Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP/GeForce Owner, READ HERE!

Windows XP/GeForce Owner, READ HERE!

Okay, so you got XP and it rocks, right? Wrong, because unfortunatly the monkeys at MS, nVidia, and VIA left some tasty bugs in their drivers/systems for you to fix. These solutions are for those who can not run AO or can not keep AO stable (or any other D3D game for that matter). They're not official, just the result of some research I've been doing trying to get my system good (which I finally did )....

• Infinite Loop (Blue Screen crash) - A lot of the time this will look like the computer has just randomly restarted. It hasn't, XP has crashed and automatically restarted itself. This is most prevalent among VIA motherboard chipset owners, so here's your fix.... here. You can read the official VIA post about it here. Basically it comes down to XP and the nVidia drivers pushing the VIA stuff too hard..... go figure.
      NEW! If you own a "generic" GeForce card, chances are it's actually a Visiontek card. Grab the 15.7 WHQL drivers from their website (these are actually the 14.7, but different somehow, haven't pinned it down yet.). It's extremely important that you restore the registry to normal and remove ANY tweaking programs, as well as uninstall your current nVidia drivers before this upgrade. Otherwise your first restart with them will be very harsh. Also, tweaking programs do not recognize the drivers as 14.7, so unless you can manualy specify it, do not overclock or fiddle with them (If you must, RivaTuner is the best).
    • Refresh Rate Stuck - Some (not a lot) of people are having a hard time getting XP to use any refresh setting besides 60mhz. And let's face it, that doesn't work for a lot of us. Well, this is a known issue with MS (there is a KB article about it, but I can't find it, lost all my bookmarks the other day ), and while this is not an "official" fix, it works. Get it from here.
    • Various Weird Crashes/Glitches - DO NOT OVERCLOCK YOUR GEFORCE UNDER XP. That's the important part. Seems XP is very picky with how some hardware works.... also, try using the 21.83 drivers or the latest WHQLs, 23.11. Both are very stable and work excellently with most games. If you need to reinstall your drivers, use Detonator Destroyer first (available here). This will make sure that the files you install when you update your drivers go in correctly. (Thanks go to Smaugh_the_Thief, original thread here). Also, check your system tempature! A lot of people have their GeForce cards crammed into a whole gang of cards, so the tempature for the card is actually about +10 or 20F than your system temp, and when the card overheats, it stops working properly.
    • System Hang/Crash with no Error - Make sure that you have proper sound card drivers (hard to do with Creative Labs cards right now....) and that you have not fiddled with DirectX at all. Most often this is caused by a conflict between the video card and sound card (WinXP tends to assign them both the same IRQ) that only seems to occur while DirectX is being used. You can try to bypass APCI and force the video card and sound card to seperate IRQs, but I have yet to find a way to do that in XP.
    • Crash while Zoning - Right now, I'm a little fuzzy on this one. If this is a constant trouble for you, try disabling Hardware T&L (select "Microsoft Direct3D Hardware acceleration through Direct3D HAL" instead of "Microsoft Direct3d Hardware Transform and Lighting acceleration capable device") (Thanks go to Bugur, original thread here.). If that doesn't work, try the other solutions as well.

Hope this helps everyone, and if you repost it somewhere else, please give me credit where credit is deserved. If you have trouble, just respond here or give me a shout in game. Hopefully I'll be updating this again real soon.

(Just remember, that these are not official Funcom solutions, so if you break something doing it, it's your fault. I mean, come on, XP has a freaking restore point function for crying out loud. Use it before trying any of this.)
    Last edited by Aledif; Jan 19th, 2002 at 08:26:49.

Good God I hope that works. I posted a thread a while back and recieved a ho-hum answer from Technical Support. Hoping to solve this issue (and it works quite well actually) I switched my RAM and BUS speed back to 100MHz default, disabled Fastwrites, lowered Arp. to 128MB RAM and went to UC compression. I barely ever crash now (albeit I have lowered framerate), but I will try that first fix and let you know if it works.

Me too?

I too installed XP and I have a GeForce 2 200/400mx. My problem is that when i sign on the screen loads then all of a sudden freezes! Then windows restarts and sends an error report etc...

What do you do about that. FC is no help!
    Ok so why?????How so??? Or maybe what? Stay tuned!

Try the above solutions anyway.

Also, for people who have problems these solutions don't fix, post your system specs, otherwise, I can't really help you.

I use Windows Xp\Ti500 Geforce graphics card and ever since the 13 patch i've been getting constant crashes to the desktop. I can be on for as little as 30 seconds before i crash or, 5 mins or 20 but the crashes are constant and extremely frustrating.

I've sent an email to support and the only reply i got from them (which took a week) was that they dont support Window XP.

System specs are below:

Windows XP
    Athlon 1800+
    Abit KG7
    512MB DDR Ram
    WinFast GeForce Ti500
    SB Live

cordially yours

Starfire.

what???

How could such a big game not support WIndows XP? COme on FC get with the technology program and make it XP compatable!
    Ok so why?????How so??? Or maybe what? Stay tuned!

Hey,

Im running Win XP professional, i get this blue screen:
    "IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
    or something to that effect, whenever i start AO.

My system:

AMD 1.3 gig
    768 MB ram (pc133)
    Asus v7700 GeForce Ultra (64 mb ddr)
    (dont know what sound card..)

Please help if you can =)

Unhappy If only it were on VIA motherboards, then my problem would be fixed!

I have been experiencing the random resets and freezes myself as well and I have an Intel motherboard. I have actually had this problem occur on two motherboards the Intel 815EEA (PIII 815 Chipset) and the Intel D850GB (PIV 850 Chipset). I have found that the computer is perfectly stable when using the default drivers that come with WindowsXP which work fine, sans tweaking utilities that come with the ones directly from nVidia. However, when I used the 21.81/21.83 drivers from nVidia I began having these problems. To fix the refresh rate issue I just downloaded nvrefresh utility off the internet and voila! problem solved. The only real downfall of the generic drivers that come with XP is the complete and utter lack of an OpenGL ICD - mini or full which poses a problem for those running games such as Quake3 as well.

If anyone knows of a similar fix for Intel boards as mentioned in the original posts for the VIA based boards, please post up so I can get my computer running as well as it did with WinME! Thanks
    W0t0 Guild Advisor, Rubi-Ka 2

Eorwen - 1117 Attrox Enforcer
    Kinatro - 54 Opifex Agent (Doh! First character syndrom!)
    PyreWraith - 38 Nano Mage NT
    Fantazm - 46 Opifex Agent (Doing him right this time!)
    Kynatro - 45 Solitus MA
    Jadys - 30 Nano Mage Beurocrat

Wink Lol, new drivers!

Just after posting I checked nVidia's site, guess what - New Drivers! (23.11) Well, gonna try em out and re-post after testing is finished. Here's hoping!

Kynatro - 45 Solitus MA

Talking Good Deal

Yay! So far its been a day since I installed the latest drivers (23.11) and they work perfectly!

Kynatro - 45 Solitus MA

Well, i have heavy problems with some kind of lag or freezes....
    Its different from Zone to Zone, even in Missions where no other people are around...i dont think that its a connection issue (DSL)but who knows...

800 AMD Duron
    512MB Ram
    1GB Swap Partition
    64MB Gforce 2 MX 400
    Nvidia 21.82 (or was it 21.83 ? didnt remember)
    Win98SE

Is it worth to change back to the old Nvidia 12.43 Drivers ??
    I dont hope so....

Constant Blue Screen Crashing

I am constantly crashing to a blue screen then auto rebooting, immediately after log on. I have tried several things to corresct this but to no avail, any more suggestions would be great

AsusA7A 266 Motherboard
    AMD 1333 Tbird
    512 DDR
    windows XP
    Visiontek Geforce3 ti200
    Soundblaster 16 PCI soundcard

Flashed bios up to current
    installed latest drivers for ALI AGP
    Installed latest detonator drivers
    Not overheating
    Reinstalled AO
    Reinstalled XP
    Updated sound card drivers to XP compatable current
    Tried both adapter choices in AO settings
    Tried both 16 and 32 color depth

I installed the new Detonator XP drivers, and now AO runs at 75hz instead of 60hz.. good news so far.

Infinite Loop (Blue Screen crash) - A lot of the time this will look like the computer has just randomly restarted. It hasn't, XP has crashed and automatically restarted itself. This is most prevalent among VIA motherboard chipset owners, so here's your fix.... here. You can read the official VIA post about it here. Basically it comes down to XP and the nVidia drivers pushing the VIA stuff too hard..... go figure.
    My God that has been driving me up the wall! Thing is that I am running Win98SE and that is exactly what it does; The computer will also just randomly Freeze up, which means I have to do a hard reboot. Often happens 3-4 times a night. Thanks for the info!
    Sinclare
    LV 63 Adventurer
    RubiKa2

Re: Windows XP/GeForce Owner, READ HERE!

Infinite Loop (Blue Screen crash) - A lot of the time this will look like the computer has just randomly restarted. It hasn't, XP has crashed and automatically restarted itself. This is most prevalent among VIA motherboard chipset owners, so here's your fix.... here. You can read the official VIA post about it here. Basically it comes down to XP and the nVidia drivers pushing the VIA stuff too hard..... go figure.
    Been there done that. I've tried the fix, the newest 4in1 via drivers, newest nvidia drivers and some beta drivers. Nothing helps, only seems to make it worse But in faq they write about some drivers 23.41 and i havent found them yet so maybe it will come a fix for this crash. Sometimes I get bsod with "error in nopaged area" or something. Any help will be good. Hopefully i get response because otherwise I need to buy a new Hd to install a new os on.

My pc :

msi k7t266 pro2
    AMD XP 1800
    Elsa Geforce3 920
    1.5 gb ddr ram ecc/reg
    onboard sound(But with same prob with a SB live card)

Thumbs up this will fix it

use the 20.10 drivers. this will fix the problem. download them at www.3dfiles.com.

/tell tradah on rk1 for donations

Thumbs up

I dl and installed the 23.11 drivers last night and I believe it did make a big difference. I only had 1 case where the computer locked up and I had to do a hard reboot and that was after ~5 hrs of straight play.
    Sinclare
    LV 63 Adventurer
    RubiKa2

To IronIce's Xp post

Maybe becouse win XP wasunder development when anarchy online already was new.. win XP is a fairly new OS, ALL new OS's have bugs, thats a fact. Install Win 2000 or win 98/ME instead, since there is updates to these OS's, So u can get it to run stable.

Talking

You are all a bunch of lewsers

Naah, i'm just kidding

But AO has NEVER (mabe once in a month) crashed on me, and I'm running windows XP on the following hardware:

Athlon XP1800+
    Asusu v8200 pure 23.11 drivers
    Some MSI motherboard with a VIA bios
    512 MB twinmos DDR RAM
    Built in soundcard (shoot me, it works fine for my use)

A tip perhaps (I'm not using this, but I know it works, at least on games):
    Look on the properties on the .exe file of AO. There it is a tab called Compatibility. Now, set that to win98 (or win2k, but havent tested that). Now AO should be (hopefully) a bit more stable.
    Please not that when using the compability mode, it uses a bit more system resourses, so u might be forced to turn dow youre graphics setting

Windows XP Professional/GeForce 2 MX400

Hi,
    I keep getting a weird effect on gametext in any D3D game. The text is bold, oddly coloured and has a speckle/distortion effect all around it making it hard to read.

----

Athlon 1.4ghz
    768mb PC-100
    Windows XP Prof
    ASUS M/B with the 1007 BIOS
    ViaTech 4-in-1 (v1.37)
    DetonatorXP (23.11)

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast