few MA-engies, although, from what I heard, more on RK2 than on RK1. CC or CM is the obvious choice for those.
    I agree, added
    Also, as beginner armor, please list the trusty omni-med suit. Before you run around in stuff like organic armor, that is definately one of the best choices. If you make a lvl1 omni toon for shopping, even diehard clanners can easily get their hands on a full set for a few credz.
    Also agree, added

Oh, and unless I missed something, you missed some very important armor, one you use yourself: DChest. For people that can afford CC, a dchest isn't a problem either, and since we don't profit as much as pure combat professions from added AR, the nice ACs, +damage and +hp are badass and hard to beat. Also, it looks better than supple based chest armor. I don't like the squished-spider-look.
    Last edited by Luuv; Dec 4th, 2006 at 15:20:12.

From my point of view - I'm wearing full set of scout armor and use bacam:

- yes, I'm lazy and hate swapping things
    - as opifex I can't hotswap to QL300 CC for str reqs. CSS will be no problem on other hand
    - with engi nerfed AR after 1k no need to get bigger weapon skill
    - CS helps me soloing, I don't bother with green/yellow adds when full def and blinds on. Inits are good too, as I have QL300 VTS and only 1k ranged init
    - without CS or some arith pieces I can't self 5k AC buff. And i don't want to looking for MP and ask for CM everytime.
    - CS is cheap, right. But still 160-200m x7 cannot be considering cheap.
    - I have solo pvm/tradeskill setup. For my purposes is CS best armor. Maybe I'll change some parts for biodome in future.

For pistol engi I think supple pieces are nice for fling/burst bonuses. Some biodome armor is very good too (+HP).
    RK1: Amickson 220/30 ENG - equip, Aztea 220/30 MA - equip, Adirae 220/30 ENF

Lemme think... you can get saboteur gloves ql25 from one of the nascence starter quests....
    You sure about that one? The only quest I know of gives you Smuggler's Armor Gloves, not Saboreur's.

Shapeshifter Vest drops from Cerubim in CoH, isn't too cheap on GMS. Prolly not starter armor, since you can hardly get it yourself and won't have the money as a newcomer.
    Added

Quote Originally Posted by muha View Post
    You sure about that one? The only quest I know of gives you Smuggler's Armor Gloves, not Saboreur's.
    Yep, got me gloves with my baby soldier. He got it from the guy in silence. Don't remember what I had to do, i just tried to do all the nascence quests and was happy to get some useful gloves.

Yep, got me gloves with my baby soldier. He got it from the guy in silence. Don't remember what I had to do, i just tried to do all the nascence quests and was happy to get some useful gloves.
    This guide says otherwise, but I'll take your word for it (at least until someone else says otherwise).
    I've written the QL range as 25-???, as I don't think they drop below ql25, and I never saw the above ql100. But if someone cares to correct me, please do.

Control Unit vest and sleeves drop from sided mobs in all QLs, and are generally very cheap on GMS. Can't be farmed, but really not hard to get. Might need a yalm or help from org to shop it. Beginner prolly. Main problem is that the QL starts at 75, so you can't run around in that at lvl25 without some twinkage.
    Added those too. I'm taking your word that the minimum ql that drops is 75, though the database has 25.

oh, then maybe it is 25. dont think i have seen many under ql100, and none below 75, but they may be out there.

Quote Originally Posted by muha View Post
    This guide says otherwise, but I'll take your word for it (at least until someone else says otherwise).
    I've written the QL range as 25-???, as I don't think they drop below ql25, and I never saw the above ql100. But if someone cares to correct me, please do.
    Yep, that is exactly the quest I did on my soldier. Maybe the kind of yrmor you get depends on your profession, or sheer luck. I'll try that out, have a few engie alts left for testing.

Undercover armor drops in quite high QLs. I can give you ql264 pants for example.

Just pulled the first Aban Kald-Nuir mission with a lvl15 engie:
    Safe passage
    Description:
    Safe passage

Seeker Aban Kald-Nuir explained the situation at hand; about the necessity to kill some of the Spinetooth Hatchlings and Malah-Anas to keep the roads to the village safe enough for travellers who come to visit.

Kill 10 Spinetooth Hatchlings
    Kill 10 Malah-Anas
    Return to Seeker Aban Kald-Nuir with the Population density sensor

Final reward:Saboteur's Armor Gloves
    So, yep, seems like the reward depends on the profession of the one pulling the quest. Easy to get the gloves, and they can come in handy at that level.

Crepuscule Armor - Low Extermination Crepuscule Armor can easily be farmed and gives a few points in nanoskills, which can mean a better bot. Pants, Sleeves and Skinchip give +TS, Gloves, chip, boots and jacket are +MC.
    Added.

...lastly, depending on what you do, Molybdaenum armor can be used to ****e a setup, especially the chest...
    Added.

I don't think that Apocalypse and Omni Steel-ribbed armor is the greatest choice for engies, but it beats T1 in many spots, ...
    I added this as an intermediate armor as I'm not sure it is worth the trouble as a beginner armor.

Some of the links in section 5.6 still point to aodb.info, need to update those.
    Fixed.
    Personally I prefer auno, since aomainframe has errors in the interpolation function, so I move links to auno when I am working on a section.

While visiting the area I also made the MP and Trader buffs clearer.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    I wouldnt bother with Crepusclule armor on lowbie character ,camping it isnt really worth the effort. But high level Artillery Crepuscule chest is primary armor choice for endgame pvp.
    Added
    Also might be worth mentioning: most neutral engies I know stick to the merlin coat or use a HNTA. For lack of better options. For neutrals, this is an endgame armor, and should be mentioned as such. For engies interested in a KEC5 for PvM or even a KEC3 for PvP, HNTA may be a prime choice, anyway.
    Added
    Oh, and unless I missed something, you missed some very important armor, one you use yourself: DChest.
    Added

I believe this concludes the comments I got for the armor section. I'm pretty satisfied with it as it is, thanks for all the feedback.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast