Thread: Q: What % QL of a cluster lower than implant?

Q: What % QL of a cluster lower than implant?

What percent lower QL of a cluster can you use in an implant? Example, if you have a QL 100 implant what is the lowest QL cluster you can put in it? Despite what everyone tells me on OOC you can go below. I'm sure it's a percentage. Anyone know?

I think it's 85%.

Pretty easy to figure out, however. Get an implant of appreciatively high level, buy the lowest-level cluster you can find, and try combining it. The required QL of the part should pop up as an error-message, and it's simple to do the math from there.
    -Ward 'Kzak' Hereda, Clan L220, AL15 'Competent' Supreme Creator on Rubi-Ka 1. Equipment setup.

Life is like a box of chocolates. Except, you know, the brown stuff in the box? That's not chocolate.

Doing his part to make the world a more interesting place since December 2001.. but not any more. Account cancelled, playable until 2006-11-13 19:25:49. See you in Age of Conan!

ummm....

I have always been able to combine clusters that were 10% lower with no problems...ie:ql90 cluster in ql100 implant

Arrow

Shining requires slightly higher than bright which requires slightly higher than faded.

I'm a bit fuzzy, but IIRC, a ql200 needs a 171+ shining, a 170+ bright and a 168+ faded.

I'm way too lazy to log on, get a blank implant, and buy ql5 clusters to read the message "a qlXXX implant requires the cluster to be at least qlYYY". You're welcome to try though.
    mercatura -ae f. [trade, traffic; merchandise]

Moved off-world and found real tradeskills...along with many other things

If I put ql170 clusters into a ql200 basic limb, what quality would the finished implant be? Would it still be 200?

Thanks in advance.

Cheba

Principally yes, but

the result depends on several factors, which I only have soft knowledge about.

1) Determining is the implant and not the cluster!

but

2) You can (slightly) increase the ql of the implant with 'overclocking' (higher ql cluster than the implant). So if you start out with a ql90 implant and use a ql125 faded, a ql100 bright and a ql85 shining cluster you might end with a ql92/93 implant (never got 93 but a lot of 92s).

! Be careful while buying lower level clusters, put the lowest one in first !

3) The probability is influenced by your skill. If you have (a lot ?) more skill than necessary to put a cluster and implant together, the chance increases that you raise the ql while assembling. (Same mechanism works for monster parts)

Everybody with more solid knowledge is encouraged to correct or complete this info.

Hope this helps.

Vermeer
    100% curious

For QL200s the least quality of clusters you can put in:
    Faded - 164
    Bright - 168
    Shining - 172

Thanks for the advice guys.

So the simple rule of thumb would be to keep within 86% (or maybe even 85% as Kzak states) of the limb to keep the implant level at maximum.

And here's me always buying clusters that are higher than the limb (and yes getting a slight increase in level).

Oh yes, and is it true that ql196 implants become ql200, or are as good as ql200 implants? Someone was selling them on exchange and used the same price as they were the same?

I'm getting lots of ql200 limbs these days, so I'll start saving them and when I'm high enough I can equip them.

Talking of which, is there anyone out there (probably a fixer) who wants ql200 limbs with junk (or maybe not) in who would take them off my hands to sell as basic limbs?

I'm not so much after the money, I'm more after a good chap who I can work up a level of trust/respect/friendship so that I don't have to bother with tipping so much. I prefer to work on favours then credits. If I *give* him something he can use, he'll do me a favour and put together a limb for me when I need it. Something like that, nice, simple and friendly. Know any high level bods that like that approach?

Cheba

shining max. 14% lower than imp (imp ql100 , cluster min ql86)
    bright 16%
    faded 18%
    Atlantean :
    Caller "Edmunster" Supreme 220/20 Soldier
    Fumble "Maddiganed" Countered 220/21 NT

Testlive infos

For the "overclocking" of an implant it checks the creator's skill not the cluster ql. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are but I can take a ql 198 implant, insert a ql 190 cluster and make the resulting implant ql 200 if my np skill is high enough.

Originally posted by RVWinkle
    For the "overclocking" of an implant it checks the creator's skill not the cluster ql. I'm not sure what the exact numbers are but I can take a ql 198 implant, insert a ql 190 cluster and make the resulting implant ql 200 if my np skill is high enough.
    It gets a little close... but it's possible to stick a QL195 implant up to 200.

QL196 is a better level to chose as the increase is pretty much guarenteed with 3 clusters installed.

On raising the QL of implants. For implants this high level the shining cluster will *probably* not result in any increase.

The Bright cluster should result in an increase of 1 - 2 levels.

The Faded cluster should result in an increase of 2 - 3 levels.

The level increases are based around the skill needed to install the particular cluster, ie Faded clusters need a lot less skill than shining clusters.

Please not that I have run into a couple of clusters for Chest implants that require way above normal NP to install. Shining clusters (of Nano Pool I believe) seem to be obscenely hard. I have built a QL172 Chest implant that required 1034NP to install the shining cluster and a QL200 Chest (which I couldn't build) which required 1200NP. However I have spoken to a GM regarding this and hopefully it is a bug that will be fixed.

NP skill defines whether the increase will happen or not. I personally have 1050NP self buffed and 1142 with an MP buff.
    Last edited by Highorbit; Aug 8th, 2002 at 11:27:45.
    Highorbit - Supreme Creator - Atlantean - 205 - Armour
    Andrele - Sorcerer - Atlantean
    Simarion - General - Atlantean - 200
    Zendia - Doctor - Atlantean
    Roanna - Preserver - Atlantean
    Littleorbit - Priest - Atlantean

Shameless Self Advertising: Engineer Guide