Thread: Where's my damn christmas...!

Talking Where's my damn christmas...!

Now before everyone flames me to death.... I am well aware that not everyone celebrates christmas... The actual purpose of this thread is to suggest a nifty idea that was in Phantasy star online... textures and objects that were activated for certain calendar dates... example christmas trees and lights for the week around x-mas...
    And before anyone starts I do realize two things:
    1) yes the game is in the far future, but in episode one we do see them make reference to hallowe'en...so why not other holidays...why not invent special holidays for Rubi-Ka that would change the decor of the cities for a day or two...
    2)I also am aware that there are more sever technical issues that need to be dealt with before any of these "frivolous" ideas can be considered....
    hey it's just another idea from my fevered brain...

I think Omni-Tek would celebrate its incorporation and the Clans would probably celebrate the day of the miner's revolt (or the fall of Omni-2 as another poster suggested in a different thread)

Celebrating religious holidays (like Christmas) would get really sticky. I think AO would be better off "inventing" holidays indigenous to the game.
    Anastasia "Aniee" Cervenak
    Martial Artist

Man is the only animal that blushes, or needs to. -------Mark Twain

Thumbs down bah humbug

I will cut-and-paste this quick response to every stupid X-mas thread.
    ( I'm gessing I'm going to be busy the next couple of weeks )

There should be no christmas on Rubi-Ka.
    30,000 years in the future noone will remember what a 'Christ' is.
    Even today, most people on this planet dont care.
    Nonsense like that should be buried in history.

I hate December on Earth enough.
    An entire month of the worst music ever written
    (you cant even buy groceries without being subjected to it),
    beggars with bells, and men in fake beards on TV trying to
    sell me car-stereos.
    'Very Special' holiday espisodes with preachy messages
    and convienient miracles that hint at divine intervention
    but avoid making any firm religious statements so as
    not to offend the sponsers.
    Marketing Traditions that demand you spend more, eat more,
    and be a better fatter geedier consumer in the name of 'giving'.
    And if you dont paticipate, dont have the 'spirit', dont decorate,
    dont donate, dont buy ..
    well ..
    you must be a nasty old grinch/scrooge/sociopath with no friends
    and no love in your heart.

I just dont go outside this month.
    I wont listen to the radio and I wont watch TV.

It saturates all other forms of entertainment already;
    let Anarchy Online be a shelter from it.

read the first post...
    Now before everyone flames me to death.... I am well aware that not everyone celebrates christmas...
    And before anyone starts I do realize two things:
    1) yes the game is in the far future, but in episode one we do see them make reference to hallowe'en...so why not other holidays...why not invent special holidays for Rubi-Ka that would change the decor of the cities for a day or two...

Learn to READ it make life easy

As cool as the Pumpkinheads were,
    the Halloween thing was a cheap gimmick
    and most of the responses I saw agreed
    that it was lazy storytelling.

In AO im omni.

In the REAL world im neutral, I am athiest.
    I respect others beliefs etc.

Not having Christmas is stupid, if you dont want it because it offends you then shut the hell up, nobody cares, save the argument.

If you dont want it because you think other people will get offended.
    Deal with it, films have it

And its up the THEM what they do, but I honeslt hate people who Critisise other people, Do you know what the word for this is? Dogmatic.

You dont listen to other peoples views, you think because you, whoever it may be dont like something, dont agree does not make it right.

I really dont give a damn what anyone wants to celebrate this game with, anything is fine.

I didnt have christmas last year, big ooh.
    And i dont know about this year, still havent put up the tree or anything, i think i might though.

dunno why i even celebrate it, I mean...

Must...make...own........anual celebration.
    Hmmm... The day I reached lvl 100 day hehe.

All im going to do is go down to babs or that other one,d rink drink drink drink and drink girls, hubba hubba etc etc.
    But whos going to go on AO first on christmas day hehe.

oook and dont even think about new years

hmmm... NYE sitting in front of my comp, chain smoking, playing AO until I can't see or Going out and getting drunk of my face celebrating with my friends?....<pauses to think>....computer it is...(I'm a sick man)

Merry christmas to all and to all a good night.... <even the bitter scumbug...>

(Authors note: Please note the server can barely contain the sarcasm in this post....however I Will probably log on around at 3:00 AM EST to play...like I said before I'm a sick man...)

Christmas

I don't see why there wouldn't be a christmas on rubi-ka. The catholic church is still a prominent power in the universe, and in fact was against the cell structure scanners until about 100 years ago. You'd figure they would want their biggest holiday celebrated.

kirby you beat me to it.

christ, or rather by extension the catholic church is part of the storyline.

but i do like the alternate idea of a non-specific holiday. Catholic church recognizes other beliefs, and proposes the Children of Abraham day. All three "major" religions are in fact all children of Abraham, so....

but, that doesnt help if u normally celebrate Kwanza, or are a Buddhist, Shintoist. etc etc...

I think I would have to side on the no-holiday theme. perhaps commemoration days as pointed out above for omni-tekkie day and freedom day.