Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: AO Linux HOWTO

new problems

I've been successfully using cedega for over a year now, but suddenly within the last 2 weeks I can't get it to work anymore. As soon as my toon is logging in, right before the big AO symbol appears as it is loading up, it craps out with this message.

For language 'en' several language ids were found:
    en_US - 0409; en_GB - 0809; en_AU - 0C09; en_CA - 1009; en_NZ - 1409; en_IE - 1809; en_ZA - 1C09; en_JM - 2009; en_ - 2409; en_BZ - 2809; en_TT - 2C09;
    Instead of using first in the list, suggest to define
    your LANG environment variable like this: LANG=en_US
    en_US - 0409; en_GB - 0809; en_AU - 0C09; en_CA - 1009; en_NZ - 1409; en_IE - 1809; en_ZA - 1C09; en_JM - 2009; en_ - 2409; en_BZ - 2809; en_TT - 2C09;
    Number of color bits are set to 32 when making depth-buffer.
    Attemting to make 32 bit depth-buffer and 0 bit stencil buffer.
    Succeeded to make 32 bit depth-buffer with a 0 bit stencil-buffer.
    Running Lock-buffer-1 at 8, 8
    Running Lock-buffer-1 at 8, 8
    mmtime pid=6552 tid=6557
    wine client perror:4: write/writev: Invalid argument

I'm running kubuntu... any ideas?

Anyone running AO+Cedega under 64bit enviroment (for example Gentoo 64)?
    "Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience."
    -Drizzt Do´Urden

Quote Originally Posted by Achali
    Anyone running AO+Cedega under 64bit enviroment (for example Gentoo 64)?
    Yes, Gentoo 64. Runs oh so nicely.

Thumbs up AO on Linux better than in Windows XP (for me anyway)

With the recent issues that have cropped up (see the various threads about lock-ups and BSOD (some people see a reboot rather than a BSOD due to their system settings.)) I'm happy to report that AO is running better in Linux (Fedora Core 5 of all distributions!) than it does in Windows XP. Strange eh?

Indeed, when running AO in Windows XP I get the pausing for a few seconds as everything (textures, players, etc.,) seems to try and load all at once every few feet. But when playing in Linux using Cedega 5.2.1 AO will load so much faster, especially noticeable while zoning. FYI: All other games that I play (WOW, BF2, TFC, CSS, etc.,) don't seem to have any problems that AO does as of the writing of this post.

Support has been working with me to resolve this issue that I have with Windows XP; the issue is still unresolved at this time. Though AO is not officially supported in Linux, I have ran into no problems while playing with Cedega.

Of course you could try to start cedega with the LANG variable set to us.
    Something like:

Code:
    LANG=en_US cedega &
    The other thing you might want to try is check what your /etc/locale.gen says because it sounds like you've set up Kubuntu to use all locales available instead of only the ones you actually need. You should be able to use set up which locales you want with:
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure locales
    May your RD always kick in between death and reclaim.
    Honest Businessmen and women: The Mockers
    I eat Grid Armor nanos. *BURP* Hungry again!
    Power Users run Anarchy Online from Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivx
    wine client perror:4: write/writev: Invalid argument
    I to would like to know the problem here. I was runnign fine last night and today I get that error. The only thing i have done was make a simbolic link so I could run the games from another drive due to space. Now I get this error. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

regarding the error....
    I discovered that I can play the game in full screen mode. Windowed mode no longer works. Still don't know why though.

Further investigation showed that I could log into otehr characters with no crashing. So I removed the Pref folder and made sure to clean out the meta* folder and after doing so I was able to log in the messed up character again. Although, shortly after making some changes in game to video and re-doing my quick key tab, logging back in crashed me again. So, no clue yet what it is. Deleting the Pref folder again allowed me to log in /shrug

there is definetly a bug somewhere, i had to delete my prefs folder once too to get the game to bot, never had that problem again tho, i run Gentoo + Cedega.
    it rocks and lag is heavily reduced.

Using AO under Cedega works more or less fine but there's a few problems:

- While lag caused by disc access is reduced a lot the 3D animation in itself is not as good as under windows, it's in SL indoors area that it's the most noticeable (temples, dungeons and missions), while under windows it is smoother than outside under cedega I get really awfull FPS.

- Using Cedega 5.2 the "!" key of my keyboard doesn't work as all special characters of my euro (french) keyboard, I was using cedega 4.2 before and the "!" worked (not the special characters but it's a lesser matter)

- I had often crashs when entering indoors areas like mishs or alien ships, it usually happened only once at start, on Cedega 4.2 under Debian at least. I switched to windows mainly for AO at some point and just recently reinstalled Kubuntu with Cedega 5.2 but haven't used it much mainly because of this "!" key problem.

using:

NV 5200 FX
    2.6Ghz Celeron
    1.2G ram
    Kubuntu
    Last edited by Ll4m4; Aug 16th, 2006 at 01:56:10.

I got anarchy online to work in the CVS version, however it was playing at around 2-4 fps, with no sound and I got spammed with this in konsole:
    Code:
    fixme:ddraw:ProcessStridedVertices light vertices in software
    and after about 15 seconds my game crashed.

I tried to run it again but I got the following:
    Code:
    $ aocedega anarchy.exe
    fixme:win32:PE_CreateModule Load Configuration directory ignored
    err:task:GetThreadQueue16 Breaking 16 bit for tid 10
    and it didnt exit to the shell, just stayed there for forever, until I exited it.

my system specs:
    1.79 Ghz Celeron
    1Gb RAM
    Video Card: NVidia GeForce 6200 (128Mb RAM)

Quote Originally Posted by i07
    I got anarchy online to work in the CVS version, however it was playing at around 2-4 fps, with no sound and I got spammed with this in konsole:
    Code:
    fixme:ddraw:ProcessStridedVertices light vertices in software
    and after about 15 seconds my game crashed.

I tried to run it again but I got the following:
    [code]$ aocedega anarchy.exe
    Aocedega, or the cvs version of cedega is quite outdated. You might have better luck by installing a Wine snapshot from http://www.winehq.org. They have some precompiled Ubuntu packages there. (which work ok in Debian as well).

Hmm. wine 0.9.19 doesn't seemt to work that well... you might have to try an older snapshot.

Quote Originally Posted by lusthorne
    has anyone noticed a bug running ao in cedega where shift + left clicking on an item to get its description turns the entire screen black?
    Same problem here.

Before updating my system including upgrading xorg, the nvidia driver and cedega to the newest version, everything went fine except for some minor bugs.

I think the error comes from the nvidia driver combined with xorg 7.0, but ill try some other versions to test it.

Sys:
    X.org 7.0.0
    Nvidia: 1.0-8762
    Kernel: 2.6.17

any word on a clicksaver clone for AO under linux?
    only thing holding me back from giving up windows is this...
    vote for or suggest more ideas on an in-game scripting tool here:
    http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...90#post4016590

Quote Originally Posted by Lhylhy View Post
    Because you don't have all the required libs SaintDogbert, what you need to compile successfully aocedega is:
    -wget
    -XFree86 devel packages
    -XFree86 Mesa packages
    -XFree86 Mesa devel packages
    -Flex (flex-old on debian)
    -Bison
    ( http://www.linux-gamers.net/modules/...p?articleid=45 )

Check if all of them are installed for your distrib and then it should works.

I noticed too i can have some compilation errors with gcc3+... i just reexecute the 'make' (sometimes 2,3 times) sentence and it works (yes, strange behaviour isn't it ?)
    Posting for a friend trying to get ao working, he's having the same problem as decribed here http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...4&postcount=90
    and has done the above even tried to reexecute the 'make' cmmand 5 times and is still recieveing the same problem, can anyone give any further advice?
    Ebondevil - Omni Level 220 Agent on Atlantean, Feel free to contact me any time if you have questions, in game or out.
    Varinox - Omni Level 220 Meta-Physicist on Atlantean
    Yamarra - Omni Level 150 Shade on Atlantean

Feel free to send me any tell in game or a Private Message if you require anything.

Written by Nenat:

Your game crashes if you press Shift+Left-Click? Or if you try to view the new 16.3 Skill Window?

It's the GUI.

I accidently found a few workarounds for these problems. It seems that there's a problem with big windows with a lot of text in it.

Shift+Left-Click solution:

Run the game and Shift+Left-Click a backpack. The backpack doesn't have much text and so it works. Make the window small.. a small square window makes it hard to read the info but it seems to work. Now once you did that, try to view an item that has more info on it like a NanoCrystal or a Weapon. If you got it that small that it doesn't crash, sit down and log out so the settings are saved for that character.

The new skill window solution:

The new skill window from the 16.3 patch is in fact a huge text window, and therefore will crash you. Close your inventory, press Y to close the quickbar just in case, and then press Shift+\ to close the rest of the gui (chat windows will stay but that shouldn't be a problem). Then, press U to open the skill window, view or set your skills, close the skill window again, then open it all up again (Y then I then Shift+\).

I have no idea why this is a problem. I ran the game in Wine but the graphics are so crappy and it's so slow, zoning to for example Broken Shores crashes the game if i run it in Wine.

I hope the Funcom people see where the problem is, and fix it if they can. Else i hope the new NVidia or Xorg drivers will fix this problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trebius View Post
    Silence m8! The beast is sleeping, do not wake her and incur her wrath.
    Lyzor 220 Opi - PVP Doc
    Current
    Wishlist

Running nvidia drivers 8762 and xorg 7.0 here with no problems at all in 16.3. Latest version of Cedega.

Make sure you're using the Anarchy Online GDDB profile.

I too suffered with the corrupted preferences issue causing the game to crash, but since deleting prefs, no problems.
    Last edited by Hacre; Aug 31st, 2006 at 19:50:07.

AO on Cedega CVS

Great job man. I've been looking for a reason to switch to linux for a long time.

AO runs like a dream on Suse Linux 9.3, much better than it did on windows. The only problem is have is the water textures isn't drawn properly and when i enter a playfield with water for example outmost yard in adonis the game lag so that it's almost unplayable.

I know getting the paid version of Cedega will most likely fix the problem, but i would like to try with the CVS version before i spend the money.

Did anybody have a similar problem with the CVS version that could suggest a solution?

The Cedega CVS is severly out of date.
    The water problem is caused by bad pixel shader support in Cedega CVS.
    To work around it disable "Off-screen surface technology" in AO ingame options.(F10)

Talking water problem in AO with CVS Cedega

Turning "offscreen surface technology" off didn't help any but turning "liquid animation" off under Environmental Effect did solve it.

AO is now running smooth as a baby's but with the exception of minor frame rate drops in pen mishes for example.

Thanks for the tip though Kaghelion )

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast