Thread: The old stories

The old stories

The old stories should be told... not for the sake of pride nor registration, but for those who wasn't present or too young to've experienced the battles of the old "titans" of AO...

so here is a draft of a story from Inner Circle and our involvment in the beginning of the Notum wars.

...Women, how they haunt this story.

When I first began writing Dengs story, I thought it would be a tale of men; a chronicle of blades and beams, of battles won, frontiers made and of broken alliances, ruined treaties and destruction of guilds, as I believe that is how stories are told on Rubi-Ka. You know… the honor issue and all.
    Man have a tendency of trying to create history, but in this very one, they brought Rubi-Ka low in their attempt. There were many of us… we thought Rubi-Ka lay at our command for we were warriors, at least some of us… But all in all, it was the woman who did the greater damage, and I suppose in some ways this is also their tale for a woman was the nemesis of organisations.
    “Who the...?” Most of you will demand when you read this.
    Those of you who fought with me, are already aware that I don’t like to fire my specials too early in the battle and I don’t intend on giving anything away too early here either.

I reside in the monastery outside house Haiku under the protection of The Dojo where I write “his” story. I write at the command of a few young Martial artists, too young to have known the former President of IC, though he himself rarely used the title. If I’m not mistaken, he’d use “teddy” or something along that line.

The tale grows a bit darker now and difficult to tell. Sometimes, when I think of him, I see his noontime as a sun-bright day, yet the clouds came faster than before. At times we didn’t see the sun at all. It happened during the Notum Wars, when Clanners, whom Deng had thought as enemies, but always had respected and received respect from, swiped counties with fearsome attacks and more than before had focused on taking over IC-controlled land.

“Men are fools”, the young female MA drily spit out.
    “They are, from time to time, but Deng was an Atrox” I reply with a smile
    The young MA, now terribly offended that an old trader could even begin to think about correcting someone of her house turns her nose roof-high, makes a sniffing noise and looks at me as a child trying to say “I was just testing you”.
    I continue the tale…

It was a season of blood, a season of retribution. Lordbedwyr and his clan Yagyu had fled south after the attack on the Belail Forrest village next to the Mining compound. Deng and his generals would dearly have loved to pursue him, but other clans were now the greater danger. They had advanced far and reports didn’t promise good times. Some of the soldiers and warriors of Inner Circle was on the breach of collapse. Had it not been for the assistance of Project Eden, Project Starlight and The Dojo, Deng would’ve had more than just a gaunt on his face. He wiped his staff, the “punisher”. “Next spring… they will be back”

“Don’t be absurd. We’ll have enough men to fight back next time” Amberrai said. She was a young woman, graceful in her beauty, delicate in her steps. Her past as Clan didn’t exactly make it easy for her to take her steps out on the battlefield… She was fond of hunting and talking for ages about something as trivial as a leet and how on earth it was born with its vocabulary. Grontha, Antashi and I, Generals of Inner Circle were present in High-rise 6, our base of operation inside Omni-Trade district discussing how to survive the coming season as it seemed people were deserting to clan as they seemed superior in number and equipment. At the discovery of Tarasque in the dungeon, few realized what treasures her bowel contained and that the skin, filled to its peak with high concentration nano-energy, made armour beyond anything we’d used up till then. Summoning of the Dragon wasn’t a problem in itself, but the availability of getting there for both omni-guilds and clans led to a constant front there. Shtylez, being one of the few Deng would turn to for advice and fight-practice described the entire tarasque-incident as “Another god damn gold-f*ckin-fever” (note, Shtylez is hard to misinterpit. Clear in his messages) and that’s exactly what became of Camelot… It might’ve been the salvage of our cities as clan guilds were busy fighting within over the precious pieces of the dragon. We thought things would stay that way… but then came the discovery of Notum…

Notum, a mineral so excellent and flawless that it creates excellent armor, enhances weapons and fortifies the precious defence walls. The only problem – it has to be mined in large scales and can only be found in certain places. The mines close to Omni-1 had been fairly safe and I suppose we could’ve lived on that, but when oceans of quality-notum was discovered in unoccupied territories and border-counties, the fights began again.. Tarasque was no more important. The notum had bred Mercenaries, powerful chiefs that defended valuable new weapons, Dengs “Punishment Rod” being one of them. Soldiers would get their hands on Terrible Hellfuries and Hellspinner cannons no one really knew how to replicate. Special guns, Armour and Nanoprograms was found, but perhaps most significant of all, was the Diamond matrix mesh, combined with a blade from the Mantis Queen… the Enhanced Queen Blade was born, and Enforcers entered a new era of domination on the battlefield. New armour that would keep them alive combined with this new weapon allowed even the amateur enforcer to claim his kills on the battlefield.

----------------
    “Get on with the story and skip the enforcer rubbish”, the young MA demands. I turn to her wondering if I am going to tell her about her mothers involvement in this story… Chronita, spiritual and tactical leader of majority of the Martial Artists on Rubi-ka. Even on Clan-side she was respected and well known. How the frag did she end up with a daughter like this? I think I’ll give the story some continuance.

----------------
    Deng approached me as I was testing out guns in the Holo-world.
    We met here many years ago. He had joined the Omni-tek forces where I’d been assigned to duty as senior officer and instructor training new sodliers. We’d grown in rank and order side by side and had a somewhat depending relation. I wouldn’t do anything huge without consulting him first, he never went to war without having a talk with me… as a reality check to confirm that he was the “good guy”. If there was anything he ever needed, it was reassurance that he was the “good guy”, not a ravaging beast who made peoples life miserable.
    “We’re too few” he said with a low and sighing tone. “New fighters have come”, I corrected him. I always thought we would be ok when our wing reached 100 fighters, which was the directive Omni-tek had given us. We were supposed to gather this amount to form a frontline-wall, but the calculations were based on Clan-numbers 2 years ago, and we knew they were far more now. “We have, what… 30 experienced fighters, only a few well equipped”. I was somewhat insulted of this statement. I’d taken my pride in producing and equipping the guild with Carbonium, Dragon and CAS armor of excellent quality.
    “training the rest of the youngsters will probably make us ready in accordance to directives, but both you and I know that we’ll be 1 omni for every 2 or 3 clanner on the battlefield, and most of them have tasted more than one fight” he said looking at me. I saw where the discussion was going, and I didn’t like it… We’d discussed merging and diplomacy for a long time. Diplomacy is a delicate matter on Rubi-ka. First of all, we are not allowed to make deals with clans without omni-tek forming the deal (they usually look like this: “Clan surrender to be executed, omni take over area” which, of course, is nothing but a beaurocratic way of avoiding any communication between clans and omni), so if we want to do that, it will have to be done secretly and all we rely on is a handshake, which is more than enough for a true warrior, but sadly… the dune of clan/omni treaty-history are marked with treason and betrayal to the extend that some say trust will never grow there again.
    The other option is Merging with another guild, which we are allowed to do at any time, but still it has been tried before.. twice, and neither have succeeded and it’s considered a last option.
    “So…” I said. “Where are you sending me, then?”. “Clan Yagyu”, Deng said. I felt the blood pressure skyrocket as I repeated his words to check if my ear implant was messed up.
    He put a hand on my shoulder. “Baffy… I have had contact with this clan for a long time, and I know that you are respected in their halls as well. I have arranged a meeting with you and Lordbedwyr in 2 days. You will go there, and you will bring Zemanova along”. I looked at him with begging eyes. “I’ll attend to the training and recruitment of new soldiers myself while you handle these little things” he concluded and started walking towards the exit.
    “Little things?” I shouted. “Little things?!?”. He turned to me and said as he usually says before we enter a battle “There are worse ways of dying”, just this time, without his usual barbaric grin. I always pictured the two of us end our days together back to back cut down by a barbaric hoard of clanners.

--------------
    The young MA looks at me, clearly curious as to what happened to me, almost as she’s not sure if I survived it… Obviously, I did survive to tell this tale, and the meeting with Lordbedwyr in Newland Desert ended up with some sort of agreement… he even brought the word further into clan camp and we had an easy winter. Our mining operations went smoothly. Now what we agreed on, is another thing… and as I said, I like to save the candy for the finale. I can tell you that my companion and I bonded in a very special way on that trip…
    “There are worse ways to die?” the young MA said. “and better” I said curtly. She gazed at me for a second and decided I hadn’t earned her respect just yet, so she waved her hand at me to continue the tale.
    Deng - Enforcer

Currently a bit busy

Christopher Scales is my real name… Everyone called me Baffy, Baffle or “sir”, as I was a general and battle commander of a fine guild with a long tradition in Rubi-kaen history. When we enlist as soldiers, it is traditional to leave our birth given name and take on a new. As a kid, I was always asking questions being a nosy runt always wanting information about everything, and I took my pride in outsmarting people by talking them into a head spin. Therefore I took the name “Evilbaffle”, a trader. I ended up being a skilled within biology and mechanics as well as nano-technology, something way too many people got to know… I spent hours daily producing items, preparing implants, enhancing weapons and instructing others in how to do it. Deng always teased me about that and called me a tradeskill-prostitute.

The winter had passed, Inner Circle had recruited amazingly many people, and I was still getting used to having them around. Grontha and Antashi, the reliable, stable and fearless warriors, both enforcers, were training the new fighters as well as possible, but they still lacked experience… it’s said that 2 days of fighting measures up for 2 years of practice.
    The season of battles would arrive soon as the gas that winter brought, which made fighting impossible, cleared up.

“What about the women?” the young MA complains stating with her hands stretched to the side signalling that I’ve left something out of the story.
    “aah.. let me fill you in on something here… Have you read your history books on guild history?” I ask her hoping that I won’t have to explain IC’s history once again. “Yes yes yes, I’m not a blubbag, you know” she says.
    “very well… then you know that the existence of this guild has been threatened twice before the great battle of Mort?” I ask. “Yes yes, the division that formed other guilds etc etc etc. Spare me the repetition” she says impatient for me to get to the point. “Then perhaps you can tell me why this happened?”… I doubt that she knows…

-------------------
    The books of Guild-histories is one of the many things that has to be approved by Omni-tek… They read, they modify and publish, so history is rarely told as it happened. The nasty truths are usually censored with omni-goggles as we say to signal that there is order and control. That IC was divided due to over-population isn’t exactly the truth… There were terrible fights in the early days of Inner Circle… All the experienced fighters fought over equipment, hunting grounds and worst of all… women. To be exact, it went both ways. Women fought over men as well as the other way around. In the end, I will not mention names, but there were two women who gave Grontha, the leader at that time, more worries than what a man should have to carry. I think he would not have left command to someone else had it not been for this. I do believe he enjoyed the task as guild leader, but not as a babysitter.

I’d packed to leave and was taking a last look at my apartment as Zemanova showed up. She’d made her own preparations to leave for 10-11 hours straight, and I suspected she’d been trying to fit some sort of weapon somewhere the clanners would be unable to find it in case she was caught. She was an agent and an Opifex. Her and Cerribral, another opi-agent of IC was often used as frontline scouts as they were practically invisible if they wanted to be. This time, however, Deng told me she had another task. Should the negotiations with Yagyu end up in disaster, she was to get me out of there. Zemanovas, with her amazing ability to focus and aim, could with ease hit whatever was within visual range if you gave her a tenth of a second. Later that evening, we left from Belail, heading towards the primary base of Yagyu.
    Although they were fewer in number than many other clans, Yagyu was known to be fearless in battle and one of them was said to measure up to 5 fighters.

The last thing Deng told me before I left was “One battle… we may only have one battle. When the clanners come, Baffy, they will outnumber us… even if Adrastus send all their men, we shall be outnumbered… do this and I’ll stuff you so full of Bronto-filèt when you succeed that you’ll never be hungry again!”.

As if…

With Zemanova at my tail we reached the end of Wine, our territory, and started to fly higher to avoid the border-scanners omni-tek had put up “to warn us in case of incoming clans”.
    “Why are you doing this, Baffle?” I heard her say over the com-system. “hmm?” I mumbled back. She sighed… “Why are you doing this meeting? A general who have no prior experience with diplomacy should not be sent out to die like this… why not send one of our beurocrats or something to do the work?”.
    I thought about it for a second. “Well… I think the idea was to show that we are serious about this, and will risk more than a talker to get this deal through”. She sighed again and I almost thought she was worried about me. “No matter what happens, promise me you will not doubt me, ok?” she said. I shrugged and told her we’d have a beer after all this was over.
    Eventually, we reached the boarder of Yagyu protected space. Zemanova had already got out of her yalm and was sneaking her way around the border-guards before I, as agreed, walked with my hands out, in casual outfit towards their guard towers.

About 40 paces from the towers I stopped. I’d already seen 4-5 red dots moving up and down my chest. “I am Evilbaffle! I am here to meet Lordbedwyr”, I shouted. A man and a woman stepped out from behind the towers, both wearing dark heavily padded overcoats. I stepped towards them, turning around as I walked to show I was unarmed. Seconds later, I was blindfolded, placed in a Carrier craft….and in the cauldron of the enemy I was swimming.

We never pass out on an opportunity to retell the rumours and tales from the battlefield.
    I rarely believe many of them as they are primarily told to bring enthusiasm, pride and courage to our fighters. Some, however, are made to ensure that our soldiers don’t rush into battle. 3 fresh soldiers ganging up in a chase on one experienced fighter often lead to the death of the hunters. Clan Yagyu was especially well known for that. It had been told that a couple of their traders would simply walk up to an opponent, drain his life and wits, root and leave him for someone else to finish. Not an honourable death for a soldier. Blinded and tied up, I wondered if that would be my bane. We arrived at the town of Yagyu…

When my eyesight had returned to normal after removing the blindfold, I was relieved with what I met. Cheerful people talking to each others, singing songs, eating, drinking… just as we did in our spare time. I felt like a halfwit as the stories on how clanners live had gotten somewhat through to me. Enemy carcasses plunged to stakes on their gates, Sabretooths walking the streets and even kids armed to their teeth is the impression of clans Omni-tek served their employees.

I was shown to a room, told to wait there for the General to come see me. The interior of the room was different than what I was used to. Glass windows instead of the force-field windows we were used to, A fan in the ceiling instead of the climate-regulating system in my apartment and most impressive of all, a wooden table. The window faced towards the woods, and I spent a second thinking about how easy it would be to just sneak out and leave, but I left the idea, as I would probably die of starvation if I was lucky enough to escape the hunters that would chase me. Half an hour later, still waiting for “the general” to come, I noticed a new red dot, this time not on my chest, but moving up and down on the wall. I quickly turned and looked out the window. About a kilometre away I saw a bush moving slowly… Zemanova obviously found her spot.

As I turned, the door swung open. “And you are Evilbaffle, I presume”, a man said with a strong voice. I nodded back and reached out a hand to greet him. “I am Lordbedwyr, General of Clan Yagyu” he said, and returned the gesture. He followed me to a building marked with a red cross. “We will talk shortly, but first I need to show you something” he said drily. We went inside the building, a hall, filled with beds, stenched with a smell of nano bandage.
    The OT-hospitals weren’t for public to see, and you would be placed in a single room without communication until your recovery was complete. This was new and strange to me… The majority of the patients were hardly older than 14-15 summers and some even younger.

“You might think we are monsters sending out kids like these in battle, Omni… But the truth is that these kids have never seen a battlefield”. I met his eyes and decided to hear him out. “They are of the few who survived the attack on the Broken Shores outpost. Neither soldiers nor defence walls was prepared, as they were poor, neutral workers who didn’t pose a threat to anyone… but they weren’t listed as Omni-tek, and when they didn’t move as the Soldiers came… well, here is the result”. I was shocked, and it showed… to my luck. I have later though that this was probably a test to see if an Omni had a heart. It became clear to me why Deng hadn’t sent a Beurocrat to negotiate, and I was annoyed that he took advantage of my disgust towards humane injustice.

We walked across the village, some people wondered who I was, and I believe I recognized a face or two from the posters of war-criminals often posted at big screens around omni-1. Eventually we reached his house, a plain box with a window on each side and branches reaching over the roof. Inside, he pulled up 2 chairs to a table and made a gesture for me to sit. As I did, he folded his hands. “So… tell me why you are here”. I almost panicked. “Haven’t you been informed already?” I said somewhat insecure if this was another test or if he really had no idea why I was here. “I have been told that a representative from Inner Circle would arrive and that he had a deal to present” he said looking at me wondering what was going on. ‘god damn you, Deng’ I thought as I realized this wasn’t just a trip to smile and exchange handshakes… ‘all the bronto-steak in the world won’t make up for this’ I thought.
    “I…. I don’t know yet” I said with a terribly low voice as I felt a bullet plunge through my chest. It all went so fast. The sound of the rifle came half a second later.

I threw myself to the ground trying to execute the few healing nano-programs I had that would ease the pain somewhat while lying there, but to no use. Lordbedwyr had already leaped from his chair and within a fragment of a second, he aimed and fired in the direction he thought the shooter was firing from, but did nothing but vaporize the window. He shouted for men to pursuit the assassin and turned to me to check if I was alive. “What the heck is going on?” he barked at me. Confused and stressed out over the fact that I had a bullet in my body I blurted out “I don’t know… what are you doing?”. Then it all became dark.
    Deng - Enforcer

Currently a bit busy

“You are a lucky pig of an omni”, the doctor told me. ‘Doc. MJ’ I read as I looked at her doctors-nametag. I sat up, looked at my chest and wondered why on earth I was alive “That bastard of an Outcast sniper will probably have to shove bronto-dung for a year when their council discovers you are alive the very next day after your supposed death”. I wondered what on earth the doc was talking about, sat up and noticed a new set of clothes was prepared for me. Nice gesture… I wouldn’t feel comfortable walking around with a bullet-hole. “Lordbedwyr is waiting for you at the Conductor right south of his quarters” she said and looked at me with a stone-face.
    A painfully long walk later, I found Lordbedwyr adjusting a Notum drill on a conductor. “Welcome back” he said, put the tools away and followed me to his quarters.
    “What happened back there?” I said while we were entering the room. “Outcasts sniffed up the news about your visit. Ambitious little sniper tried to take you out to provoke an IC attack on us rather than them”. He supported me as I sat down. “What happened to the sniper?” I asked. “He ate his own medicine, and is sent back in a bag to Outcast HQ”. Lordbedwyr seemed even more troubled than before and silently said “I have been instructed to make a deal with your guild by my leader. You will rest now, and we’ll work it out tomorrow” It was late, and I went to my designated room.

Around 3.30 am, the chirops usually start looking for food. Their diet consists of worms daring to descend to the surface or hiding in dead trees, and if you’re awake around then, you’ll hear a pecking sound once in a while.
    I did at least… but I don’t think a chirop would search my window for worms. I looked from my bed and saw Zemanova’s face smiling mildly at me. I opened the window slowly and she snuck inside without a sound. I closed the window and turned to her. “I’m sorry I’m sorry I’m sorry” she whispered almost bursting into tears. “huh?” I blurted out. “I’m so awfully sorry Baffy… I didn’t want to shoot you, and I’m so sorry I couldn’t tell you but Deng said…” I put a hand over her mouth. “What on earth is going on here, Zema?” I whispered confused. I could hear someone walking towards my room from the hall. Probably a guard that’d heard some noises from my room. In a second she opened the window and jumped out. I closed the window as my door was opened. “hehe.. damn chirops annoying the crap out of me” I lied. The Atrox guard just grumbled, closed the door and went back to his half-sleep duty in the hall.

I sat down on the bed… What just happened? What on earth does Zemanova have to do with this? …and Deng? It all started to spin. The next day, after some caffeine injections, I sat down, made a non-aggression pact on behalf of IC with the Generals of Clan Yagyu. We raised our glasses and shook hands on the agreement in front of the people to make it official.
    It would be a good winter.

“What about the women!!!!” The young martial artist looks at me with frustrated eyes.
    I give her a pat on the head, get up and as I walk out, I tell her… as I tell you, the readers…

“I’ll tell you more about it later”.

Deng - Enforcer

Currently a bit busy

Aye it is indeed fine piece of history, and it should be made known for all the young recruits.
    The past of Rubi-Ka is very complicated.. Nothing like what we have today.
    I miss the time when men were men, and women were men.
    Today we are all cattle.

(More, more, more!! Who wrote it.. you trough the eyes of Baffy.. or did Baff write it and you post it?
    Anyway.. great stuff.. really enjoy reading it.. And was suprising twist on the story I did not expect.. )
    Banishedsoul 220 Trader on RK2 - [eqp] Proud General of Disciples of Omni-Tek
    Thordek 60 Soldier on RK2 - Twink in Training Visit us at www.disciplesot.org
    Naull 100 Doctor on RK2 - Going for 125 for CH whoring. After that who knows..
    My type is a SAE
    Socializer 86% / Achiever 46% / Explorer 46% / Killer 20%

hah, great story
    Delerium(220/30/70), Locklear(220/30/70), Piggybank(60/6/14).

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Richard Dawkins: We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    Deng: Every time I see Del I just start to quiver.

omg good stuff never actually read all that in one text hehe
    good decision to make it a chronicle
    me wants more

((Like that little MA girlie I am on the tip of my chair))
    Proud agent of the Disciples of Omni-Tek

Commissioner of the RKDC

"One should not lose one's temper unless one is certain of getting more and more angry to the end."
    William Butler Yeats

ol'faithful'deng nice lill bedtime story hehehe, be sure to print ur copy here

nice work deng, when does the movie come? Healenough?

[220/22/01] Desperad0 - Enforcer
    [220/20/59] Minidesp - Agent

Where is the rest!? ><
    ME - The insulting player.

Alphamale - 211 Opi Agent.
    Cadavere - 216 - Trox Keeper. [Currently Playing]
    Chainsauw - 209 Trox Adv.
    Ghosthour - 203 soli Agent.
    Idaemon - 185 Soli Trader.
    Idargh - 165 Trox MA.
    Idaargh - Trox Fixer.
    Yuroichi - 209 Soli Engie.

Great, just and simply great.

((dont forget me deng we used to fight all day in mmd ;p ahh i miss thoes days. Nerf ur trader... oh wait... ^^)
    Whine more plz I feed on your tears

Ethernal- "Friends don't let friends infonet drunk"

My internet is waaaay faster than yours so you can suck my fiberoptic!

Havent looked at forums in a long time, Nice one Dengy =]
    *nerfs and hugs*

In production more *will* come hehe
    Deng - Enforcer

Currently a bit busy

Nice work D, even I liked it. :P
    Tykahndriuss 220/27 Enforcer Crap Equip
    Have you seen my stapler?
    Former Tank Monkey of CCI, DF, HUGE inc., Adrastus II - RK2

great great!

although u have lots of time to cover with the chronicle, i cant wait till u get to the neverending battle of EFP where clan defended their base day for day, and omni attacked day after day, only to see the base completely built up again. ! day the clanners won, next day was omni day, next day we got CT to 5% before it went 75% again, and on and on.....these were the days
    Darkstring - Agent in training
    Darkbeak Sol 220 - Board Member of IC
    -------------------------
    ...call my name and save me from the Dark...
    *Bring me to life*, Evanescense
    I have opinions of my own --strong opinions-- but I don't always agree with them. -George Bush
    Caution: Cape does not enable user to fly." - American Batman costume warning label

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeak
    great great!

although u have lots of time to cover with the chronicle, i cant wait till u get to the neverending battle of EFP where clan defended their base day for day, and omni attacked day after day, only to see the base completely built up again. ! day the clanners won, next day was omni day, next day we got CT to 5% before it went 75% again, and on and on.....these were the days
    mmmm

[220/22/01] Desperad0 - Enforcer
    [220/20/59] Minidesp - Agent