Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please Read an Exploit Revealed

I know exactly how this works...1) Any profession can do it, just that NTs are faster because of AoE 2) I have reported it also 3) I was accidently a part of a team that was doing this (when the first mob dropped, I left because I knew it wasn't right) 3) I have been told that it is not considered an exploit, but that doesn't mean that I don't think it is one.

Its this simple, if FC is saying it isn't an expliot, use it until they tell you it is...just make sure you save copies of people saying that it isn't an exploit as your defense. Is that right? No, but it is the only choice that we have been left with.
    Princess"Lashleigh" Tabledancer - Unit member of Nirvana

Yes, I had my own fan club. Behold the power of spam....

Unhappy Too vague

As usual, the wording of the rule is too vague to provide sufficient notice, unless everyone plays the game in totally safe-mode.

An exploit in the game is a bug or design error that makes it possible for characters to fight monsters, solve quests, or earn money that normally should be out of that character’s reach.
    with emphasis: An exploit in the game is a bug or design error that makes it possible for characters to ... solve quests ... that normally should be out of that character’s reach.

So, bring a high level person along on static missions/dungeons is exploiting also. Perhaps that's why GMs killed and teleported people out of Camelot? Those pesky level 200s stinking up a lvl 100 dungeon and killing Tarasque (solve quests) for them.

If anyone doesn't see the sarcasm, I'll just do a few of these now:

makes it possible for characters to fight monsters
    But they are not fighting the monsters, are they? They're just standing there, harvesting XP.

But, I bet the real reason FC has taken this stance on it, is that it would take a ****load of work to fix it. I mean, they would have to rewrite the entire xp-gaining-system (make lvl-checks when initiating combat, not when combat is over) And do you all know what happens when FC rewrites something?

Can you say 'emergency-patch'?

Anyway, I believe they have set almost every man they can spare onto the booster pack and the expansion pack, and have little or nothing to spare for normal patching/bugfix/exploitfix. So they chose this chicken poop way.

It is all becoming clear now...

Everything goes as long as the masses dont know and follow the suit?

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up Cosmic...

Zarch and the chars

Originally posted by Cosmik
    We currently do not consider this to be an exploit. It is a design matter, and we're working on it, but we expect, and would appreciate it if, it isn't taken advantage off in anyway. Naturally, since we have said "currently" - if many people continue to use it and try to abuse it, our consideration of the situation might (ie will) change....
    Exploit...design flaw...bug.....who gives a leets ass what's the euphamism is. It is a problem.
    .: Naraya :.

Exploit...design flaw...bug.....who gives a leets ass what's the euphamism is. It is a problem

Why is it a problem?

Does it negatively effect your gameplay?
    Does it give characters an unfair advantage over others?

The people who are doing this, are doing it with twinks.
    They have high level (150+) characters and probably don't like dealing with the drudgery of the first 50-60 levels.

Seriously, anyone who's started a twink knows the quickest way to level up is with other twinks (friends) or solo. Since you would probably never group with them until 70-80, what's the difference if they solo or 'fast track'?

Same thing like in EQ.
    People pissed and moaned about twinks with fungus tunics and druids twinking them.

This is essentially the same thing.

Think about it.
    The players who use this technique/eploit/trick will have no advantage over the players who leveled up their twinks the 'good ole fashioned way'.

Originally posted by Miir
    The simplest possible fix is to disable leaving teams during a fight.
    That would work if the game wasn't so buggy.

If you get aggro'd by a mob 6 rooms away and the mob is immobile or stuck, you are still technically "in a fight" and can not recharge nano, nor can you invite anyone into the team.

This happens all the time in missions, in Smuggler's Den (the damn MK II protector cannon), and even more often with pet classes when pets get aggro, even sometimes after you zone, people can't be invited into the team until the pets are killed.

This would make leaving a team quite a task in the above circumstances because of, *gasp*, more game bugs.

But in theory, yes, that would be the most obvious solution

--Tsk

This happens all the time in missions, in Smuggler's Den (the damn MK II protector cannon)

LOL, they should be renamed "Pet Magnet MKII".

But seriously, I can't think of any reason (other than to use the aforementioned "trick") that someone would need to leave a team in the middle of a fight.

Exploit...design flaw...bug.....who gives a leets ass what's the euphamism is. It is a problem

Why is it a problem?

Yep it sure does, you are forgetting about all the regular players whom it took months to get to level 60, or the new people joining the game; although there may be fewer than we think. If you dont call that an advantage well....

They have high level (150+) characters and probably don't like dealing with the drudgery of the first 50-60 levels.
    Some would argue that these are the most fun levels to play in the game since you can actually hunt rather than do missions 100% of the time in BS. Yeah I dont feel like dealing with getting XP like everyone else so I'll just cheat.

The players who use this technique/eploit/trick will have no advantage over the players who leveled up their twinks the 'good ole fashioned way'.

The biggest flaw in your argument is assuming that everyone in this game is a twink. Well for better or for worse most of us arent. The vast majority of players probably havent been on a Tarasque raid and the way things are going probably never will. The purpose of this game isnt to cater solely to the whims of power players like yourself. Regular players are the ones paying the bills for FC and to assume that just because you have a high level player that if you start a new one the same rules that apply to newbs dont apply to yourself is pure arrogance.
    Last edited by ayabe; Aug 23rd, 2002 at 22:39:00.
    "tYpInG lIkE tHiS or using numbers for letters (D00D!) is not clever, and will get you marked as someone to avoid."
    -Sybex Official Strategies and Secrets of Anarchy Online

146 Nano NT - Ayabe (retired, naked, and penniless)
    33 Opifex Fixer - Nekkidas (orphaned)
    72 Sol MA - Medang (orphaned)
    42 Sol MP - Lilake (orphaned)
    18 Sol Adv (orphaned)
    10 Sol Trader (orphaned)

Why is it a problem?

Seriously, anyone who's started a twink knows the quickest way to level up is with other twinks (friends) or solo. Since you would probably never group with them until 70-80, what's the difference if they solo or 'fast track'?

Same thing like in EQ.
    People pissed and moaned about twinks with fungus tunics and druids twinking them.

This is essentially the same thing.

Think about it.
    It doesn't affect me at all. I don't really care if people use this feature to get their alts up. I say: The more high level peeps floating around on Rubi-Ka the better.

The disadvantage it presents is simple...new players or non-twinkers look at these twinks and feel gimped because the twinks are perceived as being more uber than them when in reality it is simply the combination of knowing how far you can push the game and help from friends / org members. This causes complaints and as a result of them the game devs start whipping out their nerf bats & love sticks to satisfy the angry n00bs while breaking the game even further for the peeps that have been around for awhile.

That.....is the problem.
    .: Naraya :.

The biggest flaw in your argument is assuming that everyone in this game is a twink. Well for better or for worse most of us arent.

There was no such assumption made.

The only people that would have the means to use this "feature" are high level players twinking up an alt.

I sure as hell wouldn't take some random real newbie out to a camp and powerlevel the 30-40 levels in an afternoon. It would be depriving them of learning how to play the game.

I sure as hell wouldn't take some random real newbie out to a camp and powerlevel the 30-40 levels in an afternoon. It would be depriving them of learning how to play the game.

Well who is to say someone else wouldnt?
    "tYpInG lIkE tHiS or using numbers for letters (D00D!) is not clever, and will get you marked as someone to avoid."
    -Sybex Official Strategies and Secrets of Anarchy Online

146 Nano NT - Ayabe (retired, naked, and penniless)
    33 Opifex Fixer - Nekkidas (orphaned)
    72 Sol MA - Medang (orphaned)
    42 Sol MP - Lilake (orphaned)
    18 Sol Adv (orphaned)
    10 Sol Trader (orphaned)

Originally posted by ayabe
    Well who is to say someone else wouldnt?
    I don't understand the issue here.

If somebody powerlevels someone new to the game to level 60 in a matter of 2 days, they will have no idea how to play their character, and it will show in teams.

That would be their choice, and it may drive them to starting a new character and learning it from the beginning.

This is why I only see people doing this with their alts to speed up the initial levelling process so they don't become even more bored with the game, and continue to start new characters. That is a good thing, imho.

--Tsk

This is not making the game any better

Its like a dog chasing its own tail - al ot of fun until you reach it.

This for sure is not making the game any better. However, it will most certainly have bad effects on both the game and the community.

Miir don't screem too loud when you take big chunk up your own but.

Lamonia

President of the Anvil - NON exploiting clan guild

Thumbs down It is a exploit!

Well...

Its this is a exploit in the eyes of everyone who actually play the game to get xp for next lvl, but not in the eyes of FC.

This hardly supprises me, like doing missions takes longer than running them for xp reward. That Kinkstaah guy just ran his way to lvl 200 in a few weeks. Fair? No, dose FC care? No, they instead rewarded him to be the profesinal, so he can play with the GM`s on the test server. Without asking anyone of us if we wanted that guy to represent us.

fine, fine... it don't affect you, so everything is just dandy, right? Selfish you are! (think that sentence in Yoda's voice)

What happens, when every secondary char fast forwards to lvl 60?
    What happens when the newbies don't find skilled players to team with?
    What happens when newbies don't have a clue on how to reach lvl 60, because they don't know **** about the game beause none of the "old-timers" team with thema nd tell them stuff?
    What then?

I can honestly not believe Cosmik said what he said.

It IS a design-flaw. It IS beeing used to gain an unfair advantage.
    HE SAID IT WAS "OK" TOUSE; AS LONG AS THERE WERE NOT MANY PEOPLE USING IT! How the *beep* can he come here and say that?

btw, why is it that SO many explopits include NT's? No wonder they're nerfed! NTs had the AoE nuking doors-exploit. they had the nuking outside of mob visual range nerf. They had a few others as well, but I don't remember right now. They was nerfed all the time because they exploited all the time!

I'm allmost tempted to encourage people to use it. If many use it, FC might change their mind about it (Cosmik's own words).

BAH! It's no good anyway.

I'll go and sit in my hole now.

btw, all FC needs to do, id change the coding to make sure the lvls of teammebers are checked when combat is initiated. Once combat is initiated, you can't add teammembers, so there would be no high-lvl something joining in to help. But nooooooo..... that would be too hard to make, right?

target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....target cannot be in a fight....

opps... i didn't say that...
    Q u o t e:
    ((OOC))

Pardon me for hijacking the thread, here..

But, Brion - if you don't want your mother to know you were up and on the computer at 3:29 in the morning - DON'T post on a forum that she reads.

Busted.
    Grounded.

From the WoW forums. best PWNAGE EVAH!!!

Whats the big deal here?

Almost every single high level player have done the slow newbie levelling at one time or another.

If they want an alt or two, to team with their friends to make the game more interesting and fun, please let them do so in peace and quiet. Whats the big deal.

This game is not all about levelling even if most people think it is. Ask yourself, what are you going to do at level 200? Play SWG? Those people doing the powerlevelling, dont do it become uber God like creatures. Its their way of reaching a stage of play they enjoy.

Enjoy your time in Rubi-Ka too, find a playstyle you like. Dont waste time getting annoyed about other peoples playstyle as long as it does not harm you directly or cause serious grief.

This piece of game mechanics is only for the good.

It keeps some people happy. Happy players are good for this game.

- and no, I have never used the team power levelling technique yet, but that is just my playstyle

I am not saying that I never would consider it.

Actually come to think of it, my level 10 Doc seems to have some troubles levelling fast enough. And what use is a level 10 Doc anyway.....

Miir don't screem too loud when you take big chunk up your own but

I have no idea what that means, but it sounds awfully perverse.

Originally posted by Amalgam
    Whats the big deal here?

Almost every single high level player have done the slow newbie levelling at one time or another.

If they want an alt or two, to team with their friends to make the game more interesting and fun, please let them do so in peace and quiet. Whats the big deal.

This game is not all about levelling even if most people think it is. Ask yourself, what are you going to do at level 200? Play SWG? Those people doing the powerlevelling, dont do it become uber God like creatures. Its their way of reaching a stage of play they enjoy.

Enjoy your time in Rubi-Ka too, find a playstyle you like. Dont waste time getting annoyed about other peoples playstyle as long as it does not harm you directly or cause serious grief.

This piece of game mechanics is only for the good.

It keeps some people happy. Happy players are good for this game.

- and no, I have never used the team power levelling technique yet, but that is just my playstyle

I am not saying that I never would consider it.

Actually come to think of it, my level 10 Doc seems to have some troubles levelling fast enough. And what use is a level 10 Doc anyway.....
    Now that everyone knows about this exploit, guilds are going to offer powerlvling you to lvl 60 If you join there guild. And even moore guilds are going to offer the same service to there recrutes. I know there are big guilds allready out there doing this, not publicly but they offer it as a service for there low lvl recrutes.

And why not? this saves the guild lots of work and equipement to help these guys "play" from lvl 1-60. When they have EXPLOITED them to lvl 60 they just have to drop some standard issu ql 90 stuff on them.

This should have been considerd a Exploit from the moment it was discoverd.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast