Thread: Still crashing & getting booted.

Still crashing & getting booted.

Patch didn't fix anything, still getting same random crashes and getting booted. Anyone else?

5 crashes today and more than i can count lags and chat lags etc etc etc.. impossible to level or do anything serious

Guys its awesome that you did the patch that fast but... Pls take longer and fix stuff rather than being fast and messing everything up.

FC fix this fast... its unbearable :S...
    Wasnt even doing serious stuff and I just quited playin
    crashed 5 times within 3 hours with the message:

we are trying to fix the ld's... kinda annoying,

fix this as soon as possible.. have to do some serieus stuff b4 this week ends :s (wanted to do that 3 days back.. crashes made it impossible)
    Harios - [Enforcer] cookies 220/30
    Advass - [Adventurer] nerf 220/21
    Wackios - [Shade] gankzsz 220/16
    Soldios - [Soldier] FA Burst 220/22
    Docios - [Doctor] healsplxz 220/20
    Cratios - [Bureaucrat] tape 220/19
    Proud Board Member of Dark Front Cookies >> Bacon, remember that!

the patch wasn t for crash fix purpose ( i mean the one appeared since the last week end ).

the problem is being investigated, like it was written on launcher yesterday and 2 days ago. yes, of course it disappeared today to put "servers are up" message after patching.

"The problem may come from an external network issue and is being investigated."

the message was something like that, i don t remember exactly.

maybe Fc should put back the investigation message on the launcher.
    Akhtar ,
    Partner of the scientific labs of Broken Shores

Through the light of Darkness, I m still alive and feel the Sadness of the Universe...

When you start to see fire in your eyes when you are reading forums, then leave them and take a cold wash

Hurry FC! i dont wanna leave AO again

Anybody running 3 TRACERTs to Funcom when they get booted or go LD?

Tried running traces and pings during crash.

-Ping is constant right up to crash where it spikes once.

-Spikes only occur when connected to the AO server.

-Tracert is constant all through the crash

-I can log back in immediately after crashing

I have to assume from a lack of info that FC has implemented server limiting to reduce lag because the client is clearly kicking me off for no reason and a couple days resolution with no information at all except that it's always a few more days for a major problem such as this is bs.
    Krendor Lvl 220 Soldier - Field Marshall

Ah, the reason I asked about the Tracerts, and I normally ask people to run 3, is because several people have dropped them and shown where SAVVIS, Funcoms backbone, would give excessively high times periodically.

Then, one person even showed where out of three times on 1 hop, it return one as 100 times higher than the other 2 (example: 1531ms 15ms 16ms)

Here lately Ive even been plagued with these disconnects. And your right, logging back in is not a problem, even playing for 15 minutes and then bam, disconnected again, relog no problem. Whatever is causing this is getting worse, I believe.

Angry Come back blues..

Well the subject pretty much says its all. Decided to come back to AO after a 8 month leave last week. Only issue is I can't stay in game for any length of time. If I stand still I stay in about 15 minutes. If I move around at all I drop in 4 to 8 minutes.

3 different Nic cards, 4 different cables, 3MB cable modem connection, 30 tracerts to server all under 40ms on each hop with a total of 3 spikes under 300, clean install of windows xp pro, and instant reconnect after getting dumped.

VoIP phone calls, DAOC, EQ, CoH, 1.3 gig download for the game, Teamspeak with 15 people all over the US.. all no issues.

After 36 hours of testing and tweaking and the impression I get is the server loses track of where my toon is at in the world, can't recover, and dumps me.

Kinda leaves a stale taste in my mouth to get all excited to come back to one of the games I've enjoyed the most only to find I can't actually play the dang thing.

System Specs
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional
    System Manufacturer: ASUSTeK Computer INC.
    System Model: A7N8X2.0
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3200+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
    Memory: 1536MB RAM Corsair XMS Platinum
    Page File: 242MB used, 3192MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0b (4.09.0000.0902)
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.0001.0902 32bit Unicode
    -------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce FX 5950 Ultra
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1024 x 768 (32 bit) (120Hz)
    Monitor: ViewSonic G220fb
    *All latest drivers for everything.*

****Update****
    Well I did some more testing on the same system, but with nothing running in the background save the basic WinXP services and no routers or firewalls. I then ran PacketMon and ran it for 10 logins to drops. In every run there is a spurt of packets that are empty save header info, and I'm pretty sure they aren't keep alive packets. Shortly after that burst is when I can no longer sit or cast. Then shortly after I get disco'd.

Then just to see what would happen I went to a friends place not to far away and installed AO on his Pent/ATI vid based system and a DSL connection. Same thing happens. After that I had a friend log in on my account in the southern states and he had no issue.

I've run so many tracerts it makes me sick to think of it, but I haven't seen more then a few spikes here and there. None of them over 400.

I can't seem to find a common cause save the empty packets from the AO server, and why it would do that to me here but not to someone in the south I have no clue. I could understand it if I was seeing large ping or packet loss spikes somewhere, but I'm not.

I give up! Will wait till end of this months sub, and if not resolved I'll just have to move on to something else.
    Good luck to the rest of you having similar issues.
    Last edited by Datawight; Jul 25th, 2004 at 17:37:57.

Sample Trace Route

Tracing route to r038.d1.funcom.com [216.74.158.38]

over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 13 ms 17 ms 13 ms 10.229.52.1

2 14 ms 16 ms 14 ms bar01-p1-1-0.webshe1.mn.attbb.net [24.31.2.57]

3 17 ms 22 ms 15 ms bar01-f1-1-0.broohe1.mn.attbb.net [24.31.1.141]

4 15 ms 15 ms 15 ms 24.31.2.105

5 13 ms 14 ms 13 ms 24.31.2.22

6 23 ms 24 ms 24 ms 12.118.104.9

7 24 ms 26 ms 24 ms tbr1-p011801.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.123.6.58]

8 22 ms 24 ms 23 ms ggr2-p310.cgcil.ip.att.net [12.123.6.65]

9 23 ms 24 ms 27 ms dcr1-so-3-3-0.Chicago.savvis.net [208.175.10.93]

10 45 ms 51 ms 53 ms dcr1-loopback.NewYork.savvis.net [206.24.194.99]

11 44 ms 43 ms 45 ms ahr1-pos-0-0.Weehawkennj2.savvis.net [206.24.207.34]

12 57 ms 45 ms 44 ms csr11-ve240.Weehawkennj2.savvis.net [216.35.65.146]

13 44 ms 46 ms 53 ms 64.14.46.86

14 43 ms 44 ms 46 ms r038.d1.funcom.com [216.74.158.38]

Trace complete.

Some additional testing

I swapped my chip out and went to a older 2800 AMD, and I've also tried with just one stick of memory. Then swapped that stick out for another till I had tried all three.
    I then uninstalled the nvidia drives and cleaned them from my system and installed a ATI 9200 card.

I've tried with everything off in video and in resolutions from lowest possible setting to highest. I also turned off all sounds. I even reverted to the old GUI in game, and I've uninstalled and removed reg keys for AO then defragged the HD and reinstalled from CD.

I ran the game in Win2k and Win98 compatability mode.
    All with no results.

So just to see, I reinstalled City of Heroes and logged in there in a high traffic training area and left it logged in while I slept. 7 hours later, still in and running smooth as glass.

You can't really compare the two games, BUT taking this all into account shows that its something in the AO client or with the server and not my system.

Figure I'd post a followup. 8)
    Last edited by Datawight; Jul 27th, 2004 at 03:18:36.

Latest Update

Bios - newest rev
    New Vid Card driver
    New chipset drivers

No IRQ sharing on mouse, vid, netcard.. all have seperate IRQs.

Changed page file over to different drive from the one AO is installed on.

Tried AGP 4x mode - no change.

Installed a US Robotics 56k modem and tried a dialup connection, same thing.

Went to troubleshooting on the vid card and turned performance down a knock. The man effect this had is instead of the long hanging disconnect, it went to a instant dump to desktop around the 4 minute mark.

One thing of note... if I log in during the early afternoon hours I seem to stay on a bit longer here and there. Actually managed a 35 minute spurt once. 8)

Direct connection to the cable modem didn't seem to have any change. Just to make sure though I forwarded all ports for AO on the router to my IP.

Windows firewall service is completely disabled. Trend Micro's Firewall is completely disable, but also setup to pass the AO ports just to cover all the bases. I've completely uninstalled Trend Micro and tried with no change.

Cleaned the reg after all this one more time. Ran Adware and Spybot and Trend and system is completely clean.

Changed AGP Aperture settings from 256 to 128 with no change.

Turned of AGP Fast Writes, no change.

For most of these tests I had nothing running in the background save the basic windows services.

Nothing is overclocked on my system.

I even installed AO on my IDE drive instead of my SATA drive. Didn't have any changes disconnect wise.

Client lifetime: 00:04:28
    Errors: [TcpHandler_t::handle_input] 216.74.158.81:7501 closed by peer: 121 = unknown error: 121 => [Client] Event 'lost connection'

In every single disconnect, thats what the report shows.

Can anyone think of anything else I should/can try?
    Last edited by Datawight; Jul 30th, 2004 at 03:43:22.

i can't be logged on more than 5min with this new patch 15.5.6

Has any1 got any solutions?
    I believe it is due to bad DL on the new patch.

I redownloaded the 15.5.6 off AO site and i cant reinstall cuz it says im already up to date.

And "no" i do not have overclocked system RAM.
    And "no" i am not using WINME.
    Last edited by **aC!Dr3igN**; Jul 30th, 2004 at 05:20:27.
    PayPal Rep:Have you recently left town?
    Myself:No I haven't
    PayPal Rep:Ok...have you recently left the country then?
    Myself:How can I leave the country if I never even left town???

/tell Acidreign
    RK2 Rimor

At a loss.. 8(

Sorry for the formatting, but you should be able to read it. That is a report from a program that did 2 pings and took the average and ran 1 tracert every minute for 51 and 46 minutes to the AO server. Average total ping is 44 for all 46 tests. Tracert tolerance was if over 100 report a failure, and it never did. Sure looks good to me, but just finished getting dumped in 4m, 12m, 5m, 3m, 4m with 3 different characters after that test.

I ran all the DXDiag test and all passed just fine. I can't find one common thread in any of this save the spurt of 8 or so empty packets from the AO server right before I start the disconnect.

At this point I don't know what else I can do other then close the account and move on. 8(

Check Label Type of Check Last Status SLA # UP # DOWN Last UP Check Last DOWN Check Last Value Error Info Remarks
    PINGAVG PINGAVG OK 100 % 46 0 Fri Jul 30 10:50:23 2004 44
    TRACERTAO TRACERT 100 % 51 0 Fri Jul 30 10:51:13 2004
    Last edited by Datawight; Jul 30th, 2004 at 17:05:21.

Have you tried sending the Files of these empty packets to FunCom thru one of their Email addies?

Ive never ripped open a packet, so I wouldnt even know whats inside them, but Im assuming a Time stamp and some other critical info then the data that were supposed to use in the game?

Seems to me this would point toward failing hardware on funComs end.

It would prolley have been wise to have detailed each one of your posts and checks in your own thread, as to make sure that if they 'actually' red the whole thread, they didnt confuse you with anyone else and hopefully looked at your problem from a different perspective.

Question:
    If there was a problem on my computer like failing hardware/Virus connected to my networking system and it sends out packets to another Computer in almost an Attack mode, will that computer send back these empty packets to try and shut me down?

Some additional thoughts and response to Greybear

Greybear,

When I first posted this it was mainly because I was frustrated. Given a little time I can usually fix my own issues. I don't have a IT background really, but I have been a tech in manufacturing and I'm what you would call a computer enthusiast. Been into the online gaming scene since way back in the MechWarrior 2 days and you tend to pick things up along the way. Figured I'd just do a little helpful? venting and see if anyone had a suggestions. Didn't think to post in a new post seeing as how I'm not the only one having disconnect issues.

First something things I forgot to mention, recaps, and some other thoughts.

Like I stated earlier, if I stay in one spot I can stay connected for up to 35 minutes or so. If I move around at all it's usually 4 minutes to a drop. Chat server stays connected till the client goes dead. So I'm still sending and receiving packets from the chat server with no issue, even if the game server has already dropped me. I may not be able to sit or cast, but I can still chat just fine. You get the point.

Also I can connect to the server instantly after I get disconnected. Most the time I have the option to log into the same character because the server still sees it as being logged in. Sometimes I do, some times I wait for that to clear. Either way nets the same result.

Now one of the reasons I stated it seems like the server is having issues keeping track of my toon is because during the standing still and waiting for the disconnect, I've logged back in and been halfway or all the way across the zone. While I can understand this happening if I'm moving, I just can't see why that would happen if I'm standing still.

As for the empty packets, its hard to say if its the server or what. Any device between me and them could strip them theoretically, but if it was something along the route you'd usually see it crop up sooner or later in a tracert as a bad hop. Not seeing anything along those lines.

The first day I came back I spent 3.4 hours in game checking my bank packs, watching the trade chat, and flying around. Not one single disconnect. Logged out, went to sleep, and came back in later that day. That's when I started getting disconnects. The difference? 15.5.5 patch went live while I slept. (I work nights and have a very funky schedule, yes.)

I've spent alot of time on this, I even went so far as to borrow a time domain reflectometer and tested all the lines in the house. I think I can safely say there's nothing on my end I can do to "fix" my disconnects.

I have bundled this all up and will email it out to support this weekend, but don't have much hopes of getting a response to it any time soon seeing as how the community is on leave and focusing on the expansion for the next 3 weeks.

I guess from my point of view I'd be making sure to get all the issues from the last patch fixed before rolling out a complete new expansion with its own set of issues.

They did recognize there was a disconnect issue after the patch and put a login note up on it for 2 days. I haven't seen anything further about it being resolved though, so I assume its still an open ticket Expansion means more $$ though.. sooo..

That leaves me hanging with a game I can't play, and a expansion I won't be buying. *Man, I want to preorder and get my Lewt Leet!!*, but can't justify doing so if I can't play the game as it is. I'm not going to drop the money on the expansion with the hopes the my issue will clear up with it. I'm not much of a betting man...

As for your question, I wouldn't think so. Then again who knows, there may be malicious software out there that does just that. All I can account for is everything in my household, and its all as clean as I can get it using Adware, Spybot, Trend Micro, and McAfee.

Thanks for responding Greybear. I don't see this being resolved any time soon and I've spent more time then I should on troubleshooting it.

kk, just hated to see anyone leave and mad at FunCom if it wasnt really their end. Especially if they actually liked the game. (SW:G I left mad but didnt like the game much either)

Id posted on a few other threads about disco's and I hadnt been seeing them, then shortly after it started with me also.

During my disco's I was able to capture several tracert that showed SAVVIS (backbone to FunCom) was and is having issues. High ping spikes and even timeouts. Attributed my problems to them. In a couple of tracert, the timeouts actually happened at the last hop, FunComs.

So, I wanted to make sure all angles were being covered.

Im like you tho, I feel there is some hardware issues at the GameServers cuasing these patchet losses and disco's.

As youve noted and I have same problem. Game Spikes and disco's and Im able to continue chatting right up till Im on the desktop. As for the 'forgetting where I am' I havent ended up across a Zone, but I have on more than 6 times ended up right where I came into the zone from minutes to almost half an hour earlier. I assumed this was considered by the server as a 'SAFE SPOT' or it remember that as my entry point.

And yeah on the 2 days 'Were sorry for the resent disconnections.....' message. It disappeared and here we are almost a week after it disapeared with no information. I posted that on another Forum and people felt it was because FunCom believes it is Internet Connectivity issues and out of their control. (bah)

Something you might also try, a different server. I play on RK2, if you play on RK1 then try the TestServer(use the Tesserver copier program or youll bork your AO) If RK1 and RK2 are both experiencing this then its either in programming or in thru the Login server. Not sure if Test uses the same Login server.
    Last edited by GreyBear; Jul 31st, 2004 at 10:02:03.