Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Duel Logging - Illegal or Not?

Re: Re: Re: This is getting funny

Originally posted by Revolutionary

There is the real issue...FC doesn't give a sh*t about anything except getting every single cent they can (and obviously by the way they treat customers...they just want it now and aren't even looking to the future). FC doesn't care who pays for the account, or really even who uses that account, they just don't want more than one person using the same account, if that happens, they lose money.

AO, DAoC, EQ, UO, WW2 Online, Motor City Online and Lineage all share the same policy.
    The CC holder holder does not have to be the same person as the account holder.

It's the same with any service. The service provider is not required to perform due diligence on the validity of every payment is receives for it's services. That responsibility falls to the credit card company.

Originally posted by Nazu
    Uhhhh no. Have you ever played an online game before Rev?

What FC doesn't want a thousand phone calls and emails to their CS dept from pissed off account holders about how someone else who had access to their account messed with their characters or deleted items x, y and z or got an offical warning for trying to exploit or changed their password or (fill in the blank).

Were it not for those kinds of complaints, I'm sure FC wouldn't give a rip about who played on your account.
    Actually...this is my first online game...and will eventually be my last. Ah...if FC only had a phone number you could call to resolve billing issues. But guess what, they don't. When I opened my account in September of 2001, I had a serious issue with my credit card...to the point of FC biling me for 6 months service, 7 times, when all I wanted was 1 month to try the game out.

I'm not sure what you're talking about Nazu, I'm aware that FC doesn't want that headache, but all I said is they don't care about who uses the account (with permission).
    Princess"Lashleigh" Tabledancer - Unit member of Nirvana

Yes, I had my own fan club. Behold the power of spam....

FC doesn't give a sh*t about anything except getting every single cent they can...........they just don't want more than one person using the same account, if that happens, they lose money.
    Thats the quote I'm addressing Rev. It's not all about the money. It's about the never ending parade of people who will be lining up to say that their account was damaged by someone other then the account holder and they want FC to fix it for them.

Every game have I've ever played has had the same policy, not just Funcom.

Originally posted by Nazu

Thats the quote I'm addressing Rev. It's not all about the money. It's about the never ending parade of people who will be lining up to say that their account was damaged by someone other then the account holder and they want FC to fix it for them.

Every game have I've ever played has had the same policy, not just Funcom.
    Ah, I see the point you are making. But regardless of that policy...it IS still all about the money. Everything FC, or any other company in world does, is all about the money. If it wasn't, there wouldnt' be monthly fees.
    Princess"Lashleigh" Tabledancer - Unit member of Nirvana

Yes, I had my own fan club. Behold the power of spam....

Even though I've pushed "I agree" on the EULA and I'm *not* sharing my account with anyone, I must say that I find this particular part of the EULA utterly out of it.

If I decide to share my account with my husband, brother, sister, mother, best friend or *whoever* that should be my and *only my* responsibility.
    Likewise if that person then does something that gets my account banned, like use an exploit or some such, tough .... should think twice before sharing such sensitive data with someone else.

I understand that - if someone shares their account - then reimbursement issues can get tricky.
    And if someone looses their precious Yalm or whatever because *whoever* deleted it, tough, no reimbursement then.

BUT another thing is this: how are you even going to *know* that someone else logged into a certain account? Logging from a different IP is no proof whatsoever, since in many, many cases a new IP is assigned randomly each time you connect to the net. Only few ppl have a static IP. (This goes for Germany anyway, don't know about other countries). Moreover even in case of static IPs who says I'm not visiting my friend and logging *my* account from *their* IP.

I'd really like to see an account getting banned *just* for being logged from 2 different IPs.
    Unless there are other issues (like chars or stuff deleted, "hacked account accusals", exploits used and the like) I'm willing to bet that no account was or will ever be banned.

I'm sure GMs can see what characters an account has, and then just check whether two of those characters are logged in. So catching someone in the act wouldn't be hard. Dunno about logging.

Don't /petition while you're dual-logging

Originally posted by Spacegipsy
    Even though I've pushed "I agree" on the EULA and I'm *not* sharing my account with anyone, I must say that I find this particular part of the EULA utterly out of it.

If I decide to share my account with my husband, brother, sister, mother, best friend or *whoever* that should be my and *only my* responsibility.
    Likewise if that person then does something that gets my account banned, like use an exploit or some such, tough .... should think twice before sharing such sensitive data with someone else.

I understand that - if someone shares their account - then reimbursement issues can get tricky.
    And if someone looses their precious Yalm or whatever because *whoever* deleted it, tough, no reimbursement then.

BUT another thing is this: how are you even going to *know* that someone else logged into a certain account? Logging from a different IP is no proof whatsoever, since in many, many cases a new IP is assigned randomly each time you connect to the net. Only few ppl have a static IP. (This goes for Germany anyway, don't know about other countries). Moreover even in case of static IPs who says I'm not visiting my friend and logging *my* account from *their* IP.

I'd really like to see an account getting banned *just* for being logged from 2 different IPs.
    Unless there are other issues (like chars or stuff deleted, "hacked account accusals", exploits used and the like) I'm willing to bet that no account was or will ever be banned.

Is was stated by either Cz or Cosmik, that they are not actively policing the 'account sharing' policy.

It's possible that 2 people could share an account indefinately... just so long as they don't both log in at the same time and if they don't 'advertise' that they are sharing.

However, if a situation arises where items are stolen, accounts are hacked or players are exploiting, it's possible that a shared account will come under scrutiny.

It's common sense, basically.

You're right that unless someone does something really stupid, nobody will probably every get banned for account sharing.

Lets say I have two computers, and I want to participate in a event on rk2 aswell as help someone on rk1 with a character there.

Can I log in my character on rk1, as well as log in my character on rk2 at the same time? there are no way they could exploit this.?
    Apprentice Frakk // MA - Rk1 - Stuff - Quote
    Sunye // Doc - Rk1 - Quote
    Rookie Frakk2000 // MA - Rk2
    Freshman Frakked // Soldier - Rk2
    Apprentice Frakk2001 // Doc - Rk2

Frakk2000's guide to twinking -> link <-
    Adventures of Frakkman
    BondeLAN.org
    Overpowered since 15.0 - MA forever!

Originally posted by Frakk2000
    Lets say I have two computers, and I want to participate in a event on rk2 aswell as help someone on rk1 with a character there.

Can I log in my character on rk1, as well as log in my character on rk2 at the same time? there are no way they could exploit this.?

Lets say I want to drive 180kph in a 100kph zone.

If there are no cops on the highway to clock me doing 80 kilometers over the limit am I still breaking the law?

Lets say I want to rob a liquor store.

If I don't get caught is it still illegal?

HEHE

Only reason I dual log is to transfer stuffs fix so I can send mails to my alts or other players with items and cash and I wont dual log

Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.
    - Homer J Simpson

Homer: Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get through this thing and then
    I can continue killing you with beer.
    Homer's Brain: It's a deal!

Originally posted by Miir

Lets say I want to drive 180kph in a 100kph zone.

If there are no cops on the highway to clock me doing 80 kilometers over the limit am I still breaking the law?

Lets say I want to rob a liquor store.

If I don't get caught is it still illegal?
    I think you misunderstood. Driving two cars in 80 on two diffrent roads is not illeagal. Just difficult, or near to impossible.
    Last edited by Frakk2000; Aug 27th, 2002 at 02:36:44.
    Apprentice Frakk // MA - Rk1 - Stuff - Quote
    Sunye // Doc - Rk1 - Quote
    Rookie Frakk2000 // MA - Rk2
    Freshman Frakked // Soldier - Rk2
    Apprentice Frakk2001 // Doc - Rk2

Frakk2000's guide to twinking -> link <-
    Adventures of Frakkman
    BondeLAN.org
    Overpowered since 15.0 - MA forever!

Talking HEHHEHEHE

I think you misunderstood. Driving two cars in 80 on two diffrent roads is not the illeagal. Just difficult, or near to impossible.

220 Dictator & Adept
    220 Field Marshal & Talented
    216 Eternalist & Adept
    204 Saint & Intermediate

--Total Levels Gained--
    Rubi-Ka: 2000+ | Shadow: 50+ | Alien: 40+ | Very old Member of the Grumpy Old Crat Bunch

Talking

Wouldnt it be driving two seperate cars on two entirely different roads but speeding in both of them?

Hmm.. So dualling is classed as an exploit. I believe the official FC description of an exploit is along the lines of "obtaining an edge that is above and beyond what is normally possible, therefore gaining an unfair advantage" (completely different wording!). Dual logging is only ever used, AFAIK, for item transfer. In my opinion this is not exploiting, it is removing the need to use other peoples' time and trusting people you do not know.

I do beleive that anyone who duals on 2 machines so that 2 people can play simultaneously, or 1 person can powerlevel (using an exploit, a REAL one) is bad and should be stopped. I hope that, until this is fixed and cast in iron, that the GM's would only "allow" dualling for up to 5 minutes at a time, no longer. That is plenty of time for item transfer/buffs and not enough time for real exploiting and server loads to increase dramatically.

Please note: in none of the above observations did I state that I partake in dual logging. Bloody hell, I sound like a lawyer now!

Solution to having 2 accounts where you want to share with your spouse: be a little "grey" in the users' name registration. There is then no legal problem, especially if you are married
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Exclamation ITS TRUE!

What FC is saying is true!

I got arrested for tearing the tag off of my mattress!

No way will I take a chance and let my girlfriend use my account:/
    Kodiene
    Founding member of P.E.T.A.
    People for the Ethical Treatment of Atrox's
    PAINKILLR
    Mercenaries of Kai

"I personally think nerfs are death in an emergency patch. It is very cool to admit that there are a lot of things we can do boring, very boring in-game. Your input is being adjusted in some Fouls. I want to especially thank the players who WILL die.
    Have Fun! And I'll be seeing you online
    jonhelgi, designer - AO"

Ok then. how about this....

Its not really just me logged into two accounts (one mine, one my friends). My friend is really sitting right next to me sharing computer time. when my char is active, i am at the keyboard. When the other active, my (make believe) friend is at the keyboard. Two accounts, owned by seperate people, running on the same computer at the same time. Yes, rediculous. BUT, possible. Is there any way to disprove this if confronted? I dont think so. So how can this be enforced? I'm sure there are holes in this line of thinking. Let me know what you come up with.

Edit: I have at no time dual logged, by either logging two chars on one account or two chars on seperate accounts. I am merely playing devils advocate and please oh please dont take my fun away.
    Last edited by Jellobiafra; Sep 7th, 2002 at 01:45:18.
    Jellobiafra General of First Order
    First Order-Cleaning clanners since 29210
    Visit our website to join!!

Arrow

If you use 2 accounts, then there is no problem provided they are both yours. If you use one account to log 2 chars, then that is against the terms of service, not an exploit. Basically you have to have *paid* the monthly service charge for each character you want to log on as, with the added complication that these characters cannot be attached to the same account.

Originally posted by PipSlag (aka PipBoy)
    2. To play the Game, you must (a) possess an ANARCHY ONLINE game CD-ROM (the "CD-ROM"), which includes software required for the Game (the "Software") (such CD-ROM may be an original or copy thereof); (b) have a fully paid account; and (c) have an Internet connection (which we do not provide) to access your Account. In addition to any fees described herein, you are responsible for paying all applicable taxes (including those we are not required to collect) and for all hardware, software, service and other costs you incur to access your Account. Neither this Agreement nor your Account entitles you to any subsequent releases of the Software, nor to any expansion packs or similar ancillary products. You understand that we may update or otherwise enhance the Software at any time and in doing so incur no obligation to furnish such updates to you pursuant to this Agreement.

Funcom GmbH
    Game: ANARCHY ONLINE User Agreement and Software License
    Does this mean that if you downloaded the software from the site & don't actually have the CD-ROM, that you are violating the EULA?
    O b i t u s Atrox Clan Enforcer My trade skill? Smackin' stuff till it cries! Obi's Rig
    Unit Memer of S t o r m

Never Forget

Just a question...

I recently got busted for illegal dumping, will anyone here defend me. Since you all think you know the law, I need a good lawyer

what state do you live in?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast