Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Backstabbing explained

Backstabbing explained

This is probably not new to many of you but after experimenting with backstab i think i have pretty much figured out how the formula works.

Here's a summary of the Backstab data points for Adventurer, in case you missed it from the patch notes:

Adventurer
    Enabled: 340
    Damage Multipliers: 540
    Critical Increase: 625

These are unbuffed and unimplanted values.

Now over to how backstab damage is calculated.
    The following numbers assume you have over 625 backstab skill.

The minimum amount of damage that backstab can do is the same as the minimum damage of your backstab weapon.

Lets assume that you do 1k damage minimum on Adonis hecklers and that you critt for 2k.
    Your backstabs will be:

1k Regular damage
    2k Critt damage
    4k 2x Critt multiplier
    8k 4x Critt multiplier
    10k 5x Critt multiplier

Backstab is capped at 13k

One thing to note is that every +add damage item is very useful for making large backstabs. The +55 damage from the full ferocity of nature line for example will give you another 275 dmg to your max backstab.

/shelana

That's a very good compilation, but that still leaves my question I asked a few threads down. Does raising your sneak attack skill past 625 (other than to equip weapons) affect how often we do higher crits? Or is it just an IP sink?
    Rotender - 51% Share holder of Omni-Tek

Me

Thats a good question. I suspect that it doesn't affect damage at all but one can never be sure. At least a high sneak attack skill will help land backstabs on mobs so its not a total waste.

I'm going to dump some more ip:s in to sneak attack to get it over 1k and see if i notice any difference at all.

The higher your sneak attack skill, the higher dmg your backstabs. Jayde and I have done extensive testing on this. Whether or not an attack hits is based on attack rating.

(sadly, it was so long ago that I no longer have the data for it )
    Level 210 Vanguard Kaelien | Current Equipment
    .theAdventurer | AO Bookmarks

Executing Nano Program: Leet Friend.
    Nano program execution error. You fumbled.
    Leet: roxxor
    Attacked by Leet!

Works for me. I don't need to know the math, just as long as it's confirmed that we're not throwing our IP in the trash

Me

Backstab kind of makes me want to switch to melee.

Just pressing v (reload) and , (FA) isn't all that entertaining.

Would the backstab damage (with ..say.. an upgraded Kyr sword) be worth it at 190?

215/15 | Lagerlad Atrox Adventurer | eqp | Mostly indestructible
    214/13 | Xpie Atrox Meta-physicist | eqp | Supernova!
    Member of Ragnarok

Mmm, yeah I maxed out my Backstab, and it's working just lovely! Definitely worth it if anyone hasn't done it yet.

Sure it's still not as common as aimed shot, but when you do get 12k backstabs, it sure is nice! (haven't hit 13k yet, but I'm using a 257 shank for Backstab atm. It'll own when I get one of them elusive 240 upgrades for my axe)

Me

Quote Originally Posted by Rotender
    Mmm, yeah I maxed out my Backstab, and it's working just lovely! Definitely worth it if anyone hasn't done it yet.

Sure it's still not as common as aimed shot, but when you do get 12k backstabs, it sure is nice! (haven't hit 13k yet, but I'm using a 257 shank for Backstab atm. It'll own when I get one of them elusive 240 upgrades for my axe)

sorry what do you mean by maxed out backstab? its an action how do you max it out its not under skills?

Sorry noobeh at all this backstab been using it some tonight dident get higher then 5k was using it every 20 seconds or so dunno if that effects, dose adding to perk shadow thing add BS damage?
    -------------------------
    Toorgs - Enf
    Reroll2002 - Adv
    +++

I'm sure he means 'maxed out sneak attack'
    Level 210 Vanguard Kaelien | Current Equipment
    .theAdventurer | AO Bookmarks

Executing Nano Program: Leet Friend.
    Nano program execution error. You fumbled.
    Leet: roxxor
    Attacked by Leet!

yup. SAME THING

I never use sneak attack...just backstab pretty much, so I just call it backstab usually...

Me

I read something about this in the Shade thread, but it said the numbers were dependent on your BASE Sneak Attack (or backstab, if you prefer ) skill, without any modifiers. Meaning i have to subtract 105 pts for my feet implant and 20 points for my Tier, ending up not even able to backstab! lol

Yet i do.. Anyone knows if thats true or not? I would think not, since i backstab all the time

The thread you are referring to is very very old, from the beginning days of SL. Back then this was indeed the case, only base SA skill was used to unlock Backstab action and possibly multiplyers. I am absolutely certain this is no longer the case. You even proved it yourself, as you can backstab without having enough unbuffed skill. So I think we can safely say that for Backstab, your buffed amount of skill is relevant nowadays.

jus twanted clarification..is it 100% accurate that your backstab is based on your sneak attack skill?
    i didnt read the shade thread..just this one...if so, then that's great, cause at least we know we can make it better...just wanted verification before i just go ahead and max it later....(i'll ahve to raise it eventually anyways to get my new chiroptera in , hehe

yup, all sneak attack

Me

i'm level 81 now..been shadowstabbing...very nice, i love it...the weapons i am currently using do not have sneak attack available as an attack, but it doesnt matter, i'm still able to shadowstab, and my concealment sucks anyways....
    so....i raise my sneak attack up to 300 something...maybe 350..cause sneak attack rating is directly related to my shadowstab....and now it tells me that congratulations, u have a new attack, backstab!
    so now i'm confused....i thought shadowstab was same as backstab.....is there a difference?
    2 different attacks, or same thing?
    i already have shadowstab on my shortcut bar...do i now need to add 'backstab'?
    Obroo-adventurer
    Orlana-doctor
    RK2

Quote Originally Posted by obroo
    i'm level 81 now..been shadowstabbing...very nice, i love it...the weapons i am currently using do not have sneak attack available as an attack, but it doesnt matter, i'm still able to shadowstab, and my concealment sucks anyways....
    so....i raise my sneak attack up to 300 something...maybe 350..cause sneak attack rating is directly related to my shadowstab....and now it tells me that congratulations, u have a new attack, backstab!
    so now i'm confused....i thought shadowstab was same as backstab.....is there a difference?
    2 different attacks, or same thing?
    i already have shadowstab on my shortcut bar...do i now need to add 'backstab'?
    OMG!
    Pompidou, Vanguard - Setup
    Zitrone, Deity (?) - PvP PvM

AO PvP Guide for beginners (by Silentslash)
    Waiting for LostEden... if it ever comes out!

press ctrl+2 and scroll down and you'll find backstab.

on that note, your weapon must have sneak attack to do backstab.
    The Gimp:Dinnerfork
    Quote Originally Posted by Saetos
    I have this disturbing image of the US Army jumping one by one out of my cereal bowl

k thanks..i'll check that out
    Obroo-adventurer
    Orlana-doctor
    RK2

shadowstab is a perk attack...it has nothing to do with sneak attack or backstab.

Luckily that means you can do all three on seperate timer recharges

Me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast