Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overequiping

Question Overequiping

Did you checked the loooong thread about overequiping and the proverbial solution that is scheduled ?
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

Thumbs up

Personal opinion a big thumbs up for it.

just me though, I self equip anyway.
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

Exclamation

Two main concerns :

The obvious

I am 76 and can self equip my Q118 hammer. If I stumble on a Q150 hammer that I can equip with wrangler, once the wrangler wears off and that my new hammer loose some of its dmges, will it be at least as good as my old ?

The very hard part

You realize that the system as it is proposed is great, but that FC has to really change mobs. I died yesterday at the feet of green human mob in mission, barely scratching him, when I can easily solo greens outdoors (Savage Panthers, Sylvabanes, Blubbags, ...). I don't feel confortable with such major tweakings I must confess.
    "Donner à des millions une connaissance de l'anglais, c'est les rendre esclaves". (Hind Swarâj, ch. 18)

does weapon effectiveness increase with skills that are higher than the reqs? i have not tested this out much.

if it does and weapon effectiveness decreases with lessening skills, can we expect to run into a situation where a lower ql weapon will actually be more effective than an overequipped on? interesting thought. if things turn out this way, it can have some heavy implications for the economy when ppl no longer want to go buy the uber'est weapon i found on the ql 500 mission i kicked butt in single handedly.

---

i hope they increase the balance of equipment before they implement the ip wipe. if they don't, we are likely to have a higher proportion of the population using the exact same 'best' template for their prof.

i hope they make the ip wipe mandatory. the ip wipe carrot might not be enough for some ppl that are still using equipment from past exploits.

EDIT

Doh! Realized that it was, in fact percentage of required skills, as opposed to % of QL.

Although one of the points I just erased :-) remain, and Thyrra makes it as well. Are we all going to be cookie cutters with exactly the same QL of equipment for our level?

Also, this is just going to make more people use the exploit (IMHO) of swapping implants for a higher one in the same slot, due to the fact that the checks are done BEFORE the old one is swapped out.

So, instead of my L9 with a 40 hammer running around, with QL20 implants, headcracker, etc, we will have a L9 with a 40 hammer, and QL70 implants, and no headcracker. They are actually going to be more powerful because they are going to have a higher attack rating than I did at L9 because of the botched implant system.

Scary thought.
    Last edited by Arinia; Dec 17th, 2001 at 16:40:57.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer
    Former Enforcer Professional
    Former President of the late Midnight Reveries
    Account Created: 2001-10-08; Account Expired: 2005-02-19

Worried....

Such major changes could either seriously improve the game or seriously ruin it.

I like the idea of less overequipping but there is already so little variety in the game. FC need to combine this with a serious look at the viability of a whole heap of weapons nobody wants. Armour too needs a look, right now for str/sta everybody wants omni something. When was the last time you saw someone deliberately trying to find chilled plasteel, vitos or metaplast? There should be specific advantages and disadvantages to each of these, not just a blanket omni-pol looks nicest and has best stats.

How will FC ever balance the reduction in monster nastiness with the reduction in peoples damage output? I dont see they can do it without creating a different set of winners and losers.

Still, wont worry me too much, I'm self equipped although I need challenger to equip my hammer but I could live with being slightly less effective with it or using a slightly lower QL one.

Exclamation It kinda already does that....

If your skill is at 300 and you have used challenger +wrangler +whatever to get you r weapon, HURRAY for you but you are going to miss alot of swings. Look at your attack rating. And watch next time you are out there hunting try equipting a weapon you can use with just general and maybe Thug (depending on weapon) and tell me if you hit more I garantee you will. I could be wearing my QL200 Rider Warblade right now but When I put it on I missed every 3rd swing or so. So I put my QL150 back on and POW I hit without a doubt every swing. Of course that was 15 levels ago and just 10 minutes ago I put my QL180 on so we will see...
    Christopher "CRITS" J00r

Sin-tek inc. (Recruiting VP)

Interesting point Crits.

Attack is massive

As crit pointed out it effects misses vs hits

It affects normal damage as a multiplyer of some kind

It affects crits (your attack vs their duck or whatever)
    I am Dnastyone Official Broom pusher for The Professionals
    Painmage my newest funnest guy
    PHEAR ME RK1 Yazule IMMMM BACK

I would have to say that this is an typicall example of how an flame should not look like. You need to think things through and calm down before you try to write an flame... Im sorry but I would rate this flame with an 1. Aggression is to high, grammar and cursing isnt to well planned... Maybe he has an point somewhere in there but I dont even want to find it. - Centurion3

ROFLOL

I am leery, but not entirely opposed..

Any major change like this is bound to be problematic. That is what I most fear.

I do not think that we, as enforcers, will have a big problem with this new set-up. I am 56, using a 100 hammer that I have been able to self-buff into since level 51 or so, and I just picked up Headcracker last night.

I have noticed the whole "missing" thing, Crits, and I am going to test that out for myself, tonight, as my attack rating is now higher than the reqs of my hammer (thanks to headcracker =D).

All in all, the change seems well thought out, but I understand how many are apprehensive. I was a trader, in a past life (=P), and I know i would've been somewhat unhappy about this change, then.

Just my thoughts.

-C

I tend to agree with crits.

I grew into my hammer tonight, and at L25 I can self equip the 40 (time for an upgrade :-) ).

I crit all over the place now, greens get hit for 200 regularly. It just seems better.

Before, I hit for a lot more, at times, but it seems like the damage swung more wild.

Maybe I'm on crack, who knows.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer

Question Crits...

Any news on the field research?

Of course that was 15 levels ago and just 10 minutes ago I put my QL180 on so we will see...
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer

uh oh.. this discussion makes me wonder

I got a ql200 hammer on when i was lvl80ish 82 i think...

But i have been seing alot of misses and didnt think it could be because of the skills... (thought a bug)

So after the patch downtime (which is ALWAYS when i have time to play GRRRR) i might go get a bit lower ql to selfbuff into.

if no feedback it worked and i am then uncapable of going here cause my busyness bashing clanners :P

---
    BrutalThug
    M.O.T.H.E.R

Exclamation Finding....

SO I used My QL180 for the last few days and It works nicely. I am only 100 short in 2H edge for the blade my attack rating it at 650 (which is nothing compared to hammers and beams I know) and I rarely miss. I did however just to see have a trader friend of mine cast the 132 Wrangler on me to get my QL200 blade on. I went out to EFP to try and use it and when I did hit (which was every 3rd swing or so) I was impressed but I didnt hit nearly as much as I did with the QL180 so for now I will stick with the QL180 until I make up that 100 in 2H edge
    Christopher "CRITS" J00r

Sin-tek inc. (Recruiting VP)

Interesting, Crits. I'll keep that in mind when deciding how bad to overequip.

Personally, I think that if FC did this, only a BIT more obviously, it would be a good solution to overequipping.
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer

The overequipping changes aren't scheduled.
    "By the way, if anyone here is in marketing or advertising: kill yourself." --Bill Hicks
    "Have we turned into gerbils? People are paying money to walk up invisible steps over and over again." --Dennis Leary

Actually, that was something I posted a while ago on one of the numerous over-equiping threads. Leave the min and high damage unchanged (they're part of the weapon). But downgrade attack skill (more misses) and crits. Makes sense, you're using a weapon you quite don't have the skills for. So, you can clumsily swing it around, if it hits, it does damage like a ton of bricks hitting you, but you're struggling with it, so almost no crits and some misses...
    So over-equipping becomes a tactical choice, with a tradeoff... And depend on what you fight. Do you want higher average damage? More crits? Fighting something with high evades? The trouble with over-equipping as of now is no tradeoff, it's only win-win. The only reasons not to over-equip are RP (like, liking to get your head off that warm helmet from time to time) or some specific use (like weapon switching)...

Hi Gummi,

Still curious.

Atriana.

/me sighs

I'm at lvl 82 and using beams! YAY! Last night my guild pal told that he has ql200 beam for me Now it's happily stacked in my bag waiting for few lvls Cant wait till i get it.

And I could also get buffs to use ql200 hammer now or could have had it few lvl's ago and still wouldnt brake the 20% rule.
    And after lvl100 or so you can still wield those ql200 stuffs with no penalties what so ever. You skills start to be so high that 20% is not meet.

I now have some research as well...

Arinia recently self-equipped a QL100 hammer at L37 with self buffs (much to my surprise).

So..... I'm blitzing a mission for a tear-soaked pillow with important stripes last night, because I was too lazy to fight it out, and I was tired. Mobs were green to orange(not a problem for me to kill at all), and it was way the hell out in stret east bank. Needless to say I did not want to run all the way back to 2ho.

So, I find the item, and then go in the big room, with at least 10 alpha male/alpha females on me. I have a real cool screenie of it that I can't get to right now. I figure, I'll try to fight it out, but most likely die, oh well, it will save me some time goign back to the city.

So, back on topic. I did not have headcracker running, or the gen buffs, because my NCU was full of my essence, a 26 NCU doc buff, etc :-). I used challenger to equip the hammer, and in normal circumstances, the 70 point deficit does not appear to make a difference, I hit 95%+ of my swings.

Without headcracker and the gen buff, I was missing a LOT. I definitely am subscribing to the crits school of "let's not use a wrangler and all that stuff". I mean cripes, a QL100 Hammer at L37 should be plenty! And it is.

I think I'm now a self-equipping convert. Now if I only had my flaming 2x4 to swap out with the hammer every other hit...
    Katelin Arinia Rhees
    Level 220 Enforcer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast