Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attention New Arrivals! Welcome to Anarchy Online!

Attention New Arrivals! Welcome to Anarchy Online!

As there's been a new rush of folks that are starting AO for the very first time I thought it'd be handy to have a thread with useful/current information and links that are easy to find/read. Most of these links can be found in the AO Bookmarks post that is Rooted to the top of this forum but that post can be a bit daunting as there are SO many links and no easy way to see which ones you really need to check out first thing.

Basic game mechanics:
    Snowglobe's AO Terminology List - almost all the acronyms and abbreviations that people use in game spelled out.

Guide to new chat system - tells you how to make and configure new chat windows and such.

Get map upgrades, see mobs around you - a very nice thread by Coxe that helps new players with the whole map thing. =)

NCU and Belt - a handy chart a table with the NCU QLs and Comp Lit requirements.

*note to self: find a guide that explains NCU --edit thanks Skybert
    NCU-guide (for newcomers)

another NCU guide from AO Vault

Missions, how to get items for free, how to make credits:
    Clicksaver - a 3rd party tool that is not banned by Funcom, allows players to search the items each roll from the mission booth brings up to find items more easily.

List of Low QL Valuable Items - items that you can find as mission rewards that you can sell to other players or keep for your own personal use. Everyone and their mother needs their own pair of QL 10 Concrete Cushions and an OT-Windchaser M06 Quartz! Prices vary and are subject to supply/demand/inflation.

How and where to blitz missions... and Mission blitzing. What is it really? - about the art and science of blitzing missions so you don't have to stop/take the time to kill all the mobs to get the rewards.

Mission Settings 101 (version 2.0) - more on those misions and many of the settings you can use.

How to Make Money at Low Levels - one of the many threads out there. If someone can link me to the old one from Thedeacon I'd be grateful, I can't find the link for some reason.

the original Making LOTS of money as a new player

Other useful resources that all veteran AO players turn to every single day practically:
    Anarchy Arcanum - great guides on implants, tradeskills, etc

AUNO.org - one of the two best AO databases and also has some other nifty tools

Anarchy Mainframe - same as above

Helpbot is your friend! - who doesn't use this at least once a day if not once an hour? Same goes for Itemsnet.

Misc:
    Guide to Wrangles - guide to the line of buffs that is probably the most misunderstood ingame. =) <3 traders

Hunting Grounds Info Here some oooold school outdoor hunting areas. (neuts should be able to hang out at any of those places except maybe near Tir city)

Primer: Team Mission Combat Tactics or "Oh no, we're in a team mission and now what do we do?!"

My purpose for this thread is to have a handy link to copy/paste into game chat for newbies to read when they have the time. Feel free to add your own links w/an explanation of its usefulness.
    Last edited by Jajangmyun; Jan 21st, 2005 at 01:11:00.
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

(now in order of play/activity! along with some other lowbie alts.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jajangmyun
    How to Make Money at Low Levels - one of the many threads out there. If someone can link me to the old one from Thedeacon I'd be grateful, I can't find the link for some reason.
    omg teh footness...

Aiyma
    Elite Operations
    Gimpy Gear!
    [Elite Operations] Phorcer: we all started at lvl 1 dont forget that
    [Elite Operations] Notech1: hmm i was drunk when i started, so i dont remember

I thought that the majority of the new arrivals cant use the forums since they dont have the pay for the game.

They can read them, just not able to post.
    "War may be Hell....but it's good for business!"
    -The Association for Merchants,Manufacturers, and Morticians

[Kintaii]: Dude, I *am* weird
    [Kintaii]: I came to accept this many years ago and am much happier for it. XD
    [Kintaii]: Besides - I work on *AO*. That right there is proof of my oddness.

Quote Originally Posted by Coversyl
    I thought that the majority of the new arrivals cant use the forums since they dont have the pay for the game.

right now they can't post but they can at least read. and hopefully this thread can help those of us looking for a link to give them in game for a better guide.
    Udon (doctor), Koyangi (trader), Jajangmyun (adventurer) of Shattered Dreams of Rimor. [website]

the can read but not post
    wellcome newcommers

AOVault Newbie Guide - You should definitely read this.

Those of you with the free accounts apparently can't post on these boards. However, you can head over to AOVault and post on their board with any questions you might have.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Cool... Root pls ...
    Neophyte/Sergeant/Tactician Escritores - Proud General of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 220/27/56 - Soldier - Equip - outdated...
    Poacher Overpoweredz - Proud UC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 169/9/X - ADV - Equip outdated
    Chiropractor/Tactician Kartoon - Proud SC of ..:Nordic Alliance:.. - 150/12/12 - Doctor - TL5 PvP incoming. Under construction.
    Also a Freshman Crat, Freshman/Student/Squire/Captain Keep, Freshman/Phreaker/Scout Fix and a bunch of other tower punks and alts...
    Soldier Weaponrack: Anger of Xan, Dreadloch Modified Shark, Amplified KOC-Type 13, Lord Of Anger, AHF, SRPB, KOC-Type 12, KOEC-Type 3, 179-214-237 Coop, Supernova, Omni-Flamer.
    Gromulator: Go troll in your cavern , mr happy Bunny.
    Romaas about lvl 49 soldier BS twinks using CDR's
    Quote Originally Posted by Romaas View Post
    at 49 its totally awesome damage.

Quote Originally Posted by gifti
    the can read but not post
    wellcome newcommers

yep, pretty much. and handy tool to point people too as the rooted AO Bookmarks is a bit overwhelming when trying to look for something particular.

sorry about the "not able to read the forums" post, I guess I shouldn't have listened to some newbies tell me that they couldn't read the forums, I should have checked myself.

Thing is though, they saw FC's announcement about the forums and that's what they probably thought, that they couldn't even get into them. Hopefully some of the newer folks will at least try and use the forums and the wealth of knowledge that can be found here ^_^
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

definitely need some sticky lubbin...
    Aiyma
    Elite Operations
    Gimpy Gear!

Wink

we'll sticky this, for now, and see what shakes and bakes... i hope it develops a bit more.
    Last edited by CJ; Dec 20th, 2004 at 17:12:38.
    ~ CJ ~
    Formerly known as Timelapse

Certified AO Forum Freak!

~ Check out our old comics here! ~

Aiyma tacklehuggles Timelapse

Aiyma
    Elite Operations
    Gimpy Gear!

One of the most asked questions are WHere is this and Where is that

Travel To Rubi-KA

Guides at AOVault

Lots of them!
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

Quote Originally Posted by Jajangmyun
    *note to self: find a guide that explains NCU
    NCU-guide.
    Fresh-made.

For those who need a printable list of all premade implants (because you don't have to buy the ones designed for your profession), for those who want chat tips, for those who want several annotated AO links, and for those who want to download or learn to script, there is www.zanthyna.com.
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

small update. added 2 more oldies but goodies links:
    Hunting Grounds Info Here some oooold school outdoor hunting areas. (neuts should be able to hang out at any of those places except maybe near Tir city)

Primer: Team Mission Combat Tactics or "Oh no, we're in a team mission and now what do we do?!"

Also should add...

How do I get to the Temple of the Three Winds?

If you are Omni or Neut: take the quick portal from Rome Green. How to get to Rome Green you ask? Use the grid, Rome is on the 2nd floor. Upon exiting the Rome grid exit, enter Rome Green by using the South gate. Take the first 2 left-hand turns and you should see the Windcaller NPC who will give you the ToTW pass after you give him 1,000 credits.

If you are Clan: just a quick run North from Tir City.

Now how to leave the Temple? You gotta run back to a friendly city. Most people just wait until they had just leveled/dinged and then they let themselves die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast