Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP/GeForce Owner, READ HERE!

I've been throwing this around in random threads about zone crashing, as it worked miracles for me.

If you have a SBLive based sound card, try turning off all sound (not down, off). This fixed my zoning problems, as well as the crash a few minutes after loggin in problems, as well as most of my crash sometimes when loading a bunch of new graphics problems.

After playing without sound most of the time since release, I recently purchased a SB Extigy external soundcard. I have since been able to turn the sound back on and have no major problems with zoning or crashing. I also had no problems on a different system that was using an internal Crystal-based sound chipset, but that might have been a fluke.

I have posted this to a few other people, and it has worked for them as well. I don't know if it is a good generic fix, but it certainly worked for me and a few others.

Second solution I have seen (might even be the same issue really) is that if you can reconfigure your system so that nothing is sharing an IRQ with your videocard and sound card (difficult on an acpi system sometimes) then that fixes a myriad of lockups and crashes.

Hope this helps someone.

Re: Windows XP/GeForce Owner, READ HERE!

Originally posted by Cronarian

NEW! If you own a "generic" GeForce card, chances are it's actually a Visiontek card. Grab the 15.7 WHQL drivers from their website (these are actually the 14.7, but different somehow, haven't pinned it down yet.). It's extremely important that you restore the registry to normal and remove ANY tweaking programs, as well as uninstall your current nVidia drivers before this upgrade. Otherwise your first restart with them will be very harsh. Also, tweaking programs do not recognize the drivers as 14.7, so unless you can manualy specify it, do not overclock or fiddle with them (If you must, RivaTuner is the best).

what do you mean by generic? I have a GeForce 3 Visiontek basic card (one of the first ones that came out). I run Win2K on a 1 gig P3 with 512 PC133 RAM, and occasionally have a graphic bug or AO locks up when i go thru a whompa to a busy area (aka 20k). No biggie since i can just close down the AO process in task manager. Tend to need to do this every couple of hours anyways to clear out the 260 some MB of memory that AO has used up. Been tryin to increase my framerate which rarely gets above 20 fps in outdoor areas where no one is around; even worse in places like trade and BB in east ent. indoors is fine of course.

Another fix for the weird text is to turn off manual control of Anti-Aliasing in your video cards settings and set it back to automatic.
    Long Live Fizban! Or is it Zifnab?

Haplo23 - 68 Omni Fixer
    Slimtinkerer - 57 Omni Eng

I, too, have a Visiontek.. They are hardly generic anymore. While they used to make "white box" Geforce and some Geforce 2 cards, they have entered into the consumer market with the Geforce3+'s.

If you have a Visiontek card, btw, look around on the net. They are one of the best cards on the market.

For people w/ XP that are still having a lot of the bluescreen issues, setting FSAA to completely disabled fixed my bluescreening. As for the people that are getting random video lag issues, check and make sure your video card is on a unique IRQ. Win2000 and WinXP are both designed to try and route several devices through as little as 1 IRQ. Last fresh install I did, XP was trying to route my NIC, USB, Video, Sound, and TV-In card all through one IRQ.

What does FSAA stand for?

/Trickaro

FSAA=Full Scene Anti-Aliasing, which means it smooths out the jaggies you see on edges of polygons, something the PS2 has trouble with. On newer cards, like a geforce 2 or 3, you can manually change it so that it is 1x, 2x, or even 4x AA, but you take a performance hit when you go up higher. The default setting is automatic, meaning you let the game itself decide what to use.

I'm currently looking into changing the IRQ settings for my devices manually, since I know some are sharing the same one as my GF3. Haven't done this before, so I made a hardware profile copy in case I mess up the first one.
    Long Live Fizban! Or is it Zifnab?

Haplo23 - 68 Omni Fixer
    Slimtinkerer - 57 Omni Eng

Post I think I fixed my issues

Sorry for the cross post, but I figured people would want to see my solution for my WinXP/GeForce4 issues.

http://forums.anarchy-online.com/sho...0&pagenumber=4

My XP hell

I used to run AO under 2k and it would bomb to the desktop about 2-3 times in an 8 hours period.. which I could handle. I was using the 12.4.1 WHQL drivers as they were stable and everything ran fine.. when I tried to go more up to date, the crashes would grow more frequent and the computer would randomly reset.

Anyway, I upgraded to XP.. still using the (unsupported) 12.4.1 drivers and suffered seriously reduced performance.. so I plucked up courage and downloaded the latest WHQL drivers from nVidia.. being the 2.9.4.2 drivers and within two hours I'd had a reset and then two hours later got a full on critical stop BSOD with a memory dump to the hard disk.

I then found this thread.. hurrah, I thought, my prayers are answered.. I downloaded this beta VIA driver, installed it and can say that I haven't had a reboot or a BSOD since then, but I am crashing to the desktop frequently.. and this time the AO server wont let me log back on lol.. so I'm writing this.

Anyway, the fix ain't fixed it.. is there anything else I can do?

Athlon Tbird 1.2 266 fsb
    Via KT133a VIA beta driver
    Det 2.9.4.2
    256 mb PC133 cas2
    Generic SB16 drivers on AWE32
    Win XP, no service packs due to memory issues.

When he said 'generic', he meant cards that come with pre-configured systems like a Gateway or a Dell. I know VisionTek makes the GeForce2 GTS generic cards they stuck in my model Gateway. Basically, a more cheaply produced card for the big companies to stick in their machines and save money.

Possibly not video card problem?

Could something besides video card issues be causing a similar sort of issue, not so much with crashing but with frequent disconnections/lag that are not my isp and funcom claims are not its isp either? This computer is winxp + geforce but my other cmputer on the network, with the same problems is winxp with stock HP graphics drivers and it does a little better but still no luck ...I've reinstalled, reformatted, etc. can't get game to work...was thinking at first that it was a software problem on my end but if thats the case why then did the game work, as smoothly as cna be expected from FC, for the first 6 months I played with the exact same configuration??

The problem is that FunCom is using "Not so tested" functionality in Direct X wich causes arrors in the drivers to lock the machine.

I have certen caves that is 100% sure to reboot my machine 5-10 times on a mission. But I tried the latest driver (I don't know how old it is) and it seems to solved my problems.

The driver is the WHOL 29.42 Have been in a lot of those caves today without a single crash.
    Once a gimp, always a gimp

I use to have random lockups, reboots with GF4, win89SE on an Abit kx7 MB

After I set AGP to 2x and turned off realistic sunrays it was stable for 6 hours straight. Only tested in one night tho.

It still crashed after i turned AGP to 2x.
    Turning off tut the realistic sunrays fixed the problem. I havent tried tio set AGP back to 4X yet

Shenu

"NEW! If you own a "generic" GeForce card, chances are it's actually a Visiontek card. Grab the 15.7 WHQL drivers from their website (these are actually the 14.7, but different somehow, haven't pinned it down yet.). It's extremely important that you restore the registry to normal and remove ANY tweaking programs, as well as uninstall your current nVidia drivers before this upgrade. Otherwise your first restart with them will be very harsh. Also, tweaking programs do not recognize the drivers as 14.7, so unless you can manualy specify it, do not overclock or fiddle with them (If you must, RivaTuner is the best)."
    Since when?
    Last edited by Strayduck; Oct 29th, 2002 at 01:00:50.
    :: Disco "Strayduck" Duck - Equipment - History ::

Unhappy pls help me..

23.11 driver does NOT have geforce4 *.inf file..
    that driver for gf2 or gf3 NOT supported gf4 :|

also detanator destroyer's last version not working propery with XP pro..

but updating Main board's driver worked for dumping memory screens.. it is working (thanx alot)

but i have still driver problem for gf4.. i could not find any driver works good with AO..

i tried card's driver which came by cd.. (freezing),
    tried card's last diver from its official site.. (freezing),
    tried XP's default driver (freezing),
    tried Nvidia's last driver which version is 40.72 (crushing),
    tried Nvidia's driver version 30.82 (could not even log on the game)
    23.11 doesnt even have gf4 support..
    Nvidia's driver which version 28.32 (best of worst; can login but freezing while playing)

how can I make my card works with AO???

system info:
    XP Pro on pent III 600
    3x128 mb Ram (133 mhz)
    Asus main board
    Leadtek Winfast A250 LE gf4 ti 2400 graphic card..

is it card or game?? i bought this card new and could not play since..

help meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    I'm just an angel.. flying blindly..

[ Docnyks ] level 217 Doctor and gear
    [ Aquadiss ] level 203 Nano Technician (Resting till get back calming abilities in SL) and gear
    [ Wylna ] level 188 Engineer and gear

[ Tranquility ]

"it'll be a real long time..."

when am i going to beable to use my geforce 4 mx for dual monitors AND play ao? i've been waiting for 5 months and i'v gotten no word.

Just want to mention that I have run AO on:
    - GeForce 256
    - GeForce 3 Ti200
    - GeForce 3 Ti4400
    and all of them with all sorts of different drivers, both official and "leaked" beta's. And I never had any trouble at all. I'm not saying that there's no problems with GF4, but it might be connected to other hardware too. Always remember to use the latest official drivers for ALL the hardware: motherboard chipset, soundcard, NIC, HD controller, etc.

I had a problem some years ago where I couldn't use my printer! because of a driver conflict between my graphics card and my sound card. Just because the graphics looks weird, don't assume it must be the detonator driver that's the fault. Finding the right drivers for ALL the hardware can be a severe pain in most peoples behinds.

Oh yeah, be carefull not to play too much around with driver settings. There are loads of settings in there that sound really good, but alas they are not. Not all settings work like You expect them to, and also lots of games are made to work best with the drivers default setting. I don't know how sensitive AO is, but I have seen too many games run like #¤%& because people play around with settings they are not supposed to.
    Ghump - a member of Ragnarok

My hovercraft is full of eels

For everybody having problems with IRQ-settings of Win2k

You can change the IRQ settings if you switch ACPI off. At my computer this solved the problem of random freezes.

How u can do this is stated on this site:
    http://www.experts-exchange.com/Oper..._20241806.html

just don't assign the same IRQ on you graphics card and soundcard

I crash everytime when on the Anarchy Loading Screen, I need some help, is there something wrong with my card, or is it XP? How do I fix it?

I Run Xp and a NVIDIA Geforce2 MX/MX 400

Originally posted by Ghump
    Just want to mention that I have run AO on:
    - GeForce 256
    - GeForce 3 Ti200
    - GeForce 3 Ti4400
    good for you, sadly, the g4 are the ones that dont work

Re: pls help me..

Originally posted by Aquadiss
    how can I make my card works with AO???

system info:
    XP Pro on pent III 600
    3x128 mb Ram (133 mhz)
    Asus main board
    Leadtek Winfast A250 LE gf4 ti 2400 graphic card..

is it card or game?? i bought this card new and could not play since..
    If you know your way around the BIOS, try lowering the AGP to 2x.
    This usually helps Nvidia cards, this since they are power hogs and older motherboards have trouble feeded the required 1.5V in enough amps. But by switching to 2x to switches that to 3V and they usually can cope with that.

Yeah, you loose some performance... but not that much.. 5-10% or so.
    Dhur the Ninja Pirate NT!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast