Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This time I mean it: Shotgun Soldier

I got a ql 45 pump trainee on my level 15 trader last night using only comps for ranged and a +46 wrangle, so it may be a viable option for you too.
    Tron04 220/30/60 Fixer
    Yrion 150/20/15 Crat
    Jasper2002 220/23/60 Nanomage Fixer
    Heelzjoo Baby Doc - still growing

The pump trainee is trader only, though...

I wonder if this will be met with as much resentment as the pistol soldier...
    Steveo 220 Clan NT RK2
    Contagion 220 Clan Doc RK2

Proud wielder of the Pitchfork of Satenia

Quote Originally Posted by Sidarion
    The pump trainee is trader only, though...
    Isnt there an equivalent to that for soldiers?

Hmm...

yes, but its not a shotgun... you mean the Master of Combustion... which is an AR or RE flamer... I used to have one back in the day on my main... pretty rare dyna drop.

And no: I don't think that my plan is going to meet with as much resentment as the cowboy soldiers. A pistol soldier might look awfully strange but actually pwns AR soldiers in TL7.

I will be sorely gimped throughout most of my career. It is just for sh*** and giggles I am doing this... and I think shotgun soldier has some style...

Gemme mah Mossberg!

Some trader did really really good damage with a fine smith shattergun and a kry'ozch machine pistol type 5 (level 215+). can't tell you off the top of my head if a FSS is trader only though.
    The Gimp:Dinnerfork
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetos
    I have this disturbing image of the US Army jumping one by one out of my cereal bowl

Low lvl equivalent is SOL SG-71 Robust. <--Dyna boss loot only

Since you do have SL expansin, you might want to look at Pocket Cannon as well.
    Last edited by cerb; Dec 22nd, 2005 at 00:57:21.
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

The SG Robust is an awesome weapon, defenitely worth looking into.
    Limefire, The Great White Hope

Wow... thanks for the advice! Does anyone happen to have this gun lying around in their gunrack and would be willing to sell it?

I think that was the best decision to go public with this project, so far I have received awesome feedback from all of you. Thank you for all your input!

Nice to see this project happening, it's refreshing.

I myself like to play toons just to play them, but to be uber in every regard. My short, skinny, female solitus enforcer for example. Or my pistol soldier, who at level 60 is already moved over to pistols (dual Kyr RE's). Will I be OD'd by a P.Blaster soldier, yep, most likely. But I honestly don't care.

Keep it up, will be interesting to see where this (omg you're not using a P.Blaster nerf) shotgun soldier goes in it's life.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidarion
    I will be sorely gimped throughout most of my career. It is just for sh*** and giggles I am doing this... and I think shotgun soldier has some style...
    I don't think you will be necessarily gimped. One advantage of shotties is you can use one that checks Chemical AC so you can pretty much pwn Hecklers in Ely/Adonis/Inferno. Chemical Shotguns include:

Braggadocios (use only at full agg)
    Kyr'Ozch Shotguns
    Lord of Greed (Pande drop tho)

Could also try these for fun when you have lots of +crit:

Premium Ultra-Light Missile Pistol Raid 9-X x2

Of course in Pen missions you might need to stick with Kyr'Ozch Shotguns or Maw of the Abyss for the min damage.

And Ithaca in PvP still rocks. An Ithaca non-crit AS is not much less than a Type 3 non-crit but obviously on crits the Ithaca does way more damage. And the specials are hardcapped 0.5s less. Too bad soldiers can't perk 10 in Shotgun Mastery like we should.

Aight... I guess its farming time for me...

Tonight, I will not be playing either Shottiesid or Muzzleloader (I made two shottie soldier... one Atrox for Diamondine and one Opi for Agi-Sense related Nano skillz and certain armors).

Its gonna be back to my gimpy but proud Cooperator Soldier main to fry 3 dozen dynas in the 40-50 range to see if I can net an SOL SG-70 Robust... or even better (*drum roll*) the wet dream SOL SG-71 Robust...

and then... let the twinking begin....

Still, should someone of you be willing to take mercy on poor me and sell me one of these babies sitting on your gunrack, feel free to post here...

Sid

Update!

Heyas fellow guntoting soljahs!

I had the chance to play quite a bit over the holidays and here is where my toon stands now:

Muzzleloader is now level 32 and rawking ToTW.

I got a Sol SG-71 Robust (really! the highest QL gun... with the nice mods) last Thursday off the Global Market Terminal for the ridiculously low price of 1 Million.

Figuring that the gun is just as rare as a Pump Master, this transaction was a real steal.

I spent levels 5-26 in the subway. I could have gotten the gun on at level 21 already but the lvl 25 cap on the Soldier Burst Buffs (Power Burst) prevented me from doing so.

I was using S.A. Secure Home Defenders from lvl 10 on... in the end I was dualwielding a lvl 40 with a lvl 32. The Dual wield req on these guns makes an insane jump in this level range so, lacking Multi Ranged buffs, I couldn't bridge the gap of over 60 missing points to dual wield QL 40ies.

I soloed the whole time in the subway, at level 23 I was able to solo Eumenides. When I got crushed by a n00b train at level 26 I got kicked out of the Subway and I gathered that it was time to do some shopping and get rid of the Medsuit I was wearing instead of armor until then.

By level 21, I had a 3 QL 50 implants from the professional implant section installed, focusing on Shotgun and primary stats. At level 26 I installed the rest of the QL 50 imps, drawing them from different profession booths as the soldier implant set is worthless for a shotgun soldier (primarily Crat, Mp and Adventurer imps).

With a small wrangle (for 16 points) I equipped the Sol SG 71 yesterday at lvl 26. I then bought some random QL 44 Str/Agi based armor (I am Opifex, so that setup plays into my hand). Mostly Omni Pol Forest and Heated Plasteel. I am currently scouring the market channels for a QL 55 Set of Carbonum plate.

With that done I headed to ToTW to test out my new Shottie...

Oh boy, does this thing pwn.

I was ODing level 34 enfos and a lvl 36 Soldier with a Div 9 at lvl 26 EASY! The gun is wicked... averaging on regular hits in the mid to high 100s... around 150 on average, bursts for 270-350 and critting for 279 at a fairly regular rate.

I breezed through 6 levels in no time... taking on lvl 34 mobs solo at lvl 27... thats some fast XP right there.

The implant orgy was the right thing early on... here are my current stats:

Shotgun skill (with generic buff): 257
    Burst: 198
    Fling at 112 (to preserve IPs)
    Agility (buffed) 140
    Str: 123
    Sta: 112

I can cast Composite Expertises now, TMS II, the second Mirror Shield, Quickshot, and small Damage buff. In the subway I made great use of the "Sloth" nano, a Duck Explosives debuff to further boost damage by a few points.

I figure that the gun will last me for anothe 10-12 levels before I outgrow it. I am not sure as to the alternatives yet as most Shotties have a Minimum damage of 1, which will screw up my damage again.

I am currently hunting for the Dark memories and the belt. Currently I have 52 NCU on a 3 slot belt.

Thats it for now... as I said, keep the suggestions coming.

And so far, this project has been great fun. People asking me in TOTW all the time what the heck I am using. I got laughed at a couple of times when I said that I am playing a shotgun soldier. "Gimp" was one of the nicer words I heard... it sure felt good to shove these words right back down their throats as soon as I let the gun speak for itself.

Sid

I've had a shotgun soldier for awhile now... but haven't leveled past 25 :P

good luck to you, makes me want to go level mine now :S
    Nuggets "Kebla" Chucker Solitus Keeper (retired)
    Reverend "Kable" Master Solitus Agent (retired)
    and so ends this chapter...

You might want to use a Preditor Circlet instead of a Crep Skinchip, since you don't get the +1 crit on the skinchip until higher QLs with fairly tough equip mods.
    Aratink 220/30 Fixer
    Proud General of Dark Front
    Clanslator
    Quote Originally Posted by Kijomimi
    See? It all starts with you doing something stupid. Maybe if you were not so stupid, you would have less problems.

Thank you for the tip...

I think the lowest QL Artillery Crepuscule Skinchip that gives a crit bonus is 150... I have looked that up once.

300 in sense is no problem (I play an Opi) and TL 3 minimum req is nice too...

After having reviewed everything I think that most Crit inc. items will only come into play after I hit lvl 100 - 130. GoC comes to mind, not speaking of the Pande loot that goes into the Util slots... I will have to do a lot of aliumz raids to get my hands on a viral scope... sadly its nodrop.

Happy New Year btw.

Sid

hiya, enjoyed the thread. good you found the robust, as i was about to suggest it i was thinking a dualwield setup might be fun as the biggest problem is the lack of specials on shotties.
    i would probably recommend going trox as the DKPs are a good option (possibly with an offhand pistol) e.g. DKP/Jobe pistol as an option?
    or
    Eye wind one hander for AS?
    Home defenders are decent (no specials)
    also look at

OT police

which seeem ok (but with slow burst)
    Last edited by fhinn; Dec 30th, 2005 at 17:48:23.
    'Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.'

Fhinn, TL7 Neutral Gunslinger // Countinn, TL5 Neutral Trader
    Sleekitt TL5 Clan Fixer

Shattered Dreams, of ye olde RK2 Recruitment thread

I am currently levelling my Opifex Soldier (I know that will get me some raised eyebrows)... Once I have him at around lvl 100 and see how he is doing, I am gonna start playing around with Shottiesid (an Atrox Shotgun soldier alt) who is currently still sitting in the Alien Backyard at lvl 4). He will go the DKP route eventually just to have some comparison.

I plan on going Maw of the Abyss lateron with the Opi toon.

Actually, for shotguns, Opi is not a bad choice. I have come up with an Implant setup that relies entirely on Agi as its only req, so I will definitely be able to get higher QL imps in earlier than with my Solitus main.

Another thing:

Strength are the same on Opi and Soli, Opi is better in Agi... most of the Armor I have used throughout the life of my main was dependent on Str and Agi... and I ALWAYS had trouble meeting the Agi req... that problem should solve itself with opi.

Also, Burst and Shotgun are dependent to 60% on Agi, if I am not mistaken which makes for a nicer trickle-down effect.

I don't really miss the few extra hp since Soldiers are not really all that great in soloing PVM (at least in SL) anyway. Plus, there is tons of HP+ items out there, so you can always at least compensate a bit.

Nice news.

I am kinda stuck with my Ranged Energy nanomage soldier, will be making Kaetans Supernovas.
    Cerber - MA Bruiser

Baboone - Portable Deathstar

Dukatus - Choppah

Update No 2

A quick update on how things are standing with Muzzleloader:

After a weekend of playing, here the stats:

Current level: 41

I have now a full set of QL 75 implants equipped. Since I didn't know what to do with my lvl 30 and lvl 40 perk points, I have dumped them into DNA Enhancement for the time being, making equipping implants a real breeze.

After the implants, I bought a full set of QL 70 Carb armor from a friendly engi at a really cool price (Thank you again, Drakosur (sp?)) and transfered some Omnifiers from my main to little Muzzleloader.

Before I did that, I blitzed myself a full set of QL 55 Omni-Pol Forest armor, replacing my QL 45ish Heated Plasteel. I want to save creds as much as possible and frankly, the old standard armor sets are not all that much worse compared to the tradeskilled ones. I have nothing against wearing Flowers Tech, Nomad, plasteel or Omni-Pol armors. At the very least, I am looking more individualistic than 90% of the clones out there.

Anyway, since I got that really good offer from that engi, I decided to buy Carb at lvl 40.

Equipping the QL 70 set was a no-brainer with Essence, it is now fully "omnified", which in itself is very nice.

Since my last update, I have first been hanging around ToTW until level 37. During my forays I enlisted the help of a very friendly lvl 60 clan soldier who tanked Lien for me, getting me a dark memory and a memory loop. I have the circuit board, which I looted from GoT for free since the happy campers obviously were after GoT Tank, only. I haven't equipped it yet, but will come to that in one or two levels.

Other ToTW loot I got is an exarch robe, Notum and Platinum ring and withered flesh. My question: Is there any other loot in ToTW, besides the tank armor, that is of interest to my soldier? I would need your input on this.

Anyway, I currently pack 117 NCU with the memories, the Carb armor and the rings. More than enough for my current needs. Since Lien is not that camped, I am gonna stock up on Memory Loops there as they grant awesome NCU for the req.

I am really hurting IP-wise. The end of TL 2 is a total pain when it comes to IP. I have to focus on raising a maximum of 4 skills before Ip run out every level.

I still use the shottie I equipped at level 26. It does a steady damage of 180 now with the odd hit in the low 200s and crits for 330. Bursts range from 450 to 600 which is nice.

It is still fine in solo missions, of which I have done around 7 in the past two days. Mainly for levelling up at a steady pace and to gain tokens. I have the 3 dot token board now since I spent 7 veteran points for 50 tokens, which is nice.

I still have 7 VP left so I guess I am going to invest them in another 50 tokens, so I will have the TL 3 board availiable as soon as I hit level 50.

I guess I will be hitting TL 3 this week. I already have an application filed for the venerable Omni-Pol department. I hope I'll get accepted...

As always, any suggestions are welcome...

Sid

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast