Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Definitive Research on Best PvM Doc Weapons Thread

Doh! I knew that about dual-wield too as I have an Advy... totally forgot for this calculation.

Ok... more adjustments needed.

/bio
    Biochemyst, TL7 Eternalist with Scalpels
    Sombris, TL5 spoiled-brat Shade
    Agoniste, TL 6 Adventurer with gimpy gear

Originally posted by Agamundos
    The point of AO is to make hecklers extinct, its a never-ending battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Portulis
    Correct.

Its tricky to figure out what max damage is.

At 217 I find myself in cast mode most of the time. Dot dot dot heal heal ubt.

Really the only way to make a good estimate is on a mob like Afreet or a 250 heckler like Syros and use DD to report results. Weapon damage, dot damage, etc.

On a huge hp mob, you'll be healing, dotting, hitting specials, etc over a long enough period of time to make the damage results reproduciible..

Actually, maybe a guardian would be a better example, since they don't use debuffs.
    That would be ideal experimentation; but no one has the IPR's or all of the gear necessary to fully test out all the combinations. (Unless the test server is different?)

/bio

Takes me 7 minutes to solo a Chaotic Heckler without using DoTs. Perhaps Bio would like to come along and stand next to me while I whack away at one to give a rough idea of the max DPM from weapon damage only. I think 7 minutes would give you a fair estimate.
    Rough "Elucidoc" Gropes - 216/12 Eternalist. President of Adrenaline Rush - Gear Inferno Dyna Killer
    Squishie "Metadate" Splat - 216/13 giMP. Adrenaline Rush - Gear Micro-MP w/ an attitude!
    Knuckle "Elucidate" Sammich - 213/9 Guru. Adrenaline Rush - Gear - Gimped MA
    Really "Elucifer" Evul - 50/0 Opifex Nano Tech (Evul twin of Taranoob)

Become more smarterer!

Quote Originally Posted by Elucidate
    Takes me 7 minutes to solo a Chaotic Heckler without using DoTs. Perhaps Bio would like to come along and stand next to me while I whack away at one to give a rough idea of the max DPM from weapon damage only. I think 7 minutes would give you a fair estimate.
    Chaotic Heckler dies too fast, not enough HP :P
    LVL 220 Vanguard Out to pasture
    LVL 220 Eternalist researching
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired
    LVL 220 Field Marshal Resetting/twinking

LVL 220 Savior (researching)

Firetree Server, Horde of course

Test is different. We do have the ability to switch from weapon to weapon, but there are not enough players high enough on Test. I think I'm the highest right now at 201 weilding a 220 Maul. Our second problem is, due to the low lvl and low numbers of players, getting enough of these. My maul is certainly ODing my gelid, but I dual-ing that with a mantis scissor, so hardly a comparison.

I don't believe anyone has a MBC, SoD, etc. I believe the professionals or the CoT could do this but resources are stretched a little thin at the moment. Still, if you got enough docs of the similar level together, they could do a side-by-side comparison.
    Last edited by Caduceus; Nov 12th, 2004 at 21:18:17.
    Caduceus 207 Doctor of the Bratpack
    Matahari 147 Agent
    Lyra 156 Crat
    Testlive

You could always hunt those large HP dyna bosses in belial and DAV. That way you can give some results on your damage without fearing of dying
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Former President of Valor Eternal and joined it's ranks again!
    {doc setup} {enforcer setup}
    {doc perks} {enforcer perks}
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Biochemyst
    Finally, once we do further research, we may be able to make a couple of lists: Best For Damage, Best Solo Weapon, Best RK, Most Flexible, etc. and put to rest all the questions about Doc damage.
    How about we add a 5th category: Best weapon that is reasonably easy to attain by somone who refuses to camp lowdrop mobs, who has very little money, who's not in an org and who has almost no friends to help. I.e. what weapons are rollable or < 10 million credits? Some of us aren't uber (hell, I've never even seen a VTE ).
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanthyna
    How about we add a 5th category: Best weapon that is reasonably easy to attain by somone who refuses to camp lowdrop mobs, who has very little money, who's not in an org and who has almost no friends to help. I.e. what weapons are rollable or < 10 million credits? Some of us aren't uber (hell, I've never even seen a VTE ).
    Gelid Blade of Inobak.

Half-decent puller and a 180+ Doc can solo it. Drops 1 every time. 2 kills (40 minutes) and you have your UBER weapons. And if you refuse to camp, I don't want you healing me at 201+.

Spec4 can take from 2 hours to a week to 'camp'.
    Rough "Elucidoc" Gropes - 216/12 Eternalist. President of Adrenaline Rush - Gear Inferno Dyna Killer
    Squishie "Metadate" Splat - 216/13 giMP. Adrenaline Rush - Gear Micro-MP w/ an attitude!
    Knuckle "Elucidate" Sammich - 213/9 Guru. Adrenaline Rush - Gear - Gimped MA
    Really "Elucifer" Evul - 50/0 Opifex Nano Tech (Evul twin of Taranoob)

Become more smarterer!

One result, I think, of completing this research will be precisely to answer that question.

In other words, suppose the numbers show that while an MBC is best with 80k worth of damage, dual Gelids aren't far off with 60k worth of damage, it's wholly reasonable to conclude that a doctor would "settle" for gelids.

I think too many people walk around thinking, "OMG, I'm such a gimp because I don't have an MBC!" or "If only I had XYZ, I'd do some real damage." But they don't know the facts, and don't have the numbers.

I mean... who would have thought that a FBR does so much damage in the hands of a Doc?

/bio

Quote Originally Posted by Elucidate
    But then I wouldn't know how you'd fare with dual energy hammers, and dual kyr'ozch pistols, and a Kyr SMG Type 12, and... on and on.

I think unless there's a deep flaw in the methodology, it's reasonable to assume that the numbers aren't going to be THAT far off from in-game results.

/bio

Zan all you'd have to do is ask one of us.

MAW, Gelids attainable in IS with little difficulty and are "free".
    LVL 220 Vanguard Out to pasture
    LVL 220 Eternalist researching
    LVL 220 Dictator Retired
    LVL 220 Field Marshal Resetting/twinking

LVL 220 Savior (researching)

Firetree Server, Horde of course

Sure, ask one of use, we'll probably hook you up with what you're trying to use if it's something like one of those weapons
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych
    Alts:Chiana "Infinitenull" Natsume, Rien "Daeminess" Shaina, Little "Miissy" Smith, Preytorian
    Your type is: SEA. 11% of respondents so far fall into that type. Socializer 73% Explorer 66% Achiever 46% Killer 13%
    System Message: Offline message from Means on Sat 17 Nov 2007 19:48 GMT: Means: This lag is really bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Tchaalina
    Outlasting is good, but if you want to solo effectively, especially in the higher playfields, you need to be able to dish out as well as sustain. What's the point in outlasting a mob, when your damage is so low that it takes you 30 min to kill something?
    Cos the pay off is that we can solo stuff other profs can't? If we could take em down in as little time as a DD, and solo where the DD can't, I can hear the nerf calls getting louder

The thing I dislike about SL most is how the ACs have made everyone that more damage obsessed, sure doc weapons were always a debate, but it was still how a team worked together and each profession bringing their particular talents to a team that counted more. Used to be a higher proportion of threads on other stuff, like doc tactics, avoiding agg etc, but i guess they're not needed so with the pool, we no longer suffer the same frustration in dying, so being kept alive perhaps isn't as important as it used to be to people ^^

Did you do any analysis on MA Bio..? On second thoughts don't, I reckon I don't wanna know
    The nature of monkey is irrepressible.
    Silq ~ Barabajagal ~ Ubik ~ Steampunk ~ Fleshwoman & others

I thank you for your offers of help, but if I allow myself to get a good weapon, I risk getting kicked out of the Gimpy Equipment Club. And since I'm the Treasurer and fourth in chain of succession should the President, Vice President, and Committee Chair all die, I cannot abandon my responsiblity that easily.

And for the record, I have no problem 'camping' a mob with a 20 minute respawn and a high droprate...it's the hideous SLs style camping with the super low drop rates that make me want to stay a gimp.

Edit: The MAW is starting to look pretty nice. When I finally get org'd, I'll have to go try for one.
    Last edited by Zanthyna; Nov 13th, 2004 at 13:41:45.
    Guide to Teaming With Docs! is the funniest post ever. | "Engie Got Bot" song spoof
    AO chat log of Titanic sinking is the second funniest post ever

No matter how many levels I gain, the Lag Monster is always red to me.

Currently playing The Secret World.

I use bow for the best balance PvM/PvP, is that really a viable option? And will i have enough IP to use both Bow (Bow, AS, Phys Init) and Gelids (1he, Fast Attack, Multi Melee, Melee Init) at 210+, or am i dreaming here? :P And i wouldnt need all that much in inits as i want to go full off for the most off the time

I know i had tons of IP to use at TL5/6 cap on my enforcer and i had 2 weapon lines on him, so could it be done without nerfing myself to the ground?
    210/15 Ghostman Doctor (Inactive)
    205/12 Ghostwolfy Adventurer (Active)
    150/05 Ghosteyes Fixer S10 twink in progress
    148/06 Ghostguard Soldier (Semi-Active)

"No matter how subtle a Wizard, a knife between the shoulderblades will seriously cramp his style"

Alpha Omega

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman
    I use bow for the best balance PvM/PvP, is that really a viable option? And will i have enough IP to use both Bow (Bow, AS, Phys Init) and Gelids (1he, Fast Attack, Multi Melee, Melee Init) at 210+, or am i dreaming here? :P And i wouldnt need all that much in inits as i want to go full off for the most off the time

I know i had tons of IP to use at TL5/6 cap on my enforcer and i had 2 weapon lines on him, so could it be done without nerfing myself to the ground?
    You want to be able to hotswap different weapon types on your doc? LOL! From what I hear (since I'm not 205+ quite yet I can't speak for higher docs), there isn't that much leeway on IP to start spending it like you have an unending supply. You will probably nerf yourself into the ground, imo, if you try that.
    Kacey "Regidoc" Stych

Hmm yeah, didnt think of the difference in IP cost Enforcer > Doctor. But the idea is to get the best possible balance between PvP/PvM weapons. Any ideas on this?

"No matter how subtle a Wizard, a knife between the shoulderblades will seriously cramp his style"

Alpha Omega

I would suggest maw for pvm and ithaca for pvp since it has aimed shot which somehow survived unnerfed from the specialnerf

doctors can not be accurate enough to use any close combat weapon in pvp which pretty much leaves us relying on range which makes us rely on aimed shot for already stated reasons. Thats weapon wise... which i doubt is a big percentage of any doctor´s pvp abilties
    Last edited by Rolfor; Nov 14th, 2004 at 13:26:43.
    Rolfor 220/26/70 Nanomage Doctor [Setup] No task too hard - no compromise - updated
    Rolfolol 220/28/70 Atrox Keeper [PvP Setup] [PvM DD Setup] - updated
    Ralfxore 165/22/42 Opifish Fixer [Setup]
    - updated
    Rolflol 216/15/34 Atrox Nano Technician
    Peon of SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    I dont discriminate, i hate everyone equally much.
    War.
    War never changes.

Well i used a Ithaca for a while... was crap from my experience, i use a superior sapphistic bow atm, that has good AS and recharge, a nimbus is good dmg but crap speed. I might go gelids anyway for PvM dmg. Ill see once i reach 170 or so.

Alpha Omega

If you were using an Ithica pre-170 and w/o pretty high AS (like 800+ w/o scope), Ithica WILL be crap. Ithica is hot when you have AS scoped and have a nice crit mod. I don't know if pre-TL6 can really say all that much about the might of an ithica

No offense

Edit: I am talking PvP here, PvM, Ithi is pretty bad, go Maw if you want shotty.
    Last edited by Docagami; Nov 15th, 2004 at 16:31:17.
    "With your feet in the air and your head on the ground Try this trick and spin it, yeah Your head will collapse But there's nothing in it And you'll ask yourself Where is my mind "

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast