Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Tanking Guide of Doom

Short Tanking Guide of Doom

Tanking Tips In General:

Im going to talk more about tactics, buffs, and perk usage in this guide than equipment. Ill add equipment section when i have time. This guide is mainly for new upcoming enforcers

- Always have the best single taunt bought that you can use ( I dont mean max everything to get the best, but have fairly good) If you have calmer you cant mongo with adds, you need to use single taunts
    - Proc Taunts are good. (Bringer line)
    - If you get many adds mongo even if you have calmer. Waiting for him to calm the adds might gank someone who is more squishy.
    - Activate cocoon at the beginning of bad fight (aka many adds for example) Not when you are about to die. The Cocoon gives the doc time to UBT and Calmer time to calm. Its also a good idea to let your team know when you use cocoon. I just have macro that says Cocoon Up in team chat in my macro hot bar.
    - Always activate Bio Regrowth (Bio Shielding 10 perk action 30 sec powerful HoT) when you are @ 50% life or more. It has long activation time and the healing is over time, so activating it near death dosnt help. Same for other hot perks (Lifeblood, Colossal Health 5)
    - If you are also the caller when tanking, swap target bit before the last one is dead (if you had adds) this way you get to build a bit of aggro on the new mob before others kick in. It also keeps the calling smooth and killing is more efficent.
    - If you have Trollform (perk) Use it the same way you would use a cocoon, its no good if you activate it at the end of the fight.
    - Dont forget using IP in evades. I have Dodge and Evade maxed, and Duck near to maxed.
    - If you have problmes with Nano's you might want to think about perking Genius 2 (Regain Nano)
    - Get alot of NCU, you need the most in game as enfo.

Say if I forgot something really important. Otherwise Im adding stuff as I remember it.

Tanking Aliens

- If you are the caller, always call Hacker first on the ground after that Ankari mobs, they spawn zixes and nuke. If you are in ship try to follow this calling order:

1. Ankari (zixes, nukes)
    2. Ilari (nukes)
    3. Xoch (heals)

- Dont try to obtain zix aggro away from others, They wont listen to you. Just concentrate on killing the mobs that spawn them as fast as possible.
    - You Can get Zix aggro by being the first one they see. So when you are rushing boss thats Ankari type, Go first as usual, and tell the doc wait till the zixes spawn and aggro you - this way they wont aggro doc wich comes from hiding last.
    - When its Admiral time in ship, ask others to wait for few hits so you can get some aggro. Upping SL ess is not bad idea if you are at those levels.

Tanking Biodome Hags

- Get Reflects and Use your Max life equipment and Nanos.
    - Never use all your nano just before new Incarnation spawning. You need to have nano to mongo when the new Wave Pops.
    - If you lose the aggro from the last Boss and it Charges to the Ranged group, obtain aggro back fast with taunts and big hits such as dimach.
    - If you dont have alot of People tank can help on the adds aswell. just stay near the Hag.

Tanking Biodome Inside Boss

- Dont mongo, it aggroes the turrets
    - Just spam single taunts all the time.
    - Use the Dmg type chaning nanos, i have few diffrent. They are useful here even thou they have cooldown. The Boss has 1k reflects on sertain damage types, and this changes during the battle.
    - Take few diffrent weapons with you. I had Kyr'ozch Sword - Type 112, Enhanced Queen Blade And Frost Bound Reaper. Kyr'ozch Sword - Type 880 is Cold damage btw, so making it si not a bad idea, can also be useful in Mission bosses with Energy shields. (if you use Sword THAT is)
    - If you swap weapons, the docs can't heal you during the time you're re-equipping (thx Djurmamman)

Tanking The Mercs

- Take all the RS buffs and equipment on that you can get. I like to Run SL ess and they also debuff RS and all inits constantly for 1000.
    - Ask others to give you time to get aggro.
    - If you lose the aggro and it starts to run around (this can happen since you are -1000 inits) obtain aggro back fast. Disable SL ess if needed to catch the Merc.
    - Everyone should know to stay away from Ian if they are squishy or ranged. Dont let Ian get to the ranged group! Just basically chain mongo. And ask for all the init buffs. Wear a complier.
    - If you get more than one merc see if they heal each other (Nelly ? (thx Tykahndriuss)), kill the healr first. Im not sure if they all heal thou. If Ian comes I like to kill him first always. Just chain mongo and tell everyone to assist you. And tell them not to touch the other merc. That is if you are tanking 2 or more.

Tanking APF

- Run SL ess in 13 and 28, they have big ambushes. Dont run it in 35. Its a sector with no ambushes and alot of running.
    - Activate Troll From at the beginning of Big Ambushes. Use cocoon too. Setupping Guardian order is a good idea aswell.
    - Make sure you have: Reflects, Nano Regeneration buffs, GSF and Engi AC's if possible. Of course all buffs help, take as much as you can fit in your NCU. Wear 6x memories here, take compliers and other stuff off.
    - If there is Crat(s) in the raid, ask if they have Improved Cut Red Tape nano. It has add all def, and more importantly Crit Decrease.

Generals:

28: Take aggro for about 1 bar. Keep mongoing trough the fight. Have your finger on the cocoon button for Crit streek and add compos. The Genral aggro resets at 3 bars.

35: This Sector has 2 generals. Support and Marshall. If the support is no killed fast enough, the general gets some sort of TMS.

If you are tanking both, be ready and buffed before they come. Start attacking the support and mongo. Pull it near the Marhall and keep mongoing. If noone else is attacking the gens you should obtain aggro form both. Now ask for Guardians and activate Troll From. You dont usually have much time to gain aggro on support before dd's kick in so use all you got on him. Swap to marshall bit before support dies.

Sometimes you only need to tank the other gen this should be pretty simple. The 35 Generals dont hit has hard as the 13, or the 28 ones.

13: This one is tricky in the end. Its pretty much the same for you than 28 in the start, just with more adds. Mongo the adds on you aswell. But at the end when Gen dies, dont stop mongoing! Try to heard the adds to one pack. And tell the docs to keep heling you, otherwise the adds kill weaker ppl from the raid.

Tanking Pande

- Team with fixer, and run your SL ess. Tell MA's that you dont want RI
    - Have Sold in team aswell for reflects, and keeper for auras. You basically need same buffs than in APF. Having engi special blockers is pretty nice btw, the Blue mobs shoot 5-7k full autos (not sure about refresh rate thou).
    - Mongo when the mobs come, and bit before the last is dead cast Rage. To have the 800+ RS. This way, when you move you can keep up with the group, and be there at once to mongo - thus preventing docs and squishy raidleaders from dying.
    - When you rush Zods (especially sides) up cocoon and trollform at the beginng of fight. There is practically always a move delay before the docs start healing after the rush, and in that time you can get ganked my the add mass. So up cocoon - and tell them to wait if its down, before the rush.
    - Dont assist caller on the bosses, keep on the Boss. (thx Kyai)
    - TNH is easy to tank same tactic as with the Side Zods.

Tanking The Beast

- Watch out for 1k Reflect shield. If you kill yourself to it uninstall AO
    - Watch out for the debuffing and buff removals.
    - Just mongo and challenger in the beginning of fight, hit perks in - build aggro. When adds come keep mongoing and stay focused on fighting the beast.
    - On beast, activate walk mode when you start fighting him, chances are you'll get warped and the spirit morph thing gives 1k RS debuff on top of your megamongo essence. Since docs generally stay at max range to avoid nukes and you get further away from them when warped it's in your best interest to get back into heal range asap. Walking will be faster than running. (thx Djurmamman)
    - Ninja Loot burden.

Anything to add or to correct please just say, ill update it. ANd of course people might have diffrent styles of doing things
    Last edited by Subbacow; Apr 2nd, 2006 at 16:59:34.
    Katyri 220 Neutral Enforcer 2nd Neutral 220 Enforcer on RK1! Proud President of Divine Retribution Recruitment!
    Allmerciful 219 Omni Doctor, Squad Commander of TETN
    Amaethon 177 Neutral Adventurer
    Extorsion 150 Neutral PVP-MP
    - Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter-accusations. -
    My work on Deviant art

Awesome guide.

Few minor additions:
    On biodome boss if you swap weapons, the docs can't heal you during the time you're re-equipping, remember this

In pande: Omni on RK2 usually have 2 tank teams, 1 main tank and 1 backup in case the main tank dies or LDs. If you are the backup tank, make sure you mongo at all times even if the main tank is fine, I see lots of people missing this crucial detail. It'll help when adds come running while main tank is in recharge, and should the main tank die/LD when you haven't mongoed, you aren't the backup tank, docs are. Generally a bad idea.

On beast, activate walk mode when you start fighting him, chances are you'll get warped and the spirit morph thing gives 1k RS debuff on top of your megamongo essence. Since docs generally stay at max range to avoid nukes and you get further away from them when warped it's in your best interest to get back into heal range asap. Walking will be faster than running.
    Mamman-_ 220/28 Enforcer Pretty!!
    Fluortanten 220/30 Soldier
    Pebble__.i_ 220/27 Shade
    Dogfood_._ 220/23 Agent

Paradise.

STATUS OF KYAI: Not breathing

Good stuff.

As far as mercs go Nelly is the only healer if I recall.

Oh and profs, STICKY!!!!
    Tykahndriuss 220/27 Enforcer Crap Equip
    Have you seen my stapler?
    Former Tank Monkey of CCI, DF, HUGE inc., Adrastus II - RK2

very good guide, should be pmed to all enfs;0

We likes!
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

You might want to add that for Zods/TNH/Beast, when you rush the zod you stop assisting and just go for broke on the zod itself, if you start assisting the Dteam will get aggro.

Also in pande I've noticed several times that if the fixer in your team lags during a zone and the runbuff times out (the SL runbuffs cycle with lots of ticks) it isn;t refreshed and so you may randomly be left with a massive snare, so make sure your fixer is awake and ready to recast speed. Also occasionally overzealous MAs will cast RI on you, thus nerfing your speed buff too

Otherwise a really nice guide
    Last edited by Kyai; Apr 1st, 2006 at 02:39:34.

Enjoying RK4

STATUS OF SKY: Not Falling

Gimp is a state of mind, nerfest is a state of being.

Xellent Guide! BUMP for STYKEE!!!!

Nice work! Compliments and sticky go go go!
    To all you Enforcers:
    You are the core of the team. You have an overwhelming presence, such that mobs never dare even look at your doc. In battle, you fall before your teammates do, and even then you alway give a good account of yourself to your foes. By excelling in crowd control, you make yourself a valuable tool to any team. Take a beating with a smile, tank with pride. Be faithful to the Enforcer's Creed: "Hugging reclaim, so that you don't have to."

Author of Fundamentals of Tanking

Emicrisis
    L220/23 Opifex Doctor Emislicer L220/20 Atrox Enforcer Emiphne L220/17 Solitus Shade

Quit game in Sept 07. Have fun, guys

I've met some enfs who need to read this. Remember playing mine back in the day when the only way to level was BS-Home team missions. Fight was a constant key-pressing fiesta between nano taunt, library of foul language, mongo (if no adds) and challenger. Be nice to see some of the power-leveling new enfs learn a few tricks of the lost art of proper Tanking.

Why SL ess for moving through pande/zods ?.... That made me smile.
    We're doing zods with like 1-2 teams on a regular basis, and I haven't ever felt the need to run SL ess. Note, only 2 docs for both teams...
    Let alone zerg raids where a nanomage NT with reset body dev can tank

But really, a great compilation of facts/tips.
    Papabear 'Prejudiced' Primakoff
    RK1 Clan Godfather

~ Made a career parallel to AO ~

I like to be on the safe side when tanking the Big raids. So i run SL Ess in pande. There is alot of heal delay because the lag is awful sometimes. As I said Im sure people have other styles than my style

Added stuff, thank you guys. Waiting for more
    Katyri 220 Neutral Enforcer 2nd Neutral 220 Enforcer on RK1! Proud President of Divine Retribution Recruitment!
    Allmerciful 219 Omni Doctor, Squad Commander of TETN
    Amaethon 177 Neutral Adventurer
    Extorsion 150 Neutral PVP-MP
    - Admit nothing, deny everything and make counter-accusations. -
    My work on Deviant art

I'm not sure how this fits in, but I'm really beginning to realise how much of a difference a good caller makes. A good caller in my view is one who switches targets at about 15-20% health, as well as staying close to me and having an intuition about which mobs to call in what order. Early switching also helps with aggro, as a head start seems to make a massive difference, even if it is only 1 or 2 hits. A crap caller will attack a mob with specials, miss mobs to call, rush ahead before all mobs are dead, will pull by shooting, and will not switch early. Having pauses between each mob allows other people to open their alphas before you on mobs, making holding aggro harder.

Anyhow, if you find a good caller, treasure them, because they will enhance your tanking ability.

Enjoying RK4

Excellent guide!

ANi.
    PLEASE, give use a simple YES or no answer as to whether or not the CoH chests can be opened

Please send a tell to the power-leveled enforcers with a link of this thread. Very helpful and insightful on tanking for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyai
    I'm not sure how this fits in, but I'm really beginning to realise how much of a difference a good caller makes. A good caller in my view is one who switches targets at about 15-20% health, as well as staying close to me and having an intuition about which mobs to call in what order. Early switching also helps with aggro, as a head start seems to make a massive difference, even if it is only 1 or 2 hits. A crap caller will attack a mob with specials, miss mobs to call, rush ahead before all mobs are dead, will pull by shooting, and will not switch early. Having pauses between each mob allows other people to open their alphas before you on mobs, making holding aggro harder.

Anyhow, if you find a good caller, treasure them, because they will enhance your tanking ability.

I quite agree Ky, some days theres just no substitute for getting the first couple of blows into a target.
    Kissysuzuki 220 - 24 - 60/70
    Minisuzuki 205 - 9 - 13/70
    Riders of the Lost Org

"Enforcers are being nibbled to death"

This is exactly what ive been looking for.

My enforcer is currently 126 and leveling steadily (whenever i need a break from the endless missions on my ma / soldier )

But i would like more information on perks, ive read dengs guide and that seems to list the viable options. What i would like is what are the beter choices, had talks with some enforcers and there seems to be some difference in opinion mainly of the the Trollform perk like.

Soooo what perk setups to get, when, where, and what level ranges would be much apreciated.

Good work again, will be a great help

Well the must have perklines for any tanking enf IMO would be this.

Bio Sheilding 10
    Genious 2
    Form of troll or colossal health (some prefer the healing perks, others prefer the ac,stun,aoe perk )
    Tykahndriuss 220/27 Enforcer Crap Equip
    Have you seen my stapler?
    Former Tank Monkey of CCI, DF, HUGE inc., Adrastus II - RK2

Quote Originally Posted by Tykahndriuss
    Well the must have perklines for any tanking enf IMO would be this.

Bio Sheilding 10
    Genious 2
    Form of troll or colossal health (some prefer the healing perks, others prefer the ac,stun,aoe perk )

The more you can heal, the longer you'll live ;p.

FoT also adds a fair amount of heal delta, so if you opt for CH then you are loosing a fair amount of healing-over-time. So weigh that up against the active heals from CH. Both are viable choices though.

Mutate is pretty damn cool too imo.

Enjoying RK4

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast