Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Skinning the GUI - A Reference

For streamlining the Skin files can we take out anything that we havent modified?

I take it AO refers to the defaults if it cant find something in the custom files?

Answered my own question, seems to work OK and as a result reduced DL size to 1/25th of the previous Version

Is there any offical information when we might get a XML layout which lets us fully control the GUI?

Such as letting us define our own areas, fade groups, behaviours ?

It would be nice to get some basic documentation on the way the GUI works, such as what code invokes certain actions.

Just last night I wanted to close one menu form another, yet was completely stumped concerning lack of reference elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Internalfire
    For streamlining the Skin files can we take out anything that we havent modified?

I take it AO refers to the defaults if it cant find something in the custom files?
    Was answered further back, but just to make sure it's clear to anyone reading this thread...

By default, AO looks in whatever skin file is specified for a graphic, and if it doesn't find it, falls back on the default basic (non-EP1) GUIGFX file.

Now, the normal set up is for the EP1 file to be the specified file, so *any* graphic that is in there but *not* in the basic (non-EP1) file must be included in your skin or you run the risk of it not being available at all.

Of course, not all elements even in the EP1 file are now used by AO (so if your sure what isn't, you can miss it out of your skin file)...

Maybe Kurt will do a clean-up operation at some point and return AO back to a single GUIGFX file with just those graphics AO now uses in it... then skins would really only need to include what they had changed. The current setup is a bit messy for skinning...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

AO Character Skill Emulator and Character Parser and AO Implant Layout Helper

Darkbane.

I deleted any PNG I didnt modify and everything seems to be ok.

Granted what I modified (A Fair amount) could be one of those files which is needed but so far its good.

A clean up would be most welcome.

If your changing much of it anyway, you'll likely not notice (Though, for example, there was one of the cancel buttons I missed that is used in the grid to tower/city dialog and seemingly no-where else now...)

Which reminds me, must update my skin ZIP file on the server...
    "Do not try and catch the hamster... that's impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth... There is no hamster, only a deadbeat rollerat..."

[Social] Means: I don't think we removed any bosses because of bad pathing...there wouldnt be any left if we did :P

Running out of steam in terms of ideas now.

Pretty much going to hti a brick wall soon in terms of additions :/

Anyone found any new interesting things to do with the XML code we have ?

I am not sure where to post this but here goes>

I was using the DBskin and enjoyed it a lot. However, I had two switch from it when I got a perk. I couldn't figure out how to open the Perks window so I could choose a new perk.

It has a way to open Perk Actions, but no Perks window. This may just be me being stuipid, but if someone could contact the author or the skin they might want to know.

Shift+P

I didn't bother too much with things that have keyboard shortcuts such as Map (P), Inv (I) - though some configs do manipulate it, skills (U)... I should be uploading a new version shortly, so I'll add these to the windows menu to avoid any future confusion

Come on Darkbane,

Get with the program!

*Takes note to add perk Config Window to menu*

OK, updated DBSkin... just a few graphics tweaks and some bits added to the actions sub-menus... and a (hopefully) better read-me

Link in 2nd post now points to the new build.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt
    Iminay, there is no way to modify the icon-size in the shortcut bar from the GUI files. The new GUI split most bitmaps into 16x16 squares (for optimization reasons) and some gfx cards mess up when scaling the splitted 48x48 icons to 32x32 (you got transparent lines in the splits). A seemingly good workaround was to scale it to 30x30 rather than 32x32. This left each of the 9 sub-bitmaps 10x10 rather than 10.67x10.x67 pixels in size and seemed to work on all gfx cards. Might have to look more into this again at some point though.
    As Iminay noted, this change does end up looking kinda strange on certain icons, especially ones with distinct vertical lines toward the middle of the icon. (Perk "heal" type action icons are a prime example, with the "cross" graphic...such as 239147)

-Jayde

Thanks Kurt, that cleans things up a little
    TL7 Fixer: Driddle
    Creator of: Symbskin-0.D
    Nocturnal Fear - Officer

Just updated my skin to version 2.2

New features include
    -Added a pet window button to the windows menu.
    -Updated gfx.
    -Added the ability to toggle the gui buttons on/off in the option screen, (F10 - GUI - Control Center)
    -Added support for a customisation program, will be released soon.

Please remember to read the included Installation.txt

Please tell me / email me (jimfixit@gmail.com) / reply here with any bug reports or general feedback.

Hope you like it.

Webpage
    http://jimfixit.uber-1337.com/

Direct download
    http://jimfixit.uber-1337.com/jimskin2.2.zip
    Jimskin - New Gui Skin - http://www.jimfixit.uber-1337.com/

OK, I'm going into n00b mode, but there's one thing I don't get about the skinning.

I want to move the Credits bar over to sit on top of the agg/def bar.

Other than that, I'm fine, using chivskinAI, but that damn credits/NCU bar sitting there just gets in the way of where my chat window should be.

Where is this handled? XML? Can't seem to find it O_o
    Aleksei "Zagadka" Garcia - Savior, Council Clerk
    Cindi "Razishlyat" Bolieu - Advisor Eternalist

Or just DL my skin which does that ;]

Or just DL my skin which does that ;]
    OK, I did, and while it is a nice and lovely skin with several spiffy features, for some reason it made my info and skills windows look like AO 12.0. While the retro thing is in, it is throwing off my feng-shui something mean, and that just throws everything off balance. My heals have been veering to the left all day, and I almost tripped over Mordeth's corpse-ball when it rolled past me.

Is this a known issue, or what?

No it isnt.

Your actually the first to mention this. Got any pictures?

ControlCenter.xml is the file that controls the layout of such things...

Probably the bit that starts <View name="LeftBarDock" - at a guess

You need to edit the numbers in layout_borders="Rect(5,0,0,5)" - see InternalFire's description back on page 1 for what the numbers mean...

No it isnt.

Your actually the first to mention this. Got any pictures?
    http://www.zagadka.net/internal.jpg

DOn't laugh at my gimp HP or anything :-p

Anyway, here's what happened:

I had default everything. Installed Chiv's skin, opened it as the skin in the settings bit, everything worked fine. You told me to try your skin, so I did. UIninstalled Chiv's, installed yours, went through the settings and selected to use your files, everything worked fine, except the skills and info windows, which appear as shown. I'm pretty sure that the graphics for them are taken from GUIGFX.UVGA or whatever, eh?

Dunno, I'm just confused now. :-)

Oh, and one suggestion I have for your skin: A feature I really liked in Chiv's skin is that the HP/nano bar bubble at the top and bottom were removed so it more accurately reports health.
    Last edited by Razishlyat; Sep 22nd, 2004 at 03:29:16.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast