Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to pull one mob....and only one!

How to pull one mob....and only one!

I've been in a lot of team as of late, doing team missions for Xp. Sometimes I get these really great teams that just have Xp flowing off my head. Other times I end up on a team that can't even make it past the first freekin room.

The reason?!? No one knows how to take off there reflect bracers and damage shields before they start. I have to go through a whole big thing with them as to how the whole pull one mob deal works. I've even seen a guy go in, shoot one and run back out, thinking he was pulling just one mob into the front room.

What is sad is that I'm at lvl 99 with my adv, and i dont see how these people have survived to see such a high lvl.

Please...if your one if these people...change your ways for the better of your team.

Why do u have to take of bracers and remove damage shields ???

I am an ADV (162), ... I always use the highest shields I can get.. and even ask soldiers for their shields too.

The shields are awesome for tanks.... and they help in maintaining aggro too.

If u know how to pull, u don't have to worry about shields. It doesn't matter.

I use them even in teams with calmers and mezzers. They know how to deal with shields.

I have to agree with Ashuras on this one.

A competent team is what is required and that has nothing to do with bracers.

I wear my shields but as an advy I tend to let others make the first attacks, let the calmers calm, mezzers mezz, that way I can pop off a few good heals before the mob even knows Im there. By that time the bracers are a moot point.

Of course what they don't tell you is that at our levels no one needs a calmer. :P You get 4 mobs on you, big deal. At 94, calming is still a fairly unpolished skill for many, and it really is a good idea for the avg team to remove their deflection shields. You are not wrong for thinking this. Just realize that you and hopefully those you team with will outgrow that concept.

Originally posted by Zylina
    Of course what they don't tell you is that at our levels no one needs a calmer. :P You get 4 mobs on you, big deal. At 94, calming is still a fairly unpolished skill for many, and it really is a good idea for the avg team to remove their deflection shields. You are not wrong for thinking this. Just realize that you and hopefully those you team with will outgrow that concept.
    yup yup i was thinking that too Good post

Originally posted by Ashuras
    Why do u have to take of bracers and remove damage shields ???

I am an ADV (162), ... I always use the highest shields I can get.. and even ask soldiers for their shields too.

The shields are awesome for tanks.... and they help in maintaining aggro too.

If u know how to pull, u don't have to worry about shields. It doesn't matter.

I use them even in teams with calmers and mezzers. They know how to deal with shields.

I don't think you get what I mean. I'm talking about pulling one mob out of a large group of them from a large room. If you go in and attack one mob while in the same room with all the others, they ALL will attack. If you go in and dont attack and wait for one to aggro on you (making sure not to attack it back yet) and run out of the room with just the one mob on your tail, you can attack it the moment it steps through the doorway without fear of 3 or 4 more adds running in to bash/shoot you.

The problem is when you go into that big room with many mobs and you deal any damage at all, they will all attack you. Hence if that mob shoots you while your pulling it and you have a reflect or damage shield, thats the same as attacking it, and all mobs in that room are on you.

Like I said though.... I've seen guys with the full intention of trying to pull only one, and I see them glowing from a damage shield. Then I have to stop and explain the whole concept again. Just like I'm doing with you!

Also the trick is to not have the adds in the first place. I can do a mission with out any calmer/mezzers and never have a sigle add.

I think adventurers make really good pullers. I can team mission QL 185 missions and tanking one of those long cubbyhole rooms, usually has 2 mobs inside, I easily can pull one,

it takes a little finesse.

meaning i peek in to the hall where the mob is to target the nearest one, when the other one turns away , i hit Q while at the same time hitting s to pull away from the room, these mobs pick up that attack about instantly, so the one runs in now im out of the way of the doorway and the other mob isnt pulled.

The people that

know how to pull don't need to remove anything. It is never necessary to wander around the lobby to get a mob. Just pop your head in and slip back around the door when the mob decides you are the enemy.

Time is wasted when you have to put up your shield or don your bracers. I don't know about you but id rather not have my tank goofing with armor and buffs when there is a baddie pounding on me.

Another alternative to mandating your puller remove armor and buffs prior to pulling the lobby is to pull it yourself. After the lobby is clear, let the designated puller go to town.

Re: The people that

Originally posted by JoeAverage
    know how to pull don't need to remove anything. It is never necessary to wander around the lobby to get a mob. Just pop your head in and slip back around the door when the mob decides you are the enemy.

Time is wasted when you have to put up your shield or don your bracers. I don't know about you but id rather not have my tank goofing with armor and buffs when there is a baddie pounding on me.

Another alternative to mandating your puller remove armor and buffs prior to pulling the lobby is to pull it yourself. After the lobby is clear, let the designated puller go to town.

You can be in a different room and not attack, and if the mob has a ranged attack and hits you before he makes it out of the main mob room (and you have a damage/reflect bracer/buff) then guess what... that’s right, all the mobs aggro. You and the last guy I quoted are the kinda people I would be pissed off at, if you where in my team. Some of you guys just don’t listen.

.....and then they cant understand why they died and things like this get said at the reclaim on the team chat: "oh where in the world did all those aggroes come from!?!?"

Please take some advise for the sake of whom ever team recruits you.

I’m not saying leave them off at all times. What I AM saying is that when you first start the mission with your team, or you have calmers/mezzers that cant do there job cuz your to scared or feel you lose your “uberness” if you take them off, its your own damn fault and other suffer with you.

Deflection and pulling

That does make sense and is worthwhile to avoid, many times there is a chance to put those things back up just as the mob is coming in anyways.

As someone that was main pull/assist in EQ and DAoC for my guild it is good to see some thought needed when pulling as compared to DAoC. DAoC pulling was relentless boredom, you always knew what you would get before you pulled.

Originally posted by natallian

I don't think you get what I mean. I'm talking about pulling one mob out of a large group of them from a large room. If you go in and attack one mob while in the same room with all the others, they ALL will attack. If you go in and dont attack and wait for one to aggro on you (making sure not to attack it back yet) and run out of the room with just the one mob on your tail, you can attack it the moment it steps through the doorway without fear of 3 or 4 more adds running in to bash/shoot you.

The problem is when you go into that big room with many mobs and you deal any damage at all, they will all attack you. Hence if that mob shoots you while your pulling it and you have a reflect or damage shield, thats the same as attacking it, and all mobs in that room are on you.

Like I said though.... I've seen guys with the full intention of trying to pull only one, and I see them glowing from a damage shield. Then I have to stop and explain the whole concept again. Just like I'm doing with you!
    Hmm.. I know exactly what u mean.

Yes... hitting back at mob in their room = aggro everybody. Every experienced puller should know that.

Just FYI, as an ADV, I solo A LOT. Every single 1st room in mission = practice in pulling..... it's matters a lot to me, coz I cannot mezz.

I need all my nanopool for my healing and cannot afford to use them to cast my reflect shield buffs (those buffs can eat up a huge chunk of nano) during battle.

THere are lots of ways to pull ... if u have a bit of patience, u do not even need to step into the room.

U don't have to explain the whole concept or ask people to remove their buffs. It CAN be done with shields on. (unless those guys are new... then u'll need to explain the.. "don't shoot until they're in your room concept")

Heheh... trust your teammates. Sometimes u might get pleasantly surprised and learn some new things.

Those who teamed with me before will know the way I pull is a bit... errm.. "different" (hint: I like to show the mobs my tiger's tail)

Re: Re: The people that

Originally posted by natallian

You can be in a different room and not attack, and if the mob has a ranged attack and hits you before he makes it out of the main mob room (and you have a damage/reflect bracer/buff) then guess what... that’s right, all the mobs aggro. You and the last guy I quoted are the kinda people I would be pissed off at, if you where in my team. Some of you guys just don’t listen.

.....and then they cant understand why they died and things like this get said at the reclaim on the team chat: "oh where in the world did all those aggroes come from!?!?"

Please take some advise for the sake of whom ever team recruits you.

I’m not saying leave them off at all times. What I AM saying is that when you first start the mission with your team, or you have calmers/mezzers that cant do there job cuz your to scared or feel you lose your “uberness” if you take them off, its your own damn fault and other suffer with you.
    Nat... please read his post carefully. He obviously knows what he' doing.

His suggestions do work. (eg. the one about the buffed up guy not doing the pulling in 1st room if u have no confidence in him)

BTW, the LOS implementation had improved quite a lot since one of the patches. Pulling was so damm simple since then.

Sometimes.. it's a just a simple side step from the doorway to hide behind a wall and the stupid mob will run all the way to your room without being able to shoot 1st.

Sometimes.. it's the stupid team members who were so eager to start the fight and shot at the mob before it arrives at the "destination".

U cannot always blame the puller.

Maybe u should team with some of us and we'll show u how it's done

Always more fun pop out door target 1, press 1/2/3 back off and hope you got a nice alpha most teams im in can cope quite easily anyway, since lowest lvl I can team with is 130ish

There is no need to remove reflects period.

1. A good puller is a good puller and will pull a single mob with or without reflects.

2. It's quite possible to calm a mob attacking someone with a reflect shield.

ok i'm sometimes a puller in my group and I also have a soldier alt who pulls

you pull only one mob by letting them AGGRO YOU BY SIGHT!

I don't know if someone said this before i'm to lazy to read all that..
    Kukulza proud unit member of Storm!!! - Equip - Perks
    Kuzap

K.U.K.U.L.Z.A.: Kinetic Upgraded Knight Used for Learning and Zealous Assassination

\m/ \m/

Nat, you are right don't pay much attention to those disagreeing with you. This is sound advice for most people around your level because it takes a skilled calmer to work around reflects and it is more unnecessary work to do so for the little damage they provide save for some key setups.

Considering there are very few skilled calmers people die alot because of it early on. Luckily you don't have to really worry about that soon because everything dies so fast. I still see 140+ people go down in boss rooms sometimes still due to that however, although seldom.

Calming is always very necessary if you are pushing the limits of your group (max xp). If one mob is pushing your group DPS/HPS (damage per second/Heals per second) then an uncalmed add can be disastrous.

Also I agree, very few know how to pull singles using only LoS and some posts here just prove that.

Even less people think about "team" before they think about "I".
    Last edited by Vorak; Aug 14th, 2002 at 16:43:06.

Originally posted by BGumble
    There is no need to remove reflects period.

1. A good puller is a good puller and will pull a single mob with or without reflects.

2. It's quite possible to calm a mob attacking someone with a reflect shield.

Wow thanks for proving my case and point that people just dont listen or take advise.

1. Sure you can pull one mob if you lucky enouph to have a melee mob and its far away from you, so you never get hit uptil it's in the room with you. But why chance it when you can be 100% sure and JUST TAKE THE DAMN THING OFF!!!

2. Agian... yes it is possible to calm an aggro off a person who has a reflect on. BUT WHY DO YOU INSIST ON MAKING THE MEZZERS/CALMERS JOB HARDER?

Do me a favor and stay out of my teams.

Re: Re: Re: The people that

Originally posted by Ashuras

Maybe u should team with some of us and we'll show u how it's done

I know how it's done, and I have been in some very nice teams. I'm at lvl 102 now with my adv, and the teams I mission with do QL180 missions.

Another thing while im here talking about team mission. If you open a chest while everyone else is in a fight... you should be kicked from the team and booted to the curb. Docs should not even bother healing bums who just unleashed a RR on the team.

But please remember also that rats come out of doors too.

LMAO !

ok not funny, but the rule about roller rats only applies if your team is too weak to handle them. And that's something that needs to be ascertained right at the beginning, can we take a an added roller rat in an on going fight?

Im a level 137 Advy and the only time I have died in 10 levels is when someone opened a chest unleashing a roller rat. Whyd I die? Cos I ran AWAY from the team sacrificing myself for them. Hell, I lost 5 million experience, and I didn't even let the rat out, but that's what I do. OUCH.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast