Thread: My Own Nano Shop

Smile My Own Nano Shop

OK so I am interested in Trade Skills, one of my main reasons for playing. I am an NT and have the usual sets of trade skill implants and have maxed my NP and CL.

Well I had looked at nano crystal production every time a new patch came out that affected it. So I found out a few things. First off it took a huge investment in tools and back when they first came out getting hold of rocks was all but impossible. The market forces pushed up the price of carbon rich rock to insane levels and the only practical thing to do with the trade skill was to compile the TS only nanos.

Things improved a lot when the rocks became common and again I looked into making nanos. A few calculations showed that the cost of the components seemed to follow a square rule between the fixed cost points in the object database, i.e. the items in the database are of QL 1,25,50,75,100,125,255 and have a fixed cost at each of these increasing with the square of the QL between these points. This meant that if I was very careful to use the min QL components that I could make some crystals cheaper than that of the shop selling price... but I again thought that this would only be worth while for the non shop nanos.

With the latest patch the cost of the components is now only 1% of the previous price. This has meant that it is now possible to make nanos for a fraction of the value of them. My new calculations indicate that even if you sell the nanos back to a NPC vendor you will double your money (based upon the value of the disc if you sold it to a vendor and the cost of the consumables).

So I thought that now it would be practical to try and make a shop of sorts. But how do I market my wares?!?

Well many people are probably aware of Helpbot. If not it is a script that sits on the chat server and you can communicate with through the games chat interface. Well I downloaded the AO:CHAT PERL module from AO.Quest and got to making my own! The bot does several things but primarily it allows me to tell it what items are in what bags and where they are in my bank. Then you can ask it to search the database for matches… it also outputs the contents to a webpage.

While doing this I found a few big problems with the current trade skill system, a lot of them are already posted here but, the biggest problem I faced was that the components don’t stack that is I want the rocks to stack, instruction discs to stack, symbol libraries and reflection patterns. It wouldn’t hurt if the finished crystals stacked as well!! I would be happy enough if they stacked like the generic ring that is if you use the stack you loose them all, but you can split them.

I am currently trying to work on putting sections into the shop to allow searches for profession rather than just name and QL.
    Onariz

dug up the test output I generated

nanobank
    Onariz

AHA !

Dear sir,

You are the man i was looking for. I`ve got some discs that need taken care of. Looks like you are the man i was looking for. You got fixed prices? Or maybe we could arrange a deal. A could like uhm ... do some "Dirty" work for you *wink*wink*. Give me a tell so we can work something out.

( euro-based ? )

P.S. Yes, they should stack

Unhappy Hate to burst your bubble

sorry onaris I hate to burst your bubble but there is a more detailed process to creating nano crystals. it involves about 5 different tradeskills and if I remember right 3 of them are dark blue for an NT. though and Engineers and traders can make nano crystals all they want since just about every tradeskill is green.
    God I love being an engineer

oh and if you want to check out the process invovled in making a nano crystal try this site
    http://virral.clansupport.com/
    it is virrals site. On it there is a guide to Nano crystal creation in the guides section and tells you what skills are needed to create a full nano crystal.

Phear not the bubble is good!

I am aware of the full nano creation proccess but the rock > ore > bank > prepared crystal side of things uses only one consumable (the crystal reflection pattern) the three other skills in question are light blue to an NT and so worth considering once you hit your title caps. Although I personally work with a fellow guild member that is an engineer to do this. The stubling block has always been the cost of the consumables which is now soo cheap I don't even bother getting the lowest QL possible.
    Onariz

odoratus ..start by asking u fellow guildmates before asking strangers

I can do nanocrystals

Chemfix

Not everyone's guilded. Not everyone wants to be.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Edit:

/me clocks fact that chemfix and Odoratus are guildmates.
    /me looks embarrassed and leaves quietly...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

~R~
    Last edited by Soyuz; Jul 8th, 2002 at 12:19:19.

in that case my post was only aimed to odoratus ..sorry soyuz .

and i understand u post

Heh, sorry chem, didn't know that , a fixer making nano's

You know you gonna have some work to do now

Re: My Own Nano Shop

Originally posted by Onaris
    Well I downloaded the AO:CHAT PERL module from AO.Quest
    I've searched through the on-site links, and tried the obvious URL's, but can't seem to find AO.Quest. Could you post an address for the site or resource, please?

Cheers,

~R~

Exploitable!

I would strongly advise NOT to allow stacking of rocks, discs, reflection patterns and so on....

You could easily exploit stacking of such items to lvl a lowbie many many lvls in a relatively short period of time (50 lvls in 5 hours maybe?). This was done some time ago by people who sold chars and stuff on ebay for a living.

In fact, if rock stacking worked I could write a program, with a nice GUI so that any n00b could use it, in a matter of hours.

So.. do NOT allow stacking of tradeskill-related materials/components please!

*EDIT: Fixed a comma and a bad sentence.
    Last edited by Octo; Jul 12th, 2002 at 08:31:07.
    Octo - eqp

Atlanteans Legendary Teddybear wielding engineer and author of Click

Get the all new SK/XP Calculator and find out when you will DING!

Re: Re: My Own Nano Shop

Originally posted by Soyuz
    I've searched through the on-site links, and tried the obvious URL's, but can't seem to find AO.Quest. Could you post an address for the site or resource, please?

Cheers,

~R~
    http://www.hackersquest.org/ao/

also it was recently updated
    Onariz