Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OOC: Storyline Updates

OOC: Storyline Updates

From todays community update, but I wanted to give you guys a chance to provide some feedback and what we talked about

Storyline Updates

I wanted to talk a little today about a question we often get asked in community feedback and that’s how the storyline gets updated in Anarchy Online. The storyline for Rubi-Ka is constantly being updated through our ARK events teams and the updates released through our Editors News forum in the form of in-character press releases from the factional press agencies.

The articles in that forum vary from small reports on the many events run by the events team, through articles written by contributing members of the roleplaying community to official articles written and released by us here at Funcom to tie in with important changes or content additions (like the current mysteries related to alien transmissions and the outzone!).

Using the device of the ‘Editors’ allows us to give our roleplaying community more ‘in character’ updates to the story on a consistent basis, be it major developments or just fun background pieces. We feel that this approach allows us to both involve the roleplaying community more and have more interaction with the community in terms of the storyline, with any given piece just as likely to have come from a player initiative as from the pens of the storyline developers.

The most recent updates now appear in the game launcher as well as our main Story page on the official site. We hope to maintain a more visible progression of the storyline and background of Rubi-Ka through this process.

Rubi-Ka has a wonderful heritage and it is thanks to our dedicated roleplaying community that we continue to develop that heritage for those that like to get totally immersed in the world around Anarchy Online!
    Hopefully we will be able to keep the storyline more visible and on-going for the roleplay community
    Last edited by Famine; Aug 23rd, 2007 at 14:55:09.
    Craig 'Silirrion' Morrison
    Old Timer

Yes it is extremely important with a living storyline and Editor News to get the real feel of "life" in AO.

Its been bumpy but I ,atleast, am smelling some good times coming again
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

I my humble opinion that is a part of the reason why AO is still around and some other MMORPGs, like EA's Earth and Beyond died after a bit over a year, despite the fact that their 'world' was just as complex as AO..

So...how about some follow-up?

Touche... I was thinking the same thing.
    Towerblock, 220/30/70 Engineer
    President of Steadfast

And way too many alts...

Was thinking:

Some of our characters have reputations and could act as Long Term Characters?

Thing is if we do this, will we actually have any impact and make any changes to the world?

Let me know, I am open to events
    More Barbie instead of GI Joe game content, please!
    *Yngvild Lothe* ex AO quest designer -- "... So now you just want cheap thrills..." Classic server.
    Role Playing guide
    • Main account = Classic.

Phasefront can go jump in the ... oh wait it is already there!
    (Since openning, I have used the West Gate, Battle Station or NL grid point, twice).
    ALLNEUTS - always helping new players, regardless of faction.
    Neutral, can mean real freedom for you. ||| New year's resolution - stay off these forums. Hope you are happy now.
    Expansions don't enhance the game, they just extend it and make the beginning easier to catch up in order to race frantically at the "front"

Kahava - "... we had a civil community."

As far as I know most LTC's have little effect on the major storyline...

*likes lead balloons like everyone else*

By the way long term characters are just citizens of rubi-ka just like your characters, so technically your character already is a longterm character, as for impact that changes the world, it has happened occasionally but not often due to the large amount of work it would force Funcom into doing, but any actions and events you do on your character will effect the world as percieved by other peoples characters, so really just getting out there and doing the whole roleplay thing would be the best way to acheive anything, rather then sitting around trying to discuss ways of getting the world to change.

New ARK department: Dynamic world.

Make a tool kit.

These ARKs get banned from the server that they will be working on.

In other words and as an example, since I like playing RK1 & RK2 and have friends their it would be too open to cheating so the only place my tools would work is on RK3 where I don't even speak the language but I could set things up, use Babble fish and just have it moderated by a co-ordinator or something like that.

No changes or world affecting events would go unmoderated first or have no event director to watch the happenings.

The shortage is man power, the players could fill this with some tools. Impact would be immediate, I do something on RK3, they see how effective and fun this is. Then those inspired come and add a bit of chaos to our servers.

It is dynamic, so they would be things that are server specific, updates would layer over the engine and the dynamic changes layer over those and can't overwrite the proper updates.

Except arks are just voluntary players and not funcom employee's so they would never be given powers to change the game like that.

And anyway you don't need to be able to remove buildings or such to be able to roleplay

A player will never have the power to cause a profound impact on the storyline.
    ARK will never have the power to alter the world.

Why?

Distilled answer: FunCom Doesn't care about the RP community because we're a minority.
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

I really don't know what all the complaining is about, if 1 player could change the story in a profound way people would complain that it wasn't them etc etc.

And its not like any of the other big MMORPG's do it anyway, atleast in AO we have some player effect, i mean theres items named after players, theres meetings for the players, theres events for the players. Just because someone can't make a character and say "I want this person to be named CEO of Omni-Tek RK" doesnt mean we players have no effect. We always have some effect even if its only a small one and not really noticable to those that want to see only big effects

Then those same complainers would be encouraged to join the team of ARKs.

What is so ironic is that this is a massive multiplayer online role playing game.

Those that have had the most profound impacts are the third party software designers, org bots and click saver.

Simply put, AO, the world is too "read only."

The difference between humans and animals by some definitions is that we change our environments, instead of adapting to them. We can't change AO so we are denied that.

Cities are underpopulated, they should be crumbling now.
    Player cities are an expensive waste of space on zones. They are the one thing that we can do but they all really look the same.
    The players can't alter the world, can't paint with their time, make or destroy. Even with rules or a physics engine.

Come on, players have an affect, the reason some cities have no players in there... is because no players go there, thus making it seem abandoned... but its not, theres still "average joe" citizens living there and such, we may not see them (often) but there there making an economy (thus the shop prices and such).

Your complaining so much about not being able to change the game just because you see it, use your darn imagination, you said yourself you play D&D where you don't have visual representation, well whats the darn difference? Just because you actually have some visual representations now means you can't use your imaginations?

I've seen plenty of successful roleplay sessions that are running on the basis of people just using there darn imaginations, rather then them being all prissy about how they can't get the game to actually show it.

Take Nulions story for instance, his character has an illness that gives him scales and such, sure we can't see it visually on the character, but its there.

Stop complaining and just roleplay darnit!

Quote Originally Posted by Trousers View Post
    A player will never have the power to cause a profound impact on the storyline.
    ARK will never have the power to alter the world.

Why?

Distilled answer: FunCom Doesn't care about the RP community because we're a minority.
    I don't know to what degree that's true...
    Been to Athen lately?
    Or seen a Borealis protest placard? I never spotted those things till the first patch AFTER Omni took over, when picketing had already started and they added the NPC giving them out.
    Uni "Unixint80" Idoru, 206/13 Neutral NT Veteran of Shattered Dreams
    What I've Got My Perk Setup My Nuke Setup (All slightly outdated)

FREE BOREALIS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Idoru View Post
    Been to Athen lately?
    Or seen a Borealis protest placard? I never spotted those things till the first patch AFTER Omni took over, when picketing had already started and they added the NPC giving them out.
    Ever seen the ICC peacekeepers in Newland? Oops, I meant Loren Warr's mercs, oops, I meant Newland City militia...

Quote Originally Posted by Ms_Idoru View Post
    Been to Athen lately?
    I'm going to try not to allow my hatred to overcome by responses, but;

1) Old Athens Patch was a Graphical Update. It was 3 years overdue and added 'bling' to an aging game to try to retain and draw in a new playerbase. Can the change be RP'ed, yes. But that doesn't make the change based on RP.

2) They patched in a placard and an Item isn't RP. If FC wanted to RP they should have RP'ed the takeover, not just Patch in an item to better explain the event they didn't RP, that should have been RP'ed.

Items are nice, don't get me wrong, but they're far from having a 'profound impact'
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||Serve Omni-Tek
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT||||||||||||||||||||Join the ROTFLMAO
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||
    TOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOT|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTO TOTOTOTOTOTO||||||||||||||||
    OTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTOTO|||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||

Both the update to Old Athens, as well as the rearming of numerous cities' guards with alien weapons, was suggested and driven by Roleplay. There is not a shred of evidence that FC took either step in a vacuum and both ideas had been championed for some time by the Council of Truth. Also both changes were preceded/announced by actions in the CoT (the OA new look was first publicly unveiled at a CoT meeting and CoT members had to collect and turn in alien weapons for use by city guards prior to those guards appearing armed with the new weaponry). Neither suggestion had been mentioned to any great degree in the 'suggestions' area of the Official forums so clearly the Roleplay community was the source of the inspirations. The Roleplay community essentially operates as one source of ideas for game directions and, if said ideas tickle the fancy of the Dev's, they can become reality. FC likes to tweak the status quo periodically to keep things fresh, and new material created by them will usually be vocalized by the events team in the rp environment (good example being the introduction of the Phasefront display and resulting protests). But they are clearly willing to make adjustments proposed by the rp community, if such changes dont' disrupt long term story arcs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast