Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: AO Linux HOWTO

holy crap this is awesome news

cant wait to boot into fedora and try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by jbocc
    Morb, would you share your research with us?
    I mean if you have any patches which are usable, I would like to try those too.
    I've put together some crappy page: http://a.chavasse.free.fr/aolinux_stuff

I've tried to enable all the ingame effects, and I went back to 1-2 fps in borealis. I'll have to check, but I think the code that convert vertices from d3d format to opengl might be what causes the bulk of the slowdown... If so, perhaps using vertex shader to do the conversion might help.
    I should have a new motherboard/CPU tomorrow, so I'll be able to see if my patch is really any helpful on a proper setup.

Awesome MORB.

I'll be playing around with this a bit more once i get the time.
    Lord "Khalem" Trevallien -=- Fixer Kingpin, proud officer and Loremaster of Ancarim Iron Legion
    Sir "Eoemar" Trevallien -=- Supreme Creator
    http://ao.shadow-realm.org/ - The Shadowlands Library -=- http://ai.shadow-realm.org/ - The Alien Invation library
    http://bebot.shadow-realm.org/ - BeBot - An Anarchy Online Chat Automaton
    http://aodevs.com/ - Anarchy Online 3rd party developers resource

"Frustration is not a good emotion when it comes to playing games."
    -- Former AO Game Director Marius Enge

Very cool but i'll wait till it runs smoother
    Buff Vlakhen Daddy ::: Gear

Btw, I'm on RK1

Excuse my n00bishness, but I can't get it to work no matter what...

- I installed cvscedega as per the guide[s], but when starting, it dies with
    Code:
    /usr/bin/cvscedega: line 87: 28279 Segmentation fault      "$ConfigurePrefix/bin/$WineExecName" "$@"
    - I also subscribed to transgaming and tried downloading Cedega4.0.1 and then compiling the patched cvscedega dlls and overwriting transgaming's versions of 'em, but no dice.. I got to the "Anarchy Online is loading" screen and then it just crashed [yay!]. I tried running cedega with pthreads and without pthreads, same result.
    I followed the guides to the letter [well, instead of cp dlls/libddraw.so ~/.WineCVS/installs/cvscedega/lib/ I did cp dlls/libddraw.so /usr/lib/cvscedega/lib/ etc.], was there something obvious-ish I missed?

OS is Gentoo 2004.2, kernel 2.6.7

tia

-- Z.

Were you able to get to login screen or did you crash before that? Any other error messages leading up to the crash? The hardest part always seems to just get Cedega to work with anything, especially CVS versions. Are you able to run anything else with it?
    Check out my HOWTO run AO in Linux: https://forums.anarchy-online.com/sh...hreadid=321249

Yeah, using transgaming-cedega, I got to the login screen without probs [crashed after the loading screen]. With cvscedega, it crashes right at the command line.
    I also tried installing / running Silent Storm with transgaming-cedega and that game worked...

-- Z.

Seems like something's not compiling right. If you can stop by #cedega on irc.freenode.net and maybe we can resolve this a bit more efficiently.
    Check out my HOWTO run AO in Linux: https://forums.anarchy-online.com/sh...hreadid=321249

Thanks for the help in IRC, works now! *happydance*
    [btw, everyone check out marius' howto with the aocedega script, works without a hitch]

-- Z.

Double-check if your graphic card driver is up an running (I don't know for nvidia, but the ati drivers can be painful sometimes) (simplest way is to run glxgears from a terminal window, and ensure the frame rate is more than about a thousand)

I also got some crashes with my new motherboards right after the "anarchy is loading" picture. Turned out I had turned on "agp fastwrite" in the bios, which caused the crash.

Also, check in your ~/.wine/config file that you have the vram / vertex memory size stuff setup properly (I've read vertex memory size should generally be half of video ram)

With xfree 4.3 and the ati drivers, I also can't run the game in windowed mode, it crashes right at the moment the AO window appear, it might be worth checking that aswell.

Thanks, but I already got it working thanks to ElmerFudd's new aocedega script... I probably messed something up in the profile selection. [graphics / sound worked fine, glxgears etc., though I have turned sound in ao off a loooooong time ago]

Something odd I've noticed.. some areas [Borealis obviously, but also Harry's / lush fields] are hideously slow [1fps and under] even if there aren't any other PCs nearby. Other 'big' and 'dense' areas like omni forest and greater tir country give decent FPS though... then again, I haven't tweaked videoram settings on this install yet.

-- Z.
    linuxtastically playing AO

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphir
    Something odd I've noticed.. some areas [Borealis obviously, but also Harry's / lush fields] are hideously slow [1fps and under] even if there aren't any other PCs nearby. Other 'big' and 'dense' areas like omni forest and greater tir country give decent FPS though... then again, I haven't tweaked videoram settings on this install yet.

-- Z.
    Tweaking your setting will probably not give you much speedup because in these areas the majority of execution time is spent on the cpu. When my 6800 came in, the slowest areas were only a few fps faster. This is because of inefficiencies in the cvs version. Unfortunately, they are not merging any internal improvements to their d3d code to cvs at this time. When the next binary release comes out, with my patches in there, I guarantee you will see a performance increase. I've hacked at a while ago 4.0.1 and gotten 30-70 fps in borealis on my 6800 and I expect some more performance with the next official release. My ati laptop went from 1-2fps in borealis to about 9fps without vbo. VBO breaks things horribly on that system causing massive display corruption and render speed of minutes per frame. I sold my 9800 so I can't test 'high end' ati performance anymore. This hasn't worked on everyone's setup even nvidias, so when I feel comfortable that this will not blow up in everyone's faces I'll update my howto.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaphir
    Thanks, but I already got it working thanks to ElmerFudd's new aocedega script... I probably messed something up in the profile selection. [graphics / sound worked fine, glxgears etc., though I have turned sound in ao off a loooooong time ago]

-- Z.
    Try disabling all the effects in AO visual settings. They make a huge difference in borealis, and probably in other areas that are as slow, for some reason.

I'm trying to get this to work on a SUSE9.1 installation, but bumped into a litle problem:

mike@linux:~/.aocedega/c_drive/Anarchy Online> aocedega anarchy.exe

err:module:BUILTIN32_dlopen failed to load .so lib for builtin oledlg.dll: /usr/lib/aocedega/lib/liboledlg.so: undefined symbol: dllname
    err:module:PE_fixup_imports Module (file) oledlg.dll (which is needed by C:\Anarchy Online\anarchy.exe) not found

I'm not used this wine thingies, and I'm pritty stuck (and a bit lazy too). Any hints?

Ditch Suse and get yourself a real Linux build?

But ehh, other than that, you're missing .dll files. Did you check to make sure they were there?
    Retail "Shabura" Worker, level 214 Trader Lewt
    Chronic "Bhalash" Fumbler, level 202 Nano-Technician Lewt

Hey cool, this made Slashdot
    Retail "Shabura" Worker, level 214 Trader Lewt
    Chronic "Bhalash" Fumbler, level 202 Nano-Technician Lewt

Quote Originally Posted by Bhalash
    Ditch Suse and get yourself a real Linux build?
    Well, I've been using everything from Ygdrasil, Slackware, Debian, RedHat, Mandrake and who know's what they all are called. I might also add that I've used linux on a daily basis since version 0.9 of the kernel. I don't know much about WINE on the other hand (mostly used win4lin or VMWare for emulation).

Why SUSE? Well, I've not used it since version 6, and are therefore spending some time to figure out how it is today (and I was fedup by all the bugs in Fedora). But this is not about distributions...

Quote Originally Posted by Bhalash
    But ehh, other than that, you're missing .dll files. Did you check to make sure they were there?
    According to the error message, the oledlg.dll is emulated by winex (liboledlg.so). Hm. But taking a closer look at the error message now, I see it is refering to /usr/lib/aocedega/lib/ -- and I did not check there... *slaps his forehead*

I'll better close the game and reboot to check this...

We don't officially support this, however I'm making it sticky because I know so many people are interested in it

Keep it up Bounsar!

I'm getting this error when running the script:

Patching...
    patching file dlls/d3dgl/prim.c
    Reversed (or previously applied) patch detected! Assume -R? [n]
    Apply anyway? [n]
    Skipping patch.
    1 out of 1 hunk ignored -- saving rejects to file dlls/d3dgl/prim.c.rej

Patching FAILED
    Try running the script with refresh:
    InstallAOCedega.sh refresh

Error in Configure

Try fixing the error based on the output above, and
    run the script again, without paramaters (Eg: InstallAOCedega.sh)
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have full version of cedega not CVS. Any ideas?

getting the same error with refresh also...

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast