Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: An idea - The Ultimate Grind (tm).

OMG I love this idea.. I must say one of the single best ideas for end game ever.. I have a EoT which has only served to be a pretty ornament along with some other nice stuff like 3rd Floor IS stuff that I had to wait to be able to use till later.. The one area of concern is Tier Armor I would "HATE" to see it reset and or become unusable until endgame again.. however with the new Penultimate its a feasible option.. The AXP staying is a must.. This is a great idea..

I would suggest something like an auto-scaling form of Tier armor/symbiants that are installed at the time of "rebirth" or giving a "reborn" some other special enhancements.
    Last edited by Xaun; Jan 22nd, 2007 at 17:58:51.

Quote Originally Posted by Lookingout View Post
    I saw this is a ripoff idea from ragnorak...but...

Not true. I played Ragnarok for a couple of weeks when it was in alpha, and that was it. Thus, I couldn't have ripped the idea off it off when I came up with it. I admit though that the basis of the idea was from a MUD, which is what I said first off.

Oh yeah, and I really just wanted to bump my old suggestion up again. ;p Thus, it's not just random thread necromancy... It's self-necromancy! The thread reanimated as a ZOMBIE!

That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange eons even death may die.
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

Remorting, to give it its original name, as an idea is as old as the hills. i.e. the ability for a character to restart at level 0 with new options for abilities / additional skills / higher base stats and so forth. Typical one would be remorting from Wizard to become a Necromancer, who had the benefits of a wizard along with new class skills.

Sorry, but it doesn't really fit / work within the AO mechanics. Characters are already immortal (unless special weapons are used) and the mechanics of the classes / character development don't fit adding a 2nd go where you get slightly better skills / abilities etc. All of it is covered by perks, LE research and what-not - you upload nanos to your neural net permanently and so forth.

Let's think how a remort could work.

First off, higher IP / stats simply aren't needed, and the progression of toon strength fr00b -> SL -> AI -> LE already makes a huge difference. If you're suggesting that a SL toon could remort and become more powerful than a toon with AI/SL, your idea gets instantly shot down by FC's accounting department.

Ok then, what about getting some more class skills? I remort from soldier to Soldier-with-lower-doc-skills. Oops. There goes all balance out of the window. Classes are already unbalanced, and there'd be no way to stop certain combinations becoming PvM / PvP unstoppable machines. A remorted keeper casting soldier reflects would get >100% reflects easily, soloing the beast is going to be 'really popular' with the player base.

Ok then, what about making it breed dependent? So you become 'more atrox than atrox' and get some additional breed abilities & looks. e.g. a remorted trox starts off 120% scale, and just keeps getting bigger! Well, breed abilities are already unbalanced, and all you're really doing is adding some more perks - see 1) for why it isn't happening.

Ok then, what about making a remorted character open to all in PvP, but give them no OE mechanics, so twinking 0wNz > ? So they'd be gankable by all, but rock the pvp world! Borked - and what happens when a remorted character hits 220?

Ok then, what if a remorted character could select one prof that they could 'mimic' in equipping terms for items / weapons / armour? That'd rock if I could get my MP to use MA ofab! Borked - see 2).

Ok then, what if I could remort into a separate breed? Let's say I could remort into becoming a redeemed / unredeemed / heck mob based on my faction! Hmm. Might have potential, but would require a massive amount of new items, abilities, perks and so forth that FC isn't going to do - there's 12 classes, they have enough problems balancing them anyhow, adding three more is just going to make their lives into total kafkaesque nightmares of juggling.

And so on and so forth. Simply, there's not a feature of remorting that doesn't bork the mechanics, precisely because AO is so open to customisable settings - the few limitations that are present are slowly either over-come by mudflation (e.g. twinking dsharks on engies etc) or have been hard-set for a very good reason. AO > the ability to remort already.

Did you only read the initial post? Because the idea evolved quite a bit as the thread went on, and as you may see, in the end I had the stand point that any perkline/item/etc. you get should be low impact. And what's there to say that the perkline you gain wouldn't be an AI line? Or hell, even a global research line, for which you need an item to use you get for VPs like the new global research lines and can only use if you have rebirthed? And just like with the new global research lines, it could even be a leveling item.

Except, of course, it wouldn't be as potent for twinking and/or other things as the current research lines are, but it would still could be a fun thing to have.

Low impact, low effect. Nothing too fancy.

Actually, I think I'll edit the initial post a little to accomodate newer ideas which came up.
    Executing Nano Program: Gift of Assurance. Target has not enough nano controlling units (NCU) left. Swordbreaker: Not enough NCU. O_o Fixichong: FFS Fixichong: ive failed as a fixer Fixichong: i quit

One of the first of those people who put the Infused Dust Brigade Engineer Pistol (2,7k ME/EE making req) + Infused Master Engineer Pistol on the same Engineer before any updates that fixed anything (including the original sync issues inside the DB instance), lolz!11

I read about half the posts...so if i cover something already mentioned, sorry

cool idea, but can u imagine the impact this would have on the rest of the game? towers for example, your site gets attacked, but you're toon is now lvl 15 and can't do a thing about it....do u keep your towers? do those expensive high ql towers just go poof? garden keys...can we use them? need to regrind for them? hope u didn't delete all those low lvl useless nanos, or you're buying/farming them all over again. leveling items like cyberdeck, ar ethey reset? or do u need to redo spec 1-4? If you're a high ranking part of your org, this would surely make taking care of org business more difficult. Raid leaders and key players in certain faction events wouold go missing for some time. Can players switch factions also, since they can use applications again? Most of us would need banks twice the size to keep up with all the needed items along the way. I think it would throw the game into mass chaos, lol. but other than that, cool idea, as I think it should remain. just an opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by RedWatr View Post
    do u keep your towers? do those expensive high ql towers just go poof?
    Hmm. As you keep all your items, I don't see a problem a lowbie keeping a tower. It's part of the whole "YOU'RE BETTER THAN THE OTHERS ON YOUR LEVEL" thing! You just can't defend it at all with that character. My level 60 Slayertwink already uses towers much higher than him with twinked CL which he can't defend, so this would be nothing new. However, why would someone who's comfortable with their setup do a rebirth in the first place? Wouldn't having high towers up mean that you aren't really desperate to reroll?

garden keys...can we use them? need to regrind for them?
    As you keep all your nodrops, you would naturally keep garden keys, which would make garden access easy as... Stuff! It wouldn't be too imbalancing because there's little point running around in Inf at level 1.

hope u didn't delete all those low lvl useless nanos, or you're buying/farming them all over again.
    Indeed. But you'll just have to regrind up to the point you deleted them. And, as I said, this thing would be VOLUNTARY, not mandatory.

leveling items like cyberdeck, ar ethey reset? or do u need to redo spec 1-4?
    I'd say they wouldn't be reset as they're items in your inventory and the game probably seems them only as such. You'd have to make a lower level version to use it again, but as I said, it's a choice, not a mandatory thing. As for Specs, I'd say they should stay, just like your AI levels stay.

If you're a high ranking part of your org, this would surely make taking care of org business more difficult. Raid leaders and key players in certain faction events wouold go missing for some time.
    Obviously only if they wanted to do it because they weren't comfortable with their current setup, or wanted some lowbie items they never had a chance of getting in the first place. How many people would use it? I don't think many, unless people fell in love with rebirthing for some reason.

Can players switch factions also, since they can use applications again?
    Of course they would be able to switch factions. Just that you can't switch to Neutral if you weren't neutral in the first place, unless it would make you a level 1 neutral charater in the AI newbie island. That could however potentially break organizations, and that would suck, so preferably it would make you a character of level 1 in the faction you rebirthed in.

Most of us would need banks twice the size to keep up with all the needed items along the way.
    Yep. My bank is already in chaos with just 1 character... Well, not one. It contains the remains of at least 2 other alts which I deleted because I wasn't happy with them.

I think it would throw the game into mass chaos, lol. but other than that, cool idea, as I think it should remain. just an opinion.
    Again, only if people wanted to do it for some pressing reason, as it'd be completely voluntary. The main reward would be being able to reroll without actually rerolling, anything else would be just gravy.

You want that worthless trinket?!

Ragnaranarchy Online?

Quote Originally Posted by Tani View Post
    Ragnaranarchy Online?
    No, because this idea in itself is older than Ragnarok, which apparently just copied it from the MUDs first.

AND I STILL HAVEN'T PLAYED RAGNAROK. GO AWAY YOU RAGNAROK NERDS.
    Last edited by Swordbreaker; Aug 31st, 2007 at 20:19:00.

The trophy is mine!

I like this idea too, but what would happen with all the nanos if you change profession, the program list would get huge after awhile, I'm guessing all the profession specific ones would be wiped, but you keep all nanos with no prof specified. Or hide them and they become available again if you go through a second rebirth to your old profession again, since there are some nanos after all which is a pain to reaquire...

Quote Originally Posted by Lagalot View Post
    I like this idea too, but what would happen with all the nanos if you change profession, the program list would get huge after awhile, I'm guessing all the profession specific ones would be wiped, but you keep all nanos with no prof specified. Or hide them and they become available again if you go through a second rebirth to your old profession again, since there are some nanos after all which is a pain to reaquire...
    Hmm, that's actually a good point, one that I hadn't really thought of a whole lot. If the profession specific ones, if you changed profession, were hidden, it'd make things easier later... But I guess it could also be done so that your profession nanos get wiped if you switch profs, but not if you don't switch profs, making switching profs quite a bigger deal than switching the breed. I think it should be too, though. Kind of like how tokens disappear when you switch sides... Or something.

Having another headache right now, gotta think on these things a bit more when it clears.

OK, after thinking about it for a little while, I came to the conclusion that people with professional "loyalty" should be the ones getting the reward of having their nanos stay intact, while people who switch profs should get all nanos wiped instead of having them get hidden. That way breed change (which is what people are more likely use this anyway) would still be relatively free of downsides, other than the fact that you'll need to level up again, while prof change would actually require some more thought from the changer's part.

This water is BANG! And my bird is GONE!

Detail are details (and can change all)... but the idee is bumpisch.
    There are no problem that an absence of solution could'nt solve

Wielder of the "IWin" button.

Mud = devil!

Quote Originally Posted by Graviuz View Post
    Mud = devil!
    WHAT IS THIS MUD DEVIL YOU SPEAK OF

Bump again for this idea. Would bring something "special" to the game

How do you do it Allan? Do you perhaps drink Cillit Bang?

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast