Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Engineer Guide MkIII

Good luck reworking this! The criticism you're gonna take is gonna be huge, but worth it in the end!
    Rustybolts, 220 Supreme Creator
    Kofiannan 220 Dictator
    Aalant, 210+ Savior
    Jeffcorwen 201+ Adv
    Rustyblades 204+ Enf

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    Good luck reworking this! The criticism you're gonna take is gonna be huge, but worth it in the end!
    So far it's not criticism, just constructive remarks, and they are all welcome
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.
    WTB ql150 weapons, Grand Armbands, Eye of the Evening Star.

On your weapon choices section for PvP 12.2

You've listed Caterwaul as an option, Caterwaul is Agent only these days. Sterva the lucky damn crat has one on.

Instead you can list Kyr Energy Carbine Type 3, Zastaba, Pistols (Yes they do work great) Type 4 + 1, and some shottie action.

Cheers tho

**After closer reading of your PvP section, I've got this to add. Sorry but engineer is not a evade proff, hence using alot of IP in evade skills is wasted imo, better spent in weapon skills, so that you can call upon a wider arsenal of weapons. See we either "tank" the victim, or kite them imo. Also I'm unsure about dumping alot IP into NR, get a HH@B ++ from symbs, and maybe add some. I know I won't be able counter anything significant anyways.
    Also I think that your choice of weapons need a major rework, imo there arn't any real weapons at lower levels, you've got mad AR pets remember? Mebbe a onehander could work? And at higher levels, yes I think MA can work out great, but I'd rather base my damage on AS or in some situations pistols, but I would rather go Type 1 + 4, instead of PoP**

++ Cheers
    Last edited by Alternity; Sep 26th, 2006 at 22:47:06.
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

You may want to link to pricing for tradeskill 3.0.

Also it might be good idea to link our other reference threads in first chapter.

10.5.3. Blind (Add All Off Debuff)

Finally the most powerful of our lines. This one has a negative Add All Off modifier. Add All Off directly effects Attack Rating. Attack Rating this is the number used to figure out whether something hits, misses or criticals. The blinds simply reduce the Attack Rating value by a very large amount.

The blinds can be used to completely shut down a mob making it unable to hit you, this doesn't stop it fighting, just makes it as dangerous as a common backyard leet.

In effect this line provides us with some basic crowd control, it's not as effective as a calm, but it does give us an option in a difficult situation.

They are short range and will break on a single point of damage, or if another offensive program lands on the target.

Disruptive Photon Deflector -370
    Disruptive Photon Absorber -640
    Disruptive Photon Devourer -890
    Disruptive Photon Annihilator -1095
    Disruptive Void Projector -1210
    That statement is very relative. The top blind doesn't make the enemy as dangerous as a leet, it only lowers its attack rating by 1.2k. When mobs have crazy high AR it really doesnt make a difference lowering their 4k AR to 2.8k, and it's even less effective if your evades aren't relatively high either
    Last edited by Silverado; Sep 26th, 2006 at 22:44:42.
    Silverado: L220 Omni Engineer (Rimor)
    Equipment - Screenshot

Silverado's Little DD Guide for Engineers

Silverino: L213 Omni Soldier (Rimor)
    Equipment - Screenshot

Silverino's How to Equip a QL300 KMP5 for Soldiers

Well like i said here before - imagine how powerful this line was when it was introduced, and compare it to current situation. -1.2k AR pre-SL days ment no mob except some very strong boss mobs , nor player cant do nothing to you while being blinded. F.e. in my froob days i tried few times pvping 3 froob enforcers with similiar level/not bad setup, and with a lot of luck i even could win it. I could blind effectively blind almost every mob too. Atm when +4k AR is kinda typical, it cant make that difference in soloing/in pvp its usually better to use NSD.

I'd really like to seee blind nanoline extended - yeas even on Rubi-Ka - if every player has 100-150% higher AR then before, it would be nice if we had better debuffs too. At least it would make me feel useful at high level NW actions. For now every time i participate in tower war, i stick in being a warper/blockers buffing totem/ sometimes NSD kamikaze. And while it can be very important if one side has many dedicated engineers doing things such as mentioned, its still soooo damn boring ....

Trimmer - Divert Energy to Avoidance is very much underrated, 500 to evades is very much like DoF for bots making ur bot get hit a lot less, not so useful on dog since u r way to squishy when trimmed but make them super hard to hit

Alos i'd like to add that trox engi r prolly at their best from lvl 175-200, where u can easily self ur bot, have the same symbs/imps as other breeds and a lot more HP.

great job muha
    Last edited by roughead; Sep 27th, 2006 at 09:07:58.

What breaks what

I would love to see a section with final information on what breaks what.

1) What does break our blinds?
    -> which of our own nanos (and maybe perks) would break our blinds?
    -> which nanos of other professions would break our blinds?
    -> etc...

2) What can we break with our own nanos (AoE snare, blind)
    -> which profession's calm/mezz/root are broken by our blinds
    -> which profession's calm/mezz/root are broken by our pet's AoE snare
    -> etc...

I know the info is scattered out there, so it would be useful to have a centralized point of reference.

If this info is already in the MKIII guide... flame me!!!
    *casts Disruptive Void Projector and Intrusive Aura of Humble Servant and runs away*

Quote Originally Posted by Alternity View Post
    On your weapon choices section for PvP 12.2

You've listed Caterwaul as an option, Caterwaul is Agent only these days. Sterva the lucky damn crat has one on.

Instead you can list Kyr Energy Carbine Type 3, Zastaba, Pistols (Yes they do work great) Type 4 + 1, and some shottie action.

Cheers tho

**After closer reading of your PvP section, I've got this to add. Sorry but engineer is not a evade proff, hence using alot of IP in evade skills is wasted imo, better spent in weapon skills, so that you can call upon a wider arsenal of weapons. See we either "tank" the victim, or kite them imo. Also I'm unsure about dumping alot IP into NR, get a HH@B ++ from symbs, and maybe add some. I know I won't be able counter anything significant anyways.
    Also I think that your choice of weapons need a major rework, imo there arn't any real weapons at lower levels, you've got mad AR pets remember? Mebbe a onehander could work? And at higher levels, yes I think MA can work out great, but I'd rather base my damage on AS or in some situations pistols, but I would rather go Type 1 + 4, instead of PoP**

++ Cheers
    I removed the Caterwaul.
    As for the rest, I agree with everything you say, Highrobit's info is completly outdated. I am however a bit reluctant to write a section about something I do not personally practice. Would you be willing to spend some time and suggest a rewrite of this section?
    RK1:220/30 Alicia "Muhandes" Jolt General of Destiny. My setup/A quick screenshot
    "Guides": 210 symbs before 170, 220 symbs before 180, NM Engi Twinking 205, 210, 215, 220.

Quote Originally Posted by muha View Post
    I removed the Caterwaul.
    As for the rest, I agree with everything you say, Highrobit's info is completly outdated. I am however a bit reluctant to write a section about something I do not personally practice. Would you be willing to spend some time and suggest a rewrite of this section?
    Yeah sure

You do know your asking a Traitor to Clans to write this right?
    Darkempire 220/30/70 Agent
    {edited by Anarrina: see me if you have questions}
    When specifically asked for positive words, responding with a personal attack is incredibly rude and inappropriate. Please do not repeat such behavior.
    Quote Originally Posted by nums214 View Post
    If my wife never got preggo omni wouldn't have lost their fields. 2009 is pretty much when I quit.

With all the new engineers appearing and not always sure what they're doing , I think it might be nice idea too add some new sections, say 14. Engineer role in team. and 15. Engineer role in Notum Wars, both providing at some basic details in what areas we can perform best ,what other people expect from us, what buffs/nanos we should use and so on.

Engineers team role:

- Damage dealer: combined power of 2 pets and AI weapons make us proffesion with one of the highest damage output ingame, only truly outperformed by Shades. (link to Silverado's DD guide)

-Reflect: every serious team forming on Rubi-Ka needs a reflect shield, and we can provide it.

-AC Buffer

-mezzer (blinds and when to use them)

-managing adds with bot (at lower levels)

-warper

Engineers NW role:
    Lvl 1-60 Notum Wars- if twinked properly (warbot at 36/slayer at 60) , your pet can do devastating amount of damage no other proffesion can compare too; lvl 100-195 NW - dont even go there, endgame NW - you can have great fun working your ass up as reflect/warp/blocker monkey. :P

Thanks go to everyone for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by IHaveHugeNick View Post
    You may want to link to pricing for tradeskill 3.0.

Also it might be good idea to link our other reference threads in first chapter.
    Done and done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverado View Post
    That statement is very relative. The top blind doesn't make the enemy as dangerous as a leet, it only lowers its attack rating by 1.2k. When mobs have crazy high AR it really doesnt make a difference lowering their 4k AR to 2.8k, and it's even less effective if your evades aren't relatively high either
    It does make many enemies "as dangerous as a leet". But of course not all. I reworded it a bit, and added the fact that it doesn't help that much on higher level mobs.

I'd really like to seee blind nanoline extended...
    So would I. But lets stick to the guide in this thread, there are plenty of other threads more appropriate for rasing new suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by roughead View Post
    Trimmer - Divert Energy to Avoidance is very much underrated, 500 to evades is very much like DoF for bots making ur bot get hit a lot less, not so useful on dog since u r way to squishy when trimmed but make them super hard to hit

Alos i'd like to add that trox engi r prolly at their best from lvl 175-200, where u can easily self ur bot, have the same symbs/imps as other breeds and a lot more HP.
    I tried to find wher in the guide Divert Energy to Avoidance is underrated, and I couldn't find it, maybe I missed something. If you think it is extremly usefull maybe it's worth mentioning that specifically, but I tried to use it on some occasions, and I could never see the bot evading anything substantial. In what situation do you see this trimmer so usefull?
    Breed ideas go to the breed choice thread, please post them there.

Quote Originally Posted by zartosht View Post
    I would love to see a section with final information on what breaks what.

1) What does break our blinds?
    ....They are short range and will break on a single point of damage, or if another offensive program lands on the target.
    I think this answers the question better than listing all offensive programs in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by zartosht View Post
    2) What can we break with our own nanos (AoE snare, blind)
    The information is all there, except the fact that crat calms are not broken, which I added.

10.4. Team Play
    Be a little more careful in teams with some of our programs. The snare program the bot has can attract adds and break calms (except those made by crats).

The Blind program and other offensive auras we have also break calms (except those made by crats).
    10.5. Offensive and Defensive Auras
    Please note that all our Offensive auras break calms (except those made by crats), and carry a chance to draw in extra mobs to the fight so use them with care.

With all the new engineers appearing and not always sure what they're doing , I think it might be nice idea too add some new sections, say 14. Engineer role in team. and 15. Engineer role in Notum Wars, both providing at some basic details in what areas we can perform best ,what other people expect from us, what buffs/nanos we should use and so on.

Engineers team role:

- Damage dealer: combined power of 2 pets and AI weapons make us proffesion with one of the highest damage output ingame, only truly outperformed by Shades. (link to Silverado's DD guide)

-Reflect: every serious team forming on Rubi-Ka needs a reflect shield, and we can provide it.

-AC Buffer

-mezzer (blinds and when to use them)

-managing adds with bot (at lower levels)

-warper

Engineers NW role:
    Lvl 1-60 Notum Wars- if twinked properly (warbot at 36/slayer at 60) , your pet can do devastating amount of damage no other proffesion can compare too; lvl 100-195 NW - dont even go there, endgame NW - you can have great fun working your ass up as reflect/warp/blocker monkey. :P
    The first part belongs in section 10.4, I'll add it when I have time.
    The second part can be added as 10.5, again when I have the time.

Introduction

So you started an Engineer? First of all let me welcome you to the profession and to our forum, don't be afraid to ask questions here no matter how silly they may seem.
    Please make up your mind. You tell people to ask even the silly questions, yet flame them for asking lvl 201+ weapon questions.

You seem a bit too new to be jaded and bitter already. Maybe you weren't cut out for this "job"?

4.x.. You should also mention the award of tokens for doing missions, as well as a brief about the token board.

5.4 You should also mention that you cann reset base abilities (since you specifically stated you cannot reset map nav)
    Last edited by Zzart; Sep 27th, 2006 at 12:16:28.
    ** I don't do typo's, I am just testing your knowledge of Vocabulary.
    ** How do you know you cannot achieve something if you never personally try it?
    Zzart 207 NM Eng
    SoldierZzart 220 Atrox Soldier

Quote Originally Posted by Zzart View Post
    Please make up your mind. You tell people to ask even the silly questions, yet flame them for asking lvl 201+ weapon questions.
    There is a difference betwen asking a "silly question" that has never been covered before and asking a "silly question" that has been covered ad nauseum and could be easily found if the person just tried to actually look for it.

5.4 You should also mention that you cann reset base abilities (since you specifically stated you cannot reset map nav)
    Not anymore.
    [[ RYUAHN | 220/21 Opifex Trader
    == Proud Member of Core ==
    [[ ALASTROPHE | 220/15 Solitus Martial-Artist

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    There is literally nothing wrong with {Shutdown Skills} in it's current incarnation. What should be being looked at is the reason why it's needed so much. E.g, the incredible amount of Alpha being thrown around and the fickleness of Evade profs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cratertina View Post
    I walk in to BS... could not perk people... with 3704 AR and 300 AAD drain... NT facerolled me, shade instagibbed me, after a few minutes I just decided not gonna bother.

Maybe this has changed since last I tried it, but doesn't the bot's snare aura break our blinds each time it updates? If so, this might be worth mentioning.
    Luuv lvl220/19/67 NM engie equip
    Spamheal lvl205/23 NM doc equip
    You might not believe it possible, but not all my toons are in my signature! *gasp*
    And yes, I always edit my posts.

4.x.. You should also mention the award of tokens for doing missions, as well as a brief about the token board.

Please keep this thread for feedback about the guide.

Section 4 deals with methods to afford your engi, I don't see how tokens have anything to do with it.
    I added the idea to add a section about token boards, which will also mention ways to get tokens, to the to do list.

I assume you meant you can't reset base abilities. I added that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Luuv View Post
    Maybe this has changed since last I tried it, but doesn't the bot's snare aura break our blinds each time it updates? If so, this might be worth mentioning.
    They are short range and will break on a single point of damage, or if another offensive program lands on the target.
    I think this works better than listing all offensive program

Yes, I meant you CANNOT reset base abilities.

7.3 - all of these weapons are rollable, except for the soft pepper pistol. The SPP is the rare mission drop. (you claim the waltzing queen is the rare drop, but I seem to roll it extremely often.

10.5.3 Blinds - It should be mentioned that the blinds break some calms, which can be "hazardous" in certain groups.

Also, it should be mentioned that the effectiveness of the blinds is directly related to the level of Evade-Clcs. This is currently not mentioned at all.
    ** I don't do typo's, I am just testing your knowledge of Vocabulary.
    ** How do you know you cannot achieve something if you never personally try it?
    Zzart 207 NM Eng
    SoldierZzart 220 Atrox Soldier

It does make many enemies "as dangerous as a leet". But of course not all. I reworded it a bit, and added the fact that it doesn't help that much on higher level mobs.
    Then again it does help alot against higher level mobs, since it allows you to solo many difficult bosses on both RK and SL, and it also helps alot in alien raids, making your evade-class teammates even harder to hit

The effect of this nanoprogram is clear: it lowers the attack rating of your opponent by 1.2k (the top one)

Maybe leave it up to the reader to decide when it's useful and when it isn't
    Silverado: L220 Omni Engineer (Rimor)
    Equipment - Screenshot

Silverado's Little DD Guide for Engineers

Silverino: L213 Omni Soldier (Rimor)
    Equipment - Screenshot

Silverino's How to Equip a QL300 KMP5 for Soldiers

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast