Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: AO Linux HOWTO

Nah, I have the 3d libs all correct. Pretty much it is a problem with the ati drivers. It is noted all over the cedega forums. All native games run like a bat out of hell. Quake 3, quake 4, UT2k4. The 2 d rendering in cedega works like a champ it is in how ATI handles Opengl in their drivers. THere is a thread on a forum that ATI is rewriting the drivers due to so they work better with cedega.

I verified which open gl libs I am using using...
    ldd /usr/bin/glxgears
    linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
    libGL.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb7e7c000)
    libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0xb7e6d000)
    libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0xb7da3000)
    libpthread.so.0 => /lib/libpthread.so.0 (0xb7d40000)
    libm.so.6 => /lib/libm.so.6 (0xb7d1d000)
    libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb7c06000)
    libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb7c02000)
    /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7f1b000)

per doc and many forum posts this is correct. :-)
    The Layout

"Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."
    -- Albert Einstein

A good one out now is Ubuntu. It's based on Debian and they are making some good progress. The support community is pretty good as well. http://www.ubuntu.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hakaru
    Sweet! Definately have to try this out!

On a side note, I'm looking to put linux on my main machine but I'm unsure which version would be most user friendly.

Anyone have any opinions as to the best one?

Oh and one other thing, I do a lot of work in photoshop, does anyone know of a comparable quality program for linux?

Thanks in advance for any info

P.S. Not trying to Hijack the thread so feel free to private message me instead of posting here if you want.

*edited because I can't spell worth a damn*
    Dayylin
    Eniam
    **Athen Paladins**

Quote Originally Posted by Telnarus
    libGL.so.1 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.so.1 (0xb7e7c000)
    Are you sure about that one? It sounds awfully like the open-source libGL.so that comes with the X server, ie Mesa (mostly) software 3D. If the ATI drivers worked more like Nvidias they should remove or perhaps replace that file.
    Perhaps ATI's libGL.so are installed in /usr/lib or something like that?
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

an easier way is just to type fglrxinfo into a terminal.. it should display which drivers are being used.. if it says mesa 3d then you are using software drivers.. i am going to load up cedega tonight, i had ubuntu running around 20,000 fps in glxgears so maybe ao will do ok.. although getting the new ati drivers working was a bit tricky.. you actually have to rip out the default fglrx drivers and recompile the ati ones in its place.. or at least thats my understanding of what i did.

So i finally got around to testing AO under Cedega on my Gentoo box again. Either Cedega has improved, or the ATI drivers have improved since last time i tried

Windowed mode is out, it simply gives horrible preformance. However i did run 1600x1200x16 at medium settings and obtained 20-40 frames per second.

The rig itself is an AMD XP 2400+ with an ATI x700. AO is finally playable on linux for me *happy*
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Must be the ATI drivers, things have gotten alot worse for me lately.
    Might be due to the Geforce 6600 GT aren't using AGPgart like it's supposed to, giving me no end of trouble.

However, I'll get to test again, but that'll have to wait till my GF moves out, she freaks out totally when there's no big friendly START button she can click

WTS GF PLX
    Oriana Gwenneth Pendragon - 213/14 Keeper, Advisor of Unity Of The Rose (eqp)

Benreddik Oilshake Fyfasan - 208/10 Trader, Veteran of Unity Of The Rose (eqp)

The later cedega releases by default uses their internal scheduler, which automatically turns on Accerelated Interprocess Communications(Through Shared memory) and turns off Decrease Wineserver Priority. Cedegas scheduler are off course supposed to handle these settings automatically but since AO is such a strange beast, eh I mean application, performance are lowered a little bit.

Accerelated Interprocess Communications probably helps with multi-threaded applications but it does eat up a bit of shared memory which is better used by AO. I get a few more fps when I turn it off.

Decrease Wineserver Priority: It might seem weird to lower the priority, but it's for the wineserver process so that leaves more CPU cycles for AO and X. I get windows 98-like mouse-lag when I turn this off.

Getting into TestLive from linux:

The latest AODuplicator aren't working with either Wine or Cedega, at least not for me. So to get into TestLive from Linux you'll have to manually duplicate the TestLive installation or do it from Windows.

Fortunately AOPatcher works so you only need to copy over the AO files to a new directory, change the login and patcher URLs and AOPatcher will fix everything else.
    TestLive Install Dir/cd_image/data/patcher/AnarchyPatcher.url should contain:
    Code:
    http://dimensions-qwest.anarchy-online.com/live-dimensions/patch/patch.html
    Grab a new version of TestLive Install Dir/cd_image/data/launcher/DimensionServer.url and AO should update the other launcher files as soon as you start AO.
    Last edited by Kaghelion; Aug 10th, 2006 at 14:27:59.

Looks great. Can't wait till I get this working.
    Still got a problem though.
    I can't select any video card in AO launcher settings (none available) and aocedega says :

[...]
    fixme:ddraw: DirectDrawEnumerateExA no non-display devices supported.
    fixme:ddraw: DirectDrawEnumerateExA no detached secondary devices supported.
    [...]

Did I forget something ?
    Someone here had this problem 2 years ago but he didn't post his fix.
    Got xorg, ubuntu, ATI x700 mobility with ati.com drivers and 4k+ in glxgears.

Any hint please ?

Crash Looping

Has anyone else here been experiencing crash looping since the 16.2 update? I am running Ubuntu with Cedega 5.1 and since that new patch came down I randomly crash and can't log in again. I was able to get ARK to help me for some time, but it seems I have used up my "ARK help quota" because they won't come help me anymore (A great way to treat a paying customer) and Tech Support is as useful as a pile of horse cr*p. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

P.S.
    I did send an email to feedback@anarchy-online.com about making AO 100% Linux compatible. I would ask everyone here to email them too, even everyday if you can. The more email we put about it in their inboxes, the more support we have, the higher chance a Linux version of AO would be made.

EDIT: Seems like there is going to be a small patch next week, hopefully this will fix the crash loop problem, as it seems other players I have talked to have been having this problem.

Quote Originally Posted by vendettared
    I was able to get ARK to help me for some time, but it seems I have used up my "ARK help quota" because they won't come help me anymore (A great way to treat a paying customer)
    ARK "How does this happen to you every 5 minutes?"
    YOU "When I run anarchy on a non supported plattform, every time"
    ARK "..."

Repeat many times until no ARK reply.

YOU "DAMN you customer support, I get a bug whenever I log in on an unsupported platform, help me loosers!"

Disclaimer
    I use linux to play ao, and use both linux at work and as desktop os.
    I dont have any connections to ARK's
    But I think you dont sound very thougthful in that post

any news on the anarchyspy project? wtb

Quote Originally Posted by vendettared
    Has anyone else here been experiencing crash looping since the 16.2 update? I am running Ubuntu with Cedega 5.1 and since that new patch came down I randomly crash and can't log in again. I was able to get ARK to help me for some time, but it seems I have used up my "ARK help quota" because they won't come help me anymore (A great way to treat a paying customer) and Tech Support is as useful as a pile of horse cr*p. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?
    I recently got this problem. I checked my config and realised I had messed it up.
    Things I had to change:
    Clipspace Fix=On
    Pixel Shaders=1.3

I also have the various VBO options turned on although I doubt I'd need 'em.

Btw. Wine 0.9.11 are now able to run AO.
    The minimap are too small, some areas are too dark and you'll loose text & textures when it rains. (Turn off Environment Effects?) Maybe something to try if you've got major problems with Cedega? At least you'd be able to verify it's something with your Cedega setup.
    No, Clicksaver doesn't work in Wine either although it did print out an error message "Unable to process 48 bytes from server".

Edit: I also found that I'd frequently crash out whenever the game wanted to play a video on the billboards. When you're playing on the free accounts you can't disable videos but I found that if I replaced any .bik in the mediacache directory with empty files they wouldn't be played and crash the game for me.
    Last edited by Kaghelion; Apr 6th, 2006 at 11:20:11.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaghelion
    I recently got this problem. I checked my config and realised I had messed it up.
    Things I had to change:
    Clipspace Fix=On
    Pixel Shaders=1.3

I also have the various VBO options turned on although I doubt I'd need 'em.

Btw. Wine 0.9.11 are now able to run AO.
    The minimap are too small, some areas are too dark and you'll loose text & textures when it rains. (Turn off Environment Effects?) Maybe something to try if you've got major problems with Cedega? At least you'd be able to verify it's something with your Cedega setup.
    No, Clicksaver doesn't work in Wine either although it did print out an error message "Unable to process 48 bytes from server".

Edit: I also found that I'd frequently crash out whenever the game wanted to play a video on the billboards. When you're playing on the free accounts you can't disable videos but I found that if I replaced any .bik in the mediacache directory with empty files they wouldn't be played and crash the game for me.

WINE runs AO?!!

omgz. *unsubscribes from cedega*
    finally cedega got p00ned?

By the way, we need a Linux chat + help bot NOW!
    Would be cool with a place for linux users to help each others out I guess.
    i win teh internets
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpacket
    omg luk i h4ve 12 yrs & i sw3r cuz i'm s000 l33t
    Quote Originally Posted by Tysken View Post
    its always these damn problems.. 24/7 6 days a week..

XD

Quote Originally Posted by assaultdk
    WINE runs AO?!!

omgz. *unsubscribes from cedega*
    finally cedega got p00ned?

By the way, we need a Linux chat + help bot NOW!
    Would be cool with a place for linux users to help each others out I guess.
    Well... the winehq people still have a few problems to work out
    The 8-10 mm icon-sized minimap, the pitch-black floors in some areas, the double mouse cursors and vanishing textures&text whenever AO weather effects kick in
    It would be nice with a channel/bot to talk about tech questions. Clan/Omni OOC doesn't quite seem the place to look for informed answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaghelion
    It would be nice with a channel/bot to talk about tech questions. Clan/Omni OOC doesn't quite seem the place to look for informed answers.
    Actually it sometimes does, but its rare.
    Someone make a tech/linux help bot!
    i win teh internets

XD

Has anyone had issues loading custom UIs? I've found the game is crashing with anything but the default UI.
    Retail "Shabura" Worker, level 214 Trader Lewt
    Chronic "Bhalash" Fumbler, level 202 Nano-Technician Lewt

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    Has anyone had issues loading custom UIs? I've found the game is crashing with anything but the default UI.
    I had trouble selecting a different skin in the launcher so I had to resort to editing
    Prefs/Main.cfg directly. Mine now reads:
    Code:
    <snip>
    GUISkin "textures/Foxyinterface/GUIGFX.UVGI"
    <snip>

Ooh.
    Is WINE slower than Cedega atm?
    i win teh internets

XD

Quote Originally Posted by assaultdk
    Ooh.
    Is WINE slower than Cedega atm?
    Not that I could detect... but it lacks several needed features... like ambient lighting so you can see farther then two inches.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast