Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jynne's Guide to the Nano Controller Unit for Docs

Jynne's Guide to the Nano Controller Unit for Docs

So you want to make a Nano Controller Unit. I do too It's a great nanoskill buff item, and goes in a slot where almost nothing else that's really useful can be put. What's not to like? Well, there is one thing: the tradeskill requirement to make it. Because the final item is NODROP, if you want one, you have to acquire the tradeskills to make it on your own.

The Nano Controller Unit is created by combining a Nano Programming Interface with a Disc of Cloudy Crystal. The NPI can be bought in various tradeskill related shops; the DoCC is a random drop from alien generals. DoCCs can be traded, so you can buy, trade for, or otherwise acquire one in a ql suitable to you before trying to turn it into a Nano Controller Unit. The process requires 6xQL of the DoCC in your Chemistry and Electrical Engineering skills.

So I've done some research on how to get chemistry and electrical engineering skill without spending IP on it, and on what ql controller units can be made with no IP spending or very small IP spending. I've also figured out the minimum amount of IP needed to be spent on various "benchmark" QLs of the controller unit. Although I'll be providing "exact" IP numbers, treat them as "ballpark figures" in case the IP/stat calculator I am using is not 100% accurate.

Stuff you can do, as a doctor, to raise chemistry without spending IP:

Expertise: +20
    Philosopher's Stone (engineer): + 62
    HQ Tradeskill buff: +160

Ql 200 Implants: +210
    Ql 255 Implants: +250

Full suit of Ql 300 Arithmatic (or Combined Arithmatic) armor: +210

OT M-10 Nano Flechette Pistol ql 200: +30, can dual-wield for +60
    Piip Ignatz' Ring of Chemistry ql 300: +30
    All-Match Augmented Bow-Tie: +12
    Thick Leather Wristband: +10

If you can't get a full suit of Arithmatic armor, some other armor options:
    Cancer's Silver Boots of the Autodidect: +25
    Control Unit Crepuscule Gloves ql 300: +28
    Control Unit Crepuscule Jacket ql 300: +24

Perks:
    Alchemist SL perk, 6 points. +200.
    The Unknown Factor AI perk, 8 points. +160.

Total maximum +chemistry you can get: +1174 +814 without perks.

Things you can do as a doctor to raise Electrical Engineering without spending IP:

Expertise: +20
    Maestro (trader): +125
    HQ Tradeskill buff: +160

Ql 200 Implants: +210
    Ql 255 Implants: +250

Full suit of Ql 300 Arithmatic (or Combined Arithmatic) armor: +210

EN-RAL Beat of an Eyelash: +30
    Cbik's Ring of the Electric: +30
    Repair Coordination Assistant: +20
    Cancer's Time-Saving Memory: +12
    All-Match Augmented Bow-Tie: +12
    Omni-Only Omni Intern-Ops Coat: +8

If you can't get full Arithmatic, here are other armors you can wear that are +EE.
    Control Unit Crepuscule ql 300: +30
    Cancer's Silver Boots of the Autodidect: +25
    Pants of Azure Reveries: +16
    Handy Steel-Ribbed Gloves ql 200: +12

Total maximum +EE you can get: +877. +869 if you're not omni.

Now of course those are theoretical maximums, and treat the skills seperately.

Some problems with those numbers up there, are that you don't want to reset 14 perks, you need equal EE and chemistry so over-buffing one doesn't help, and some of these items conflict so you can only wear the EE or Chem one (including the faded implant), not both.

So what can we do to combine these two lists? Under ideal conditions you end up with...

Ql 255 Implant Set EE triple, Chemistry Shiny/Bright: +250 EE, +200 Chemistry
    Buffs: +305 EE, +242 Chemistry

Armor: +284 EE (+292 if omni), +262 Chemistry (Arithmatic, bow-tie, +30 rings, wristband, repair coord assistant, pande NCU).

Weapon: Ideally, for dual pistol doctors, Dual Flechette Pistols, +60 Chemistry. (Use the +30 EE weapon if you do go for alot of Chemistry perks). +30 Chem if can't dual wield.

Perks: 1 perk in Alchemist +15 Chemistry. (You can reset more if you want... this is why the implants favor EE since we get no EE perks).

Totals: +839 EE. +779 Chemistry.

Now... let's check out our base stats and trickle-down. I'm going to use a level 215 solitus doctor's base stats. For reference, a completely nekkid level 215 soli doctor with maxed base stats has 181 EE and Chem via trickle-down. EE trickle-down comes from intelligence 50%, agility 30%, stamina 20%. Chemistry is intelligence 50% and stamina 50%.

Using ql 240 ear symb, 240 chest symb, 220 waist symb, 240 leg symb, and 240 feet symb you get the following for the base stats in question: 121 stamina, 121 agility, 25 intelligence. Unfortunately most of your int buff symbiants are replaced by tradeskill implants. With Genius 3 perked, you'll have +40 intelligence. Most of our clothing slots have been taken up - but you should have a shoulder free still. So you can wear a VTE for +15 int. You can use nanos to buff agility by 37, stamina by 59, and intelligence by 32.

After doing that your trickle-down EE is 216 and chemistry is 217. Add in the gear and buffs and you have 1055 EE and 996 Chemistry. This makes Chemistry your limiting factor, and lets you make a ql 166 Nano Controller Unit for +42 to nanoskills, without spending IP or resetting more perks. If you reset perks until EE becomes the limiting factor, you can make a ql 175 Nano Controller Unit without spending IP instead. The ql 175 is +44 to nanoskills. Are +2 more points worth the resetting to you? You decide

Now what if you aren't happy with a ql 166 or 175 nano controller unit? How can you increase the QL you can make without breaking the bank on your IP?

Well, if you are patient, one option is to reset the 14 perks into the two chemistry lines. This will increase your chemistry to 1281 without IP. Then raise your EE until it is 1278, using IP, and you can make a ql 213 Nano Controller Unit. This will cost 41398 IP. And 28 days (14 to reset perks into tradeskills, 14 to reset them back). This ql of the item is +53 nanoskills. This looks like a pretty good investment - you trade perk reset time for an absolutely minimal IP cost to get an item that's +11 more nanoskills over the ql 166.

If you want to make a ql 300 with the absolute minimum IP cost, reperk and get all the items listed above. Also, be level 220 with maxed base stats. Then it will only cost you 682558 IP (and 28 days of reperking) to get your EE and Chemistry to 1800 each. The ql 300 item has a level 220 wear requirement, so trying to make it before level 220 is not worthwhile Without reperking except to get Alchemist 1, you will spend something like 1,149,688 IP at level 220 to make a ql 300.

The Ql 280 Nano Controller Unit has level 210 as the requirement and is +70 nanoskills. This particular QL looks to me like it provides the best balance between wear requirement and nanoskill buff: if you aren't already 220, waiting until you are 220 before you get one of these isn't a very attractive idea, especially because the ql 300 one is only +5 more skill than this one. To make the ql 280 controller unit, you need 1680 EE and Chemistry.

The 210 doctor's base stats will be significantly lower than the 215's, however. A 210 doctor has 197 EE and 198 Chemistry from trickle-down, after the same buffs and implants to their base stats. Adding in the chem/EE stuff and reperking, you end up with 1036 EE and 1262 Chem. To get up to 1680 in each from this point, you will spend a minimum 514,912 IP; to make the item without reperking fully you will spend around 883,266 IP and also need to reperk to at least Alchemist 3 (or you can't get 1680 chemistry).

For the 215 doctor, who gets more trickle-down, making a ql 280 unit will cost a minimum of 479,792 IP with reperking; without reperking beyond Alchemist 1 the 215 doctor spends 877,232 IP to make it.

About the equipment, buffs, and so forth... I know alot of this is high-end gear. I'm aware that almost nobody is going to personally own all of these items for personal use at their whimsy. For the weapons, you might be using different weapon types. Equipping some of this might be a pain for you, but it is all very doable by 210 or 215 characters. And most of these are not nodrop. Particularly, you can borrow - or rent - the arithmatic armor that you need and return it when the process is done.
    Last edited by Jynne; Feb 14th, 2005 at 18:53:32.
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Great, Good job on this...
    And sheffy put this in the doctor guis thread please
    R.I.P Mafia1337. You were to young to be knocking on Heavens door.

Zolic
    Infizicator
    WillItSmash

Added to the sticky, and nice job Jynne. Beat me to it!

One thing to add is +50 from Tutoring for one of the skills. I was to the point where I could get like 1760/1785 in EE/Chem, so I changed out my right hand implant from Chemistry to EE (so I was a bit over in EE) and used a tutoring device for Chem to reach 1800+ in both.
    Last edited by Sheffy; Feb 14th, 2005 at 21:40:47.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheffy
    Added to the sticky, and nice job Jynne. Beat me to it!

One thing to add is +50 from Tutoring for one of the skills. I was to the point where I could get like 1760/1785 in EE/Chem, so I changed out my right hand implant from Chemistry to EE (so I was a bit over in EE) and used a tutoring device for Chem to reach 1800+ in both.
    Hehe well I sorta did it to research this for myself

I didn't include tutoring because I assumed most people would have to spend IP on it to use a ql 200 tutoring device for the +50 there. It's possible to use a smaller tutoring device for something of an extra boost, and you can use a pioneer backpack to help with that. Depending on which skill (ie, EE or chem) is your 'limiting factor' you can use a small tutoring device to raise it and squeeze another ql or 3 out of the disc, or save some extra IP off the end number. But in considering it I didn't think it was worth my time figuring out every last drop. For when I personally go to make one, I'll keep tutoring in reserve, in case my calculations are off a little or I can't get or equip a given buff item I'd want to have.

There's probably a crossing-point where raising tutoring to get a tutoring device for a certain buff will cost less IP than raising the tradeskill involved (particularly EE) by the same amount. But figuring that out is too much work for l'il old me. If you're that interested in squeezing every last drop of efficiency out of the process, you are probably doing your own research anyway
    Taren "Jynne" Suitt, Level 216/16 Eternalist
    Knight of Unity of the Rose - Check out our AO Tools!
    The Doctor Guide to: Notum Wars Martial Arts Perks! Nano Controller Units
    The General Guide to: Auto-Combat General Perks

Visit the Roses and check out the shops in our City, NE of ICC at 4500x1500 in Andromeda!

Iron Law of Exploits: If it can be exploited, it will be exploited. However a rule is exploitable, the exploits become the rule.

Very nice job Jynne, extremely helpful. Thanks

Great work, Jynne

Just a couple things to add:

For EE, if you're Clan and can't equip the ring try Quasinom de Plume's Ring of the Electric Its the same bonus and you don't have to kill Redeemed to get it plus they rot all the time so its not exactly rare.

Engineers also have +80 and +125 EE buffs. So if you're having trouble finding a Trader(they are kind of reclusive from all the wrangle requests ) bug an Engie

For the Neutrals out there don't forget to get the Profiteer's Helper. Its +50 to both Chem and EE(much better than the bowtie).
    Advisor of First Light
    Tradeskill How-To's, Engineer Profession Guides, and Jello Wrestling at The Tir School of Engineering
    Confused by Alien Tech? Check out my Alien Invasion Guides

New to Engineering? Try HighOrbit's Engineer Guide. Thanks HighOrbit

Add Piip Ignatz' Ring of Chemistry if you need extra Chem.

thanks for the guide, built a ql203 without using too much IP. Also add a Omni-Tek technical library thing for util1 adds +15 to Chemistry

Great guide... I'll see what can be reused for NT purposes later

Oh and don't forget gloves from the beast. If you can get on a beast raid, these are pretty unwanted, but they add 30 to all tradeskills.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

nvm :P!
    Last edited by Disq; Feb 25th, 2005 at 12:26:01.
    Disquast - 218 | Doctor - - - Keelhaul - 220 | Soldier
    Black Dawn Syndicate - http://blackdawn.eu

Quote Originally Posted by Disq
    havent see on the list
    Problem Solving Device x6
    gives like 120 EE and 60 Chem
    maybe because of:

User Profession == Engineer or
    User Profession == Fixer or
    User Profession == Trader

haha Disq da nuubie
    Rolfor 220/26/70 Nanomage Doctor [Setup] No task too hard - no compromise - updated
    Rolfolol 220/28/70 Atrox Keeper [PvP Setup] [PvM DD Setup] - updated
    Ralfxore 165/22/42 Opifish Fixer [Setup]
    - updated
    Rolflol 216/15/34 Atrox Nano Technician
    Peon of SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    I dont discriminate, i hate everyone equally much.
    War.
    War never changes.

rofl sowwy
    too used to using my enginner forgot what toon I was talking about
    Disquast - 218 | Doctor - - - Keelhaul - 220 | Soldier
    Black Dawn Syndicate - http://blackdawn.eu

Another awesome Jynne guide. (TM)
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

uber guide helped me a lot ty
    220/22/68 Doctor Mithrandyr main character - cool, stylish & crazy even if i die i look good while doing it!
    216/13 Soldier Eriador - semi-retired [doc priority]
    209/11 Engineer Tzar2 - semi-retired [doc priority]
    220/14 Adventurer Icemorph - retired [farm toon]
    213/04 Buerocrat Tzar - retired [farm toon]

- RETIRED / ACCOUNT CANCELED -

I'd like to thank you also. Made a QL199 (+50) one of these using this guide as a reference.

(Gordon Bennet why is Philosophers Stone so short ? heheh)

awsome guide helped me remember about a few items i totaly forgot about, made a ql 300 and i love it self cast everything w/out org city/towers/contracts very much worth it.
    Thrice, Blackfield, Whitefield, Shiroyasha, Theunclean, Nerotic

Once apon a time: Gasltymonkey, Healthybob

Nice guide Jynne, found it very useful reminding me what I could use, cheers ^^
    The nature of monkey is irrepressible.
    Silq ~ Barabajagal ~ Ubik ~ Steampunk ~ Fleshwoman & others

Is it able to be upgraded like the fixers thingy or like the ql 150 coat?
    Daily Missions Bug Thread(Closed)

Aliantin - 206 Bureaucrat Retired Squad Commander of DeltaSquad
    Jetfix - 107 Fixer Retired DeltaSquad
    Aliannt - 145 Nano-Technician Retired

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast