Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: AO Linux HOWTO

Probably one of the best places to get help on installing the Nvidia drivers is;

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Some of Nvidia's developers post there, and many of the locals are very helpful, too

Cambo

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderw View Post
    I got the client installed under wine and have fully patched up. now I can log in but the client only gives me a black screen. any ideas ?
    Are you trying to run in windowed mode? Try full screen.
    /born Porter was born on Thu Jun 28 09:19:52 2001.
    I'm a Porter, Porters don't PVP.
    First Light

ok tried in full screen I can log on but does not go beyond the loding ao screen but I do get the SL music which tells me that I am in game... it looks like the visual is bugged

as for nvidia drivers it seems no matter the guide I use or the driver build I use I cna not get back into the system after install and have to clear and pave the OS and start over so I've giving up on getting drivers that are not part of the installed kernel... mainly cause I think it's when I change hte kernel is where the reboot issues come from
    Last edited by Alexanderw; Jul 28th, 2007 at 06:27:42.
    Alexanderw 220/17 Opi MA Current setup work in progress.

ok tried in full screen I can log on but does not go beyond the loding ao screen but I do get the SL music which tells me that I am in game... it looks like the visual is bugged

as for nvidia drivers it seems no matter the guide I use or the driver build I use I cna not get back into the system after install and have to clear and pave the OS and start over so I've giving up on getting drivers that are not part of the installed kernel... mainly cause I think it's when I change hte kernel is where the reboot issues come from
    ok once the nvidia drivers are installed, there's some editing you need to do in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file

Look for a line that says Driver "nv"

Change it to Driver "nvidia"

Also before going into the gui check that the nvidia module is loaded with lsmod | grep nvidia. If its not, as root, do modprobe nvidia then try to restart X after editing the config file. All this needs to be done as root.

The reason your graphics aren't working is due to direct rendering not working.

By the way, for the rest of the linux users, the latest cvs of Wine seems pretty stable with AO. I haven't tested inside LE missions yet. I had one crash, but I was dual logged so it could have been that, been playing/logged in for HOURS since with no problems at all.

yeah I did all of that... stil the same

appears after a look around there is a known issue with the drivers I was using.

I found that any binary driver 7177 up will solve this but the bad news is I can't get the kernel rpm to link to my current kernel read eveything I can but can't figure it out.

Pull the latest version you can use (7177 is REALLY old, get something newer, I'm using 9755) and don't get the rpm, get the .bin files from nvidia. They're easy enough to install.

Make sure you uninstall any older versions first.

Oh and update to my previous post, AO still crashes in wine when doing LE missions
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

ok I'll try the Bin files been using the rpm and it's giving me trouble at the driver complie step.

think I'll still need to make the kenel tho which I never really lik e doing

EDIT ok now matter what I search I always get the pkg run or rpm files can't find a bin file
    Last edited by Alexanderw; Jul 29th, 2007 at 05:38:50.

ok found drivers that work through lvida (a nv mod that enables direct rendering) but when I install it I loose my internet conection.

so I've cleared the system again cause I could not use yum with the drivers installed.

will try the drivers again once I can figure out why it messes up my ethernet connection

EDIT: seeing as I was not having a chance with fedora I pulled out my 2nd fav build ubuntu and installed drivers on that... every thing has worked and am right now re-downloading AO launcer so here's for hoping
    Last edited by Alexanderw; Jul 30th, 2007 at 20:09:03.

hum this is a pain.

using wine to install AO on ubuntu
    open setup.exe tells me to use install.exe.. click on install.exe says it can not find copyfiles.... look in folder it''s right next to the install.exe icon.

what am I doing worng ??

hum this is a pain.

using wine to install AO on ubuntu
    open setup.exe tells me to use install.exe.. click on install.exe says it can not find copyfiles.... look in folder it''s right next to the install.exe icon.

what am I doing worng ??
    Are you running Install.exe from within the directory with all the files?

like so:
    cd directory-with-install-files
    wine Install.exe
    and not
    wine /some/path/Install.exe

I just tried installing AO with wine 0.9.42 from ports, for the heck of it, installing and updating worked decently, with some minor glitches. I haven't been able to get it to run yet though, it keeps crashing just after the loadingscreen pops up. Or well, I did manage to get it running once with d3d dlls from windoze, but that ended up with my char having no head, crashed whenever I zoned, and only the ground was visible

Trying to create a character
    Last edited by Rubera; Jul 31st, 2007 at 12:09:28.
    Neophyte "Ruberaa" 5/0 - lolequip

got wine up and working now but now we have some issues.

I've installed Nvidia drivers and restarted

installed and patched AO

login then AO crashes get some device error

EDIT wait now it's working

now to see how it works with custom skin
    Last edited by Alexanderw; Jul 31st, 2007 at 03:19:49.

Hi !

I'm trying to get AO to work with Cedega under Ubuntu, and I get this error :

An error occurred while Talking to the server (Error 13).

It acts like it had no access to the net, but it has one since wow is working perfectly...

Have an idea ?

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmist View Post
    Hi !

I'm trying to get AO to work with Cedega under Ubuntu, and I get this error :

An error occurred while Talking to the server (Error 13).

It acts like it had no access to the net, but it has one since wow is working perfectly...

Have an idea ?
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=502933 ?
    Neophyte "Ruberaa" 5/0 - lolequip

No, I was trying before the downtime

So I'm just waiting for the servers to be up to try again

When the servers come up I am going to test and see if 17.5 fixes the crashing issue with wine. I'll keep you posted.
    Member of Spartans
    Hacre/Solitus/Keeper/220/29/70 - Ninpopotamus/Solitus/NT/220/30/70 - Charmming/Opifex/Crat/220/30/70
    Quote Originally Posted by randomalpha View Post
    in the end soldier is not Op or even near from that never was never will be just for the record only keepers are the ones before soldiers on the nerfest list
    Genius at work.

Anyone having issues after the most recent update?

My Frames per Second have dropped considerably, and the game just seems much more jumpy.

I am using Cedega 6.0.2, I have plenty of free RAM and my CPU is only at 50%.

Hi all,

I had AO running with Wine on Ubuntu feisty for some time with no problems.
    But now this latest patch of today for the concert (17.5.3) wont work for me - if i press ' Patch' on the login screen i get: `An unsupported operation was attempted` - and ' No file for patching found' - patching used to work fine with Wine too. Anyone else have the same problem or know a solution?
    Nijushio - 220/30 - semi-retired MA
    Nijutech - 220/29 - funny Engi
    Sabrezor - 170/24 - bored Advy
    Sabrezap - 150/20 - confused fixi

I've got the same problem. Using Ubuntu and wine. I even tried to reinstall and repatch, after 1 hour of patching (yes I've got a slow internet connection) I'm still at the starting point, I get the same error message. wtb solution!!!
    Xinos - TL 7 Engineer (RK2)
    Catrama - TL 7 Fixer (RK2)

Check here for some technical information on the probem: http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...1&postcount=17

No solution though, unfortunately.

Hi,
    ty for the replies. I sort of did the same like Sukas mentioned in this thread now:

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...d.php?t=505648

except i just copied my patched windows installation over to my wine AO folder - works fine so far. I gave my original wine installation a different name for backup reasons though. you never know : D
    Nijushio - 220/30 - semi-retired MA
    Nijutech - 220/29 - funny Engi
    Sabrezor - 170/24 - bored Advy
    Sabrezap - 150/20 - confused fixi

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast