Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: No full performance with Ati Radeon 9+++ cards ?

No full performance with Ati Radeon 9+++ cards ?

Greets,

I wasnt like 3 weeks online and when I came back I ve heard in any channel I cant remember now that people were talking about some rumours are going around that the ATI Radeon graphic cards doesent give the full performance on Anarchy Online...

Well, I got an ATI Radeon Sapphire 9800 pro+ Card and installed the Catalyst drivers at the www.ati.com site and the game is working VERY well on my screen... no lags... no instabilities... just wondering if any ATI Radeon card users got some problems with the performance.

I also have heard people saying something about some graphic tool programs especially for AO.

Any ideas?
    Calvin "Stormlord" Cathal
    "j00 r0xx0r, CalvinCathal!
    You last visited: Dec 7th, 2004 at 18:46:56"

Holy crap... never thought this game takes me back, even if I have to restart from lvl 1...

It's a problem with the way AO works with those cards:

Old thing, but here it is again (note: copy-paste from GSE website):

As some ATi users may have noticed, there are some bugs with AO's use of the Radeon 9x00 line of graphics cards from ATi. This is apparently caused by AO sending 32 bit instructions to the Radeon Z-buffer, which doesn't support 32 bit, and instead of switching to 24 bit, which is supported, it goes down to 16 bit.
    This can be fixed by downloading a small program called RadLinker and creating a so-called Radlink to the Clientr.exe in your AO dir and starting this instead of the regular Anarchy.exe, which the standard shortcut created at game install refers to.

Once you have downloaded RadLinker you must install it, which requires windows installer (standard application that you most likely have, otherwise there is a link to it on the RadLinker website).

Now go to your AO directory and find "clientr.exe", right-click it and select "Create RadLink". This will create a shortcut called "Clientr.radlnk", right click this and select "Properties". Under Properties select the "DirectX" tab. Click the drop down menu labeled "Z Buffer Depth" and select "16,24;8 bit stencil", press apply in bottom left and then OK. Now start AO using the new "Clientr.radlnk" instead of the usual shortcut or way you used to start AO and you should get a notable performance boost.

Hope you work it out.

Update: Also when using Radeon series graphics cards do NOT set the graphics setting called "Offscreen Surface Technology" to ON. It is majorly bugged on Radeon cards and it has the sideeffect of bypassing all filters you might be running (such as anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering), on top of that it will reduce your framerate by 50-75%.

Downloadlink: RadLinker
    Last edited by Mastablasta; Jul 19th, 2004 at 15:00:33.
    Thor Mastablasta Hammersmith - Level 220, AI 30, LE 70 Clan Atrox Nano Technician - Setup
    The Red Brotherhood

I'm a Nano-Technician, don't ever expect me to fight unbuffed, alone or fair.

Means: about f'ing time :P
    Satenia: heresy <3
    Znore: Mastablasta <3
    Kinkstaah: I have agro from many mobs ;(
    Madarab: we are aoe class, we are supose to use pistols
    Marxgorm: the NT toolset does not fit into my raiding tactics

Someone, somewhere PLEASE sticky this? I've been getting random crashes, GPUrecovery errors and all sorts of stuff with my recently installed 9800PRO card, and this one post seems to have cured it.

Thank you

/prostrate
    There are times in all our lives when the questions asked of us will leave us no option but to give answers of which we are neither proud nor happy.

At these times, remember that it could be worse. The question that we may have to ask could be "would you like fries with that?"

I'm just launching "new" client to see
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."
    I am Luciesa - Octowuss - Ssupotco

still addicted since 2001-07-03 11:55:38

i have a x800 pro wonder if it will work for me, guess i'll try when i get home.
    T r a d e w i n d z . . .
    - S e m p e r | F i d e l i s
    Trader Exam Passed! 10/10

Hm, been playing some hours with that and didn't notice any changes on my 9700PRO. When or in what situations should I expect performance boost? After several zonings with memory all filled up? Or what?
    "Many philosophical problems are caused by such things as the simple inability to shut up."

it's smoothed out gameplay in general for me, and I'm up from an average 25-30 fps (1280x1024, 32bit) to around 40-50. It's changed overall performance for me, rather than at a specific point.
    There are times in all our lives when the questions asked of us will leave us no option but to give answers of which we are neither proud nor happy.

At these times, remember that it could be worse. The question that we may have to ask could be "would you like fries with that?"

Hm, I haven't noticed any fps improvement... I will try some running on OA hill or something like that

Anyone know how to fix this?
    Im running ATI Radeon 9000 family edition with latest driver, never have had this issue before just happened this week.. Red skies

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/...le/problem.jpg

I can only play for like 30 minutes before getting a head ache please help

fog on/off

repeat on every login or play with fog on

Thank you so much; Mastablasta!!!

Master Mastablasta,

Really this is the first time I find a solution for my ATi problem. After trying everything else this seems to work for me. Thank you so much! I can finally play again
    Being not able to play for a month!!! Even after buying a new card (ATI).

lot's of regards, me

Please make it sticky....

Great, okay I added it to Common Issues!

Originally posted by Soylentleets
    Anyone know how to fix this?
    Im running ATI Radeon 9000 family edition with latest driver, never have had this issue before just happened this week.. Red skies

http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/...le/problem.jpg

I can only play for like 30 minutes before getting a head ache please help

The memory of your graphic card may be out. But it can appear when it is too hot in the central unit. you should first try to play with unit opened, then check if it s not too hot.
    Akhtar ,
    Partner of the scientific labs of Broken Shores

Through the light of Darkness, I m still alive and feel the Sadness of the Universe...

When you start to see fire in your eyes when you are reading forums, then leave them and take a cold wash

Originally posted by Akhtar

The memory of your graphic card may be out. But it can appear when it is too hot in the central unit. you should first try to play with unit opened, then check if it s not too hot.
    Octopuss already gave him the sulution.

Originally posted by Octopuss
    fog on/off

repeat on every login or play with fog on

Well my computer sure isn't the latest and greatest (amd 1.4ghz, 768mb ram, at9700 pro 128mb) but i think my performance is rather low at times, will try this out, can't make it worse anyway
    Rimor Server
    Robotgubben lvl 173/14/29 engineer

I keep playing with the above suggested thing. I don't see any difference, but it surely doesn't hurt

Gonna try this soon, ever since I got my Ati card I've been having issues w/ SLs...I tried Omega Drivers..didn't really help either.

Bump!!

Ok more news: I didn't see any performance boost, but what I did notice was that my screen (or rather desktop) resolution gor fckd up and nothing helped, I had to uninstall Radlinker and finally made it back from 640x480 4bit color depth... ble
    I'm semi sure this happens to me also if I install new Catalysts... No matter what driver cleaner or uninstaller I use to remove the old ones..

i had good results with this tweak. i don't remember what my fps was on the Adonis brink before but i'm pretty sure it wasn't the 43 i've been getting since i did this.

One problem with the tweak. When you start AO it will run Anarchy.exe for the opening launcher to verify password and decide which char to play. It will then run Clientr.exe for the game. Completely bypassing radlink. Test it for yourself. Set Radlink to have a setting opposite of your video card settings. IE Turn on anti-aliassing only in the Radlink Clientr. It doesn't do anything.
    Martin
    Greyboar Rk2 MA ------- Ignace Rk2 Fixer
    Relaed Rk2 Trader------- Rascogne Rk2 Trader
    Volleyball Rk2 MP ------- Yvonne Rk2 MP
    DirtyHarry Rk2 Enf ------ Zulkeh Rk2 Engineer
    Dara Rk2 Adv----------- Marechal Rk2 Soldier
    DrZhivago Rk2 Doc ----- NurseJoann Rk2 Doc

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast