Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Casting Problems

Casting Problems

Can someone please point me to a thread that mentions addressing the casting problems and has some kind of 'official' acknowlegement of the issue.

I know a small portion of the problem is listed in the latest wish-list (around about #9) dealing with casting animation on 2/1 nukes... but what about the black-hole/bots are busy/greyed out/must stand still bugs?
    If a plethora of members of the player community continuously complain about a bug that affects every (casting) class, then why is the player community not being asked how to recreate the problem so that it can be fixed? Why is the problem just being blatantly, consistantly ignored?

Quote Originally Posted by frostblast
    in short, the nt situation is a mix of a monthy pytom movie with a snuff film.

anyone?
    Last edited by Idtant; Aug 4th, 2004 at 05:15:57.

THere is no offical response.

BUT.

As Nts we see it day in day out we interupt our own nano casting get messages that we are in recharge but we aint. ...yadydayda.....

All seen it, all know it.

Phinger
    Level 220 Nanotech
    Highangel - Level 212 Crat
    and a 205 MP (Used to buff Phinger ....now buffs everyone else)

You hit Stefan Messamore with nanobots for 14295 points of radiation damage.

Originally posted by Fingers
    All seen it, all know it.
    ... and nobody is talking about it.

I fully logged my last session and counted the number of times I've been unable to cast (non-nuke-key-smashing/self interrupts, just the 'bots are busy', etc. problems) and ended up with 18% of my attempted nukes being either 'unable to cast' or black-holed (though I did have one instance of 'cant cast while falling' wtf?).

Want an 18% boost to effectiveness? Fix the pervasive casting problems, already.

What I don't understand is why this is not el primero numero uno on the all-time/every-class bug list. Perhaps because deck NTs cast more than any other class, it's more noticable... but if 18% of all CHs fell into a black hole then maybe we'd have more attention paid to a very debilitating set of bugs.
    Last edited by Idtant; Aug 4th, 2004 at 05:16:12.

NTs is the only prof that really suffers from theese bugs... in other words, it's a small worthless problem Screw the casting fix, give uss 18 % more damage hehehehe

Well its a problem with us tryinbg to smash and sync our client and to the game.

the work around would be probably upload the deck wit a nuke we want to use press Q and bam......no more us screwing up the timing......increased effectiveness.

Thus u see the problem.

It comes down to time to fix it ........and Funcom probably dont have the time for what they perceive as only a small issue.

Phinger
    Level 220 Nanotech
    Highangel - Level 212 Crat
    and a 205 MP (Used to buff Phinger ....now buffs everyone else)

You hit Stefan Messamore with nanobots for 14295 points of radiation damage.

Originally posted by Fingers
    It comes down to time to fix it ........and Funcom probably dont have the time for what they perceive as only a small issue.
    And my point is that if 18%-ish of all CHs or Specials fell into a black-hole (not a miss nor a resist... just didnt happen), then there would be alot more attention paid to the issue.

I fail to see why there is not an official recognition of the problem instead of half-measure cast/step workarounds (for a very small portion of the casting problem) and some whistling in the dark.

I know it's a problem, our professionals know it's a problem, anyone who's played the NT profession knows how crippling this is to the profession... so why isn't it recognized? Just because the problem is potentially 'hard to fix' in no way lessens the impact of a fundamentally flawed game mechanic.
    Last edited by Idtant; Aug 4th, 2004 at 05:16:33.

Soldiers were tired breaking their fingers buying ammo ... someone wrote click.

Everyone was tired of breaking their fingers rolling missions ... someone wrote clicksaver.

NTs are tired of mashing the same nuke key over and over and blackholing due to timing errors ..

someone write autonuke please
    Nelle, RK2 Clan Keeper
    Triskweline, RK2 Clan NT
    Zubrus, Grumpy Old Crat

I think I adressed this somewhere in another thread. I suggested that they changed the casting time to approx the casting time od RB. Every nt over 205 (estimated) probably have rb and I like the casting time. The recharge is decent, could be a little faster, and the attack time is nice. And besides, every nt over 214 knows how fast the cycle goes in their sleep. That would´nt be so hard...right?

/ny
    Nyere 220 NanoTech Veteran of Forsaken

Mostly Harmless

You'd think Funcom would have figured out by now that just adding .5 seconds to the recharge, and taking .5 seconds off of the casting time, and minimum cast speed of every SL nuke would make every single NT player happier. This isn't the only fix that we need to make our profession come close to what we're described by Funcom as being, but it's a step in the right direction, and seem so so so easy to implement.
    Corinthians - 220 Nano Technician
    Pickygirl - 220 Engineer
    Pink - 220 Fixer
    Israel - 220 Keeper
    Israeli - 220 Shade
    Amenadiel - 165 Soldier
    Maitrize - 173 Martial Artist

Quote Originally Posted by corinthians
    {Etaks: Do not post this again.}

Originally posted by Corinthians
    You'd think Funcom would have figured out by now that just adding .5 seconds to the recharge, and taking .5 seconds off of the casting time, and minimum cast speed of every SL nuke would make every single NT player happier. This isn't the only fix that we need to make our profession come close to what we're described by Funcom as being, but it's a step in the right direction, and seem so so so easy to implement.
    Many of our concerns could be easily fixed with a little item adding and item modification.

Add init to deck. Simple to do.
    Balance recharge and casting times on nukes. Easily done, and if done right don't bother with the init on the deck = even less work
    Add init+int to exterm eye. Easily done.
    Copy+paste in new layers, roots, mezzes, blinds etc. Easily done, the templates are there already.

All these things would be considered good by the NT profession, and it would hardly cost any time at all. Just a handfull of DB entries that need to be modified. Doesn't seem like we are asking for much when it get's put like this....
    Delerium(220/30/70), Locklear(220/30/70), Piggybank(60/6/14).

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?"

Richard Dawkins: We are all atheists about most of the gods that societies have ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further.
    Deng: Every time I see Del I just start to quiver.

Its not just Nts who have the problem with casting nanos.. Everypone casting anything with a Keeper in team can also get these problems.. Its the auras that do it. afaik.. Happened with my keeper in a team once.. and it hadnt happened without a keeper in team.. the doc said atleast.

Originally posted by Charfbiz2
    Its not just Nts who have the problem with casting nanos..
    Correct, every casting class is affected by this problem... it's just that NTs cast more often and are affected to a greater degree.

Everypone casting anything with a Keeper in team can also get these problems.. Its the auras that do it. afaik.. Happened with my keeper in a team once..
    The Keeper aura is only one of many conditions where casts get tossed into /dev/null. It's very noticable, and very buggy... but it's not the only casting problem. You know it, I know it, Keepers surely get an earfull about it... but FC just seems to slip out of the room whenever the subject comes up.

If a plethora of members of the player community continuously complain about a bug that affects every (casting) class, then why is the player community not being asked how to recreate the problem so that it can be fixed? Why is the problem just being blatantly, consistantly ignored?

(FC didn't kill Kennedy... but I'm sure they had something to do with Roswell :P )

and it hadnt happened without a keeper in team.. the doc said atleast.
    Can, and does... it's just happens more often with Keeper aura's.
    Last edited by Idtant; Aug 4th, 2004 at 05:16:56.

Originally posted by Triskweline
    Soldiers were tired breaking their fingers buying ammo ... someone wrote click.

Everyone was tired of breaking their fingers rolling missions ... someone wrote clicksaver.

NTs are tired of mashing the same nuke key over and over and blackholing due to timing errors ..

someone write autonuke please
    i cant remember whom it was but someone actually came up with an idea that involved not nessarily being able to Autonuke, but in stead incorporating a Que system in the game which would que the nuke until the game can cast it. i.e. instead of the game saying something like unable to cast nanobots are recharging....it would say unable to cast nano program has been uploaded into a que.....

well something to that affect it was a long time ago to so..
    Bushido is the way of the warrior. Nirvana is the path of true enlightenment. NTs must struggle to confine themselves as Warriors in this world,while still maintaining the path of wisdom.
    Chrioset-195/7 Nanomage/NT
    Duesentas-199/8 Atrox/Enfo
    Iloveshiz-131/0 Solitus/Fixer (no GA twinkage)
    Chriosat-88/0 Nanomage/Trader (wannabe Tradeskiller)
    Gualo - 155/2 Nanomage/Engy (the Real TSer)
    FUN COM, Please Make NT's the top Damge Dealers Again!!!!!!
    AO Mainframe-Click here - Down indefinitly
    Auno-Click here

My understanding (and I may be wrong), was that any attempt to create anything similar to an autonuke capability would be considered an exploit and result in getting banned. Just wanted to get that out there in case this thread got people motivated to do something along those lines without knowing the potential consequences.
    CFGauss - NT
    Fido - Enforcer
    LXXXVI - Agent
    Perouze - Doctor
    Michelson - Engineer
    Zurd - Keeper

And a herd of sub 200 kids

Originally posted by Mutant
    My understanding (and I may be wrong), was that any attempt to create anything similar to an autonuke capability would be considered an exploit
    You're right. Anything from out-of-game that could potentially earn you afk XP is a clear no-no.

In-game queueing would only work if the queue was server-side and was not subject to the same black-holeing issues the client is. Regardless, it's not exactly what one would consider as low-lying fruit from a dev standpoint. That's assuming you can even get someone to even acknowledge that there is a problem... something that has not been accomplished to date.

NT23824: Hey, something is seriously wrong when 1/5th of everything I do in game is just ignored by the client.

<crickets>
    Last edited by Idtant; Aug 4th, 2004 at 05:17:13.

This is similar to the extra time it take to do any nanos if in wolf or hunter form? Or is it just the nano-casting bars that are tricking me more if polymorphed?

At least does it seem to take more time to get the nano up and running if I've tried to start a nano "too early" (nanobots recharging).

Also curious if this is similar to the extra lag I get when spamming ma-attacks, anyone know? (not tried that lately, so perhaps improved in some patch)

Originally posted by Idtant

Hey, something is seriously wrong when 1/5th of everything I do in game is just ignored by the client.
    jeez, i'd fathome to say it's probably higher than 1/5 of everything i do..
    combat alone..jeeeeeeeeez

Originally posted by Idtant
    The Keeper aura is only one of many conditions where casts get tossed into /dev/null. It's very noticable, and very buggy... but it's not the only casting problem. You know it, I know it, Keepers surely get an earfull about it... but FC just seems to slip out of the room whenever the subject comes up.
    Actually... FC did attempt to fix this one a while back. But it opened up a whole plethora of issues (on test), the worst one being that nanos actually stopped wearing off for a while (imagine the stun nano that Malah-Anas have being permanent.) So insofar as the Keeper aura problem goes, FC have acknowledged the problem, but I believe it was said at the time that it was simply too difficult to fix in the time they had.

I agree though, the whole casting deal does need to be looked at. I have never blackholed a heal as a doc.. so why do nukes blackhole as an NT? Always wondered about that.

Council of Testers on Testlive. Bugsy!

Tinorpel: youve played NT too much, other profession have a special ability called damage mob

Originally posted by Byrn
    I agree though, the whole casting deal does need to be looked at. I have never blackholed a heal as a doc.. so why do nukes blackhole as an NT? Always wondered about that.
    I think it has alot to do with the # and speed of casts. Doc's try to ride the line of 'heal as much as you have to, not as much as you can' and end up having time between cool-down and next-cast. NT, it's all cast-cast-cast.

We can minimize a small portion of the problem by cast/step... but it's not 100%, annoying as hell and only applies to certain situations. This doesn't apply to Docs since they do not have animations of the same type/duration and tied to the cast. (We actually have 3 timers... 2 are part of the game-mechanic, one is a @#$%# bug. Our timers are attack, recharge, casting animation. We just take a step during the cool-down after each cast to break the casting animation and clear it's timer.)
    This isn't really black-hole... just 'bots are busy'. Keeper auras are true black-hole.

Casting has more problems than a bunch of politicians at a hooker convention... and absolutely no recognition of the issues, even though every class that can cast a nano can be affected.
    Last edited by Idtant; Aug 4th, 2004 at 05:17:30.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast