Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nano range cap?!?!

nano range cap?!?!

I know that a thread like this was going awhile ago, but the nano range cap question was never really specified, I know that I can cast further with my NT then agents can AS, I can sometimes not even see the mobs im nuking on my screen. I do know that size(as mentioned in the last nano range cap thread) does not have nothing to do with range, since its only a prefrence of avatar size.

in the last thread 40m was said to be the max weapon range, but with nano range, for example 20m's range for VE, plus the 150% from the deck range inc., and 104% from Notum Overload 20*254%=50.8m. like i said, I can hit a agent with VE/Kels while the agent cant hit me with his weapon, this is with me casting the nano directly on the agent, and not including the extra range from the AOE effect.

any idea's on this, I would assume that it is capped, but at what degree is it capped at?

Nanos are also capped at 40M, it would be nice if they would increase it to 50 however with all of the new ways to do so. From what I've read, AO is built on 40 meter squares, and going beyond 40 isn't possible if even they removed the cap ..? Doesn't sound right but thats how I remember it being explained.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    We wouldn't make the nano in the first place if we didn't feel that it would be useful and at the very least a decent addition to any given professions nano listing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abalz
    LOL

im also interested in confirmation/further explanation ... *bump*

No Atrox Allowed!
    Straes ::::::: 220/30 NT?! :::::::::::: saving the day 24/7. YOU'RE WELCOME!
    Slugjunkie :: 150/20 Ex-Pistol Solja :: gimpin' > pimpin'
    stray alts ::: eng, agt, cra, nt, doc
    <3 R.I.P. Omni Infantry <3

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkstaah
    Trader alpha: Landing any nano then taking as long as you possibly want and/or feel like to kill people with regulars.

Confirmation? Nanos are capped at 40 meters and there's some trouble with things with a high head-area having to be closer to you than for a weapon user.

It's been tested lots of times by players in the game and its' working exactly the way that's described above.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Masta, I only know that for a mob - the calc point for weapons is in the torso, and for nanos in the head.

What is it for players? And where is the range calculated from on the caster's end (from the hands?)..?
    We wouldn't make the nano in the first place if we didn't feel that it would be useful and at the very least a decent addition to any given professions nano listing.
    LOL

ok, a 40m blocks make's since, however on another note, periodically when im kiting, I pull a mob that has some sort of ranged attack, and even though he is out of my 40m cap distance, he still hits me, I usually dont walk off from these types of mobs. example would be the Hollows warden, and The Hollows Ranger just NE of the pipe statue in pen. they ten to run slower then the other mobs IE... White Dryads, and the water demons. and I can hit the general mob's, but not the ranger/warden, and they seem to have no problem halfing my life, and then droping me in just a couple of hits.

This this sums it up:

http://www.anarchy-online.com/conten...rticles/1580L/

But the problem is, why the hell can a load of mobs exceed that when "supposidly" they are capped just like us?

*sobs about the good old days of having kickass range*

Thing is though, as the comment say there...we were to get rebalanced for our range being removed since it was a major part of what we were....urmm? anyhow?
    Last edited by Nyadach; Jul 10th, 2006 at 08:26:20.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

That last paragraph is pretty funny.. Thanks.
    LOL

uhmm deck nano range incresser dont add 150 % it adds 150 nanometers or sometyinhg like that ( a ****ifyed range ) so getting to 40 M with all nanos isent that easy as it looks some one should test this =) find 40 rang and then 30 M range with out the deck item and then remove alle range adds and then use only deck ql 200 to find out what it really adds in range =)

and ummm 250% to a nano with 20 M itsent that calcuated 20 + 20x2,5 your addsing 250 % to the original range right ?? so 50.8 + 20 = 70,8 range ... at least if your going on the assumption that the orginal 20 meters range is 100 % of the normal range
    Last edited by Lionhard; Jul 10th, 2006 at 13:53:44.

heh, that explination is cool.

and as for the range inc, it's hard to tell what the range difference is, without having some sort of marker for a meter, or 40m's. it's quiet possible that you get more range just from lvling, maybe trickle down or something, and after that your 20m nano is no longer 20m but maybe 21, or 22m. unless there is some comformation that there is no trickle down for range associated with leveling.

the reason why I mention this, is that there is 'invisible' ability's in many game's, such as our pvp point system, or for those of you that are old school with Diablo 2 players, there was so many 'invisible' ability's in Diablo 2 it wasnt funny. but other then the pvp points is there these 'invisible' ability's hiding in AO?

Quote Originally Posted by lordain
    heh, that explination is cool.

and as for the range inc, it's hard to tell what the range difference is, without having some sort of marker for a meter, or 40m's. it's quiet possible that you get more range just from lvling, maybe trickle down or something, and after that your 20m nano is no longer 20m but maybe 21, or 22m. unless there is some comformation that there is no trickle down for range associated with leveling.

the reason why I mention this, is that there is 'invisible' ability's in many game's, such as our pvp point system, or for those of you that are old school with Diablo 2 players, there was so many 'invisible' ability's in Diablo 2 it wasnt funny. but other then the pvp points is there these 'invisible' ability's hiding in AO?
    No, leveling or trickle down has no effect on nano range, or damage.. Its all in the buffs/mod items.. to find ranges - use F-9 and the positioning system, those are in game meters I think.. just try to find flat ground so the Z coord doesn't mess with your X/Y plane
    LOL

would be cool if they offered a table of sort's, that says the max range you are able to hit with each nano.

as for the coord's, I never thought of it being set in meters, I will have to try it out sometime.

btw, that explanation still doesnt clear up why i can hit a mob with 36m weapon range but is still out of nanorange (which is capped ofc)
    And so far i think i wont evah get a answer on this. And no i cant be claimed this is cuz of the different points fo the body where the range is calculated at, cuz its tested it at a friggin leet and a rollerrat ... and they arent bigger than 4m ...

edit typo
    Last edited by ArtemisV; Jul 11th, 2006 at 17:26:04.
    U have to enjoy the fight to be really good.
    Devil Artemisv Hellcaster (retired)
    Warconfig
    usual PVMConfig
    Nosferatu Erinyes Alucard
    Devil Zyankali Advocate
    Yamaeda: Three Cyberdecks for the Opifex-kings under the sky, Seven for the Atrox-lords in their halls of notum, Nine for Nanomage doomed to die, One for the Dark Lady on her dark throne In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live. One Cyberdeck to rule them all, One Deck to find them, One Deck to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live.

"GM Santaki: If you are worried about being banned you should email support and explain that you are not involved in any exploiting. "

Basically you could nuke the hell out of a MOB and it would never know where to find you and just sit there and die. Maybe they will rework AO and give us a skill based game with out the hardcaps and level locks although in theory it is really level based while being skill based at the same time. At least they did not make it like EQII where at level x you do y amount of damage with good weapons or do z amount of damage with weapons you buy offa ebay.
    Peace $ Love, Inc. - Since April 2002

Quote Originally Posted by ArtemisV
    btw, that explanation still doesnt clear up why i can hit a mob with 36m weapon range but is still out of nanorange (which is capped ofc)
    And so far i think i wont evah get a answer on this. And no i cant be claimed this is cuz of the different points fo the body where the range is calculated at, cuz i tested it at a friggin leet and a rollerrat ... and they arent bigger than 4m ...
    Think of a triangle.. imagine one point at the beast's head, a lower point at his torso, then the third at yourself.. The longest leg of the triangle is the line from the beasts head to your hands.. This is 40 meters. That makes the line from your hands to the beast's torso only 35ish meters (depending on the other leg of the triangle of course).. So you are nano'ing 40 meters.. but since the reference point is to the mob's head.. it makes weapons able to stand "closer" when you actually feel they are going beyond 40 meters.

Edit: If on a rollrat, if you can prove a ranged weapon will out range your nanos - I'd be impressed
    Last edited by Abalz; Jul 11th, 2006 at 02:40:14.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Nyadach
    But the problem is, why the hell can a load of mobs exceed that when "supposidly" they are capped just like us?
    It's in that class of game mechanics that make you ask "WTF?"

Just like rubberbanding in penumbra/inferno--When you rubberband to a point behind the mobs that were chasing you, it's supposedly because sync problems meant the server didn't know where you were. But if that's the case, why are those mobs still running towards where the client thought you were instead of where the server says you are?

(Logically, both are deliberate anti-kiting nerfs directed at NTs, but Funcom won't admit to it.)
    Last edited by Keldros; Jul 11th, 2006 at 11:35:04.

That article was posted in 2001 - perhaps SL's squares are different.. with exceptions for outdoor mobs.
    LOL

just tested it on a rollerrat: Target in weapon range but : Target is outside range. Unable to execute nano program. You can't execute this nano on the target.
    Screenshot
    as u can see i had notum Overload running so my nanorange with resonance blast was 40m. Also the rat was rooted to make sure it doesnt move.
    same result on Monolith Blubbag
    same result on Bio-X44 Fugitive
    U have to enjoy the fight to be really good.
    Devil Artemisv Hellcaster (retired)
    Warconfig
    usual PVMConfig
    Nosferatu Erinyes Alucard
    Devil Zyankali Advocate
    Yamaeda: Three Cyberdecks for the Opifex-kings under the sky, Seven for the Atrox-lords in their halls of notum, Nine for Nanomage doomed to die, One for the Dark Lady on her dark throne In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live. One Cyberdeck to rule them all, One Deck to find them, One Deck to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live.

"GM Santaki: If you are worried about being banned you should email support and explain that you are not involved in any exploiting. "

Yeah, it is bloody silly when (ok I still have a shedload of rifle skills from the old days of rifle/NTing) I can't hit something with a nano, but I am perfectly able to hit it with a rifle. If the mechanics are set to be the same for nanos, weapons and mobs as well. Why the hell can a gun exceed the range of a nano when its buffed up to the max which would well exceed 40m with said buffs. And why the heck can (ok in SL so there could be a large change in the game mechanics from what was posted in that very old dev comment about how range works in game) well exceed us by a massive amount.

Does bug me a lot also how we seem also to suffer more from line of sight issues from lumpy ground. Ok this also goes back to the days when we used to be able to shoot through doors and walls etc. But it doesn't seem to effect weapon users anywhere near as much as us. Have to wonder how utterly different our mechanics are to everything else.
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

Art: Was that with any old rifle so I could try also? Where does it say you are attacking the rat and still in range with the weapon, hitting or missing him?

I never tested it, only went off the description of Mastablasta
    LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast