Thread: Deconstructing Nulion - A Journal Entry

Deconstructing Nulion - A Journal Entry

((Hooray! Another story! I just love writing these Anyway....this story is a little bit different from my others, in that it is set up as a journal entry. A really long journal entry. This should help explain things though, for anybody wondering about what in the heck Nulion is up to right now, with all this Legionnaires business flying around. It's been confusing! Gotta keep in mind though, this is a large entry from Nulion's PRIVATE journal...nobody is actually reading this in-character, tee hee. Also, it's worth mentioning that the idea for this came about from talking with Cylie, and hopefully sometime along the line, she can write a story that parallels this one! Annnd...without further ado...))

JOURNAL BEGIN
    16.MAY.29480

I've...really done it this time....

In my lifetime, I may have done some admittedly idiotic things. Once when I was 6, I remember clearly having slipped into this old, abandoned building down the street from mine with a bunch of friends...we'd thought the place was haunted. Creaky, old, covered in cobwebs...the place had to have been built several hundred years before; how could a little kid *not* believe there were ghosts hanging around? Bad luck for us, the police driving down the street just happened to see the glint of our flashlights flying around inside the house through the windows, and they were waiting for us as we came out into the sunlight...

I'd felt awful about it, and cried for hours on end to my parents...I'd never meant to do any harm. I just wanted to see some ghosts...

Things have changed an awful lot since I was that young...I've been on Rubi-Ka for about five years now. The past year though...has been challenging all that I know, all that I believe myself to be. Nothing has challenged me as heavily as what is happening right now...

The clockwork of a human mind works in different ways for each individual human being; it is what makes us so unique. One man might think something different about, say, salad dressing than another man with a similar background. For one, it might remind him of warm summer days before being sent to prison...For the other, it may remind him of the prison itself. Some things about Rubi-Ka can alter and distort these very core foundations of our minds, and things that sounded insane elsewhere can be considered the most sane thing to do here. That is what I'm experiencing now...

On Rubi-Ka...as we all know...there is a curious absence of permanent death. On other worlds, we are born...we live...and we die. Here, we can live a hundred lives before we actually die of old age, as battle-scarred grandfathers lying in plush beds, by then the elixir of notum all too familiar to our tired senses. Sometimes, you are forced to think of death as a viable option when wanting to get something done....After all, it isn't permanent, right? It can be done painlessly....One shot to the head, and all the victim would ever feel is a slight nausea, and the numbness of the body that comes along with a reclaim wakeup.

Even if it isn't permanent....that doesn't make it right.

Cylie springs to mind immediately....And every single day, I feel worse...and worse....about what I have said to her, and the things I have felt forced to say I would do to her. She's been such a good friend to me....and then I turn around and do this. Damn you, Volcatius...

All of the time spent with that man whispering into my ear...all of the months spent fruitlessly feeling around in the dark for answers had...taken its toll on me. Every night, I would go over in my mind all of the different ways I could get to him....how I could rip the nerve center out of the Legionnaires, and bring everything to a close...

Months of hiding from a man I couldn't see haven't been helping me either....maybe in the back of my mind, what I really wanted were answers, and revenge....I wanted to make him pay, I wanted to return all of the anguish he has put me through...And that's not even taking into account all the other things he has done, to all of the other people....

I have spent so much time dreaming up schemes that could never work. My imagination ran wild with the things I might learn from this self-proclaimed "God". With each new thought...I craved it more. I'd do anything, anything at all to find out more...

I'd finally gotten my chance not long ago...Staring out into the Old Athen canal, where those children were found dead....I heard him again. Each time, it feels like something from out of a dream...whispers from air, drawing me nearer....All of the time I had spent trying to beat him hadn't gone unnoticed though. He knew I'd intended on plotting against him. He just...he knows these things....Even at night, I feel like he can watch me sleeping. Watch me dreaming.

I'd done all I could do....and then simply gave in. I had never felt more puppetlike in my life...Listening to his word as if it were law, and agreeing whole-heartedly to whatever schemes he would involve me in. It...had to be convincing. It all had to be so utterly, completely convincing....I just couldn't fail.

As I heard him speak....I thought to myself. What would I have to do, to get to the very heart of him..? How far would I have to go? What would I have to sacrifice to get it..?

It did scare me....and truth be told, it still does. If such an innocuous first request from my new Lord could cause so much strife...then what would come next?
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

The very first task I was to complete was supposed to be simple....I had to get a disc from Cylie. Nothing more...nothing less. And I had all the tools an agent could ask for to get the job done....I'd even felt enthusiastic about it! I knew I wouldn't have to lay a finger on her...

I couldn't have been more wrong. Cylie...is a company woman. She's sweet and kind, and has a family....She's such a good person in my eyes, regardless of who she's working for. There've been times where she has supported me...talked to me, listened to what I've had to say. Despite the difference of perspective, she's been a good friend.

The disc she was carrying....was something that required more pushing than she was prepared to allow for. I needed it....I had to prove to Volcatius that I was the "Chosen" he had believed me to be. The disc though...was sensitive material to Omni-Tek. It was important to their operations, having been given to Cylie by an agent, with instructions to get it directly to headquarters. She would lose so much if she were to lose it...She could lose her job. And in Omni-Tek...losing your job is the equivalent of being deported.

How could I get it from her..? We could always try and fake something, couldn't we? It was lower than I'd wanted to go, sure....but it would keep her out of trouble, and put me in a better position to dismantle the Legionnaires....She wouldn't follow through.

I....I never, ever wanted to have to hurt her....And I never did hurt her, even after she'd declined faking a robbery. What choice did I have left though? I wanted to do everything in my power to never, ever have to lay a single finger on her....but she was endangering the only chance we'd ever have at getting back at them...

To get rid of the Legionnaires...I truly do believe that the only possible way to get it done...is to join them. There simply is no other way....We've tried so many other things...Omni-Tek has raided and destroyed one of their bases. Tipha has exchanged herself for the children...We've spent months trying to piece fractal and nonsensical clues, random kidnappings and appearances together. And there they are, still. Since February, I still have not even seen what Volcatius looks like...just a floating, black robe. Usually, he cannot be seen at all. All these months of trying...and nobody on this planet has even gotten close. There's so much we don't know...so much we have to learn....And most important of all to me, I want to know what he wanted with me to begin with.

All of that...was riding on a disc. On a planet like Rubi-Ka, where death can be painless and not be permanent....how could I have not considered shooting Cylie? At least at the moment I considered it...at the wrong moment. And now...it's all beginning to fall apart.

I'd scared my own friend into thinking I would kill her over a disc....My friends, my Councilmates know I'm working with the Legionnaires...I can already begin to feel how disgusted they are with me. I don't think I'll even be able to show my face near Truth Tower anytime soon....Hyperion wants to kill me. Anamelle thinks I've completely given in and crossed a line that should never have been crossed...

I feel my world crashing down around my ears....and there is nothing I can do about it. If I tell them it's more or less a sting operation....Volcatius will know. There has to be no doubt....there has to be no question. It's driving me insane...

My days and nights consist of me sitting here in my apartment, a bottle of alcohol in hand, letting the liquid soothe me and wash away the intense depression that's constantly ebbing at my soul. Every time I am forced to make a person believe that I am one of those child-murdering freaks....a piece of me dies.

I...I can't even think about it anymore....I want to just let it go...and when the time comes to shove a knife into Volcatius' heart...if he even has one...my only hope is that people will be able to see that I'm not a bad man...I could never whole-heartedly support a madman who kills kids. I could never willingly hurt my own friends.

What was left now..? ...What could carry me through, provide some sort of guiding light? Where was that helping hand to dredge me out from whatever trench I'd fallen into? It was back home....back on Earth. I had made a promise to myself...that I would go back there someday. I have no intention of falling back on my promises...even if they're only ones I have made to myself in silence, while staring at some cracked frame in an abandoned apartment room, in the middle of Rome.

I'm looking at it now...slumped against the couch in my skyloft apartment....The faint, orange glow of twilight glistened from its shattered frame...just beyond a thin veil of defiled glass was all that I needed to pull me through even the worst of times...I love you mom. I love you dad. You too, grandma and grandpa.....Your baby's still out here...

I wonder if they'd be proud of me...or ashamed? What would they think, learning all of what has happened to their son whilst trapped on this notum-infused hell? I'd left Omni-Tek for a friend...I'd joined the Clans, the rebels. Became a wanted man...and escaped from prison. Fell victim to a virus that left parts of me scarred I'd never have dreamed about until recently....Some of which, only a single person knows about.

Falikos....

If it weren't for her...I might've never figured it out on my own. I'd been wondering so much why I could never get enough sleep, sometimes conked out for 15 hours at a time....Why at nights, after removing my armor, I would shiver and twitch in bed, the cold air sneaking in from the balcony, shutting my body down...and only the warmth of the suns could wake me back up. I craved sunlight, or fire, or whatever else could keep me warm. I keep heat lamps over my bed....and they stay on until I fall asleep.

I hadn't even realized it, but my eyes were not the only things reptilian on me now....so was my very bloodstream. Nobody ever noticed...since I had kept my armor on almost all of the time, hiding behind its warmth and protection. If they had felt my hand, it would have felt more like Penumbran snow....cold-blooded ice. What's next, a compliment of scales replacing skin..? Thankfully, I haven't felt any. Or seen any.

I wouldn't be able to handle that....doesn't mean it can't happen though.
    220 Finalizer (FINALLY, after 3 years without a single ding!) Nulion, Squad Commander (And Council of Truth Clerical Staffer) of Alpha Omega

Once upon a time, I dreamt I was a butterfly...Suddenly I awoke...Now, I do not know whether I was then
    a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming that I am a man. - Chuang Tzu

So many things, more than what most people know, have been keeping me up nights....things I cannot tell. I cannot tell people I am only pretending to be a Legionnaire...I cannot tell people I have become more inhuman than I'd thought possible....Secrets bunched up like that can only lead to pressure. There's some days where I want to scream it out to the heavens, to get it off of my chest. Thankfully...Falikos does help get rid of some of that pressure.

But then...she can add some, too. Lately, Falikos has been pressuring me to send a letter to my family, back on Earth. And there's still that knot in my gut that I get, whenever I hear someone else mentions them....I both want to send a letter, and don't want to at the same time. Every time I put my pen to paper....I tell myself "No, not yet..."...as if I had all the time in the universe to just get word out to them that I'm even still alive. Someday though....I'll get through to myself. I'll find that courage to....to face what I've done.

But right now....I just can't. I'm doing my very best to hide it, but I feel sick, and scared...and alone. It's all *his* fault....all of it. But...if I show even once ounce of everything I hold on the inside....he will know about it. I haven't even told others about the device Noraxu had given me...Not a single soul. It's my secret weapon....

Just beneath the first layer of maroon fabric on my armor, there is a small pouch...containing a metallic sphere. Nondescript, immune to scanning, looks more like a pearl fished from the jaws of an Adonian clam. Nifty thing about it, is that it can tell me exactly where I am at all times. If I go to where Volcatius is, Noraxu will know...I'm the trojan horse. The viral injector....And I cannot tell a soul. Except Noraxu, that is....and he's already enough of a shifty individual.

You can ask anybody who knows him, really....Most will tell you he's a su****ious nanomage meta-physicist, not to be trusted, having some shadowy connection with the Legionnaires. Only a select few have a semblance of trust toward the man...myself included. I have a feeling though, that he is the key...the one who can help the very most at bringing those bastards down. I just never thought it would cost me this much....

I wonder what tomorrow holds for me..? Will I be forced to hurt someone against my will? Will yet another of my friends decide I'm no better than a child-murdering terrorist? Will I be hunted down, just like Tipha is right now?

Hah...That does remind me, in this little spiel of mine...how could I have forgotten Tipha? She's the first one to have to go through what I'm going through now...followed by myself, and then Tyma. We're all a part of the same game....Although Tipha has a more...public...reason for being in the situation she's in. A few months back...there was a large-scale Omni-Tek raid on one of the Legionnaires' facilities....I have no idea how they managed to find it. Tipha was the leader of that operation, from what I understand...and she'd managed to bring one of the kids out alive, a little girl. She's always been most interested in the kids...wanting to save them from whatever hell they'd been stuck in.

A few weeks ago...she got her chance. Her life...for the kids. Ever since she's made the trade, she's been hunted down, has had warrants placed on her head, had Omni-Pol called on her...She's lost so much. And wouldn't you know...I am working with her. Sometimes, seeing her in the state she's in though can even scare me....I can't tell anymore if she's just pretending, or if she literally has become one of them. Whichever the case...I have to learn from her. To be as convincing as I can be....I have to mimic her.

The real storm is yet to come, I know that....the more I act like her, the more I'll be caught in the same situation as she is. It's already happening....All I can do is wait for it.

I'm...feeling awful tired about now. I've rambled on for long enough, I think....but that's all that's on my mind. It's helped a little, honestly, being able to just sit down and type out my fears. Spatter whatever's on my mind onto the wordpad here...I still feel cold though. I need some warmth...kept my armor off too long. Heh.

Welcome to your world, Nulion.

END OF JOURNAL
    17.MAY.29480

dude your crazy ))
    Ultraagent 220- Agent Opifex
    Evanescense 125- Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Ttempath 125- Solitus Adventurer

Proud Member of The Asylum

((It's a crazy world ))

(( I like it Nulion))
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

((powerful stuff, i like it))
    ALTS: Alienhunter, Moonglum, Quellist, Quellcrist, Jesharet

((Thank you both! ))