Thread: NCU-guide (for newcomers)

NCU-guide (for newcomers)

What is NCU?

NCU is Nano Controller Units. The air is filled with nanobots that will obey your every command. Want to hurt someone? Program the nanobots to deal damage. Want to be stronger? Program the nanobots to help you lift/push/whatnot. The effect is very similar to spells, but it's not spells. It's nanotechnology. Anyways, what about these NCU? Well, as I said, there's bots all over the place, but there is a limit to how much you can use. The more NCU you have, the more programs you can keep running in your vicinity. ((The more NCU you have, the more, bigger buffs you can have)).

When you arrive on this planet, you have a natural NCU-area that allows you to control 8 NCU. 1 NCU is a number of bots, 2 NCU is twice that number of bots. I've never counted how many bots 1 NCU is, but everything is counted in number of NCU, and that's really all you need to know. For now.

Great! You got 8 NCU. What to do with them?
    You can buy a nanoprogram that will make you stronger, like this Augment Strength that adds +6 to your strength, and take up 2 NCU of space in your field. When you get better at it, you can buy and upload a bigger strength buff, Strength Boost that adds +12 to your strength, and requires 3 NCU.

There's a ton of nanoprograms available. Some are available to all, most are only available to a certain profession, but every profession has their set of programs. You might want to investigate the sites linked to above for more info about that.

Ok, I understand that I need NCU now... how do I get them?
    First off, you're gonna need a Belt Component Platform, normally referred to as "belt". There's six main versions of the belts.
    Belt Component Platform Ti-100X. Gives you 1 Belt deck.
    Belt Component Platform Ti-200X. Gives you two belt decks.
    Belt Component Platform 300X. Gives three belt decks.
    Belt Component Platform 4IX. Yes, that's correct, four belt decks.
    Belt Component Platform 5000. Gives five belt decks (start seeing a pattern here?)
    Belt Component Platform 6K-X Gives 6 Belt decks, which is the maximum number of decks you can have.

Belt decks is also sometimes referred to as "computer deck".

Now, as a new player, I would reccommend getting a belt with 2 decks. The first one, with just 1...well, you can get it, but you ight as well save the money until you can equip the second one, which adds 2.

Equipping a belt
    The belts are really sci-fi stuff, and you can't just go around using them all at once. Like the 6-slotter... you probably can't use that yet. See, the thing is that they require a skill called Computer Literacy. The higher QL(quality level), the more comp lit is required (see the way I went from the actualy phrase to the commonly used lingo in just two sentences? ). You'll need complit for the actual NCU-chips, so you might as well concider maxing that skill.

So, I got this fancyswancy belt that is supposed to give me two deck, (whatever that is), what do I do now?
    Righto, assuming you went for the 2-slotter, you got room for 2 chips.

First to the database and check for info.
    Available memory
    They range from ql1 to 200. Requires 6 complit for a ql1 that adds 2 NCU memory, and requires 750 for a ql200 that adds +64.

You should equip as high ql as you can, to increase your NCU as much as you can.

Please note that equipping NCU chips has to be done manually. Rightclicking the memory will replace the one in slot 1 and not put anything in slot 2,3,4,5,6. Also, equipping/unequipping belts and memories takes time. Some times the progress bar doesn't show.

OK, so now I got my belt equipped along with two of them memories. I got 20 NCU instead of the normal 8 I started out with. So what? My buffs only require 3 NCU total when I use them all!
    As you level up, you'll get new buffs, better buffs that replace/add too your current ones, and they WILL require more NCU. Also, when teaming up, it's common that the team buffs eachother, giving them more hitpoints, making them take less damage, cracnking up regeneration-rate, making them run faster etc, etc... all those require NCU, and if you don't have enough, then, well, you won't get that buff, simply because there's no room.

Oh, I get it. So these belts and chips are the only way to increase NCU, then?
    Not entirely correct. There are many items, armor and even buffs that gives you more NCU, as long as you have the item equipped/buff running. But that's not for this guide. This was made to explain the basic NCU stuff.

-edit-
    Added some stuff, thanks to constructive feedback.
    Also, if for some reason someone thinks this'll be a good thing to put up on a website, feel free to do so. If I didn't want to share this, I would probably not have written it in the first place.
    Last edited by skybert; Dec 27th, 2004 at 08:43:25.

Nice. This confused me no end when I started playing.

Every item in game however has an 'Equip Time' , think of it as the amount of time it takes you to put something 'on'

Belts have a very long equip time. You can see this if you read the description of the item. (see the links above).

If you try to put one on and nothing is happening check two things

A) You dont already have a belt on (You must remove it AND the NCU chips it has in it) , If you don't it wont work.
    B) The belt IS being put on, just it takes time (check out a progress bar on the top left of the screen).

One last tip. (Bit advanced this one!)

All belts come in a range of QL, from 1 all the way up to 200 and each belt requires an amount of Comp Lit to equip. BUT (and heres the rub) there are 'jumps' So for example a QL 1 Belt will give you one extra NCU space, as will a QL 10 Belt BUT the QL 10 belt will require more Comp Lit skill to equip. (18 Comp Lit as opposed to 6 Comp Lit for a QL 1.

Not a lot you might say (and no it isnt) but at QL 160 you can get a 6-slot belt with 351 Comp Lit, OR use a QL 159 5-slot belt with 350 Comp Lit skill - now see the difference (the differences apply to the 'Break Points' inbetween as well.
    Last edited by patoliver; Dec 22nd, 2004 at 12:04:48.

Excellent Skybert!

Quote Originally Posted by patoliver
    ...Not a lot you might say (and no it isnt) but at QL 160 you can get a 6-slot belt with 351 Comp Lit, OR use a QL 159 6-slot belt with 350 Comp Lit skill - now see the difference (the differences apply to the 'Break Points' inbetween as well.
    Umm .... huh? What difference?
    Seriously, I guess you meant to compare a QL 159 belt (350 Comp Lit) with a QL 200 belt (401 Comp Lit).
    Last edited by Shadehawk; Dec 22nd, 2004 at 10:54:31.
    ... they gather, like big cats around the water hole, waiting for the weak and the wounded to stagger into their territory so they can exercise some violence, and feed their starving reputation ...

Roleplay? Sure! RUR.has.it!

Quote Originally Posted by patoliver
    Not a lot you might say (and no it isnt) but at QL 160 you can get a 6-slot belt with 351 Comp Lit, OR use a QL 159 6-slot belt with 350 Comp Lit skill - now see the difference (the differences apply to the 'Break Points' inbetween as well.
    Think he meant ql 159 5-Slot belt and ql 160 6-Slot belt? 1 points different in Comp.Lit req. But one whole spot extra for a ncu memory

Ah, yes of course. My bad!
    ... they gather, like big cats around the water hole, waiting for the weak and the wounded to stagger into their territory so they can exercise some violence, and feed their starving reputation ...

Roleplay? Sure! RUR.has.it!

Yup - that was my point - you get a whole extra NCU slot by spending IP to gain one point of Comp Lit.

And the same thing happens at all the various 'Break Points'

NCU Belts
    1 SLots QL1 CL 6
    2 Slots QL11 CL 19
    3 Slots QL30 CL 76
    4 Slots QL60 CL 161
    5 Slots QL100 CL 251
    6 Slots QL160 CL 351

here is the QL to get the lowest in for the amount of slots ultimate goal is the 6 slotter at 160 CL 351.... then onto the Alien ones.

NCU Memory
    1 2 6
    25 5 46
    50 16 121
    75 22 178
    100 27 235
    125 34 309
    150 44 456
    175 54 603
    199 64 744
    200 64 750
    Row one is QL then NCU then CL required
    Sorry for tha bad Formatting the above is a small breakdown and gives u a general idea of how NCU plays out... Remeber to always look at the actuall NCU and QL.. jsut cause it says 32 to 64 tahts just a range. Ideal Goal is to get 6 QL 199 NCUS... just a tad less CL then 200 but same amount of NCU.

If anyone is intersested i ahve the Ring of Divine Teardrops breakdown also)
    Ring of Divine Teardrops Boost Boost Title lvl
    Agility Sense
    100-109 10 20 4
    110-129 11 21 4
    130-133 12 22 4
    134-149 12 22 5
    150-169 13 23 5
    170-189 14 24 5
    190-199 15 25 5
    200-209 15 25 6
    210- 16 26
    267 18 28 7
    Last edited by The Validator; Dec 22nd, 2004 at 14:13:52.

Good post

You might like to add that you have to manually drop the ncu memory in slots other then 1, right clicking them only replaces the one in slot 1.
    Rimor Server
    Robotgubben lvl 173/14/29 engineer