Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you're NOT an NT, read this...

ooh you're my hero now Jaesic )

Nothing I hate more than people who roll NTs for greed and then end up telling lowlevel teams to bugger off because they are in the way of their 50 heckler kiting train.

I've dont some teams with my doc..and had a lowlvl (150-ish) nt in my team..and he ONLY used aoe nuke..cause he didnt have any other good ones...makes me wanna bend him over me knee and slap him with my cyberdeck.

LC
    Deja moo: The feeling that you've heard this Bull before!

Lordchaoz, 220 Clan Nanomage Nano-Technician
    Icegimmer, 214 Clan Solitus Doctor
    Darkfactor, 145 Clan Nanomage Doctor
    Fixlord, 133 Clan Fixer

Well, as a fixer main it can be difficult to have sympathy for you guys, but it was a nice post and I agree with the sentiment. Basically these greedy people just migrated from my profession over to yours.
    Gee...another expansion that I'm not interested in...maybe it's a hint? O.o

Eeky: Cz how much beer would I have to provide to you, to have you water balloon the people responsible for last patch?

Cz: I would never consider such a horrible proposal! (I'll have my people contact your people.)

You know... I think that 50% of the problem is the NT playerbase. (Don't freak out... read on.)

I started AO long long ago and I have tried every class of character. (I still wish my new chars started in a lab rather than a space station. ) Up until recently I had never played the NT class seriously. I tried it to level five or so and stopped... at the time, it just wasn't my style. After I got tired of playing my main char (an MP) I decided to start up and NT and go with it... hoping to replace my main character. I have LOVED my NT and I just use my MP for random things now like blitzing and the like.

During my time leveling up with my NT, I have noticed a few types of people. This was not apparent until I actually started playing the NT class.. as I was a #5 and to be totally honest didn't see many NTs where I hung out. Here's my list:
    1. Elitist NTs
    2. Stupid-as-a-box-of-rocks NTs
    3. Elitist Players (Non-NT)
    4. Stupid-as-a-box-of-rocks Players (Non-NT)
    5. Everyone else (NT or not)

The reason I separate them will be apparent in a moment...

Think of each kind of person as a personality type. Some types clash... others do not.

1. These people think that the NT class is far above others and they go as far as to make it apparent to others. They kite and think they own a specific area of land or playfield. (Take "NT Cove" for example. This isn't OURS people... it's for everyone, no matter what you think.) They tend to be rather rude about it as well by telling people to f*** off (yes, I have seen it happen). Most #1's don't tend to team or team well with others. I've even seen a few #1's train a huge line of hecklers into a team just because that team was "stealing their kills" which they hadn't even started to AoE nuke yet.

2. A lot of "ingot farmers" fall into this category. They kite because they want money and don't care if people see them as a great NT, stupid, jerkish, whatever. They are only in it for the funding of their other characters. These are the ones that tend to get people killed more often than not just by being dumb. They run in a straight line when kiting, right along the walls of the brink outside Port 7 in Elysium. When I played my MP, I always tended to run into one of these people...not sure why. Thank God for my heal ball.

3. These are the NT haters mostly. They refuse to team with you, they hunt you down while you are kiting, etc. You all know the player type. They are generally the ones that you end up saving from some random heckler pops and then you don't even get a thank you after you do it. *shrug* Honestly, I think a lot of #3s don't actually KNOW what it requires to be an NT, and thus they have a pre-conceived view of how NTs are. It's like a stereotype and they don't go find out for themselves just how NTs work, so they just hate them automatically.

4. "Oh look, a train of hecklers, let's run at them!" *smash* "/tell nt YOU JERK YOU GOT ME KILLED!!11!1oneone!" Yup... we all know em. They are out there, waiting in the shadows. They are the ones that are sitting just outside the heckler view until you start training and then feel the need to run smack dab into the middle of your train... most of the time to try and loot the stuff you have just killed. There isn't anything we can do about these people... we just have to help them understand HOW another class works and how to keep themselves from getting killed.

5. Most people fall into this group. They are here to play for fun. Why? Because it's a game! Everyone in this group tend to treat each class the same way... judging the player, not the class. Funny how "racism" (in it's own way) can move into a video game... but hey... it does. It's nice to have this group around, as they tend to mellow out the crazies who want NTs to fall off the face of Rubi-Ka.

That's just how I see things in-game. I figure out what type of person the person is and then act according to that... most of the time just taking things with a grain of salt. People are going to hate the NT class just as people tended to hate random classes in other MMORPGs. It's going to happen and we all know that as playing an NT we run the risk of being hated. My advice to you is: Prove them wrong. When you are out there, team up with people and HELP them... don't just kite-level them... be a total team player. I like to just chainshield/mez/blind when I am in a team and do backup damage when needed. I have had people comment on how refreshing it is to have an NT in their team that doesn't get them killed... and that is what we ALL should be getting.

So when I said it was 50% the NT's fault, what I mean is: You need to play your class knowing the challenges that are presented when you play that class and OVERCOME them. We need to show other players that they need to judge us for how we play and not judge us for our class.
    Last edited by Quex_RK1; Oct 24th, 2004 at 19:06:46.

Quote Originally Posted by Quex_RK1
    When you are out there, team up with people and HELP them... don't just kite-level them...
    Problem is. Most peeps see NT's exactly as this. Just a XP/SK/AXP farming totem, just like the crat was the %XP/Stacking totem a while back. There is no other reason to team us.
    Delerium(220/30/70), Locklear(220/30/70), Piggybank(60/6/14).

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Richard Dawkins: We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    Deng: Every time I see Del I just start to quiver.

Quote Originally Posted by _Delerium
    There is no other reason to team us.
    Most of us have a morbid sense of humor regarding the state of our profession and can be quite funny in a sad way team spam = good. Makes time pass by faster
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Is it just me or was the "Normal, down to earth, I just happened to likeplaying an NT" category left out?

According to that, all NT's are either pricks... or, well... pricks...
    We're like any other proff, we notice our flaws better than them, because we play us. Personally I like playing NT, I like kiting, not for cash, who cares, you can always get cash... It's the thrill. One false move, and you're dead.... It's great to pull it off. It's like the engi who just twinked a super bot and went to solo a mission who's front door alone would usually pwn him. We're no different. Some people found a way to make money, people are as they always will be, and this was used, abused and anything in between. Others saw this, some were jelous, some were annoyed. But all in all, they're no different.

Your list is very black and white, and while I agree with a bit of it, I do believe Del' has a point... We're not seen as a lot more than a battery, constantly charging the exp in your bar while you sit back and recharge.

Our player base might not be perfect, but none is. We're still just people, and as such, I find your list lacking.

- Esh'
    Now is the discount of our winter tents.

what's a NT outside Ely ?

An Experimental Error

Don't worry only few left till alive
    Blancheneige /
    Alpha Omega as sweet home /
    NanoGimp NT /

Oddysee: I should have been more clear... there are NTs in #5.

well said jaesic
    Izola "Kymaene" Thompon
    Board Member, Black Orchid

Sorry Quex... I don't agree. There are a lot more accurate player 'type' breakdowns out there than what you're trying to sell us... and like some others, I don't buy yours. In my opinion, the fact that you (and plenty of other folks) want to 'type' us at all is a large part of the problem. Each player is unique. We may have similarities to other players who also play the same profession... but we aren't the same. By assuming there are just a few types of people playing NT, you can easily justify things like using PvP flags to gank the kiters. Or to decide not to team any NT because they're all bad.. either kiter's or worthless as a teammate.

However...

Thats not what this thread was about... it's about having a little respect for a community and thinking before you act. There are many intelligent and creative people floating around these boards but most of the time, the good stuff that gets posted is so buried in crap that the average person never sees it.

And thanks for the positive comments folks.

Jaesic, I think you took my post the wrong way.

My main (converted) is an NT. I love the NT profession. I was just saying what I see in-game. In no way was I trying to "type" you.

Sheesh. I was trying to defend the NT profession and try and show an alternate view of the situation. Don't be an ******* just because you don't view something the same way someone else. That kind of elitist attitude is exactly why people don't like the NT profession.
    Last edited by Quex_RK1; Oct 26th, 2004 at 05:33:26.

Don't be an ******* just because you don't view something the same way someone else. That kind of elitist attitude is exactly why people don't like the NT profession.
    Disagreeing with you is not elitist. Elitist would be jaesic telling you that you're just a newbie and didn't know anything about the game so you should axcept whatever he says cause he knows it better. He has a different opinion, presented with facts to why he doesn't agree. And you start a personal flame against him.
    Last edited by _Delerium; Oct 26th, 2004 at 07:03:05.
    Delerium(220/30/70), Locklear(220/30/70), Piggybank(60/6/14).

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Richard Dawkins: We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    Deng: Every time I see Del I just start to quiver.

That kind of elitist attitude is exactly why people don't like the NT profession.
    Hardly related to professions - or doctors would be called elitists and not eternalists at TL7.
    Former NT Professional and post count farmer.

Goodbye everyone, it has been a blast.

I still say that a moderator or proff' should stick this thread down... And delete all replies as they really are unnecessery regarding the supbject.

Also, root it at the bottom, closests to the new threads... Bigger chance they will see it...

If that doesn't work, make the title
    "Sex!: Now that I have your attention, please read the following..."

That would be sure to have some readers ^^

- Shishido

Quote Originally Posted by Oddysee
    If that doesn't work, make the title
    "Sex!: Now that I have your attention, please read the following..."

That would be sure to have some readers ^^
    lol!! sad but true ...
    Izola "Kymaene" Thompon
    Board Member, Black Orchid

Well I for one think NTs should not be beat on for the way they were designed. I've got no problem with you guys

G
    ---------------------
    Retired: 211 Soldier
    Active: 17 Froob Soldier for when boredom sets in

Quote Originally Posted by Oddysee
    This should be rooted... And all replies deletd.
    This is one of the best "read before writing" examples I've seen to date, and it's very well put. Just a shame that someone had to taker personal offense and post their sarcasm as the very first reply, slightly ruining the underlining seriousnes of it, while also ignoring what the post was about.

This is something everyone who visits the forums should read before doing anything, so please... Root it, and delete all replies as they are unecessery!

- Eshia

DITTO! clear it and sticky please
    Bids made from me or recived to me are valid for 7 days

Through me the way into the suffering city,
    Through me the way to the eternal pain,
    Through me the way that runs among the lost.
    Justice urged on my high artificer;
    My maker was divine authority,
    The highest wisdom, and the primal love.
    Before me nothing but eternal things were made,
    And I endure eternally.
    Abandon every hope, ye who enter here.

Achiever 86%, Killer 60%, Explorer 40%, Socializer 13%

up we go ^^
    ____ Equipment
    Kopo: There's nothing wrong with the (NT) profession itself, it's just that the other 99.9% of us playing it are deluded & incompetent.
    Unzipped: I'm right, Schmorgi is right... everyone else is wrong and /org lazy.... yep... that pretty much sums up my thoughts.
    Mangle: .... even still the leveling curve seems steep. Why must there be an exponential leveling curve? Who the hell invented that crap with MMOs to begin with?
    deniska: malewerecat h8 for making me agree with Masta
    sobeguy:Anyhow, Marius was evil regardless. Gaute was evil too. They are like, the Bat Man and Robin of evil. They probably run around in tights and masks, making vaguely homoerotic comments, and generally meddling anywhere people are trying to have fun!
    Righteous:Sil is in the kitchen making some sandwiches, he says you're lying and doesn't know who you are.
    Sephiroth:you managed to bother two people with one sentence. Nice
    I Remember The Missing: Nepenthia, Naraya, Satenia.

I second the motion of BUMPage.

The motion is carried.

It's seems they still don't understand...

Bump for Rooting, and clearing of replies...

- Eshia

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast