Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breed Selection for NT's

Breed Selection for NT's

Breed Choices For Nano Technicicans

I have noticed recently that there have been questions about breed so I decided to make a little thread that details the different aspects of them.

Summary

At this point it seems to be pretty standard that most NT’s agree that Solitus is the best choice for an nt due to their overall balance of factors. The additional health afforded by an Atrox isn’t of much benefit to us as we don’t have defenses that allow for a maximum HP setup to be useful for an nt endgame. Nanomages are also not a great choice due to the fact that endgame nano pool is of very little use as we rarely if ever see our pools in trouble. Opifex has some promise as a breed as well, their HP is on par with a solitus and their bonuses to evades make them a possibility as well due to most endgame NT setups being evade based.

Overall Differences Statwise

Body Dev

This stat is based on your breed choice so this will effect the amount of HP your toon ends up with

Atrox – 4 points of HP per point in Body Dev
    Solitus – 3 points of HP per Point in Body Dev
    Opifex – 3 points of HP per Point in Body Dev
    Nanomage – 2 points of HP per point in Body Dev

Nano Pool

Nanomage – 4 point of Nano per point in Nano Pool
    Solitus – 3 point of Nano per point in Nano Pool
    Opifex – 3 points of Nano per point in Nano Pool
    Atrox – 2 points of Nano per point in Nano Pool

The end result of this is that if we use a Nanomage as the base, Solitus and Opifex’s will end up with about 1k more HP endgame and 1k less Nano. Atroxs will end up with about 2k more health and 2k less nano with all setups being equal.

Breed Ability Caps

The different breeds will cap their abilities at different levels. You can find the endgame stats here.

The main difference here is that Nanomages will end up with slightly higher nano skills by about 30 points, Opifexs will end up with slightly higher evades and Troxes will end up with slightly more health. The specifics of all this can be shown by shift right clicking any skill and seeing what base stats feed into it on your skill window by pressing U ingame.

Shadowlands

Shadowbreeds will be different depending on which breed you choose. Shadowbreeds, while not a major issue in breed selection are good pieces of information for you to have to complete the picture of the what they are and do, there are several and they are based on how many you have uploaded and what breed and faction you are. You can find more info here.

Alien Invasion

Alien invasion allowed for some specific benefits to breed based on perk selection. The Genome Perks can be found and studied on Auno.org under the perk selection menu. Couple of things to keep in mind here.

Solitus get a nice heal and root resist special.

Nanomages get a “mana shield” type special however it is currently not very useful because of its interaction with other shields in the game that are more useful, its duration of effect and possibly being bugged.

Atroxes have a special called Mongo Rage that increases your attack skill temporarily. This has no effect for NT’s as our attack rating is always zero due to the cyberdeck that we use having a zero attack rating. If you are considering using a weapon, this may be something to consider.

Please feel free to add to this and I will edit the main part, you can send me a message or just post here. Any info from a pvp perspective would be great to have. Dunno if a level based section would be interesting too or not.
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Jul 11th, 2006 at 13:09:25.
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2
    Contagion 220 Clan Doc RK2

Proud wielder of the Pitchfork of Satenia

Level ranges and Twinking

Low Levels (1-150)

Nanomages will have an advantage in this area due to the large amount of items that can only be used by nanomages that are helpful in getting into better non level locked nukes. These include:

Mid Levels (150-200)

The playing field begins to even out a little more here with the breeds being forced into more level locked nano's and there not being much option. The lack of HP becomes more of a disadvatage in pvm, while not gaining much from the abundance of skills (something easily fixable if MC was used as our AR but thats not for this thread ).

Endgame (200-220)

Both HP and high skill setups become less useful here because
    • Nanos are still level locked
    • We rarely draw aggro in a team setting to warrant extra hp
    • If we do draw aggro we can't survive long and an extra 1k of hp won't change that as most inf mobs hit for more than that in a single hit

Solitus begins to get more of an advantage here because of the versatility in skills allowing for more options and a far easier time getting the higher ql symbs in.

PVP

Although this is definately not my area of expertise, I have heard that low HP setups are what people are using for the most part here, this is using the pvp damage caps to the advantage of the pvp'r to utilize things like our abosobtion shields to their fullest extent. I would imagine in this case that nanomage would be the most useful breed although any additional information people can provide as it relates to breed and pvp would be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventshadow
    Nm: Only advantage is more absorn from nanobot defence. Harder time with symbs/less evades/harder getting 2 sec healdelta though- basicly wouldnt go there.

Soli: Servival for nice heal specially for pvp, tacky hack for root immunity (delivers when called/when dueling somebody with root grafts), and if you are omni SB which means a garanteed death for ma that othervise will lought at your toolset. Can add best evades exept for opi, easiest time with symbs (can equip 250 brain without perk resets on my nt), best nanoskills exept for nm. Overoll alot better then any other breed for nt.

Trox: Easiest time getting 2 sec healdelta, and +300 dodge special from genome perks. Though also highest cost for absorb from nanobot defence.

Opi: Basicly worst breed for nt. Hardest time of all getting 2 sec healdelta (will have to sucrifice equip to get it), no useful genome perks (nanoskill debuff would be but with AR as attack skill nt cant use it), worst nanoskills then nm/soli, and only slight advantage in evades compared to soli. Basicly just dont go there.
    Last edited by Steveo; Aug 12th, 2006 at 06:33:02.
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2

Hmm...

While your post is helpful, i also think it's biased.
    At this point it seems to be pretty standard that most NT’s agree that Solitus is the best choice for an nt due to their overall balance of factors.
    I soooooo feel i'm gonna get bashed/flamed for saying this...

If that's a guide, why are you suggesting the breed? Shouldn't it be "here're the pros and cons and you decide"?
    You only name Soli's good sides, while saying what's bad about other breeds.

Now my opinion on what was written.
    I'm a Nanomage NT and i'd never ever change my breed to Solitus, not ever.
    Maybe it's because i'm not right in the head and think I should be able to cast my nanos without outside help.
    Being a Nanomage, I actually won't be forced to ask an MP for CM to cast Izgimmer's Ultimatum.
    As for nano pool, ok, I might hardly see it moving, but a couple days of perk restet to turn me into PVP oriented toon and i'll be able to wreak havock, and see my nanopool moving.
    Maybe I don't have that much health, but you yourself said, that it's not important endgame?
    Same goes to Evades.
    Oh, and two words: De'Valos Sleeves.
    Sure, they might not be as good as alien armor, but they sure are awseome anyway!
    Avada "Nukealeet" Kedavra
    220 NT. Nanomage fan!
    Proud Board Member of Black Bands

PvP Setup | PvM Setup | Picture | Drawing
    Alts: Medical "Antibioleet" Drama (220 Nano Pistol Doc), Idontcast "Sirhumphrey" CI (215 Soli Bow Crat), Cruciatus "Pewpewaleet" Curse (157 Soli Assrifle Solja)
    Twinks, more or less: Voodoo "Babynukey" Nub (170 Nano NT), Illegal "Loethleet" Animagus (161 Soli Melee Adv), Blastended "Umbraleet" Skrewt (150 Nano Trader)

Insert lots of "first" and "only" here.

---------------------
    People don't quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing.
    ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894)

Opi primary genome perk 10 is a small dot and a -400 init debuff. Opi secondary genome gets a blind+5% nanoskill debuff quite early on, perk 3, end perk is a DD perk. Opi gets lower Psy cap & Sta cap so a bit less in MC + maybe some symb issues, but more trickledown into inits. Omni SB seems entirely useless to NTs ( crit buffs ), but the clan ones have some large add def buffs. Meh, dunno, are there any really useful SBs for NTs anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by Loethlin
    Hmm...

While your post is helpful, i also think it's biased.

I soooooo feel i'm gonna get bashed/flamed for saying this...

If that's a guide, why are you suggesting the breed? Shouldn't it be "here're the pros and cons and you decide"?
    You only name Soli's good sides, while saying what's bad about other breeds.
    This isn't really a guide, just a gathering of info and current opinion, I dunno what you'd call that.

Soli's don't really have a bad side imparticular to talk about, they don't excel anywhere or fall short really. They are average, but for nt's they seem to work well, I thought I kinda leaned a little toward opi for my personal view.

Maybe it's because i'm not right in the head and think I should be able to cast my nanos without outside help.
    Being a Nanomage, I actually won't be forced to ask an MP for CM to cast Izgimmer's Ultimatum.
    As for nano pool, ok, I might hardly see it moving, but a couple days of perk restet to turn me into PVP oriented toon and i'll be able to wreak havock, and see my nanopool moving.
    Maybe I don't have that much health, but you yourself said, that it's not important endgame?
    Same goes to Evades.
    Oh, and two words: De'Valos Sleeves.
    Sure, they might not be as good as alien armor, but they sure are awseome anyway!
    Most Soli's probably don't need an mp to cast their higher nano's either, remember the endgame difference in skills for the two breeds is like 30 points.

Devalos is definately a good point, I was thinking about making an items section to talk about it but people can also use officers etc.

In the end, the reality of breed is that its not a game killer either way, people put more emphasis on it than they need to. However, if people want to know some more info as it relates to nt's I wanted to make something they could look at.
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2

(this is er biased as i have 2 nanomages
    i think its intresting issue you raised Steveo , so ill add my Musings

iThink any breed is perfectly good choice for nt
    But I think the extra intel and physic makes as well as the use of shades of lubrication makes twinking into armour such Tier, and alien armours a lot easier.

I would also say that in a lot of the lower levels nm improved nano skills are excellent. Esp. as I am not sure at level 211 ill ever reach "endgame", and many readers of these forums wont either

One of worst things about NM is some of stat req such as sense agility for NM for higher symbs and that does mean that without some serious twinking getting on 210+ sybs is going to take a bit longer

And if we wanted it easy why would we would we roll an NT?

but I would always say that when it comes to breeds its more important to think what appeals to you more, , I just like being bald with grey skin I suppose
    Vipsania Nanomage Trader 220/19 RK2
    Veteran of Bug Busters

Well, there's the thing with me with gimp equip being able to self IU at around 216 pre-AI you don't ever need mochams to cast your nanos as NT with any decent equipment at higher than 120ish. Pool is the same once you're high level. Doesn't matter.

To complete the guide though, I'd put in that nanomages are the best toon for low lvl twinking, trox can be ok too, but won't be able to get as high nanoskills from the nanomage-locked equipment.
    Solitus are the better breed for high lvl play due to their flexibility in the endgame. Trox is an overall solid choice for endgame as well. Opifex and nanomage are both OK choices for endgame as well, but imo the other two have more advantages to them.

Add a little on where the breeds shine in level ranges and why and get some more feedback here and the guide'll get a place in the sticky important thread.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

I've always thought Soli was best for stats when equiping Symbiants, since you can buff Int/Psy so much now, all breeds have an advantage over NM in this case - Trox will have slightly higher Treatment from trickle too
    Quote Originally Posted by Silirrion View Post
    We wouldn't make the nano in the first place if we didn't feel that it would be useful and at the very least a decent addition to any given professions nano listing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abalz
    LOL

My first soli is a NT and all of my other chars are NM or Opi and I must say I am not having near the troubles with symbs or items as I did (level for level) with my nanomages.

Personally I feel that NM should be the king of NT since both are made of, and control, nano. Why it isn't like this I don't know but then again why are NTs not the powerhouse that the description of the profession says?

noone at high lvl got problems to cast the nanos at there lvl. Hell i can self IU with a NR perk trained. Solitus can same. Trox n opifex too.

Actually solitus gives the best stats to get symbs on and also gives decent hp. I have a 220 nanomage NT and i regret that i rolled nanomage

but still i must agree that nanomage is the better choice for low lvl cuz u can simply twink better items on (shades anyone ?) and have best nanoskills.
    U have to enjoy the fight to be really good.
    Devil Artemisv Hellcaster (retired)
    Warconfig
    usual PVMConfig
    Nosferatu Erinyes Alucard
    Devil Zyankali Advocate
    Yamaeda: Three Cyberdecks for the Opifex-kings under the sky, Seven for the Atrox-lords in their halls of notum, Nine for Nanomage doomed to die, One for the Dark Lady on her dark throne In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live. One Cyberdeck to rule them all, One Deck to find them, One Deck to bring them all and in the darkness bind them. In the Land of Inferno where the Shadows live.

"GM Santaki: If you are worried about being banned you should email support and explain that you are not involved in any exploiting. "

Added twinking and a lame pvp section. Any info from the pvp'rs would be much appreciated. Hopefully the thread is starting to come together a little more.
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2

Ok, I might've word my thoughts in a way you obviously didn't get, looking at your responses.

Endgame it's not a problem to cast the nanos, but on the way there, it is. High Int and Psych makes it easier for NM to cast them, without outside buffs. That's what I meant. I just hate being dependant on someone else and expressing my opinion.

Note to self: Not ever use exasperations in discussions, it'll make people think you really have no clue what you're talking about.

As for "how could i figure out it's a guide" thing.... It looks like one. You gave dry numbers.... Adorned with your petrsonal opinion.
    But if you say it's not a guide, only a compliation of discussions, i rest my case.
    Avada "Nukealeet" Kedavra
    220 NT. Nanomage fan!
    Proud Board Member of Black Bands

PvP Setup | PvM Setup | Picture | Drawing
    Alts: Medical "Antibioleet" Drama (220 Nano Pistol Doc), Idontcast "Sirhumphrey" CI (215 Soli Bow Crat), Cruciatus "Pewpewaleet" Curse (157 Soli Assrifle Solja)
    Twinks, more or less: Voodoo "Babynukey" Nub (170 Nano NT), Illegal "Loethleet" Animagus (161 Soli Melee Adv), Blastended "Umbraleet" Skrewt (150 Nano Trader)

Insert lots of "first" and "only" here.

---------------------
    People don't quit playing because they grow old. They grow old because they quit playing.
    ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes (1809-1894)

Ok, I might've word my thoughts in a way you obviously didn't get, looking at your responses.
    ok, I will reread it and my responses

Endgame it's not a problem to cast the nanos, but on the way there, it is. High Int and Psych makes it easier for NM to cast them, without outside buffs. That's what I meant. I just hate being dependant on someone else and expressing my opinion.
    I agree that nanomages do have a stats advatage for nanoskills and that can be seen as a benefit at lower levels. I don' t think anyone argued against you on that one, in fact I added that in there for the discussion part as well. However, people including our own resident trox said they also were able to cast their nanos without much problems and so in the latter part of the game its not much of an issue. So I guess really I would need to know what level range you are talking about not needing outside buffs for to give a better response on it.

Note to self: Not ever use exasperations in discussions, it'll make people think you really have no clue what you're talking about.
    You seemed like you knew what you were talking about to me

As for "how could i figure out it's a guide" thing.... It looks like one. You gave dry numbers.... Adorned with your petrsonal opinion.
    But if you say it's not a guide, only a compliation of discussions, i rest my case.
    I never want to be seen as telling someone what something should be or how they have to play their own character. I just wanted to have something for people to have a little info and some opinion (and not just mine) so that they could make an informed choice when picking their breed. So, thanks very much for adding your voice into it, I'm sure it will help people out to hear your side of it as well.
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2

I can't really help but answer this, but on the way to endgame there really aren't any places in the modern game where anyone will have problems casting their nanos if they know what they're doing. I'll give that at lowbie lvls, like 1-100 people are still noobie and don't really know what they're doing, but above that, there's no problem for anyone. I was there on the opposite end, before SL and AI, and it was really no problem for me to cast basic everyday nanos.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

no matter what breed you choose your gonna be a gimp fighting toe-to-toe otherwise these forums would be more interesting and less whiney.

I picked nanomage. I have 5k HP or so selfed. Its enough because if im getting hit im doing something wrong.

Stick and move is the way.

I dont mind having low HP as my setup is partially based on it. you can have 15k HP and it makes no odds as once you get hit by aimed shot or full auto you lose 40% of your HP unless they are gimped and you are an evade hero (not likely compered to AR levels at endgame).

If health is your only reason to choose another race than NM forget it. Pointless imho.
    If you want the extra evades then fairplay its easy to offset what you lose from being NM.

mastablasta can most likely tell you more about what goes on in PvP against his extra HP setup.

Oh and why do ppl wear tier armor on an NT except to look a certain way? it sucks compered to alien armor which you need to get some peices of in any setup I should think.

I plan on rolling a lowbie NT for PvP basically because i missed out on lowbie pvp with NT due to my fr00bness but I will still be going Nanomage.

btw my doc is nanomage too. flame away
    OMG I just got 14 Crits in a row!
    Wait a mo' I forgot im an NT o_0
    -----------------------------------------
    Bio of Doublezer0

I love my nanomage doc, he is teh shiz
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Steveo
    I love my nanomage doc, he is teh shiz
    So is mine but he isn't getting beaten on either if the Enforcer is doing his job and if he isn't then we are all dead anyways.

Mostly a solid review

But a few things to add.

What's the most important skill for an NT at low and medium levels? That's right, run speed. Opis get the best run speed due to being able to slide on slightly better implants earlier (treatment, agi) and run speed stat trickledown, and thus can start kiting hecks reliably a level or two earlier.

Atrox is the best choice for low hp PvP at mid levels, because the -body dev golem eye penalizes an atrox far more than other races. You could get an atrox NT down to 100 hp at 150ish, which is simply not possible with other breeds -- they'll have around 400 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by v8envy
    But a few things to add.

What's the most important skill for an NT at low and medium levels? That's right, run speed. Opis get the best run speed due to being able to slide on slightly better implants earlier (treatment, agi) and run speed stat trickledown, and thus can start kiting hecks reliably a level or two earlier.

Atrox is the best choice for low hp PvP at mid levels, because the -body dev golem eye penalizes an atrox far more than other races. You could get an atrox NT down to 100 hp at 150ish, which is simply not possible with other breeds -- they'll have around 400 hp.
    If all you want to do is be a random heck kiter noob, then sure. Even then, opi is generally a bad choice. The trickledown is negligable at best and the higher implants you can get in from a few points of agility won't matter much, as you'll need to wait for 120+ to get ql200 in anyway unless you want to do some rather absurd amounts of twinking for a lvling toon. Especially seeing as how it's not really needed on an NT where more skill doesn't add to dmg.
    The Red Brotherhood

Quote Originally Posted by Mastablasta
    If all you want to do is be a random heck kiter noob, then sure. Even then, opi is generally a bad choice. The trickledown is negligable at best and the higher implants you can get in from a few points of agility won't matter much, as you'll need to wait for 120+ to get ql200 in anyway unless you want to do some rather absurd amounts of twinking for a lvling toon. Especially seeing as how it's not really needed on an NT where more skill doesn't add to dmg.
    Agi seems to help with fumble percentages as well. At any rate, that's why I said 'a level or two earlier' Whether that equates to 'best' is a judgement call of the player.

And getting 200s on at 110 hardly takes absurd amounts of twinking. By then you've already reset the nano regen perks, and are probably starting to think about resetting nanopool. Even a basic twink bag with a treatment library, rifle, biomech boots, hat and cloak, eye/head/hand treatment implants of various QLs and SFA is enough to get you into 200s for all implants except head (and maybe eye). QL200 wrists & leg are an absolute no brainer, even earlier. Eye/head at a lower QL is no big deal, since as you pointed out the MC skill is only used to determine whether you'll be nuking with VE or Kel's at that level.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast