Thread: Fix Roots!

Re: Re: Re: IMHO...

Originally posted by Demona66

Read again my post before you replay

You completly missed the point.
    Well if your point was:

A LOT OF NANO - 386n vs "a little nano"- 25n

then you missed my point.

As for your point on changing roots to take in account that something more advanced then the "50% chance to break" rule, i'd agree. As long as it makes "spam rooting" more nano expensive then it is now.

Talking

I use flow of time more often then not

here

while you at it FC give enforcers, Advs, and MAs some roots, so they can keep the victim from escaping into mort, or that backyard behind the arena!!

HELL no! i wanna break roots, any ranged root class would be instant grandmaster with unbreakable roots

Arrow Some thoughts...

Originally posted by Tomtemor
    HELL no! i wanna break roots, any ranged root class would be instant grandmaster with unbreakable roots
    You still would be able to but the cost vs reward should be looked at.

Right now its possible to break Roots with general inexpertise nanos and thatway the higher QL nanos (which cost more nano to cast) arent iven used.

My idea would be to make Roots loose some of the duration when the person affected takes damage / debuff. That would make higher ql nanos usefull, and if someone would insist on using a low ql Root he could expect it to break after the first hit.

Just my 2 cents, but this needs some work from the designers

Ps. Another idea would be a general nano to break roots which has a increased casting time / cost / damage to balance it with the roots casted.

A little idea on roots....

I think it would be more balanced if the roots, and the succes of them, were dependent on the lvl of ur oppenent....

Here goes:

For every ql the nano is lower than the oppenents (other ppl) lvl, it will have a 1% risk of failure.

So if u use a ql 7 root on a lvl 200 soldier i.e, that would mean the root has 193% risk of failure = won't stick.

Of course this will be a root nerf, since I assume that no classes have a ql 200 root. But like u can never count on critting, doing max dmg or whatever, nor should u be able to count on ur root to always stick.

Lets take an example, the agent:

The highest root is ql 165, which means against a lvl 200 ppl he would have 35% risk of failure, plus this nano costs 643 nano to cast. Therefore chain rooting will be out of the question.

I don't think this will make the melee classes way uber, well at least not compared to the advantage the rooting classes have now. Lets say an agent has 2700 nano (low set) he can root the enf 100 times with lowest root (detain suspect), where as he can only root 4 times with the highest.

I didnt read it all but how about make it like it was in beta. No not Perm Rooting(That was Fun LoL). However PvM if someone roots a mob then team hits mob 1 time each it shouldnt break the root but however should make it more like a snare where mob can move but very slowly then with the more hits(dmg) the mobs becomes faster and faster untill finally dmged enough to break it. In PvP I agree make it so roots can not be broken but give all melee classes at any lvl some type of nano to be able to break the root since Melee vs Ranged(Rooter) is almost impossible.

I think all it should be is a nano pool issue, roots should work just fine until damage is taken. Incompetences should never break roots. Something must be done to make people use the correct QL for their level so it eats as much nano as it's supposed to.

Arrow

Someone said all calms are the same except cost, duration etc. Well, yes, but in PvM duration can be pretty important... And as calms don't work in PvP...

As for roots, roots should have an attack rating cap, maybe 50% over the minimum attack rating needed to cast the root. So you could still cast a lower root, but it would be more likely to be resisted. It still isn't ideal in a cost/benefit sense, but would be an improvement.

My input

I'm not sure resist is really broken, I think its more of a perception problem. Many people think if they MAX their resist that no spells will work on them...or even the majority of spells won't work on them. This is a pretty stupid expectation. It would be like having evades cause the attack the evade was for to miss all the time. So when comparing a defense to an attack, apply it to all attacks and defenses and see if you would like those rules.

With that said....

Certain melee classes such as the martial artists have a low requirement on concealment. Thus obviously they are suppose to sneak up on people and unload. They don't have a defense for the root other than not being seen. But again with the huge melee range, dimach, shen, brawl and high crits...many casters go plop in about 2 seconds.

The enforcer has a nano that makes his speed +300 and breaks a root. So they have a defense also.

Doctors just take the damage and heal and lower inits, such that getting the next root off can be a problem. So he can survive roots as well.

Soldiers, Agents, traders, fixers,meta-physisct, beuracrats all can shoot back so no problem here.

So, I think the game is pretty well balanced IF they fix:

1.) concealment
    2.) roots (not breaking when they are not suppose to.)
    3.) Insert a few lower level (less effective) root breakers for the enforcer.

Thanks

P.S. Yeah I know I'm stupid so save your breath!

Darkbane, my point was that the nanos benefit from higher nano skills, so that the root and calm qls have the same chance of resistance regards the actual level of the nano program. If a nano in a series is higher in terms of skills and nano cost, it should be more effective. Your cap idea seems nice, but I'm loathe to suggest what would be a 'nerf'... but... ugh, not too found of those unless it's really, really called for.

I also seem to recall that FC was planning on having calms have some sort of debuff effect in PvP breaking on the first hit or something close to it, did that get lost somewhere?

But I do feel something must be done.

And Pleaseno, MAs simply have fairly cheap conceal, not low requirements for it.
    Perfection breeds weakness.

Obergeist-Burning bright, Above the head ghost

Mdgprogram-Fearful symmetry <---beat the every lovin' crap out of a level 60 soldier at 49

Stronger, better, faster, push it

The Troll Corps want you!tm
    General in the Troll Corps tm

Arrow

Don't think of it as a nerf, cause it isn't really. Its fixing something that is not as balanced as it should be. Of course, they should also fix the debuff breaking root, at least whilst in combat.

I wouln't think of it as a nerf myself, since I don't have rooting professions lol. I can understand people getting annoyed about it though. Would help if the did all three on the same patch(fixing nano resist, breaking debuffs with incomp nanos, and using lower ql roots to root a greater opponet). Just fixing one issue makes the rest much more pronouced. Doing the above three should do the trick. Hopefully.

Of course, using a root to escape will be much easier, but, isn't that the whole point of roots?
    Perfection breeds weakness.

Obergeist-Burning bright, Above the head ghost

Mdgprogram-Fearful symmetry <---beat the every lovin' crap out of a level 60 soldier at 49

Stronger, better, faster, push it

The Troll Corps want you!tm
    General in the Troll Corps tm

Actually, I believe that incompetence breaking roots is an exploit by design. High Ql roots are very hard to break with incompetences.

Usually, in missions, when rooted with a high quality-level root, it takes 20+ tries to get rid of it.

You just don't notice this if you were to use a high ql root, because you taking damage leads to the root breaking at about the same rate as a low quality one. Since you figure they'll break it with incompetence anyway, you are attacking then with your weapon causing it to break and look like incompetence works.

If you are a rooting class, try it. Cast a low ql root, break it, and then a high quality root, and break it. The high quality root takes a long time to break.
    ~Chris

Exclamation On the list

Adding rooting issues to the list of issues to look into. Will post news in the Community Corner when I have it.

Talking

Originally posted by Mor
    Fix it so someone can't cast a ql7 root over and over on a level 200 without wasting much nano.

Also roots work against melee to well when ranged is just as much damage and you get fling, burst, full auto, aimed shot... If anything make root break on first hit too. k Thx.

I like this idea it is a very good one FC you should put this in the next patch. And I know someone is gunna complain and say its crap. Answer to that is cast the root again. FC also can you please make Nano Resist work.

Arrow ...

Originally posted by Monkey412
    FC also can you please make Nano Resist work.
    Nano Resist works... but how can you expect to counter 900 nano skills with 600 resist?

It the same situation as with Evades.

The only fix I see in this situation is to make nano resist decrease the duration of hostile nanos.

Demona66

Cool just a thought

Im not sure many of you guys play melee classes, but i would like to add this into the discussion. The guys who i can see complaining about roots beeing broken that way are NT's (maybe they actually can use last word for something), Agents and Crats.

But come to think of it a fixer i cant even hit can still root me outrun me and grid (if i cant shen him). A trader would deprive me to hell and back, a meta would just run a nanoshutdown on me and have his belamorte healing him, and a doc would heal as much as he ever needed.

And yes lets give the big enf a way to break roots by design not that 10k selfbuffed hp and a crush has anything to say.

Yes i think roots would be the first thing i would take a look at when it comes to balancing pvp

Bracers begone and while youre at it make the soldier relfect self
    only

Cyberbob 161 ma

Funcom just needs to fix nano resist and maybe add somthing for a hud slot or to a deck that uses some unused skill to break roots
    Something like that... I remember the days when you couldnt break roots and one full auto aimshot nuke dimach could kill ya and let me tell ya that game sucked really really bad. LOL or when agents could attack ya from what seems to be 100000000 miles away....ever time I sit and think how much this game needs fixed all I have to do is remember the days before RK2....You was really lucky to even get the game running on your PC...Who knows how many returns there was all I remember is that in my area there was a warning that if you paid for AO you could not return it...so the risk was yours. So I know the feeling im still pissed off about some of the parts of the game I didnt find out untill it was way to late things they should of told to us in the manual or on there web sight. But no matter how slow funcom has been to fixing things they are making progress. Ill give them untill there expansion to get there feet on the ground even though they rushed a game to market that was in no way finished balanced or fair. If it is still totally unbalanced Ill have to go that will be a tuff day. I love the concept of the game and many of there ideas. But if a game sucks it sucks and thats from a guy who has played it alot for a long time. Who knows what I was thinking I just thought for sure they would fix it...Just playing hoping Waiting for that patch that didnt make my char super human but didnt make someone elses either... Its been a long time now and I dont think they have the ablity to do it but I guess we will see in Dec of this year.

Eunucha 188 Doc Rk2

Nano Res works, but not too well IMO. IF someone with nano res of 600, why would a ql 7 root still able to root him???
    I support the idea that IF FC is going to "fix" it so that debuffs won't break root, then make it so that a person with extremly high nano res unrootable by low ql roots.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast