Thread: Time To Say Goodbye

Time To Say Goodbye

It was never raining over the white city of Jobe, but tonight, in Jen's heart, a storm was raging... one of despair, of sadness, and most of all, of fear. Fear of failing, once again, in this final goal she had set for herself. Fear of never finding what she was desperately looking for. Fear of what people would say, of what her few friends left would say, fear of making a huge mistake. But her decision was now set, after all these long, sleepless nights spent crying and pondering; in her hearts of hearts, she knew that she had to go, if only to retain the last bits of sanity left in her after the devastation caused by the constant trials and losses. If only to try and persuade herself that, somewhere, he was still alive and wanting to see her again.

This is crazy, Jen-chan, and you know it.
    Yeah. And I dun 't care, Heiji. I dun't.
    For Grid's sake, you don't even know if he's still alive... or still on this world, for that matter...!
    ...Yeah, but I hafta try. I hafta! Else, I'll...

A sudden wave of despair half-swallowed her thought, but the feeling was easily conveying what she had meant though. Else I'll get mad. He knew that it wasn't only a manner of speaking; he couldn't count anymore the amount of times she had cried, broken glasses and various other items, ravaged the appartment in bursts of rage an d anger at herself, or spent hours curled in a ball on the bed or sofa. She was getting mad, in a way, mad of being alone, of having seen everyone go, of having lost her husband once again, of the constant pressure placed on her shoulders, the directorship, the office duties, the alien threat, the paperwork, and all these hopes and expectations put in her by too many people. And now, this last hope was what she was clutching at, so desperately. The hope that, somewhere, there in the faraway lands, he was still alive.

It wasn't a hope born of thin air, even. In the last times before his disappearance, he had told her so many times how he wanted to find a way for her to not suffer anymore, to chase away the nightmares, to get her rid of the constant pain tearing her body, the pain that had never left her since she had touched the Shadows, more than one year ago. The chance was thin, but to her, it was better than the other explanations - that he was dead, or that he had left her because he didn't love her anymore. Maybe he had gone there, where communications were hard and scarce, gone there, to find a cure, a solution, or at least an explanation to what was slowly eating her from the inside... and as small as the chances would be, she would take them, this time.

Sure this is what you really want to do? About the department and all...
    Said I'd close it fer now, right? They can live without me...
    And not warning anyone?
    I dun't want anyone to see me go... I dun't want 'em to see me cry.

Tears were welling in her eyes again, and Jen quickly wiped them off with the back of her gloved hand while absently finishing to pack up the few belongings she'd bring with her - her gun and a knife, army rations, some clothes, and what she needed to find her way there. The armor, she was already wearing it. The small laptop... she looked at it for a long moment, then stuffed it in the backpack as well. She wouldn't have access to the Grid there, but she was too used to having it with her, and at least she could look at a few old pictures on it and dream of the good old times. Her comm-unit... she already knew that in many areas, it'd be a useless piece of junk, yet she wouldn't mind the silence, for once. In a few minutes, she'd be ready to go.

The messages?...
    They all ready... gonna send 'em now...

Opening her wristpad, Jen loaded in the messages she was about to send. There wouldn't be many recipients; she hadn't many friends left, and for the rest... she didn't really care anymore. She read them again a last time, feeling her determination waver for a moment; could she go away like this, without a real warning, with just a few messages?... Ironically enough, it was the exact same thing Raquel had done, when she had joined the Clans - only telling when it was already too late. However, she probably couldn't go if she had to face people to let them know. She'd let them trap her on Rubi-Ka again, in her responsibilities, in her daily routine... in her own despair, where she was slowly drowning. and who would care about that?

She would have wanted to kiss Lemmy goodbye, but Lemmy was gone too.

***Loading mail list...***
    ***Done***

To: Infinite Circle, Board of Directors
    Subject: Resigning

To Charissa, Cristin, Katia and Hanshi

My apologies that things have come to this, but I must go fer some time. I'm hopin' that this will be a temporary situation... still, I can't give any dates of return an' whatever. I've taken dispositions regarding tha infrastructure, so no worries 'bout this, hardware an' all... just, I won't be very available on comm and direct liaison. If there's any problem... just send me a grid-mail, I should be able to read dat regularly 'nuff...

- Jen Markarian
    Vector Blue - Director

To: Vector Blue (department)
    Subject: Temporary close-down

Fellow colleagues... and friends...

I ain't fer long an' winded stuff, as ya know... so I'm just gonna be straight to tha point. I'm gonna be away fer some time, an' I dunno when I'll be fully back. Given tha currently low activity, I doubt tha department will suffer from it 'nyway. Take this as a long-due break, or as an opportunity to mebbe do what suits ya better? I'm gonna miss ya, in any case. I've really appeciated workin' with ya all during all these months, and i'll always cherish this memory an' feeling... this I needed to letcha know.

Until things go better again,
    - Jen

The young woman looked at the last message a second time, hesitating for a brief moment. But she then swallowed hard, shook her head, and pushed the Send button with a trembling finger.

To: Dinnen, Hayley
    Subject: I'm sorry

Dear Hayley,

Please forgive me fer sending this message... I jus' couldn't say it t'ya face to face, 'cuz I know that it'd have probably prevented me from goin', an' that ain't tha solution... I need to be away. I need to go there an' fight what I've always been too chicken ta fight. I need to go look fer Malcom, even if tha chances fer me to find 'im are so very thin... cuz if I dun't do it, I'm just gonna get nuts.

I so regret al ltha things I should've done an' didn't... that I won't be present... and that I haven't been very supportive with tha baby too... I hope that ya'll forgive me one day fer this. I probably wasn't a good enuff friend, but I've tried to do my best.. and I'll try again, if ya still want me when... if... I'm back.

I can't find words to tell ya how much I've appreciated our friendship, though, nor how much I liked havin' ya by my side. So instead... I think... I'm gonna give ya my best wishes of happiness fer ya an' Tua... for yer family... ya'll so deserve it...

Love,
    - Jen

With a sad little smile, Jen closed down her wristpad, grabbing her backpack to throw it on her shoulder. One last time, she cast a look around her, at the vast apartment she had been living in since the Portal had been opened; it still was in a mess, but she hadn't had the will to clean it. No one would care nor enter in, and in that moment, it wasn't important, just a place she was leaving behind, with the vague thought of maybe coming back one day. One last time, she also looked at her tired reflection in the window, at her white-striked hair loosely tight on the back of her neck, at this face that was hers yet that she couldn't recognize anymore. A very faint smile of encouragement came to play on her lips for a second, before fading again. Then, picking up a long coat and the few items she hadn't packed, the young woman silently strolled through the living room and corridor, toward the door.

When she exited the building to take the direction of the Portal, she didn't even look behind her once.

In my hands
    A legacy of memories
    I can hear you say my name
    I can almost see your smile
    Feel the warmth of your embrace
    But there is nothing but silence now

-
    Within Temptation, Our Farewell -

((OOC: And this is my - temporary, I hope - "withdrawal" from AO. I currently don't have much time nor motivation to go on being a full part of the roleplay scene, and although I don't exactly want to quit - no, don't ask, don't even think of it, you'll never see me perma-kill my char in a last melodramatic scene - I'm very aware that I can't bring anything to the RP right now, nor push myself to really play. So, consider me "in the background" for... an undefined amount of time? I'll very likely pop on the chat client and perhaps in-game at times for some "casual activities" (read: blitzing and chatting), so I'm not exactly "gone", but you see the picture.

A big thanks, in any case, to all the roleplayers I've met during my 2,5 years in AO - to those who are gone for a long-time, even if they'll never read this, to those who've gone recently, to those who're still here. I've had excellent moments, and who knows, depending on how things evolve, maybe there'll be others again at some later point? A big thanks to Infinite Circle Also, a big hug to all the people in Vector. I'm sorry that I haven't been a very good leader, with my dwindling time and lack of motivation in the last months, and for this I apologize, but I want you guys to know that I've really liked these months spent RPing together. Once again - who knows, maybe someday things will go better and we can start again?

Until then... not so long, but thanks for the fish all the same.))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

Fixerben materializes outside the portal in Jobe, catching a passing glimpse of a woman he hasnt seen in a long time, as his eyes come into focus from the teleporting. He walks toward his apartment trying to remember the face.

Standing on his balcony, taking in the atmosphere he realizes who it was. At the same time noticing the backpack she had carried and wondered where she was going. She looked like she had somewhere to go, a sense of determination, and yet sadness in her eyes. He'd seen this before, in himself, and immediately understood what had happened.

The wind swept his hair gently as he stood high in the atmosphere floating above the surface of Rubi-Ka. He prayed for safe travel for Demenzia, and that she may find peace where her heart leads her.

((Didnt RP much with you, but the little we did was fun. GL in RL Demenzia.))

Benjamin "Fixerben" Bacarella - L212 AL10
    Haywood "Brawlking" Jablomy - L220 AL21

((Don't feel bad about it, Dem; it happens to everyone at one point of another. Maybe a break is exactly what you need or maybe you just need to move on to something else. Either way, it's very difficult to recognize when you need to step back and even more difficult to do so, but everyone needs to do it eventually. Personally, I've "slipped into the background" a couple of times and found my interest greatly renewed after some time off (even if, when I came back, I was tripping all over my keyboard and blowing myself up for a while afterwards ).

You've been a huge part of the rp scene and one of the earliest names that I can remember; someone mysterious and interesting whose name I would hear often. I remember seeing you around the Rompa Bar and wondering to myself, "Who *is* this lunatic who talks so strangely???" You and others from back then (Ditzie, Thyme, Valaik, Lupoh, Trellame, Diamondcut, Meister (yes, even Meister) just to name a few) were all a part of introducing me to roleplaying and, quite frankly, some of you actually scared me - and not just IC either - since it all was just... crazy! Thank you for that mystery and all the great stories and I hope to see you around here again some day. ))
    Last edited by Nevver; Nov 23rd, 2004 at 00:28:20.
    Janella "Nevver" McCallagher
    Board Member of
    Devil's Advocate
    .·´¯`·..·»
    Why settle for less when you can oppress?

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain
    "Nevver: Like the thing that hides in your closet. But worse." - Gueve

Also known as...
    Jacquelynn "Kaitakait" Moscardelli
    Sun "
    Jamais" Soleil
    Sari "
    Nixis" Wagner

(( *hugs for her favorite Gridmistress* It's a sad day, anyway, but I know how things have been going for ya, sis, and I'm of the opinion that whatever it takes to make you happy, is what you should do.

Perhaps you can recharge your RP batteries for another romp on Rubi-ka in the future... I'm only glad that I managed to be there to see you and Demenzia develop. I'll always count you amongst my favorite to Roleplay with, and will never forget all the adventures we had, whether it be hacking into computer systems or hurling cutie misfits over a waterfall.

Love ya, Jenae. ))
    Lauri
    Cookiemonger

The Original GSP Groupie

(( As Nevver said its sometimes good to step back from things...heck I know that myself. Playing these things can get seriously bad for you, what with sitting for hours on end drinking and doing little else than rant at a screen. I know from personal experience that sticking to MMOGs is bad for you, and me taking a few months away from playing them did improve things alot (loosing 30lbs by not playing MMOGs was a major improvement). But yes, there is more to things than that in a land called RK. Good luck with where the future takes you. ))
    Major "Nyadach" Prabel
    Neutral and proud of it!

((take care Dem. Hope this break does good for you and that we see you again soon. Been a pleasure (even though we didn't get lots of opportunities to rp together, was always a pleasure in IC )))
    AO is not just about pvp, or Rp or power lvling. It is about whatever the players choose to bring to it. Don't make it personal against one of these groups because you feel nerfed by the game company.

Atlantian: "Jesska Rhees" - lvl 153 Crat - retired
    Rimor: Krazee "Lilyflie" Madness - lvl 103 ENF - semi around again

Notices a message from Jen Markarian. Cristin reads the message and then makes a confused face.

Well that is interesting....Yet another resignation in the past three weeks. Something odd is going on here.

Cristin replys to the message.

(( Bah! Sad to see you go Demenzia. It seems not a lot of us have time to devote to AO anymore. Well I hope your break from AO gets you unbusy to return to AO .

Untill then it has been great working with you Demenzia, you will be missed greatly. ))

Noholds stops working on the latest RUR project to view the grid mail on the screen.'' 'To: Infinite Circle, Board of Directors
    Subject: Resigning

To Charissa, Cristin, Katia and Hanshi

My apologies that things have come to this, but I must go fer some time. I'm hopin' that this will be''

Noholds saids, ''Whaaa! oh no! Miss Jen . She is resigning and leaving for sometime. I hope she finds what she is looking for. '' He yells to the rest of the crew, ''Hey guys take some time off today ,take a break and tell Jen what a great
    leader she is."

In another part of Rk, Rheena was just finishing her business in Omni Hq and saw
    a familiar face go towards the grid. Before the woman could enter the grid, she flew over to her. ''I thought it was you . The clouds were darknening and that could only mean some sad news . Allthough we only met briefly here, i wish you
    peace and happiness in all you do."'

(I hope you find your happiness and spirit once again . Yes sometimes a break is what one needs. )

((Thanks for the kind words, all... Yeah, I know the break was needed, and at least I know that whatever the outcome, it'll be a good thing for me - either I can come back "stronger", or not come back at all and this will improve other things. I'm sorry though for those of you whom I "abandoned", including the IC folks, but it was just getting too hard, and seriously, you don't want the bitchy and negative me anyway, so....))
    Jen Markarian - Put the weirdness back in Omni-Mining
    Updating my stories -- 19/03/08. Going slowly, but certainly
    Anarchy Reloaded - AO webcomics for the sake of being silly

I never want to lose what I have finally found
    There's a requiem
    A new congregation
    And it's telling me: go forward and walk
    Under a brighter sky
    -- Delerium, Euphoria --

((I have hesitated to post since this isn't an OOC goodbye for us.. after all I don't plan on losing touch with you.. but I do want to thank you for all the fun memories in AO. Maybe there'll be a revival in AO someday... but if not, there are still so many other avenues for your creativity to be put to good use... as long as you never let that die then I'll always be happy for whatever you choose to do. Take care. ))
    Nezhinau 220/23 Engineer
    Building QL 300 Mutated AI Crabs Omnified with 5 gems!
    Also: 220 MA, 220 Crat, 167 Fixer, 155 MP, Dr. Toot

(You'll be missed Demz, you know that. We've talked about this quite a few times..
    Take care Demz

Always looked up to ya.

- DG/Mirkle)
    ~Trolls~
    Malcom "Chamaelo" Ashwell - Ex-Immortal.
    Vanguard Adriaan "Demongun" Blackwind - Hermit.
    Jawquez "Jawalooc" Loocazt - Bounty Hunter.
    Michael "Mirkle" Kreble - Creep.
    Christopher "Xelger" Junior - Coffee Maker.

Child Of The Omni - The Boy With The Kitten - Sleepless - The Storm/Breathe - Terminal

"You've just got to keep writing, if that's what makes you happy,
    even when there is no indication anyone is actually reading your work." - Savoy