Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: No full performance with Ati Radeon 9+++ cards ?

Update the RadLinker link please, it seems to be out of date.

I used to have quite problems with my 9800 pro card when playing AO, as GPUrecovery, crashes and stuff like that. Recently, after a new driver from ATI, the card is being overheating when playing AO and after about 2-3 min ingame, the card freezes and computer crashes.
    I cleaned my computer with a compressor so it's clean from dust but it seems that AO is really sucking the energy out of my card.

Edit:
    To add that I've reinstalled my driver and checked for updates and error reports on the current driver but can't seem to find anything...
    Although, if it's not AO, it could be some of my coolers being deffect.

I'm having almost the exact same issue as the person previous to my post, the Radlinker tutorial needs to be updated as there is no "clientr.exe" nor a DirectX tab when the link is made with any file.

Thanks.

Don't use radlinker? Someone stated it's not working at all anyway.... Just download omega drivers.
    And I don't have any problems with my 9800SE... weird.
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

radlinker works plenty fine for me.. tho the z buffer thingy you can do from general display settings too as u probably need it for some other games aswell..

and what's it doing for you?
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."

since radeon 9xxx cards dont support 32 bit z buffer depth and ao is stupid it by default runs ao with 16 bit z buffer, with radlinker tho i can set it to 24 bit improving framerate

Does it really improve? I tried it with 9700 few times and never saw difference...

Z-buffer bitdepth has not much to do with framerate, it mostly affects depth culling accuracy under certain circumstances.
    In fact, higher z-buffer depth can slightly decrease performance especially at higher resolutions, so forcing it to 24 bit instead of 16 would actually decrease performance, not increase it.

But when I spent about an hour testing all the possible Z-buffer settings with RadLinker, I noticed no difference whatsoever. Not to mention that the recommended setting in the OP is the default setting of the driver, so setting the same thing again would make no difference anyway.

"All things point to that they didn't play to win, but for the game itself and to play well. ... Later in their evolution, they forgot all about playing and having fun. When their corrupted minds only cared for what new ways they could gain power, there was no room for the simple things in life."
    - One Who Will Always Listen
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."
    - Librarian Isador Aikos, W40k: Dawn of War
    "If you want to make enemies... try to change something."
    - Adam Jensen, Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Omega drivers are virtually useless (pending upon if it works well for you), it varies a bit of change for some people but for others it does nothing.

I took someones advice and downloaded the older drivers, catalys 5.3 and got a very small amount of change.

Really none of this has done anything for me at all.

And what is your problem?

Ever since I updated to ATI's 6.11 drivers I've had massive issues with texture flashing/rendering.

It helped out a bit when I updated to the 5.3 drivers, but I still have a lot more lag than I did at one point.

And as it seems now I'm stuck on 5m view distance -everywhere.-.

Regardless of what I change it to there is no apparent difference.

-shrugs.-

A general note: You should see that there still is no general solution which works for everyone...
    Some tweaks/drivers will fix crashes and some will improve performance on someones pc and on others they will not.

But in this thread all who have trouble with an ATI card and AO can find some things to try out and find the best settings/driver or a combination of both for them.
    ~ HS ~
    [ Seppuku ]
    Member of the Tremor family: Misat0 :: AsukaLangley :: AyanamiRei :: Dextral :: Sinistral :: Pellaquare :: Salesman1337 :: Daemoness
    Retired: Misato Katsuragi-Messamore

[ The Foolish Testers ]
    R.I.P.: Misat0 Katsuragi :: Darkrei

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345