Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Please Read an Exploit Revealed

Originally posted by Cosmik
    We currently do not consider this to be an exploit. It is a design matter, and we're working on it, but we expect, and would appreciate it if, it isn't taken advantage off in anyway. Naturally, since we have said "currently" - if many people continue to use it and try to abuse it, our consideration of the situation might (ie will) change....
    Translated:
    Well, we know the high lvls don't want to start over at lvl 1 so we allow those elite few to power lvl there chars past the first 50-100 lvls so we can keep them because there is no high lvl contect (yay 14.5), however when we feel like it we will declare it an exploit and probably ban alot of people for fun.
    hehe ok maybe I am exagerating, but its funny don't ya think ..?
    Devis 194 Agent Retired
    Xxdevisxx 200 Engi
    ----------------
    VASHBot A simple and secure guild/raid bot for AO
    VASHBot Forums

FC posts never ceases to amaze

We currently do not consider this to be an exploit. It is a design matter, and we're working on it, but we expect, and would appreciate it if, it isn't taken advantage off in anyway. Naturally, since we have said "currently" - if many people continue to use it and try to abuse it, our consideration of the situation might (ie will) change....
    I'm glad to see such consistent inconsistency from FunCom. You use the same spurious logic whether it concerns name violations or exploits. Just post in this thread when this becomes a real exploit, will you, darling?
    FunnyFace
    Running with Notum scissors

Things that make you go...hmmmm?

Take a look at this article on exploits etc.: http://community.anarchy-online.com/...articles/1220L

I think it pretty much says it all and states the definition for an exploit:

"Exploit

Our RoC states: (point 11) 'Exploitable bug: bugs that grant the user unnatural or unintended benefits in-game for a character of their profession and level'."

I think jumping from 15 to 47 in 15 minutes qualifies as a benefit that a level 15 character gets that seems unnatural don't you think?

EDIT: typing errors

Difference here is that it isnt really a bug that allows it, its the design. And neither is it effective to go higher than lvl 50-60.

Originally posted by MSag
    Difference here is that it isnt really a bug that allows it, its the design. And neither is it effective to go higher than lvl 50-60.
    This is the definition of a bug from the same link:

"Bug

Any aspect of the game that does not work as it "should" or as "intended"; crashes, and disconnects, but also logical errors. Most of these are really easy to understand. You crash to desktop, or use something that normally would have given a certain effect, and nothing happens.

A difficult grey area in this discussion is the so-called "design flaws", where the players do something the development team has not fully anticipated. A good example is the "mission runs", where you could just run through the whole mission area with little risk, and get huge rewards both in money and experience as a result. They were anticipated to a certain degree, but the initial design had a too poor pathing of the monsters, and hence the missions became a walk in the park."

Didn't say it was a bug. Said it was an exploit, which to me, is taking advantage of the design flaws stated in this thread.

Originally posted by MSag
    Agreed. From what I can calculate it also becomes "slower" then regular team missions at level 80-90. Unless you can find a group of MOBs that are giving 5% or more of a level per and can be killed in mass for a level 80-90 by a level 200 NT

PS -

This can also be done with ANY other profession. Engineers, enforcers, soldiers, etc could all partake in this, however from 1-60 the NT can do it with AOEs. AOEs = faster.

Big deal? I don't know. It isn't like you could do this up to level 200 or anything.

So its ok as long as you dont get to level like this post 80 or so right? Pfft. Are you serious? So FC's response to this is that as long as everyone doesnt figure out how to do this its ok? So I find out how to dupe items or something like that but I dont tell anyone thats ok too? Since only I know about it? WTF? By allowing this to continue you are ignoring that fact that different rules are governing different players. I dont know all the legalese but I think you are breaking a contract with your subscribers. We pay you to provide a game environment where everyone plays by the same rules and you are ignoring that bigtime. I've been silent about a lot of things going on in this game and i've been around for over a year now, but Im not willing to let this one slide FC. This is total BS, and the only people that would rationally be defending this are those who use this EXPLOIT. Sorry thats what it is no matter what you say.
    "tYpInG lIkE tHiS or using numbers for letters (D00D!) is not clever, and will get you marked as someone to avoid."
    -Sybex Official Strategies and Secrets of Anarchy Online

146 Nano NT - Ayabe (retired, naked, and penniless)
    33 Opifex Fixer - Nekkidas (orphaned)
    72 Sol MA - Medang (orphaned)
    42 Sol MP - Lilake (orphaned)
    18 Sol Adv (orphaned)
    10 Sol Trader (orphaned)

Actually I know what I will do, I will go on Ebay and advertise to all newcomers in AO.

"GET TO LEVEL 50 IN 1 HOUR!"

The winning bidder will be entitled to team with me and get 50 levels in 1 hour. Minimum bid $100.

Since FC doenst care about selling on Ebay anyways and since Nikkidial claims to have made over $11,000 selling items there I figure I could make a few thousand easy I mean there are a lot of people who need their alts levelled fast, and theres tons of newbs who have taken months to get to level 30. They need some help obviously, I mean it was too hard for us old timers anyhow to gain our levels legitimately so lets help them out. Yeah me and some other NT's are going to form a corporation that specializes in exploiting. FC doenst care, so anyone whos interested just send me $100 in the mail and meet me at PM at the designated time.

Regards,

Ayabe

p.s. I need to get away from this game for a while, the more I think about this entire issue the more incensed I become.
    "tYpInG lIkE tHiS or using numbers for letters (D00D!) is not clever, and will get you marked as someone to avoid."

18 Sol Adv (orphaned)
    10 Sol Trader (orphaned)

Arrow

I have to agree with Scorus, either its an exploit and hence a bannable offence, or it isn't. Whether it is the result of a bug or of broken design should make no difference.

hmm if u dont like the game or the rules of the game (the rules that FC decides) stop playing it dont pay them and dont start threads about it.
    so they dont think its a Xspoit well then its not a xsploint its that simple if u dont like it well stop playing.. well it is FC game and rules, i dont agre whit all of them but i hafto live whit that.. SO if FC dont think its a sploit then it isent.

/PS i dont think posting links to ther Xsploit site will help

/ Tolbat

It's just clever use of a game mechanic.
    Sure, it could be considered a 'boderline' exploit, but someone powerleveing a twink up to 50-60 in a few hours doesn't effect my gameplay at all.

If anything, it deprives the twinker of learning the nuances of the particular profession in the lower levels.

The same game mechanic that allows this is the one that allows partial XP for damage done in multi group/person fights. I personally hope they don't change that mechanic.

The simplest possible fix is to disable leaving teams during a fight.

Its the principle that makes the most difference guys I dont see how you are failing to see this. It isnt clever by any stretch of the term, no more clever than it was to use the NCU exploit, guild bank exploit etc. I dont want anyone to be banned I just want dont want this to occur.

18 Sol Adv (orphaned)
    10 Sol Trader (orphaned)

Originally posted by Miir
    It's just clever use of a game mechanic.
    Sure, it could be considered a 'boderline' exploit, but someone powerleveing a twink up to 50-60 in a few hours doesn't effect my gameplay at all.
    ?

The implication here is that it's only more serious than a 'borderline' exploit if it effects your gameplay?

As for the entire thread, this just doesn't make sense to me - if it's not going to be a good thing to have a lot of people use it, it's not going to be a good thing when a few people do.

Guys, you should do a search on the Net to find what these exploits are before you start to call nerf. I found what this so called "exploit" is and since it's NOT considered one according to Cosmik himself, it should be possible to discuss it here.

Like Miir stated, it's a clever use of the XP system. The same system allows you to gain XP from Tarasque, even if you didn't get loot rights. Now, if THAT mechanic was changed, then XP gained from kills when you are NOT in the team will completely change. It would be chaos especially with the upcoming Dyna-Camps where multiple groups will be needed to take down bosses. Nobody would EVER go.

For the first time, I understand Funcom's perspective on this. To change this mechanic would be to basically restructure the entire XP system in this game. It's a hell of a job.

And to be honest, it only gets any given character to about level 60-75 with almost no effort. While that may be a lot for some, the game is SO easy at those levels that most people who level normally are that high in a couple days. Trust me I don't exactly think it's "fair" either considering I put work into my lowbie Soldier. But I also don't want them to take the feature used in that away.

And CONSIDERING I play a profession that is NOT damage based, I don't want XP based on damage done in a team. It would ruin the play of Healers and Crowd Control. Doctors and Crats are already rare enough.

Anyone who can get a 150+ NT to waste a couple hours of his life to level an alt probably knows enough to do a better job of playing said alt than someone for whom it's their main.

That sentence is grammatically correct. I checked. It's a simple sentence, even.

Exploits....Dime a dozen...Powerful mobs should kill itty bitty players like that. Hunt them down first by using its teleport bug and eating them first.
    -- Falling never killed anyone, its always the landing.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
    RK-1
    |OT|
    Telgi-61 Solitus Enforcer
    Gauf-31 Nanomage Doctor
    Saruzi- -=128=- Opifex Nano-Technician.
    Manstien-44 Solitus Soldier

Heheh... I think I know how this so called "exploit" works.

One uber high level solo + at least one low level in teams ?

Quite ok IMO. Those who have such high level characters would be bored going thru the teen levels (1 to 50). I belief this is mostly done by veterans twinking new toons. They could have done it in 1 day by normal methods anyway. This just save them a bit of time and get them into a more "interesting" level.

Any non-twinks doing the above... will result in severely gimped characters in terms of not having enough cash, equipments, playing experience, etc.

LOL!

If NTs can do this the best I say leave it! We could profit offa it charging peeps to be power leveled and I can finally have something to do instead of....looking for a team....n....stuff...

Ill LVL anyone up like this. My going rate is 15 Million PER LEVEL that you raise. Payment must be made in advance. j/k
    My Uber L33t Setup Includes:

Blazindro Clan 125 NT

Originally posted by Lucid Flow

And to be honest, it only gets any given character to about level 60-75 with almost no effort. While that may be a lot for some, the game is SO easy at those levels that most people who level normally are that high in a couple days. Trust me I don't exactly think it's "fair" either considering I put work into my lowbie Soldier. But I also don't want them to take the feature used in that away.

Well Lucid I agree that I dont want XP IN a team to be based on damage, but there has to be limits in place. Otherwise what would stop a level 75 from dinging 8 times doing a 200+ mission with some higher level players? These limits have always "in theory" been in place, now that a way has been found that allows players to get around this it changes something that is fundmental in teams. My first char took quite a while to get to 80, not a few days, granted the game is a lot easier to get through the low levels nowadays but it would stay take some time to get that high even if you know what you are doing. Im sure there are some people in this game who can make 80 in a few days, but for the vast majority who see sunlight on a regular basis this isnt the case.

18 Sol Adv (orphaned)
    10 Sol Trader (orphaned)

Originally posted by Ashuras
    Quite ok IMO. Those who have such high level characters would be bored going thru the teen levels (1 to 50). I belief this is mostly done by veterans twinking new toons. They could have done it in 1 day by normal methods anyway. This just save them a bit of time and get them into a more "interesting" level.

Any non-twinks doing the above... will result in severely gimped characters in terms of not having enough cash, equipments, playing experience, etc.
    In that case I suggest that Funcom implements an option at character creation that lets you choose <insert "interesting" level here> if you have a higher level character.
    FunnyFace
    Running with Notum scissors

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast