Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ted.com - something smart to listen to while you play

ted.com - something smart to listen to while you play

has anyone been to ted.com?
    it stands for technology ,entertainment and design

its an annual conference with some great speakers, leading minds in their fields of study

like everything, some of it is questionable, but most of it is gold. Even if you disagree with an opinion here and there its mentally stimulating

i just watched "bonnie bassler on how bacteria communicate"
    http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/b...mmunicate.html

I don't really agree with the idea of altering the helpful bacteria in our body do their jobs better, I think they are doing a great job keeping me alive. I'm worried about the repercussions of it but its exciting to hear about.

what do you think

Fight local warming!
    Last edited by Keldros; Apr 12th, 2009 at 21:23:25.

Quote Originally Posted by Keldros View Post
    that was pretty funny

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbacrush View Post
    Or this?

Seriously, listening to that woman was like listening to this song. I learned what she was teaching back in middle school. :/ Why is there a seminar over this?

neg rep

horrible

Or this?

Seriously, listening to that woman was like listening to this song. I learned what she was teaching back in middle school, and my teacher talked the exact same way, like there were children in the audience :/ Why is there a seminar over this?
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

The above two posts confused the hell out me! How did Ninj00 respond to a post that came AFTER his and not get an edited line at the bottom???

Did someone at the TED conference give a lecture on time dilation?

EDIT: After watching a few I really enjoyed this one from philosopher/comedian Emily Levine from back in 2002.
    Last edited by Amosco; Apr 13th, 2009 at 03:16:21.
    Amosco -- Brokest Trader on RK2
    Coope -- His bot is his best friend

Originally posted by Dark Kensai
    Promising the stars and then hitting the customer with a bat so that they see stars is not the same thing.

Originally Posted by sobeguy
    If you really want this chair, why not just get a phalloplasty and address your real concern?

Become a Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Amosco View Post
    The above two posts confused the hell out me! How did Ninj00 respond to a post that came AFTER his and not get an edited line at the bottom???

Did someone at the TED conference give a lecture on time dilation?
    Instead of edit the post to add in the difference between quote and post he deleted his previous post and reposted it.
    Enter the Information Age
    Proc Descriptions

Hunt, and be hunted: The Hunting Grounds | Alien Tower Field :Aliens, that really invade!
    Pet argo management: Servants Protection | Expand the Notum Silo :Make it worthwhile

Rimor
    Tesgri - 220|17|58 (Omni Agent)
    Leara - 220|25|62 (Omni Doctor)
    Ponygirl - 220|25|56 (Omni Bureaucrat)
    Means: "We have done way dumber things than this..."

ninj00 recommending ted?

Clearly ebayed.

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    ninj00 recommending ted?

Clearly ebayed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXV4qlg0vtg

^^ TI said it best
    Last edited by Ninj00; Apr 13th, 2009 at 07:18:34.

I learned what she was teaching back in middle school
    Not every country has a good education system I heard this as well before and I too fail to understand they need to have a seminar for grown up people using simple kiddy words

Quote Originally Posted by Nekrofiil View Post
    Not every country has a good education system I heard this as well before and I too fail to understand they need to have a seminar for grown up people using simple kiddy words
    Seriously, listening to that woman was like listening to this song. I learned what she was teaching back in middle school, and my teacher talked the exact same way, like there were children in the audience :/ Why is there a seminar over this?
    you are both arrogant and ignorant , unless you just came out of middle school a year or two ago I highly doubt that you've ever heard this.

She is a recipient of the MacArthur genius grant, if you have any idea what that is. You don't just go applying for something like that, you're hand selected for it.

Pull your head out of your rear end and you might learn something....

In 2002, bearing her microscope on a microbe that lives in the gut of fish, Bonnie Bassler isolated an elusive molecule called AI-2, and uncovered the mechanism behind mysterious behavior called quorum sensing -- or bacterial communication. She showed that bacterial chatter is hardly exceptional or anomolous behavior, as was once thought -- and in fact, most bacteria do it, and most do it all the time. (She calls the signaling molecules "bacterial Esperanto.")

The discovery shows how cell populations use chemical powwows to stage attacks, evade immune systems and forge slimy defenses called biofilms. For that, she's won a MacArthur "genius" grant -- and is giving new hope to frustrated pharmacos seeking new weapons against drug-resistant superbugs.

Bassler teaches molecular biology at Princeton, where she continues her years-long study of V. harveyi, one such social microbe that is mainly responsible for glow-in-the-dark sushi. She also teaches aerobics at the YMCA.

"She's really the one who's shown that this is something that all these bacteria are doing all the time. And if we want to understand them, we have to understand quorum sensing."

Ned Wingreen, Princeton, on Nova ScienceNOW

another interesting talk

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/h...re_robots.html

now before you go claiming " Oh yeah ive heard about that, BOORRRING ! thats just like X or Z "

try to realize most of what you've 'heard of' stems from these people, they are the ones doing the actual work and research developing this stuff, rather than fantasizing about them.

Most people have heard about 'smart robots' and 'nano technology ' by now , but when was the last time you saw a video of a robot teaching itself to walk? This isn't the tokyo game show where articulate robots are carrying out a complicated set of instructions, they are developing their own set of rules and learning how to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninj00 View Post
    you are both arrogant and ignorant , unless you just came out of middle school a year or two ago I highly doubt that you've ever heard this.

She is a recipient of the MacArthur genius grant, if you have any idea what that is. You don't just go applying for something like that, you're hand selected for it.

Pull your head out of your rear end and you might learn something....
    Buahahaha.
    Anyway. Kettle? Meet Pot. Pot? Meet Kettle. He's arrogant too, and ignorant.
    Welcome to the intarnet, where everyone is smart and self righteous.

Relax, you're not proving anything other than smart people get cool stuff and can still talk babytalk to full grown adults. Whatever, more power to her. Are you offended? And yeah, literally.. learned in school. That sorta thing happens when you actually listen to what people are actually saying. So doubt all you like, but keep preaching that ignorance thing, i know its all the rage these days with forum trolling and whatnot.

I guess they didn't teach smart people, that not everyone agrees. Sheesh, kids these days, I tell ya. Common sense aint all that common anymore.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Relax, you're not proving anything other than smart people get cool stuff and can still talk babytalk to full grown adults. Whatever, more power to her. Are you offended? And yeah, literally.. learned in school. That sorta thing happens when you actually listen to what people are actually saying.
    find me the book you read that in or were taught from ,

the research didnt exist prior to 2002-2004

nobody knew bacteria worked that way, its insane for you to claim that you knew that......

Specifically I meant that I knew about bacteria being able to communicate. As for the coordinated attacks and strategy, that part just seems to exist in nature as it sits. Ants do the same thing.. Someone wants to say they 'discovered it' around 2002 or 3, and put some nice shiny new latin terminology on it, well.. thats the prerogative of smart people. Another way to describe it is Cell Signalling.

according to this bit here:

Quothe: The existence of species-specific and interspecies bacterial cell-cell communication and group organization was only recently accepted.

It was known long before that microbes of many different types behaved similarly, like when two heart cells pump together when they touch. That was the first step in it all, and that was discovered how long ago? Its just that only now, people are starting to get the right words to describe the behaviour in its entirety. I guess im happy that someone had to finally take this long to make it all official and stuff.

and in this corner we have:

in which states: A decade after microbiologists began to suspect that many groups of bacteria can communicate -- by releasing and detecting chemical pheromones

A decade, you say?

And now:

In which describe 'other' ways bacteria communicate, which was observed long before the research that you've posted.

Quorum Sensing, on Wikipedia.
    And here is some brief history.

But what do I know? I'm just a gamer. *shrug*
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

they suspected it , she found the evidence

you trolled me , and wikipediaed it

gg

they suspected it , she found the evidence

you trolled me , and wikipediaed it

gg
    *laugh*
    However you wanna tell it, man...
    Last edited by Bubbacrush; Apr 15th, 2009 at 05:33:19.
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Don't see anything wrong with bringing out a wikipedia article after showing other sources.
    It's definitely not as bad as an argument that I had once with another person about growled vocals in metal. He doesn't even listen to that music, so he just copy pasted all of his points on a relative subject from Wikipedia, and always thought he was so right. He got pissed at me because I posted a link to wikipedia simply to define avant-garde (last I checked, there aren't a number of different definitions for it). Weird huh.

TI is in jail now. sad day!

I have the TED app on the first page of my iPhonez. I usually end up watching just about every video posted. It's usually pretty good stuff--cool to see it going more mainstream now, too. ^^

Prouver que j'ai raison serait accorder que je puisse avoir tort.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterva View Post
    TI is in jail now. sad day!

I have the TED app on the first page of my iPhonez. I usually end up watching just about every video posted. It's usually pretty good stuff--cool to see it going more mainstream now, too. ^^
    yeah Ive noticed maybe 1/5 talks falls flat but most are pretty good, they are definitely going more mainstream and less technical, which is good . Spread the knowledge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast