Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Full On Frontal Assault To Get Back Our Range Advantage.

range

Originally posted by Miir

Fling/Burst/FA range cannot be increased with any piece of hardware.

Range increasing hardware is a pretty serious IP investment for ranged weapon users.

Range increasing nanos are a miniscule IP investment for a Nanotech. Every NT should be very close to the range cap (36m) before level 20.
    my fling works just fine at 40 meters....
    same with my toy gun i tried out, a silly FDA fly (fling burst fa as) all work at 40 meters (get as far as possible and root, then special)

nt's will eventually max out all nano skills anyway. but the problem becomes ncu space... Remove the range enhancer and put in an ncu, or keep the range enhancer without buffing. basically it's worked out around the same. There is little to no adbvantage in using one over the other (one less buff to cast), which basically makes this line useless. considering that the highest ones (that dont even compare to the lowest ql range deck in terms of range modifiers) have a NF cost penalty....

not really sure what your trying to say, but thanks for that info though, cuz getting as much actual hard data about how mechanics work in practicum is what its all about, thx.

that being said...it kinda proves my point, nay?

We both can be at the same range max, and hit each other, though the way it "should be" is that I should be able to take another step back and hit you with only my NF's and keep you rooted, and you have nothing to do but heal until I run out of nano.

doh! ok let me try again.
    in -> MY <- own opinion i think it should be modify by %, not add , and i think it was intended by fc at first but bugged. i know the f*#$%& description says "add" for the crunchcom line .

-> Wear Modify RangeIncreaserNF by 110 <-

ANY word about meters ? it defines a modification to "RangeIncreaserNF Value", nothing else.

and again "candyland" who wants candyland ? the nt that wants to nuke without getting hit (savespot) ? or the others that want at least a chance to fight back a bit ? before patch you had no chance to even hit tab to get the nt as target while he was nuking you from far out. advantage , yes but a bit of an uber advantage.

and for mobs and 60k xp try to go to milky way , a lvl45-50 nt can find some plants there that cant move, no need to root, just nuke from distance.

Ok, the deck range increasers don't say jack about how it's modifing, just that it does.

However, the nanoformula's do specify that it's a percent. And, uh..they do modify by a percent.

+50% is the same as saying 150%. The way you want it is...screwy.

Yay! I can finnally use the 67% nanorange buff! I can now eat up more NCU to decrease my range! Yay!

Maybe you could specify what you mean a bit more?

Originally posted by Chtuluh
    25m * 1.50 = 37.5m (with ql200 increaser only)
    so what you're saying here is that you need ~a q100 deck range increaser to break even? a q100 deck range increaser adds 110% to range.

Am I just confused, or do you want to make the lower quality stuff decrease your range? Give a penalty for use, with no upside? (Heck, even tank armor still gives AC) There's a good idea.

Pardon me while I put on a q70 deck range increaser and use the 67% nanorange buff so I can signifigantly reduce the range of my nanoformulas.
    The pen is mightier than the sword, you say? Very well, get out your pens, essay writers, and prepare to have your logic tested by steel!

http://ao.hackersquest.com/show.php3?id=95516&item=1

ql50 : Modify RangeIncreaserNF by 110

dont think there are any lower ones

spydr by modify i meant :

25m base , modifyer 150% (ql200 deck range increaser)

modify: 25m * 150% = 25m * 150/100 = 37.5m

what most think it does is (or what it did, and what i think was a bug/feature by fc, before the rangecap was implemented)

add: 25m + 25m * 150% = 25m + 37.5m = 62.5m

Enhance Nano Cohesion :
    Default Set RangeIncreaserNF to 42 On Target

ok this is something different but it says "SET" dont know if its meters or add % ,and then its capped , so id really like to have a word from a designer/developer on these values before and after cap-patch. i admit that the patch was kind of quick&dirty-solution, but they had to change something. i know the ao-database still has some bugs (nano formular recompiler ? or this thing that should decrease nanocost, but it doubles nanocost , or the knights armor which has no other reqs than "clan" ) that cause imbalance to the game.

btw, almost died again due to not having the range to stay out of harms way in a fight, and this time it wasnt solo, it was in a group.

L81 "Whomper" Atrox Enforcer (not in group as he is too high to allow xp for me and the other player in our group (Advent)) but he was our Tank.

L71 "Nnanji" MA Solitus main damage dealer for our group as Whomper was trying NOT to get xp, just using Mongo to reattain Tank status during fight. Also our team healer

L62 "warxxx??" Atrox Enforcer left after a little while, had to log.

L57 "Morphoseth" Solitus Adventurer. Team healer also, unfortunatley, Adventurers also dont have great output, and im sure it must suck to be them in a group.

L56 "me hi /wave" Nanomage NanoTechnician. Damage dealer? 296 poison dmg w/ Viral Assualt, only consistent nano that is worth casting vs. Hardened NPC's.

Case in point.

I assumed that after calling out w/ his macro script that Nnanji was starting in on "Hardened Raider: Targeted" and I hit my hot key for Viral Assault standing at my max range.

I barely survived as the aggro was on me cuz Nnanji didnt start his attack until my nano landed.

yes, tactical error on my part, but if I dont start simultaneous to their attacks then I hardly ever feel like im contributing....usually only get like 4 -5 casts in.

I stepped back out of range, then attempted to step back in, but kept getting hit at my max range. Thankfully , Nnanji and Morph were attentive and cast heals more than normal to keep me alive.

Here is what I "wear" in buffage w/ 107 NCU at L56

Quickness
    Treatment Exp.
    MC exp.
    First Aid exp.
    Matt Met Exp.
    Bio Met. exp.
    Enfraam's Fortification the 220 skill one, 61 to AC's and 92 to HP
    Int boost
    Psy
    Sense
    Stam
    Strength
    Agility

Humidity Ext
    Coherent Nano Pathway <--- useless
    Runtime Recompiler
    Nano Restoration

I think that is all as I was using a Hacked Soldier AC Graft (like 40 extra AC's)

I have an NCU Coolant Sink to help w/ Interrupts, but no Deck Increaser (never even seen these in game, but apparently THIS item is at the root cause of the "range exploiting" along w/ NF Range extender lines)

Just wanted to impart yet another real life example of WHY THIS SUCKS TO NOT have the range I should have!

I am supposed to be a "support" class right?....the only support I give is MIN damage, oh...yeah...forgot to mention, Im the "Humidity buff" guy... /rolls eyes.

I should be able to sit at my Max Range, and nuke from SUPPORT RANGE to ASSIST the tanks in DEALING DAMAGE, and in the past, I could tell if I was going to be aggro'd as the mob would also run toward me to get him/herself into range, now? they just turn and shoot. Since I play w/ the volume off or down low (I play late night and dont want to wake my roommate in the next room, i dont hear the "dunh dunh dunh" terror music you get when you get aggro'd) I used to be able to know when to disengage and allow my tank to re-aggro....now I just have to sit there and take it.

So, what did I do? I took off my Vektor, and after leveling and putting IP's into Brawl, MA and Dimach (I just got a pillow finally, so I am upping those) and tried that out....hahahahahha, that was a laugh. Brawl for 6, melee for 5, dimach for 80, BWAhahahahahah) Made it easier to cast tho, the shotgun animation interrupts my casting when in groups due to increased framerate lag, and I get better ability to chain cast w/ hands free.

*yet another aside...min damage is not min damage...i hit for LESS than min damage MANY many times last night when fighting Hardened's....so...uhh, whatever happened to Min Dmg is Min Dmg and never has any modifier that will affect it (also reported a multitude of times on this board)

Viral Assault 25m
    Coherent 50%

but since the max on pistols (what the raider was using) is best 28m ive seen, and ok, maybe 30m for arguments sake, im at 32.5m and as we know NPC's dont have range extenders (that we know of)

although I just though of something, i should not run the RunTime Recompiler as it doesnt add range, and instead i should use the lesser CrunchCom until I get the 233 higher order one....hmmmmmmm Might get me closer to the 40m's that way.
    Last edited by Noe; Dec 12th, 2001 at 04:28:37.

errr...still want straight answers on what funcom "wants" the NT to be?....Tank? if not, what then since we cant use Range...which as you can see in my sig (thx Lozer) is what we need to be effective.

The reason the range was capped was:

Some NTs nuked mobs outside of the 80 metre viewrange. This made the mobs run around like stupid chickens while they got to kill them without risk

In PvP, the same prob. Nuke without the "victim" knowing who was taking him / her out.

The solution would be to cap it at 80 metres. No more, no less...

But again, FC didnt think that far, no?
    ..:Dark "Xephiroth" Scorus:..
    ..:
    124 NanoMage - Nanotechnican:..

..:Zerohelth:..
    ..:
    57 Atrox - Enforcer:..

..:Vlados:..
    ..:
    32 Opifex - Shade:..

..:
    Ignorance is bliss:..

The problem with almost every balance addressing patch FC implements, is that they always implement the easiest one for their coders. Presumably because the coders are too inept to make a proper patch, or because they don't feel they have the time to do it properly. Example: dupe exploit with vehicles. Solution: Fix the bug so that it's no longer possible to use playfield shifting to dupe it. FC solution: make vehicles nodrop. Result: People start selling nodrop exploits on ebay or for ingame creds so that people can still be able to trade items they would've been able to all along if FC had done the patch proper.

WHY they implemented it at 40m I would really really really like to know. I can't think of any technical reason to do it. The headless chicken phenomenon is just as common within 40m as at longer ranges, so that's no excuse. A shout of "someone root the fu(ker already!" is a pretty frequent occurance in mort at least. Where the borgs run around like idiots and the 50 people there can do nothing but run after it hoping it'll stand still or get close enough to get a shot off.
    Last edited by Mascot; Dec 17th, 2001 at 15:10:43.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12