Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Duel Logging - Illegal or Not?

It amazes me as to how many silly posts are started over things such as this, about dual logging. Alright, have I ever double logged? yes I have, on the same account yes. why did I do such a thing? because I needed a way to transfer items at the time, in my early days of ao when I didn't have a guild to do it for me, I transferred said items to a person so they could give it to an alt for me. I logged in with the alt and poof said person was gone, I petitioned, I was just told to be more careful in the future as there was no "proof" that I made the transaction with said person..don't they keep logs? In any case looking back on it, it was pretty dumb, but at the time I didn't know anyone really in ao so therefor no one to trust. Someone showed me how to double log and it was a lifesaver. i transferred items to myself, buffed myself without the worry of having to pay someone, and also assembled my own implants. Now funcom says it's illegal to do that? well ok, so I won't do it anymore, point here is that I have to agree with previous posts as there was no mention that this was wrong, other than cz saying it was..understandable, but I still say it cuts down on so many troubles, it made my life a lot easier i'll tell you that much.
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

This has probably been said a few times, but goes for saying again.

1) Dualing with 2 chars from one account is an exploit. I know from the joys of getting disconnected, the software is designed to only let you log in once per account, no matter which domain you're using. And since you're exploiting a bug, it is therefore a banable offence.

2) Dualing with 2 chars on 2 accounts is completely valid if you own both accounts. If the second account is owned by a friend or family member, you are technicaly violating the EULA, but as long as nothing questionable is done (IE deleting items, deleting chars, being an ass to the rest of the players) there's no real way to detect this. This is more the player's responsiblity to take care of, more than Funcom's.
    While playing EQ, I know of more than one situation where members of my guild were given items, because someone's boyfriend/girlfriend got upset, knew the other person's login, and went and gave all their equipment away. And Veriant's responce? "tough ", and sometimes banned the account, since the password had been shared.

This issue is not unique to AO, and pretty much everyone has the same answer. You want the convinece of having 2 chars on at the same time? Pay for a second account, or deal with it.
    Deagnor 204 Solitus Fixer (Omni) Director of R.U.R.
    ---*** Other RuRians ***---
    83 Opti Pistol Advent Motafrancis | Ovnor 161 Solitus Engineer
    117 Nanomage NT Knightweaver | DiceSlice 83 Opti 1HE Advent
    145 NanoMage MP Miner49 | Mohelunz 69 Solitus Doc
    141 Atrox Enf Cluedozer | Icewrench 63 Opti Fixer
    Icelo 57 Opti Keeper
    Sig updated Sept 2, 2008

My question from earlier still stands unanswered:

Can I log in on both Rk1 and Rk2 at the same time? With only one account and two pc's?
    Apprentice Frakk // MA - Rk1 - Stuff - Quote
    Sunye // Doc - Rk1 - Quote
    Rookie Frakk2000 // MA - Rk2
    Freshman Frakked // Soldier - Rk2
    Apprentice Frakk2001 // Doc - Rk2

Frakk2000's guide to twinking -> link <-
    Adventures of Frakkman
    BondeLAN.org
    Overpowered since 15.0 - MA forever!

Arrow

No.

2 logins + 1 account = illegal
    2 logins + 2 accounts = legal, provided you own both accounts

Simple really.

However, on a related note, can I log into the game and into the chat server?
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

3. We may amend this Agreement at any time in our sole discretion. Amendments shall be communicated to you at the time you log into your Account. Such amendments shall be effective whenever we make the notification available for your review.
    Doesnt this mean that they have to change the EULA or post any rule changes on launcher? So technically Dual Logging or any other crap aint wrong until they are posted on the launcher/EULA? I dunno just a question.

6. We may terminate this Agreement (including your Software license and your Account) immediately and without notice if you breach this Agreement or repeatedly infringe any third party intellectual property rights, or if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us, or upon gameplay, chat or any player activity whatsoever which is, in our sole discretion, inappropriate and/or in violation of the spirit of the Game as set forth in the player rules of conduct, which are posted at http://community.anarchy-online.com. If we terminate this Agreement under these circumstances, you will lose access to your Account for the balance of any prepaid period without any refund. We may also terminate this Agreement if we decide, in our sole discretion, to discontinue offering the Game, in which case we may provide you with a prorated refund of any prepaid amounts.
    Doesnt this also mean that rules should be posted there (http://community.anarchy-online.com)? Not on the forum?
    weeeeee

Cocio, I agree.

Also, FC state that we cannot make use of an expoit that gives us an unfair advantage over other players. Since when was dual logging for the purpose of item transfer an advantage? The only advantage we gain is not having to trust other players. I for one have never dual logged for self gain or to cheat. Why should I cheat? I would only be cheating myself.

I suppose FC want to stop this so that those who would want to camp a dungeon could, using a second machine. Now that would be unfair.

Taking another angle: there is a power levelling exploit that still works. I know how it works. FC have commented that they know about this and will not stop people using it, for one reason or another. Isn't this also an exploit? Sure, there's no extra server with this exploit, but FC aren't banning use of it.
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

This issue is not unique to AO, and pretty much everyone has the same answer. You want the convinece of having 2 chars on at the same time? Pay for a second account, or deal with it.
    Pay for two accounts? what are you smoking? I barely want to pay for one account. This however isn't the case anymore as I have more than enough people to transfer with now and buff with. *scoffs*, pay for two account.... stay off the stims honey.
    "Did I tell you that you could speak?....then why are you still talking?."

Arrow

Originally posted by Ntrox
    Taking another angle: there is a power levelling exploit that still works. I know how it works. FC have commented that they know about this and will not stop people using it, for one reason or another. Isn't this also an exploit? Sure, there's no extra server with this exploit, but FC aren't banning use of it.
    Just a note, FC have posted about this, it is an exploit and you may get banned for using it. Their initial post was extremely badly worded (by their own admission), but they have clarified the issue.
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

Yes Darkbane, they recently changed stance on this. My point still stands though. There is no advantage to dualling, except not needing to trust or bother other players to do a transfer.
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Originally posted by Frakk2000

I think you misunderstood. Driving two cars in 80 on two diffrent roads is not illeagal. Just difficult, or near to impossible.
    Actually, at least in the UK, you would be breaking the law, as you would be driving neither car with due care and attention.

hugs

lilnymph
    Lilnymph - Clan Fixer - RK1
    lilnymph wrote on November 21st, 2003 08:01:01:
    You may take our postcount threads, but you will never take our FREEDOM!!!!!
    Originally posted by Cz
    The post count is mine! All mine! Mwahahahah!

40.476190476190474% of me is a huge nerd! How about you?
    Style over Substance

And no matter where you drive in the UK, if you are going 80mph, you will be breaking the speed limit
    Gimme sammich!!1

Reborn Sammich

Originally posted by Frakk2000
    My question from earlier still stands unanswered:

Can I log in on both Rk1 and Rk2 at the same time? With only one account and two pc's?
    I would say No you cant.

One of the main reasons for this is that 1 account = 1 customer. If I could log
    on to different dimentions simultaneously on one account, you could have a
    situation where my wife plays on RK1, me on RK2 and my oldest daughter on
    RK3. As it is now, I (happily!) pay for 3 accounts - it's great fun for pocket pennies
    anyways.

Epoz

Arrow

Originally posted by Ntrox
    Yes Darkbane, they recently changed stance on this. My point still stands though. There is no advantage to dualling, except not needing to trust or bother other players to do a transfer.
    Advantages or not, 1 account = 1 login. You want more logins, you buy more accounts. Once you have multiple accounts, you can do what you want including using them as buffing machines, using them to transfer, etc...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456