Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: An idea - The Ultimate Grind (tm).

Best idea in a long time!

I actually really quite like this idea. I've not been 220 long enough to get bored yet though I can see why some people might reset for new content (totw, s10, etc), to get back their IPRs (yes, let them go back to w/e the max is), or just to play as a new prof/breed without having to refarm everything.

I liked the suggestion someone earlier made of dumping all of the Exp/SK you've gained in your last 220 levels into the global research pool. Otherwise it sort of invalidates all of the work you did before.

Another question related to research, what happens to the char with all his LE lines maxed? It would hurt a LOT to reset all of those. Maxing all of them is almost as bad as dinging 220 the first time. However endgame research would be very overpowered at lvl1.

I agree it definitely needs to be limited to 220 and in no way should it add anything that makes people feel they 'have to' be rebirthed.

Somewhere it said about joining the other faction, this is a great idea as I know of many 200+ neutrals who want to go omni/clan for the benefits there. I don't think this would break and organisation as you said earlier since if you wanted to leave your org, it's not your level that's forcing you to say there.

Now my suggestion: Special Titles for reborn chars, maybe Reborn Forek, or a different colour name, blue or something else not red (used in BS)

Anyway, I this suggestion deserveds a big BUMP
    Main
    Forek 220/30

Alts
    Dreadoc 220/27
    Mellifluous 220/27
    Forefix 178/18

Quote Originally Posted by Forek View Post
    I liked the suggestion someone earlier made of dumping all of the Exp/SK you've gained in your last 220 levels into the global research pool. Otherwise it sort of invalidates all of the work you did before.
    Well, it doesn't really invalidate all of your earlier work. One of the ideas was that you'd get your exp/SK faster than the rest, but if you dump everything in research, you'd have to exp/SK just as slow as the rest. Not to mention that you get to keep all your phats.

Another question related to research, what happens to the char with all his LE lines maxed? It would hurt a LOT to reset all of those.
    Well, I guess it could either work the way AXP was suggested to work (which is you get your levels as they are supposed to come since you have all the AXP done already), or then that could be reset. It'd give you more to think about when you think about rebirthing. Just that I think that someone with full researches isn't likely a player who doesn't like playing his character anymore. But, as one would probably see, in the edited bit I already had said earlier that LE research would prolly be fine working the same way AXP is suggested to work.

Now my suggestion: Special Titles for reborn chars, maybe Reborn Forek, or a different colour name, blue or something else not red (used in BS)
    New colors are suggested in the initial suggestion, already, I double checked. But the title idea is fun. Maybe I'll add it too to the end of it.

ANd yes, this was also a babump! Right now this would actually give me a reason to resume playing the game, too. ;p
    Last edited by Swordbreaker; Sep 26th, 2007 at 01:13:42.
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

No cakes! I will make cakes, and I will make the greatest cakes.
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

/signed, still as much of a lovely idea as it was a year ago ^_^
    General of Horizon. Member of Unity. Frequent visitor of Free Spirits and The Last Element.

Nave [ 220 Solitus Fixer ] Qien [ 220 Solitus Engineer ] Navezero [ 200 Solitus Soldier ]
    Rafeg
    [ 150 Opifex Agent ] Midriff [ 60 Atrox Soldier ] Lowriff [ 30 Atrox Keeper ]

Also: Giant horde of alts.

My cakes will burn!

IT BURNNS.

You bring cakes to my lair?! Grrreat! Join me Link for dinner.

Dun dun dunnnn!

This is an amazing idea and will put AO back in the game!
    If i may, i would like to make a few more suggestions to make it even more interesting!
    How about once 'reborn' the toon gets:
    -a maximum of 3 rebirths
    -lvl caps increase as you progress through the rebirths (220/ai30 base, 230/ai35 rebirth1, 240/ai40 rebirth2 and 250/ai50 rebirth3 - wouldnt that be amazing?!
    -twice the cred space moving up the rebirth levels (2b @ r1, 3b @ r2, 4b @ r3)
    -twice the inv space moving up the rebirth levels (same idea as cred)
    -opportunity of getting 4k board, 6k board, 10k board moving up the ranks (10k will be some really sick board huhuhu):>
    -a title or colored name to symbolize your rebirth level!
    -items with rebirth level reqs? equippable at lvl 1

just a few ideas here but i think combined with the original idea this would be sweet and will keep ppl interested for a loooooooong time!

Rausu, I have a few problems with your ideas.

Let's see.

- Getting more levels than other, regular players, is not low impact. Everyone would have to be reborn to gain those levels. I can, for one, say, that I would quit AO with this kind of implementation of the idea.

- More cash/inv space is not low impact. Lower than the two others, sure, but it'd make the difference between having to play around with things in your inv and not.

- Better boards are not low impact. They would be considerably better than the current ones. The ones right now are already damn good, and 5k and especially beyond would be completely insane.

Now, colored name has been suggested before and is in the suggestion as it is - it'd be the kind of low impact kind of deal that this idea is revolving around. Items? Sure, there could be items, but they should be pretty much social in nature. They shouldn't be anything "phat" in the ways of a BoC, alien armor or anything, more like the propellor hat or the AI social clothes.

--

The main problem with your ideas is... If those ideas were to be added into the original idea, it would make it (contrary to the original idea) completely MANDATORY to be reborn for anyone who wants to keep up in the game. There's a massive difference between being level 220 and 250 - not to mention having *20* more AI levels than before.

I have to say, I prefer my idea of a non-mandatory rebirth which does not screw everyone over for not having been reborn over any idea which would have serious effects on the balance of the game.

I don't mean this in a hostile way, though. Just that I wouldn't like that kind of change into the original idea.

Zug zug.

I'll bump this one. I might actually choose to be reborn. You already covered a lot of this, but I'll say it anyways since the thread is long and I can't remember what all I read.

My suggestion is to make it a choice when you are reborn:

1) New profession.
    2) New breed.
    3) *One extra SL perk.
    4) *One extra AI perk.
    *The perks do not count against your total.

Things I would like to see if this was brought into the game:

1) You must be 220 to be reborn.
    2) Have some kind of quest for it. It doesn't have to be that long, but being reborn should not be easy either. Maybe tie it into CoH and the RK-SL links.
    3) You need to unequip everything (seems obvious, but had to be said).
    4) You keep your name, friends list, inventory and credits.
    5) You keep your nanos, but if you change profession you won't be able to use all of them.
    6) Your IP resets are back to the maximum (including the one full IP reset).
    7) You keep all your axp and research and it becomes available as you level.
    8) You do not get a leveling bonus. I would not want to see players dinging 220 fast.

There would be some potential for players to try and get a lot more perks by constantly being reborn. I'm not sure I care that much, since it would take years to really make a big difference (assuming no xp bonus as I suggested). Does anyone really want to grind that long just so they can pvp better? They may not even be playing by then. If people were concerned maybe there could be a cap on how many extra SL and AI perks you could get.

I saw you disagreeing about allowing new ai levels. I don't see a problem with it myself. There are not that many ai 30 players around, so it obviously isn't easy. If they bumped the cap to 40 for reborn players and kept scaling up the axp requirements for the next level it would give some incentive to keep doing ai stuff. Most of the ai perklines aren't that good and the performance difference between ai 30 and 40 would be small.

If funcom tied this into a rework of perk lines even better. Maybe add some new lines. Some profs have less than 40 good choices for SL perks at 220 while others have 50-60. They should not be overpowered, just good enough to be worth having. If everyone had 100+ SL options and just as many viable AI options you would see less cookie cutter builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Jjin View Post
    I'll bump this one. I might actually choose to be reborn. You already covered a lot of this, but I'll say it anyways since the thread is long and I can't remember what all I read.

My suggestion is to make it a choice when you are reborn:

1) New profession.
    2) New breed.
    3) *One extra SL perk.
    4) *One extra AI perk.
    No, that's not what this particular idea is about. The idea is not to make being reborn a necessary thing. Giving people an obvious bonus which makes them better than others isn't the point - the point is to let people who want it to change their profession and/or breed. I can see people with no other life than AO getting reborn a crapload of times just to gain a lot of new perks... And that's not a good thing in my book.

Things I would like to see if this was brought into the game:

1) You must be 220 to be reborn.
    This is the basic part of the original idea.

2) Have some kind of quest for it. It doesn't have to be that long, but being reborn should not be easy either. Maybe tie it into CoH and the RK-SL links.
    Has come up before, and I for one don't really care which ever way it would go - quest or no quest, if you are allowed to change your breed/profession, it's all good.

3) You need to unequip everything (seems obvious, but had to be said).
    Like it was said in the first post of this thread.

4) You keep your name, friends list, inventory and credits.
    Another part of the original idea, except in it you also keep all your items.

5) You keep your nanos, but if you change profession you won't be able to use all of them.
    Has been discussed. Ended up in that if you don't change your profession, your nanos stay, if you do, profession only nanos become hidden.

6) Your IP resets are back to the maximum (including the one full IP reset).
    A basic part of the original idea.

7) You keep all your axp and research and it becomes available as you level.
    A part of the original idea.

8) You do not get a leveling bonus. I would not want to see players dinging 220 fast.
    People already ding 220 fast. Why not allow people who just wanted to switch their breed and/or profession ding faster, if they thus wish?

There would be some potential for players to try and get a lot more perks by constantly being reborn. I'm not sure I care that much, since it would take years to really make a big difference (assuming no xp bonus as I suggested).
    Years? It took me 3 (real life) months to level up a crat to 220 without putting too much time into it. Considering people who sit in kite teams all day and so on, it'd take weeks for it to start showing, not years.

Does anyone really want to grind that long just so they can pvp better? They may not even be playing by then. If people were concerned maybe there could be a cap on how many extra SL and AI perks you could get.
    I think there should not be any extra SL/AI perks in the first place, to be honest. Think a level 60 guy with a bunch of extra perks... A horrible thought in my book. And yes, I'm sure there are people who would be ready to do the grind, and thus force everyone else who wants to be competitive in PvP to do the grind as well. There goes the "low impact" aspect of this idea.

I saw you disagreeing about allowing new ai levels. I don't see a problem with it myself. -- Most of the ai perklines aren't that good and the performance difference between ai 30 and 40 would be small.
    If alien levels were to be raised in number, it should not be tied to this rebirthing idea. The idea is to give people who do not like playing one (or more) of their 220 characters a chance to change things. Not people who are perfectly fine with their current setup a completely new grind which would be forced upon them by some of the crazy folks who WOULD go through it just to get that extra edge.

If funcom tied this into a rework of perk lines even better. Maybe add some new lines. Some profs have less than 40 good choices for SL perks at 220 while others have 50-60. They should not be overpowered, just good enough to be worth having. If everyone had 100+ SL options and just as many viable AI options you would see less cookie cutter builds.
    I don't think any perk changes should be tied to rebirthing, because rebirthing should not be tied to perks in any way to begin with. But yes, it would be great if we had more choices for perks for all the professions, which all would be viable and none would (or at least a large enough majority wouldn't) be "must have" types.

There is no time for dinner.

omg someone actually mentioned Asheron's call! lol i feel the wub ,
    this is in my opinion 1 of the best game suggestions yet it would create another aspect of the game other than the grind maybe if u rebirth u can choose to go perma PvP or not

Perma PvP in a game filled with gankers doesn't sound like much fun, though. To compensate for that you'd have to get something REALLY substantial, since your life would be at constant peril. If you wouldn't get something that would pretty much let you stand your ground against ganker squads long enough to at least get away, you might want to reroll. ;p

Then again, we already have BS, which is "perma PvP" in a sense.

Link, you must bring cakes to my lair?!

Yeah, I'll grab cakes, for Ganon.

GRREAT.

*Ganon's face*

Thumbs down No .... just no!

*Hope fervently that Funcom ignores this thread*

I play a game (not Ragnarok[ only played a 2D client side game that didn't have rebirth by that name]) that has rebirth every 15 levels (LoGTD) then there are multiple levels of rebirths and you get to change your character completely.

Please, NO

Just start a new one from of the same profession or something...

Let your poor perfected character rest and retire.
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

Quote Originally Posted by Jenshai View Post
    I play a game (not Ragnarok[ only played a 2D client side game that didn't have rebirth by that name]) that has rebirth every 15 levels (LoGTD) then there are multiple levels of rebirths and you get to change your character completely.
    And this has what to do with this thread? It seems quite odd that you'd bring up a rebirthing mechanism of some completely different game which is apparently completely different in the first place, and use it as a reason for saying "no" to this idea, which has only the word "rebirth" in common with what you just described. Did you even read the initial post?

What you're saying is kinda like saying "I know this other game where they use weapons and it sucks! So bringing weapons here would suck as well!"

Just start a new one from of the same profession or something...

Let your poor perfected character rest and retire.
    ... Yeah. Because having a character that's 220 totally means it's "perfected" or that the owner even sees that it can be "perfected". You don't seem to realize that there are people who have quit the game because they realized that they ended up with dead-end characters and they had no desire to do it all over again. Not everyone has the time nor the dedication to this game to go through with something as insane as what you are suggesting. If you are, well, that's your choice - others may just cancel. It's a lot easier, cheaper, much more fun and takes a whole lot less time to achieve.

See, not everyone's ready to reroll a character which might have a number of high-end nodrop items which they cannot give to their new rerolled character when they realized that the character JUST DOESN'T WORK compared to the others. Having flushed possibly months of your life down the drain already to get those only to realize that your character will still suck is not a fertile base for someone to go off rerolling. Cancelling, maybe, but not rerolling.

WHERE do these people who play games where rebirthing is a fundamental part of the game and think this would be the same come from...

And yes, I'm tired right now, but I'm still getting a bit peeved by comments which seem to criticize the implementation of rebirthing in OTHER GAMES, rather than the ideas which THIS PARTICULAR ONE is based on. Which is in the FIRST POST. If your rejection of the idea is based on some other game rather than the actual idea itself... Just don't post, because you aren't really criticizing the idea which has been brought up, but some other game. And as far as I can tell, this thread isn't about some other game, it's about a suggestion to Anarchy Online. Hence its location in the Game Suggestions forum of Anarchy Online's forums.

Jesus.
    Last edited by Swordbreaker; Nov 9th, 2007 at 09:23:17.

I'll bump this, good idea
    220 opi RK1 keeper § 220 opi RK1 Doc § 220 opi RK2 Fixer
    Quote Originally Posted by Enno Rehling View Post
    We usually call it WTF.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rerolll View Post
    Well...when a momma envy and a daddy envy love each other very much...well...ask your parents.

Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast