Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: AO Linux HOWTO

I'm subscribing to Cedega and am using the open source drivers (the fglrx one just doesn't work). Not gonna change my hardware now (maybe when AoC launchs... )

AO worked fine this evening (Battlestation was laggy as hell, but still, i didn't crash). Gonna have to test it a bit more to see if it's more stable or just random.
    Thx for your advice, Gwen!
    Finalizer Telperion 220/22
    Manager Laurellyn 125/5

Member of First Light

[Account Cancelled]

Since I did touch this thread a few days ago and while it won't help Telperion it may help someone else, so here's what works for me:

* Mandriva 2007.0 from last autumn (it has a 2.6.17 kernel and proprietary drivers, the included Cedega version was nowhere near the latest and did not work properly for me)
    * Wine 0.9.35 built from source
    - have to play in full screen, otherwise I don't think I changed any settings from what it was under XP
    - I did add a registry setting for my graphics card RAM size but it already worked without that
    * Copied my AO directory from the NTFS partition it was under to a more accessible ext3 one on the same SATA disc (Linux boots from an old Parallel ATA drive where the largely unused swap also is)

The hardware, which is not up to date at all but runs AO just fine:
    AMD Sempron 2800
    2 GB RAM (DDR 400)
    Geforce FX 5950 with 256 MB RAM

Most of the time I have clearly less lag than under XP where I also had Windows + virtual memory and AO on different physical discs, I do not notice FPS being poorer but I rarely measure it exactly anyway. Parts of Jobe were terrible last Sunday, though.

The only problem currently is that I can not dual log another account at all.
    /born Porter was born on Thu Jun 28 09:19:52 2001.
    I'm a Porter, Porters don't PVP.
    First Light

Im playing around with AO and Linux lately and I'm getting not the same framerates than in Win. Linux is about 20% slower.
    36 fps against 28 fps at a carfully selected test location.

I use Xubuntu 7.04 and the latest package from winehq.com (0.9.36).
    Many people say than AO runs under Linux nearly as fast as under Windose, but for me this seems not to be true.

Is there anything i can do to to speed up AO?
    Help is greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Stormgiver View Post
    Im playing around with AO and Linux lately and I'm getting not the same framerates than in Win. Linux is about 20% slower.
    36 fps against 28 fps at a carfully selected test location.

I use Xubuntu 7.04 and the latest package from winehq.com (0.9.36).
    Many people say than AO runs under Linux nearly as fast as under Windose, but for me this seems not to be true.

Is there anything i can do to to speed up AO?
    Help is greatly appreciated!
    Are you using an ATI card? I've heard rumors that ATI's linux drivers are sub-par compared to the windows ones. On top of that, AO has issues with ATI cards under windows too. I'm using almost the same setup as you (Ubuntu 6.10, Wine 0.9.35), but with an Nvidia card and getting same or better fps than under windows xp.
    Last edited by silnumtao; May 2nd, 2007 at 21:30:12.

No, I'm using a Nvidia GeForce 6800...

Are you using any Windows .dlls or registry tweaks?

No, I'm using a Nvidia GeForce 6800...

Are you using any Windows .dlls or registry tweaks?
    I'm not. The only registry change was the above mentioned Video RAM setting. In AO I unticked compressed textures a few days ago and it probably helped with the Jobe issue and I hope some other areas. My network connection is fast but CPU isn't so not using compressed textures makes sense.

Hm, isn't Ubuntu a completely free software distro? I.e. it probably does not have the proprietary GFX drivers. If that is the case you should perhaps try out the proprietary Nvidia drivers.
    Last edited by porter; May 3rd, 2007 at 14:30:32.
    First Light

Ubuntu has its own free ati driver (named, curiously, "ati", or - can you believe it?- "radeon"). It is possible to install the proprietary driver ("flgrx"), although for some reason it just doesn't work on my computer, even with some libraries replacement.
    So i'm stuck with the rather suboptimal free "ati" driver from Ubuntu.

One way to improve AO's framerate is to install "driconf" and enable the ZBuffer-related option: it improved things a bit for me (especially in the super-laggy player cities and SL gardens), but it's still much slower than under Windows XP. Otherwise, i pretty much followed Gwen's advice on the previous page.

On a more personal issue, i keep getting annoying crashes, usually when opening info windows/skill window. I don't crash if i open these windows after having zoned a dozen times. Is anyone playing under Cedega and having the same issue? And if so, did switching to Wine improve it?
    Manager Laurellyn 125/5

Member of First Light

[Account Cancelled]

I installed the Nvidia display driver supplied by Ubuntu (1.0.9631) and it works.

In Cedega 6.0 the game runs much slower (~12 fps) and works only in 16 bit mode, which is ugly. So I didn't any more tests with this program.

Quote Originally Posted by porter View Post
    Hm, isn't Ubuntu a completely free software distro? I.e. it probably does not have the proprietary GFX drivers. If that is the case you should perhaps try out the proprietary Nvidia drivers.
    Ubuntu 6.10 gave me the binary Nvidia drivers by default after installation, so i'm pretty sure you can get them through the package manager repositories if they aren't already installed. Make sure that in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, under Device, it should be set to "nvidia" instead of "nv". "nv" is the open source one that ships with Xorg.

A good test to make sure acceleration is even working is to type "glxinfo" at a terminal. somewhere near the top there should be a line that says "acceleration: yes" or "acceleration:no".
    Last edited by silnumtao; May 4th, 2007 at 04:15:08.

Sil, I did that already.
    I verified via glxinfo and I can see the the Nvidia fullscreen logo before the X-server starts. Believe me, otherwise the game would be unplayable.

My experience with Linux so far:
    Despite the fact, that the game runs ~80% slower than in WinXP, I have almost no "lag over time" that windows features. In Windows - after playing some time and zoning a lot - the RAM gets crowded and the pagefile is used. This decreases overall performance.
    AO on Linux needs as much RAM as on Windows and swaps memory neither later or sooner - but swapping in Linux does not decrease performance. To be exact, it does decrease performance, but only when you zone. After you enter a new playfield, it is loaded into RAM - which takes 3 to 10 seconds - and after that the game runs at full speed again. This is a huge plus on Linux. It doesn't get slower over time.
    In Wine 0.9.36 there is a issue with the water textures, they are not shown correctly. Water surfaces are one-colored and semi-transparent. As this is the only graphical glitch, it doesn't really matter for me.

Still, there are people who claim that AO can be run as fast as in Windows, which seems not to true for me. But I would like it to run faster very much!

If anyone made the game run as fast as in Win, please tell me how!

Still, there are people who claim that AO can be run as fast as in Windows, which seems not to true for me. But I would like it to run faster very much!

If anyone made the game run as fast as in Win, please tell me how!
    It may depend on your hardware as well... My CPU is not that fast and the graphics card is not too new either but the SATA drives and internet connection are quite up to date and 2 GB of RAM is certainly useful. I do not notice any less FPS in general and game actually feels faster than in XP (especially zoning is much faster) but I did not get super high FPS in XP either anyway, considering the aging CPU.

Unfortunately I've recently developed a problem with Alien ships, game slowed down to a slide show with FPS in the 3-7 region most of the time while just before entering ship it was fine. I've not yet had time to start experimenting with settings to figure out what's going on.
    First Light

Porter, you say you do not feel less fps than in Win, have you measured it (ctrl+alt+f) or is it a subjective estimation?

I'm probably very noob, but i can't get AO to run under Wine.

The thing is: i've installed Cedega and AO (with the help of Cedega). Later, i've installed the Wine package. I can launch AO from the Cedega interface without problem.

But if i try to launch AO directly from Ubuntu's file browser interface (using "Open with Wine" or "Open with Cedega"), i keep getting a Visual C++ Runtime Error and i don't get the EULA screen.
    What am i doing wrong? Is there some kind of library i'm missing? Wine doesn't have a graphical interface, so how do i do to run the Visual C++ Libraries and AO at the same time?
    Manager Laurellyn 125/5

Member of First Light

[Account Cancelled]

Hm, I start the following way:

open a terminal
    cd to your AO directory
    wine client.exe (if your sound lags, type "nice -19 wine client.exe")

p.s. the ship in AIs is really hell of a slideshow :/

That's what i'm trying to do, but i get that Visual C++ Runtime Error again and again. Did you have to install anything else than just Wine itself in order to make AO run?
    Manager Laurellyn 125/5

Member of First Light

[Account Cancelled]

Hm, I start the following way:

open a terminal
    cd to your AO directory
    wine client.exe (if your sound lags, type "nice -19 wine client.exe")

p.s. the ship in AIs is really hell of a slideshow :/
    Same except: wine Anarchy.exe (and I have not had sounds enabled in AO in years).

Currently I'm thinking the white wavy light that moves on the floors and ceilings and is annoying as hell to begin with (and apparently can't be turned off by clicking any effects off) is the cause. I may be wrong, but at least when I stare at a dark wall my FPS goes up significantly. Should not be the aliens themselves or buffs on team mates since it works fine during ground raid.

I have now measured FPS when in Alien raids and I get 3-7 when fighting aliens on board while it is something like 15-25 outside and around 30 when sitting at Tir Grid for example. I haven't used CTRL-ALT-f in Windows in ages because game ran decently so I do not know if the FPS was better in XP except that it certainly was on board AI ships.

Quote Originally Posted by Telperion View Post
    That's what i'm trying to do, but i get that Visual C++ Runtime Error again and again. Did you have to install anything else than just Wine itself in order to make AO run?
    I compiled Wine from source, so I did first configure it with the option that lists what development libraries are possibly missing from my system. Then I installed all the relevant stuff and configured again. Then compiled and installed.
    First Light

Have you already tried to purge wine and reinstalled it?
    (aptitude purge wine and then aptitude install wine)

Porter, do still have Windows and would you like to compare the framerates?

Porter, do still have Windows and would you like to compare the framerates?
    I still have XP, too. I'll see if I can run some FPS tests without too much issues with copying or not copying preferences back and forth
    First Light

Just take a character, let it sit down at a place where you can view in the far, display the fps and - don't look around.
    Then try in Linux and - don't look around.

I "used" a park bench in Rome Red.

I recently updated Ubuntu from Dapper to Feisty, and AO is now running with decent performance, on par with what i used to have when using Windows. The crashes are still here, but they're manageable if i'm a bit cautious. I've yet to test Pande raids, but Alien raids are running just fine.
    Manager Laurellyn 125/5

Member of First Light

[Account Cancelled]

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast