Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No full performance with Ati Radeon 9+++ cards ?

lol
    interesting point
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

then again the original poster said to use radlinker on clientr.exe not anarchy.exe

Radlinker does not interact with AO in any way shape or form. Its just a tool that will allow you to create a shortcut with settings for direct x that will allow ATI cards to perform better in AO. If you knew what you were doing you could make the same adjustments without the use of a program. Radlinker uses a GUI to allow a noob to pick which settings they want to use and simplifies the creation process of the shortcut.

One problem with the tweak. When you start AO it will run Anarchy.exe for the opening launcher to verify password and decide which char to play. It will then run Clientr.exe for the game. Completely bypassing radlink. Test it for yourself. Set Radlink to have a setting opposite of your video card settings. IE Turn on anti-aliassing only in the Radlink Clientr. It doesn't do anything.
    This to me sounds like you still launch the game using a shortcut to anarchy.exe If you followed all the steps correctly you should have created a shortcut to Clientr and used that shortcut to launch the game. For the record I performed your test by creating two seperate Clientr shortcuts. One which enabled AA and one which disabled it.

When I launched the AA "on" shortcut the AA was enabled and working. When I launched the AA "off" shortcut AA was disabled and not working.

can someone give me an example how exactly performace was increased?
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

On my Ati radeon 9000 mobility (laptop) i had terrible slowdown. I tried this tool and it didnt help. I did however fix the problem a different way. In the AO settings in the "change graphics device settings" i have i list of drivers. There are 4 of them for some reason:

1) RADEON 9000 SERIES \ Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration through Direct3D HAL
    2) RADEON 9000 SERIES \ Microsoft Direct3D Hardware Transform and Lighting acceleration capable device
    3) RADEON 9000 SERIES \ Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration through Direct3D HAL
    4) RADEON 9000 SERIES \ Microsoft Direct3D Hardware Transform and Lighting acceleration capable device

The defult one which was selected was the second one. I changed this to the first one and performance increased dramaticaly. I was able to put settings on full and still get a great framerate. Whereas before with the settings on low the game was unplayable.

Originally posted by Hobart Da MP
    Radlinker does not interact with AO in any way shape or form. Its just a tool that will allow you to create a shortcut with settings for direct x that will allow ATI cards to perform better in AO. If you knew what you were doing you could make the same adjustments without the use of a program. Radlinker uses a GUI to allow a noob to pick which settings they want to use and simplifies the creation process of the shortcut.

This to me sounds like you still launch the game using a shortcut to anarchy.exe If you followed all the steps correctly you should have created a shortcut to Clientr and used that shortcut to launch the game. For the record I performed your test by creating two seperate Clientr shortcuts. One which enabled AA and one which disabled it.

When I launched the AA "on" shortcut the AA was enabled and working. When I launched the AA "off" shortcut AA was disabled and not working.
    Sorry but it doesn't matter if you put the shortcut on anarchy.exe or clientr.exe. Or both. And if you try to launch it with clientr, it will just call up anarchy.exe, as the account and password program, it will then call up clientr.exe. You can verify this by bringing up Task Manager, it will show anarachy.exe at first then once you selected your char it will bring up Clientr. Again, bypassing radlink. However radlink leaves those options in your systems display properties. So if you were to change those settings system wide it will work.

However the problem I ran into wasn't a 32bit z buffer call, but when I disabled my Hierachical Z it solved my problem.
    Martin
    Greyboar Rk2 MA ------- Ignace Rk2 Fixer
    Relaed Rk2 Trader------- Rascogne Rk2 Trader
    Volleyball Rk2 MP ------- Yvonne Rk2 MP
    DirtyHarry Rk2 Enf ------ Zulkeh Rk2 Engineer
    Dara Rk2 Adv----------- Marechal Rk2 Soldier
    DrZhivago Rk2 Doc ----- NurseJoann Rk2 Doc

Well... I tried it out with RadLink and I must say I really did not realized any positive effects on screen. After I installed RadLink and had to set the DirectX as on mastablastas manual described, it was already set to "16,24;8 bit stencil", so there was no need to set there something and logically there s nothing new to the performance.

But I am just wondering if there are any negative effects when starting AO with RadLink ?
    Calvin "Stormlord" Cathal
    "j00 r0xx0r, CalvinCathal!
    You last visited: Dec 7th, 2004 at 18:46:56"

Holy crap... never thought this game takes me back, even if I have to restart from lvl 1...

Come on people, be serious!! What kind of improvement were you expecting on a 9800 XT? AO is 3 years old, evn if you were halfpowered you wouoldn't notice anything...

and don't confuse lag and computer being slow or whatever. Running across the hill will not let you note any improvement. There it's not the graphic overload that slows you down, but the massive amount of data from network. No matter what ubber super duper connection of kickass you have, that guy over there is on AOL 56K and you need his infos too for a correct display...

Please make a difference between network and graphic slowness...

Anyway I'm gonna try that thing. Might fix some glitches.
    Last edited by Uriel999; Aug 15th, 2004 at 02:27:02.
    Socializer 86% - Explorer 66% - Achiever 33% - Killer 13%. And proud of it!

Originally posted by Uriel999
    ...that guy over there is on AOL 56K and you needs his infos to for a correct display...
    Who is on 56k?

(if you mean me: i got 3000k flatrate connection O-o)

Holy crap... never thought this game takes me back, even if I have to restart from lvl 1...

I wasn't thinking of someone specifically... Kinda like:
    "once upon a time on athen hill, a brave warrior was walking, but his vision was obfuscated by low FPS.
    A bit worried he asked a thief what was going on. The thief replied "don't worry my friend. It's just that we have alot of sync needed here, for we are numerous. But several of us have a low speed connection. it always takes a while."
    Disapointed by the sync probleme but please by the fact his own system wasn't faulty, he left, still at 2 FPS, to a less crowded area, where he could meditate his newfound knowledge"

I don't blame it on 56K people. I've been one of them for a while
    Socializer 86% - Explorer 66% - Achiever 33% - Killer 13%. And proud of it!

Originally posted by Uriel999
    "once upon a time on athen hill, a brave warrior was walking, but his vision was obfuscated by low FPS.
    A bit worried he asked a thief what was going on. The thief replied "don't worry my friend. It's just that we have alot of sync needed here, for we are numerous. But several of us have a low speed connection. it always takes a while."
    Disapointed by the sync probleme but please by the fact his own system wasn't faulty, he left, still at 2 FPS, to a less crowded area, where he could meditate his newfound knowledge"
    kool tale

Well... I have had some serious problems with the following setup:

ABIT KV8 Pro
    Athlon 64 3000+
    Radeon 9600 XT

After spending almost a week screwing with BIOS settings, trying out xp-64 edition, and various other tweaks/drivers I came to a few invariable truths:

When in doubt, disable "FastWrite" in your BIOS and with SmartGart.
    If your video is repeatedly locking up (VPU recovery stuff), view your AGP settings with SmartGart and turn down AGP speed to 4x.
    If your BIOS has an AGP setting where you can put 'wait' bubbles before the R/W cycles, try it; it may improve stability.
    Sent hate mail to ATI.

Originally posted by Bacillus
    When in doubt, disable "FastWrite" in your BIOS and with SmartGart.
    If your video is repeatedly locking up (VPU recovery stuff), view your AGP settings with SmartGart and turn down AGP speed to 4x.
    If your BIOS has an AGP setting where you can put 'wait' bubbles before the R/W cycles, try it; it may improve stability.
    Sent hate mail to ATI.
    Shouldnt have fast Write on with an ATi Card anyway.

Whys end hate mail to ATi?

Theres nothign wrong with thier card its just AO.

Well, I have ATI 9600XT and I too have lags, especially when entering Rome, Jobe, or just heavily populated zone like in front of Borealis Fair Trade shop.

I also noticed, that upon entering such areas and while running through them, my hard disk activity indicator starts to blink fast and often and sometimes stays lit for a noticeable period of time. And in the same time game lags, chops and stutters.

So I'm more concerning in buying another 512Mb of system memory instead of tweaking with videocard, because it's clear to me that problem is with "heavy" zones not being able to fit in memory and being swapped to and from HDD.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Internalfire
    Shouldnt have fast Write on with an ATi Card anyway.
    could you elaborate as to the reasons for this?
    WoW incoming!!
    Hurjakeeper (204)
    GMT/UTC+2
    Big Bad NOT a Sword
    Damage: alot-more(and then some)
    Atk. Skills: 2hEdged: 100%

(im tempted to tell you about the inadequacy of certain fabled sword here but i'll refrain myself)

Bacillius, try to get a BIG fan, a table fan, or a 2000w heater on blowing, not heating, try place it blowing on open comp, with full buggy graphics settings. it worked for me, which is why im trying to get my strore to take the buggy thing back.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.

Member of Angels of the night, Rimor

Quote Originally Posted by QooLiO
    Well, I have ATI 9600XT and I too have lags, especially when entering Rome, Jobe, or just heavily populated zone like in front of Borealis Fair Trade shop.

I also noticed, that upon entering such areas and while running through them, my hard disk activity indicator starts to blink fast and often and sometimes stays lit for a noticeable period of time. And in the same time game lags, chops and stutters.

So I'm more concerning in buying another 512Mb of system memory instead of tweaking with videocard, because it's clear to me that problem is with "heavy" zones not being able to fit in memory and being swapped to and from HDD.

Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Absolutely spot on.

Couldn't have said it better myself. If you don't have enough RAM Windows will use the Virtual Paging memory as RAM and this causes the disk lag that most people talk about.

Bearing in mind i play from a very low end system and only have an SIS 651C graphics controller to play AO and I am playing quite happily with a few stutters here and there so it just goes to show it's not all about uber Graphics cards...

any official news about the support of the "offscreen surface technology" for ATI users? It's one of the backcover features of Shadowlands, isn't it odd that it's not working with ATI, while it works with nVidia (remember, Funcom has a partnership deal with the former)? I'd really love to at least hear that they're looking into it... even with no ETA whatsoever, just an official acknowledgement, like "we know the issue,we will fix it as soon as possibile, we'll keep you posted", that would make a happy leet out of me ^_^
    Naima - Sorcerer of Atlantean, at the service of the Clans since 29475

Unhappy Clientr.exe and ATI problems

Quote Originally Posted by Uriel999
    Come on people, be serious!! What kind of improvement were you expecting on a 9800 XT? AO is 3 years old, evn if you were halfpowered you wouoldn't notice anything...

and don't confuse lag and computer being slow or whatever. Running across the hill will not let you note any improvement. There it's not the graphic overload that slows you down, but the massive amount of data from network. No matter what ubber super duper connection of kickass you have, that guy over there is on AOL 56K and you need his infos too for a correct display...

Firstly the issue with clientr is in its coding. The second to last patch improved things a little but clientr is still taking huge amounts of processing power. With a better GPU some of the load on the CPU gets transferred hence the improvement in performance with a better card.

I am currently running AO on a P4 3Ghz with 1gb Ram and a 9700Pro card.

At 1280x1024 x 16 and low detail settings I am experiencing big lag in the vicinity of player built cities and impossible lag once an attack hits.

Zone crashing is still an issue, even after the patch that should fix it. Once clientr.exe crashes, it seems to freeze any LAN connection as well, making it impossible to log back in and disconnecting any software that is currently online.

The issue is further complicated if you have two accounts and wish to do a transfer or help guildie out while playing your main. It is almost impossible to dual log as things are now.

After AI Clientr is starting to behave like the good/bad old days of 12.4... its hogging resources and crashing more often than not.. requiring a reboot to clean up the mess....
    Legion
    Beartwo

and a whole litter of bearcubs ...

"Only the dead have seen the end of war." -- Plato
    "You see me now, a soldier, of a 1000 psychic wars...." -- Blue Oyster Cult

So, youre saying radlinker is worthless for helping AO?

My Home on the Web KittySafe Ntwrk
    Quote of the Month: "The day I feel sorry for someone who gets paid for browsing an internet forum is the day I peel off all my skin, make a canoe and set sail for Saturn." Alienchild

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast